PDA

View Full Version : One move to make.What do you do?

Captain Hook
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Simple question.If it's up to you who do you go get?Felix Hernandez/TOR starter,Jose Reyes/stud SS or Matt Kemp/stud LF.These seem to be the popular names being thrown around but if there's someone else you like let us know.

reds1869
06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Matt Kemp. As much as we need pitching at the moment, Kemp would raise our offense from extremely good to terrifying.

Oxilon
06-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Going to the playoffs is nice and all, but if you want to win a championship, you're going to need atleast one legitimate hurler that can shutdown a good team on any given night. Felix Hernandez would be a great pickup, but I can only imagine what it'd cost to land him.

06-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Felix would cost too much in talent, although he's clearly the best of the three. Pitchers are by definition riskier acquisitions too.

Reyes would just be a rental and very pricey too.

Kemp is at the beginning of the peak of his career, and wouldn't cost as much as the other two in terms of players. He's also real good.

I voted Kemp.

Captain Hook
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Felix would cost too much in talent, although he's clearly the best of the three. Pitchers are by definition riskier acquisitions too.

Reyes would just be a rental and very pricey too.

Kemp is at the beginning of the peak of his career, and wouldn't cost as much as the other two in terms of players. He's also real good.

I voted Kemp.

I picked Kemp also.He wouldn't be a half season rental and I'm just sick of getting bad defense on most nights and almost no offensive production every night from LF.

Will M
06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I want the Reds to contend for the World Series Championship. IMO to do this they need two TOR starters. Bailey could be one someday if he could stay healthy. Cueto looks to me like a nice MOR arm. Arroyo is what he is. One night won't make me a Volquez believer. Leake & Wood could be #2 starters someday but I'd be happy if they became MOR arms. Chapman isn't going to be a TOR arm anytime soon.

Hence, my vote goes to Felix.

WebScorpion
06-08-2011, 01:50 AM
I voted for Kemp because, I think it's the most likely move. He is what we'd have if we took Gomes' hitting vs. lefties, Lewis' hitting vs. righties, and Heisey's fielding and put them in one body. The Dodgers are in upheaval and they've hired John Allen to help with their fire sale...(we might get him for a handful of failed prospects ;) )
I would really prefer a shutdown TOR starter like King Felix, but I think he (or any REAL TOR guy) will cost more than we can ever afford.

reds44
06-08-2011, 02:05 AM
If the Reds could get King Felix, that's a no brainer.

06-08-2011, 02:26 AM
If the Reds could get King Felix, that's a no brainer.

For free, yeah.

But for what it will likely take to get him, I'd have to use my brain alot. ;)

I'm guessing at least one of the following...

Votto
Bruce
Chapman

The Voice of IH
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
If we could get Beltran and Reyes then I am going that way. But if it is just Reyes I don't want him. Rental, expensive, I would use my chips to get Kemp. But if we could work out a deal with the Mets for those two, then I would make the move.

Dan
06-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I could more easily live with Janish at SS if the Reds acquired a LF than live with what they have in LF if they acquired a SS. That said, I've advocated for Reyes in the past. I think him at the top of the lineup, with Stubbs in the #2 hole would be amazing. Stubbs would see a load of fastballs when Reyes was on base, and that could only help him.

But if I was going for a LF I'd kick the tires on Beltran and Justin Upton along with Kemp. Beltran and Reyes in a package would be interesting, but giving up what? I guess that would depend on how much salary the Reds were willing to pick up.

As for pitching, I still have faith it will come around. The talent is there, but these guys just need to be more consistent. That will happen. But if we have to go for a pitcher, King Felix isn't a bad target. Like someone said above, though, how much in talent is that going to cost? Maybe Ian Kennedy would be a better option.

cumberlandreds
06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
If Hernandez is available you get him. You always get pitching first. But I don't think he is available. The easy 2nd choice and most likely will be available is Kemp. Put him into the middle of an already good lineup and it gets scary good. I would love to see Kemp hit in 82 games at GABP. I think it would be an easy 40-45 home runs for him.

Roy Tucker
06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
As far as this poll goes, King Felix. To go deep into the playoffs, you need those TOR stud starters.

But this poll is also unrealistic. I'd fill LF with someone decent. Votto and now Bruce are getting pitched around because once they are past Bruce, there ain't nuthin'.

oneupper
06-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Love to have Felix. But a guy like Matt Garza, with a reasonable cost, as a half year rental, would be realistic and positive, IMO.

The Voice of IH
06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
As far as this poll goes, King Felix. To go deep into the playoffs, you need those TOR stud starters.

But this poll is also unrealistic. I'd fill LF with someone decent. Votto and now Bruce are getting pitched around because once they are past Bruce, there ain't nuthin'.

Oh we have one of those believe it or not. His name is Mike Leake ;):D #stirthepot

edabbs44
06-08-2011, 09:50 AM

The whole "pitched around" movement is gaining steam and it's a fairly aggressive claim. I think that Votto is definitely being pitched to more carefully due to his status as being a legit top bat. However, Bruce just finished a ridiculous tear and is/was due to level off.

Just because one of "our guys" isn't hitting a HR every night doesn't mean it is because of his protection.

Ghosts of 1990
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I voted TOR starter. But I don't think there's going to be one available more than the caliber of Billingsley or Zambrano, and they're not TOR. It's a catch-22 from that standpoint.

hebroncougar
06-08-2011, 10:18 AM
You probably aren't going to be able to acquire a TOR via trade anytime soon, I can't think of one that might be available? I'd go for Kemp, he'd cost the least in terms of prospects.

REDREAD
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
If we didn't have to worry about contracts, $$, pending FA, etc.. I would've picked Reyes.

Getting Kemp or Either would make this offense really scary, and for beyond this season.

I really don't want to pay the King's ransom for King Felix either. If we could add a player without giving up anything in a trade though, I'd probably pick him. However, I think even if we add a TOR starter, we are still depending on guys like Arroyo and Wood to be more consistent. Although Felix bumping Volquez out of the rotation would go a long way to helping that :lol:

Reds1
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
No brianer for me - ACE pitcher puts this team over the top

Captain Hook
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM

I don't completely disagree but those three names are thrown out there more then any other three names in baseball here in RZ.There is a fourth option for those that have other ideas.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
This team is in a three-year window where it can win something much more significant than a division championship. Acquiring a rental like Jose Reyes does nothing to help in 2012 or 2013. Matt Kemp may be the perfect player to trade for:

- Kemp is a RH batter who hits for power drives in runs (cleanup spot solved; Votto protection solved)
- Kemp is a LF who can actually play defense (LF defense problem solved)
- Kemp is not a rental (2011 solved; 2012 solved)
- Reds fans are very familiar with Kemp after last weekend and it would stoke the fan base, boosting ticket sales and Kemp T-shirt sales (economics not solved, but significantly boosted)

As for King Felix, as dominant as he would be in the NL if the Reds could get him, that's a pipe dream. Seattle is higher in the standings than the Reds and closer to first place. They're not dumping him right now.

edabbs44
06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
This team is in a three-year window where it can win something much more significant than a division championship. Acquiring a rental like Jose Reyes does nothing to help in 2012 or 2013. Matt Kemp may be the perfect player to trade for:

- Kemp is a RH batter who hits for power drives in runs (cleanup spot solved; Votto protection solved)
- Kemp is a LF who can actually play defense (LF defense problem solved)
- Kemp is not a rental (2011 solved; 2012 solved)
- Reds fans are very familiar with Kemp after last weekend and it would stoke the fan base, boosting ticket sales and Kemp T-shirt sales (economics not solved, but significantly boosted)

As for King Felix, as dominant as he would be in the NL if the Reds could get him, that's a pipe dream. Seattle is higher in the standings than the Reds and closer to first place. They're not dumping him right now.

I thought the word on Kemp is that he is a brutal fielder.

RedsManRick
06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I voted Reyes for the following reasons:

1) In a bubble, I'd take Hernandez. But that is a pipe dream. He is not available. We might as well put Pujols on the list and suggest we can just play him in LF.

2) I don't trust Matt Kemp. Yes, he's having an awesome season. But he also had a crappy season as recent as last year with nothign to blame by what's between his ears.

3) Kemp is a poor defensive CF. He's been better in RF, but still not great. He'd be an adequate LF, but think Fred Lewis, not Chris Heisey. In the long run, I only care about total production. But given a choice, I prefer balance. If it nets out the same, I'd rather add run prevention than add more offense.

3) We'd be buying at the absolute peak of his value and while we'd control him for 2 seasons, he's going to be quite expensive, closer to market value. I wouldn't be shocked by a $16M arb award. If he performed well enough to merit that, he'd be worth it from a value perspective. However, that's money I don't believe we have. In other words, keeping Kemp is just as unlikely as keeping Reyes.

4) Reyes represents the biggest upgrade. We have significantly better options in house for LF. We have competent starting pitching. Our best SS option is a 26 year guy in AAA with a .760 career minor league OPS. Bringing in Reyes would also allow Dusty to shift Stubbs down in the order, taking better advantage of his skill set.

5) While Reyes is possibly gone after this year, he'll cost less than the other 2. We'll also (likely) get a draft pick in compensation.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all 3 guys. But I think Reyes is the most logical target.

_Sir_Charles_
06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
TOR starter. But I don't think Felix will be on the market at all. I also don't see the reds making any major moves either. But in fantasy land...sure, TOR starter.

Homer Bailey
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
None of the options are realistic.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM
None of the options are realistic.

Continuing the status quo isn't a realistic way to get to the playoffs this year either. There aren't many more games on the schedule where the Cubs can bail us out.

Something has to be done. Even this eternally standing pat front office has to understand that at this point. If they don't, I fear the upcoming California road trip may make it abundantly clear.

RedsManRick
06-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Continuing the status quo isn't a realistic way to get to the playoffs this year either. There aren't many more games on the schedule where the Cubs can bail us out.

Something has to be done. Even this eternally standing pat front office has to understand that at this point. If they don't, I fear the upcoming California road trip may make it abundantly clear.

It depends on how you define the status quo. One could argue that the status quo is going to change on its own as Bailey and Chapman get healthy and Voqluez (hopefully) gets back to being Carlos Zambrano instead of Oliver Perez.

edabbs44
06-08-2011, 01:54 PM
CINCINNATI — If the Cincinnati Reds are interested in upgrading left field any time soon, or even at the July 31 trade deadline, they might cast a glance westward to San Diego.

It appears the Padres are willing to trade outfielder Ryan Ludwick and would do oit straight up for outfielder Chris Heisey or take some minor-league prospects for him. Ludwick and Reds’ general manager Walt Jocketty already have a history: Jocketty signed him as a free agent for the St. Louis Cardinals in December, 2006.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/pm_21148/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=8PXk5EhY

RedsManRick
06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/pm_21148/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=8PXk5EhY

Sigh. Or you could just play Chris Heisey...

westofyou
06-08-2011, 02:03 PM
One move to make.What do you do?

Sweep the leg.

REDREAD
06-08-2011, 02:49 PM
I really don't see how Ludwick is an upgrade at this point in his career.

buckeyenut
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
The poll says which one of three would you want, not how feasible they are. Given that, I am shocked at the number of people who did not choose King Felix. I know pitching is risky, but this kid is one of top five pitchers in majors. Add him to the rotation and it takes the pressure off everyone else, gives you the guy to go head to head with Halladay or Beckett in the playoffs. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year for some reason, Felix helps you for the next several years too.

GoReds
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Sweep the leg.

That didn't work so well the first time, Johnny.