PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Rosa

Benihana
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Please use this thread to compile scouting reports and other info on Reds 2011 2nd Rounder Puerto Rican HS OF Gabriel Rosa.

Benihana
06-07-2011, 04:58 PM
From BA:

84. Reds: Puerto Rico OF Gabriel Rosa. Tall and rangy, he's raw but has intriguing speed and power potential.

Benihana
06-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I wonder how he compares to Yorman Rodriguez?

RedsManRick
06-08-2011, 09:01 AM
The description reminded me of Stubbs. Though I imagine this is not a rare profile.

edabbs44
06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
The full scouting report on BA says that two scouts have compared him to Juan Encarnacion and that, while he has plus speed, he is "no burner".

lollipopcurve
06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
He looks more like a guy who sells out for power. Likely does not have the defense/speed tools that Yorman does. Rosa has played a lot of infield, while Yorman has always been an OF.

Benihana
06-08-2011, 09:46 AM
He looks more like a guy who sells out for power. Likely does not have the defense/speed tools that Yorman does. Rosa has played a lot of infield, while Yorman has always been an OF.

Agree with the selling out for power bit, so I don't think he has nearly the speed or defense of Stubbs, but much more so of Yorman. As I've said since Day 1 (ie yesterday ;)) I think his best comp could be to another OF that was also drafted in the 2nd round out of Puerto Rico, Carlos Beltran.

(I'm thinking more the 30+ HR 20 SB, average defensive New York Met Carlos Beltran rather than the 40+ SB plus-plus defense Kansas City Royal Carlos Beltran.)

It will be interesting to see who starts in CF for Dayton next year, Y-Rod, Rosa, or Kyle Waldrop. Seems like one of the OF (Duran?) will have to be promoted to High A next year to make room. Or maybe Waldrop mashes in Billings this year so much so that he skips Dayton in order to keep the Carribean OF of Y-Rod, Duran, and Rosa together in Dayton?

lollipopcurve
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Agree with the selling out for power bit, so I don't think he has nearly the speed or defense of Stubbs, but much more so of Yorman. As I've said since Day 1 (ie yesterday ) I think his best comp could be to another OF that was also drafted in the 2nd round out of Puerto Rico, Carlos Beltran.

(I'm thinking more the 30+ HR 20 SB, average defensive New York Met Carlos Beltran rather than the 40+ SB plus-plus defense Kansas City Royal Carlos Beltran.)

The kid's got a ton of physical development left to go. His power could eclipse Beltran's, best case. His speed could become average, who knows. Generally speaking, I have to think the experienced scouts' well-trained eyes make the Juan Encarnacion comp a realistic one.

Benihana
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
The kid's got a ton of physical development left to go. His power could eclipse Beltran's, best case. His speed could become average, who knows. Generally speaking, I have to think the experienced scouts' well-trained eyes make the Juan Encarnacion comp a realistic one.

You're saying I'm not an experienced scout with a well-trained eye? :eek:

Kidding, I've never seen the kid play.

Grande Donkey
06-08-2011, 10:34 AM
He reminds me of a Nelson Cruz type player (If he fills out a little more) with plus power potential and can swipe a bag.

Blitz Dorsey
06-11-2011, 11:07 PM
As long as he turns out better than last year's second-round pick Ryan LaMarre (a college player who is struggling in high-A ball a year after getting drafted) I will be happy.

tbball10
06-12-2011, 03:27 PM
reminds me a little of Alex Rios with his build and scouting report.

Superdude
06-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Rosa looks way more filled out than the 185lbs he's listed at on mlb.com. I'm hoping he forgoes the 25 stolen bases a year and strives for hulking power left fielder.

HokieRed
06-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Physically the kid reminds me of A-Rod at the same age.

Nathan
06-13-2011, 03:10 AM
Physically the kid reminds me of A-Rod at the same age.

Ain't nothin' 'roids can't fix.

REDblooded
11-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I've seen a few sites with Rosa ranked in the Reds top 15 prospect lists... Any more recent reports on him?

izzy's dad
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Just watched a video of him taking batting practice. His body type reminds me so much of Alfonso Soriano. Similar tools to Soriano, remember when he was an offensive machine... long, long ago