PDA

View Full Version : All Star Game

MikeThierry
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Here is a link to the All Star ballot. Vote early and vote often :)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2011/ballot.jsp?tcid=MLBleftrail-asgballot-2011

PS... I'm not voting all Cardinals, lol.

Ghosts of 1990
05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Just vote for Bruce and Phillips if need be. They deserve to be there. I've been voting about 75 times a day.

Pathetic that Bruce is 12th in the vote.

MikeThierry
05-31-2011, 11:28 PM
I did vote Bruce and Phillips. Though you all will probably hate me for my 1st baseman choice, haha

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I did vote Bruce and Phillips. Though you all will probably hate me for my 1st baseman choice, haha

So long as you didn't vote Yadier, I promise I won't hold it against you :beerme:

MikeThierry
06-01-2011, 01:37 AM
So long as you didn't vote Yadier, I promise I won't hold it against you :beerme:

I voted for Yadier. He is having a very good offensive year. He actually has the highest batting average of all the catchers in the NL who qualify.

11larkin11
06-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Was close for me for Bruce. Braun, Holliday, Berkman, Kemp, and Bruce are all right there. If only people actually cared about defense in these votings...

LvJ
06-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Adrian Gonzalez
Joey Votto

Robinson Cano
Brandon Phillips

Asdrubal Cabrera
Jose Reyes

Adrian Beltre
Chipper Jones (so long)

JP Arencibia
Jonathan Lucroy

Travis Hafner

Jose Bautista
Curtis Granderson
Jacob Ellsbury

Jay Bruce
Matt Kemp
Ryan Bruan

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Was close for me for Bruce. Braun, Holliday, Berkman, Kemp, and Bruce are all right there. If only people actually cared about defense in these votings...

If you're talking about in order to give the benefit of the doubt to Bruce, if they're caring about offense only Bruce's #'s are probably the best if not the best you can't have a top 3 without him, right?

Eric_the_Red
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I used to love everything about the All-Star Game, from voting to the HR Derby, to the pre-game introductions to the game itself.

Now I have a hard time caring about any of it. Am I becoming a grumpy old man? Is it Bud's fault? Probably a combination of factors.

11larkin11
06-01-2011, 11:10 AM
If you're talking about in order to give the benefit of the doubt to Bruce, if they're caring about offense only Bruce's #'s are probably the best if not the best you can't have a top 3 without him, right?

Again speaking strictly offensively, Bruce has the lowest OPS and OPS+ of the 5. Its not by much, but theres a clear advantage for the other 4 considering their big markets. Bruce obviously deserves to be in the running, but I wouldn't say that hands down Bruce deserves to go. We'll see if he continutes his May tear into June.

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
In case anyone is interested, here's a campaign from the Reds director of media relations JRamsey, he's organizes a Vote Reds Lunch each and every Wednesday. It's fun

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2011/06/01/vote-reds-lunch-today-at-noon-2/

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Adrian Gonzalez
Joey Votto

Robinson Cano
Brandon Phillips

Asdrubal Cabrera
Jose Reyes

Adrian Beltre
Chipper Jones (so long)

JP Arencibia
Jonathan Lucroy

Travis Hafner

Jose Bautista
Curtis Granderson
Jacob Ellsbury

Jay Bruce
Matt Kemp
Ryan Bruan

I agree with most of these. I'm not sure how you can justify leaving off both Berkman & Holliday though. They've been beasts. I think one of them should make it. I'd go Bruce, Berkman, Braun.

Big Klu
06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I have not voted for or watched an All-Star Game in over 10 years.

blumj
06-01-2011, 01:14 PM
If anyone wants AL tips, check out Alex Avila, Howie Kendrick, and Matt Joyce.

cumberlandreds
06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
If anyone wants AL tips, check out Alex Avila, Howie Kendrick, and Matt Joyce.

I voted for Joyce on my last 25 ballots.

All Star voting is very predjudicial. And I contribute to that. I refuse to vote for any Yankee or Cardinal player. :) I figure they will get more than enough votes from their own fans and plus I don't like them. Back in the 70's and 80's I never voted for a Dodger. Since they aren't a rival any longer I've mellowed towards them. I did vote for Kemp in the NL outfield.

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2011, 01:43 PM
It's going to come down to Bruce will be on the 'Final Vote' as Votto was last year. I don't have faith in Bruce Bochy to select him as one of the reserves.

LvJ
06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I agree with most of these. I'm not sure how you can justify leaving off both Berkman & Holliday though. They've been beasts. I think one of them should make it. I'd go Bruce, Berkman, Braun.

It's as simple as they are Cardinals and Matt Kemp has been equally good if not better and had the starry eyed baseball world following his every at bat for a few weeks in the season. But yeah, mostly because they are Cardinals. :laugh:

The Operator
06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure how you can justify leaving off both Berkman & Holliday though.They're Cardinals. :)

Imagine 'ol Chrissy having to explain their absence to his son. "Well Sam, there's this place called redszone.com and they're full of big meanie-heads who wouldn't vote for uncle Lance or uncle Matt. Now hurry off to your little league game, and remember to make sure the grounds crew has the mound just how you like it."

MikeThierry
06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Bruce. There are enough outfielders picked for the All Star team that it would be crazy if he didn't get in by the player/manager vote.

Homer Bailey
06-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Biggest Bruce fan in the world. Been documented through the years on RZ. Couldn't care less about his all star status. It says literally nothing about you as a player.

WebScorpion
06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Biggest Bruce fan in the world. Been documented through the years on RZ. Couldn't care less about his all star status. It says literally nothing about you as a player.
I think it's a fun experience for the players, especially the first time, but I'm not sure it's any better for them than the extra days of rest they'd get without being selected. That said, I'd like to see Jay get his first nod. what I really DON'T want to see is him participating in the HR Derby. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to SEE it, but I don't think it's worth messing with his swing for... I think he's in a touchy spot in his development where an event like the HR Derby, while fun, might have him altering his swing (consciously or unconsciously) to maximize his chances of winning and he may have trouble quickly getting back to his optimal swing. Please, NO HR Derby. :pray:

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't want Bruce in the HR derby either. Last thing we need is another oblique injury from trying to hit one 500 feet.

Fun to think about, but I don't think we have to worry about it. They have pre-determined who is in the HR hitting contest (I think you can vote on a select field and Bruce isn't in it).