PDA

View Full Version : i would almost have to say

Maker_84
06-05-2011, 07:33 PM
that it's too late for Walt to make a deal. 5.5 games back with alot of injuries and the team playing awful, 1 or 2 moves would not be enough to salvage this season. There should have been something done in the offseason

bshall2105
06-05-2011, 07:48 PM
At one point in the season the Reds were 14-15, then they proceeded to go on a rampage ending up 8 games above .500. Those guys that led the rampage are the same guys on the team right now. We will have another hot streak sometime and catch and pass the Cardinals. They have been a streaky bunch all season.

SidneySlicker
06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
This is all long ways from being over. They'll get things straightened out. I just don't see the Cards keeping this pace up. Lohse won't pitch this way all year. Their defense is awful Berkman is bound to breakdown at some point. I just dont' see them putting it together for a full season.

VottoFan54
06-05-2011, 09:31 PM
This is all long ways from being over. They'll get things straightened out.

I completely agree, the Reds will be fine and they will have another hot streak, rebound, and IMO they WILL make the playoffs in some capacity weather they win the division or get the wild card.

Vottomatic
06-05-2011, 09:58 PM
This is all long ways from being over. They'll get things straightened out. I just don't see the Cards keeping this pace up. Lohse won't pitch this way all year. Their defense is awful Berkman is bound to breakdown at some point. I just dont' see them putting it together for a full season.

That's funny. I'm sure that's what Cardinal fans and players were saying last year about the Reds........that the Reds are playing above their heads, yadda, yadda, yadda. And interesting how it's the Reds, this year, who have broken down, fallen apart, etc.

Meanwhile, Berkman is having a great season. So is Lohse. So is Holliday. And Pujols is finding his groove now. Their pitching has been better than the Reds starting pitching.

It's looking like it's the Reds that have all the problems. Cardinals management made a move (Berkman) to bolster that lineup. Reds stood pat. Look which team is in first place.

Hmmmm.

will5979
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
That's funny. I'm sure that's what Cardinal fans and players were saying last year about the Reds........that the Reds are playing above their heads, yadda, yadda, yadda. And interesting how it's the Reds, this year, who have broken down, fallen apart, etc.

Meanwhile, Berkman is having a great season. So is Lohse. So is Holliday. And Pujols is finding his groove now. Their pitching has been better than the Reds starting pitching.

It's looking like it's the Reds that have all the problems. Cardinals management made a move (Berkman) to bolster that lineup. Reds stood pat. Look which team is in first place.

Hmmmm.

Yep, what you said...

Maker_84
06-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Hmmmm.

couldn't have been said any better

BluegrassRedleg
06-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Still makes me mad that Holliday is over there to begin with. He's kind of symbolic of the difference in approach between the two organizations.

BluegrassRedleg
06-05-2011, 11:42 PM
That being said, I don't believe for a second that 5 1/2 games is "too late" for anything. That can swing to 2 1/2 in an heartbeat. I'm discouraged about this team, but not to the point where I think about writing off the season. I just hope the front office shares the same optimism.

will5979
06-06-2011, 08:10 AM
That being said, I don't believe for a second that 5 1/2 games is "too late" for anything. That can swing to 2 1/2 in an heartbeat. I'm discouraged about this team, but not to the point where I think about writing off the season. I just hope the front office shares the same optimism.

Don't kid yourself, they don't. The offseason was evident of that. Lets be honest, what does it take to win in the 21st Century? The answer is big time players that make big time cash, something the Reds ARE TOO DAMN CHEAP to bring into Cincinnati, other teams do it, why can't we? I'll never buy from those rich bastards that "we can't afford it."

tomred
06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
well maybe if the reds drew 3 million people like the cards do the reds would spend more money let us be honest the st louis fans are better then the reds are as far as putting butts in the stands

brm7675
06-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Don't kid yourself, they don't. The offseason was evident of that. Lets be honest, what does it take to win in the 21st Century? The answer is big time players that make big time cash, something the Reds ARE TOO DAMN CHEAP to bring into Cincinnati, other teams do it, why can't we? I'll never buy from those rich bastards that "we can't afford it."

We have them, they are Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Co-Co, Bronson and such. Given the size of our market we have the talent, just give them a chance in some cases to mature.

RedLegsToday
06-07-2011, 10:07 PM
On August 28, 2010, the San Francisco Giants were 6 games behind the Padres with 32 games left. They're season turned out all right.

Way too early still to give up.

Reds
06-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Ace pitcher or no trade PLZ

Roush's socks
06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
LOL at giving up. This season is not even half over. So far the Cardinals have had a lot more go right that the Reds have. Berkman has been better than expected, and Holliday is having a good season. They are getting good production from some role players. The SP has been better than expected. If all that continues they will probably win the division.

On the other hand the Reds have more young talent than the Cardinals and more upside. It is possible that eventually you have Cueto and/or Bailey as dominant starters, with Volquez getting his control together, Leake continuing to surpise everyone and Arroyo doing what he does every year. Throw in Wood as the stopgap and that could still be a great rotation. Cueto has looked great. Bailey is the big ???

To me, as a long time Reds fan, more than 30 years, there is more to a season than winning, or making the playoffs. If Bruce leads the NL in HR or RBI, that would be huge for a guy who is 23 and signed to the Reds long term.
These are the things that also matter.

It is easy to blame Walt or Dusty if the Reds wind up being a 84-86 win team and miss the playoffs. But to me it would be stupid. They have doe a great job of putting together a team with a lot of young talent and that is competitive. If some of the starting pitching winds up being crap that is the way it goes. That is why they play the games. Every team does their best to put together a winning team, but it is the players who win and lose games. Any team would have stuck with Volquez and given him a chance. He was 2nd in the Cy Young two years ago. Hindsight is 20/20 and everyone can be an armchair quarterback. I hope Volquez comes back and has a great 2nd half to shut up all the critics.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
06-07-2011, 10:35 PM
well maybe if the reds drew 3 million people like the cards do the reds would spend more money let us be honest the st louis fans are better then the reds are as far as putting butts in the stands

I think you are forgetting the real damage that the lost decade+ caused the club. The attitude of the fans toward a team that has been sitting in ~20 years of mediocrity takes awhile to reverse. I also think that time of mediocrity has lead to a generation gap of fans. I think people who grew up with the Big Red Machine are more inclined to go to games regularly because they were brought up with such a good team. If you're 25 years old, you've never had any reason to care about the reds, so why blame them for being a little slow coming out to the park.

I think this city is still a baseball town, but it's just dormant at the moment. Give it some time to wake up. Do I think attendance turns around with a playoff birth this season? Maybe, but most likely not. Do I think 3 consecutive playoff years with one run to at least the NLCS will change the attitude of the city? In the words of Sarah Palin, "You Betcha." Stl has had a good team to root for a while now. 11 out of the past 12 seasons have been winning seasons coupled with 7 playoff births and, 2 WS births, and a WS championship. You'd be foolish to think the Reds wouldn't be turning in the same crowds if that had been the track record of the team for the past decade. Basically, it just needs time. Keep winning, the fans will show.

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I think you are forgetting the real damage that the lost decade+ caused the club. The attitude of the fans toward a team that has been sitting in ~20 years of mediocrity takes awhile to reverse. I also think that time of mediocrity has lead to a generation gap of fans. I think people who grew up with the Big Red Machine are more inclined to go to games regularly because they were brought up with such a good team. If you're 25 years old, you've never had any reason to care about the reds, so why blame them for being a little slow coming out to the park.

I think this city is still a baseball town, but it's just dormant at the moment. Give it some time to wake up. Do I think attendance turns around with a playoff birth this season? Maybe, but most likely not. Do I think 3 consecutive playoff years with one run to at least the NLCS will change the attitude of the city? In the words of Sarah Palin, "You Betcha." Stl has had a good team to root for a while now. 11 out of the past 12 seasons have been winning seasons coupled with 7 playoff births and, 2 WS births, and a WS championship. You'd be foolish to think the Reds wouldn't be turning in the same crowds if that had been the track record of the team for the past decade. Basically, it just needs time. Keep winning, the fans will show.

I agree 100%.

Reds
06-07-2011, 10:45 PM

I agree 100%.

99%. Because '99 was exciting.

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 11:05 PM
99%. Because '99 was exciting.

The greatest catch of all-time is still Kevin Mitchell's one-handed grab.

Reds
06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
The greatest catch of all-time is still Kevin Mitchell's one-handed grab.

I was like 7 or something and Mitchell went upper deck at Riverfront, it's still the longest HR I've ever actually seen. Longer than those sent out in batting practice from Griff, Big Mac, or Sosa. Kevin was a great Red.

jhiller21
06-08-2011, 01:26 AM
We have 100 games left to play... that is all

Kingspoint
06-08-2011, 03:09 AM
We have 100 games left to play... that is all

We're on the last shot of hole #7. Win Wednesday and we get a Birdie, following that dreadful Triple-Bogey. That's how Champions respond.

CrosleyField
06-08-2011, 08:24 AM
We're on the last shot of hole #7. Win Wednesday and we get a Birdie, following that dreadful Triple-Bogey. That's how Champions respond.

Great Analogy!