PDA

View Full Version : Another day, another Brandon Phillips life lesson

Brutus
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Here is your "Cardinals' are whiny *****es" moment for today (thanks to the alert Sun Deckers who saw this over on St. Louis Today)...

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, more or less, has put behind him Cincinnati Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman's criticisms of the Cardinals as "whiners" and the "most hated team in baseball." But what nettles him more, he said, is what he hasn't heard from the Cincinnati organization.

"There are people in that organization, from the top - (Bob) Castellini, Walt (general manager Walt Jocketty), Jerry Walker, to the players who were here - they know how we compete," La Russa said. "If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it. When you lose, you tip your cap.

"The guys who are in the best position (to say anything) are the owner (Castellini) and the general manager. I'm really disappointed they've been so mute - that they didn't say, ‘That's (Brennaman's) opinion. We don't necessarily agree with it.' It really bothers me."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_1776e0a0-2c81-535b-8f30-a12b60e51d29.html

Really, Tony? You need the Reds' brass to come out and tell you what you already know -- that it was Marty's opinion?

RichRed
06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, more or less, has put behind him Cincinnati Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman's criticisms of the Cardinals as "whiners" and the "most hated team in baseball."

I'm really disappointed they've been so mute - that they didn't say, ‘That's (Brennaman's) opinion. We don't necessarily agree with it.' It really bothers me."

You just can't make this stuff up. Well, at least he's put it behind him. Sort of. But not really. At all.

Degenerate39
06-07-2011, 06:28 PM
This came out of no where

Joseph
06-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Tony LaRussa is absolutely right, class organizations quietly enjoy when they win and when they lose they tip their caps and get ready for tomorrow.

When the Cardinals do that, then he can be upset, until then....shut up Tony.

Unassisted
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I suspect Marty would point his venom in their direction if someone in the Reds FO distanced themselves from anything he said on the air. Nobody up there wants to be awarded a new nickname in the tradition of "Ol' Leatherpants." ;)

kbrake
06-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I really can't stand the St. Louis Cardinals.

hebroncougar
06-07-2011, 06:58 PM
McAlister had this on his site today, and I was dumbfounded. What a moron.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey Tony: When Pooholes hit his walkoff the other day against the Cubs and then stood posing like a statue watching it go out, then hopped like a little girl down the third-base line to home plate ... was that "If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it"???

Was that "acting like you've been there before"???

The hypocracy that comes out of St. Louis is nothing short of mind-numbing.

Captain Hook
06-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey Tony: When Pooholes hit his walkoff the other day against the Cubs and then stood posing like a statue watching it go out, then hopped like a little girl down the third-base line to home plate ... was that "If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it"???

Was that "acting like you've been there before"???

The hypocracy that comes out of St. Louis is nothing short of mind-numbing.

Could you imagine the outrage if one of the Reds players did this to end a Reds/Cards game?I suppose that's your point but I'm just trying to imagine the headlines in St. Louis the next day.

hebroncougar
06-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Well, to be fair, Pujols had pretty much stunk up until this past weekend, so maybe he was surprised? ;)

The Operator
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
The whining just never ends. Brandon Phillips looks like the smartest guy on earth every time somebody from that organization opens their mouth.

Captain Hook
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Well, to be fair, Pujols had pretty much stunk up until this past weekend, so maybe he was surprised? ;)

Good for AP.I don't think anyone here cares that he admired a game winning shot.It just seems that it's the kind of thing that TRL is whining about.

Guacarock
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Busch league team.

15fan
06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
"If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it. When you lose, you tip your cap.

It's really too bad that we now have an entire generation (+?) of fans who weren't around / old enough to enjoy the 1990 WS. Eckersley pumping his fist and shouting after a K or a save, the prima donna Bash Brothers, Rickey Henderson running his mouth, etc etc etc.

And the Reds absolutely kicked their butts on the sport's biggest stage. One of the supposedly all-time greatest teams in the history of the game, and they got swept.

I think when the Reds play the Cards, Billy Hatcher should coach whatever base is closest to the Cardinals dugout.

Just so LaRussa has to look at him up close all game long.

WebScorpion
06-08-2011, 12:37 AM
"The guys who are in the best position (to say anything) are the owner (Castellini) and the general manager. I'm really disappointed they've been so mute - that they didn't say, ‘That's (Brennaman's) opinion. We don't necessarily agree with it.' It really bothers me."

Hey Tony, have you ever heard the saying, "Sometimes no answer is an answer."? I'm pretty sure it applies here. :mooner:

Blitz Dorsey
06-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Only LaRussa has the ability to whine while talking about not whining.

And this is one thing that doesn't get brought up nearly enough when talking about LaRussa: No question he is still salty from getting swept in the '90 Series. Believe it! (Jose Lima voice.)

Ron Madden
06-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Tony LaRussa vs Marty Brennamen.

A Titanic Struggle between A-Holes and Egos.

LoganBuck
06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
What would he say, if they came out and said they agree with Marty 100%?

I suspect the Cardinals are going to melt down in an epic fashion this year. This should be fun.

Roy Tucker
06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I have a lot of respect for Tony LaRussa as a manager. Dude knows how to make a ballclub win.

But I'm starting to really not like him at all. We didn't hear this when the Cards were losing. It starts when they are winning. Very poor form.

Tony, remember what they say about paybacks and karma and all that. You are way overdrawn at the karma bank.

REDREAD
06-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Tony LaRussa vs Marty Brennamen.

A Titanic Struggle between A-Holes and Egos.

Which one is which, it's hard to tell :lol:

Maybe this will be unpopular opinion, but LaRussa is a heck of a lot classier than Marty. Marty has been running his mouth and making remarks about LaRussa for about 10 years now.. Sarcastically calling him "Mr Abner Doubleday", etc from the safety of the radio booth. I can honestly understand that LaRussa has had enough. This has not been an isolated incident, Marty has been badmouthing him for years. It's really unprofessional of Marty and a poor reflection on the Reds.

Ron Madden
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Which one is which, it's hard to tell :lol:

Maybe this will be unpopular opinion, but LaRussa is a heck of a lot classier than Marty. Marty has been running his mouth and making remarks about LaRussa for about 10 years now.. Sarcastically calling him "Mr Abner Doubleday", etc from the safety of the radio booth. I can honestly understand that LaRussa has had enough. This has not been an isolated incident, Marty has been badmouthing him for years. It's really unprofessional of Marty and a poor reflection on the Reds.

Both qualify in the two categories IMO. ;)

durl
06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm guessing Chris Carpenter doesn't read the interviews given by his manager.