PDA

View Full Version : What's the thought behind breaking up the lefites?

TOBTTReds
06-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Vs. LHP

Votto - .417/.481/.583/1.065
Bruce - .372/.426/.837/1.263

I mean, these numbers are ridiculous, especially for LH'ers. Seriously though, why put .286/.375/.381/.756 between them?

Is Dusty really this old school that he can't see the ridiculous success these guys have vs. LHP?

LvJ
06-04-2011, 03:26 PM
There is absolutely no reason to do this.

Votto will not get anything to hit with Rolen behind him and Bruce won't get anything to hit with Gomes behind him. He's making it easy for Kershaw.

I will be a happy man and this team will win a few more games whenever Dusty is no longer with us.

06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Kershaw destroys lefites, and I can see Bruce especially having problems with him.

LvJ
06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Kershaw destroys lefites The same can be said about Votto and Bruce.

06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
The same can be said about Votto and Bruce.

Just because they are crushing most lefties doesn't mean that they can handle one as tough as Kershaw. We all saw how bad they looked against Elbert last night.

Kershaw has a killer slider that gives all lefties fits. Plus it's not like Brice is hitting seventh. It's just one spot down.

traderumor
06-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Votto had a homer on a hanger and he was not pitched around. Rolen did nothing again. I thought it was silly to go back to this for the simple reason that it was clear that Votto/Bruce is making teams think about choosing their poison. Throwing Rolen in between them is simply creating an out at this point.

BCubb2003
06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Votto had a homer on a hanger and he was not pitched around. Rolen did nothing again. I thought it was silly to go back to this for the simple reason that it was clear that Votto/Bruce is making teams think about choosing their poison. Throwing Rolen in between them is simply creating an out at this point.

Yes, they say the order of the lineup doesn't really matter beyond number of at-bats, but I don't like giving the pitcher rest spots between the good hitters. Stringing Phillips, Votto, and Bruce together is more likely to give some good innings (and some bad innings when you get to the string of weak hitters, but the alternative is stranding a lot of runners throughout the game.)

WebScorpion
06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I think Dusty said they split them up because pitchers pitch differently to lefties than righties, altering pitch progression and sometimes even starting point and arm angles. The theory is that they find it harder to get into a groove when they're constantly switching back and forth. If you give them several guys in a row to pitch the same way they can more easily find a rhythm. I think this is a better explanation than defending against a late inning LOOGY.

Big Klu
06-08-2011, 12:35 AM
I think Dusty said they split them up because pitchers pitch differently to lefties than righties, altering pitch progression and sometimes even starting point and arm angles. The theory is that they find it harder to get into a groove when they're constantly switching back and forth. If you give them several guys in a row to pitch the same way they can more easily find a rhythm. I think this is a better explanation than defending against a late inning LOOGY.

I think it was Tom Glavine who said something similar to that once. He said that he loved it when opposing teams loaded up the lineup with righthanded hitters against him, because when he found his groove he would settle in and be really comfortable. Facing an occasional lefty made him refocus.