PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Notre Dame Football Thread

The Voice of IH
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Trolls need not apply

What is going on in Irish country this year? I have to imagine that a BCS bowl could be in the very near future for ND. Brian Kelly is such a good coach it is amazing.

15fan
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I have to imagine that a BCS bowl could be in the very near future for ND.

Of course it could. Don't they only have to win something like 8 games to be BCS eligible? ;)

Puffy
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Hope so.

If the offense can turn it up from last year, and Kelly's second year offenses always seem to, then ND has a chance to be real good.

And 15fan - I know you were joking but ND has never been to a BCS bowl with more than 2 losses. Just so you know, both the ACC and the Big East have sent teams with more losses than 2 to the BCS........

5TimeWSChamps
06-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Of course it could. Don't they only have to win something like 8 games to be BCS eligible? ;)

The real question is...how many people will die under Kelly's watch this year? :)

Puffy
06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
The real question is...how many people will die under Kelly's watch this year? :)

Making a joke of someone dying.

Wow. Only in a thread about ND. And with that I am out of this thread.

WVRed
06-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Trolls need not apply

The Voice of IH
06-10-2011, 12:11 AM

wow.

MWM
06-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Wow, that's REALLY poor form. Not even a little funny.

NJReds
06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Might be the lowest class post I've ever read on this site.

5TimeWSChamps
06-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Are you guys serious. I put a smiley face by it to show I'm kidding. And yes, Brian Kelly is 100% to blame for Declan Sullivan's death.

Kingspoint
06-11-2011, 04:47 AM
I was watching, "Rudy!....Rudy!....Rudy!"..'s nephew playing in the Baseball Super-Regionals Friday Night.

The Voice of IH
06-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I was watching, "Rudy!....Rudy!....Rudy!"..'s nephew playing in the Baseball Super-Regionals Friday Night.

I actually had a friend in high school whose father played for that team. He said the movie is complete fiction and in real life everyone hated him.

Puffy
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I actually had a friend in high school whose father played for that team. He said the movie is complete fiction and in real life everyone hated him.

Yeah, I have heard that he was not popular either.

The Voice of IH
08-27-2011, 12:51 AM
bump, we are just about a week away from kick off!

Boston Red
09-04-2011, 12:57 AM
I have to imagine that a BCS bowl could be in the very near future for ND.

Not so much.

cincrazy
09-06-2011, 02:19 PM
The Irish will be much better by the end of the year than they are now. It's only Kelly's second season, and I think people were expecting a little bit too much out of this current team. It can still win 9-10 games and have a very good season, but I never thought national title or an undefeated run was possible. Let's not kid ourselves, South Florida could very well be a BCS team this year in the BCS. And ND outgained them by twice as many yards, they just made stupid mistakes. I have to believe that will be corrected going forward.

Caveat Emperor
09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
At Cincinnati, against a Big East schedule, Brian Kelly could play to score 40+ points a game and dare you to score 1 more than his offense could.

He clearly hasn't changed that philosophy at ND, and he's going to lose a lot of football games playing that style against the Michigans, MSUs, USCs, and BCs of the world.

rdiersin
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
At Cincinnati, against a Big East schedule, Brian Kelly could play to score 40+ points a game and dare you to score 1 more than his offense could.

He clearly hasn't changed that philosophy at ND, and he's going to lose a lot of football games playing that style against the Michigans, MSUs, USCs, and BCs of the world.

Maybe, but I have to think that they would be 2-0 if they would have not turned the ball over in the red zone the past two weeks. Against South Florida, it may have been obvious because it lead to a touchdown, but they have done that at least 4 times in the past two games. That's not the defense's fault. That's just playing sloppy.

Hillsdale87
09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Yea, I don't think the last 2 losses have really had much to do with coaching philosophy. It's been mostly sloppy play, which is strange because his UC teams were great at avoiding turnovers.

MWM
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM

The only way he can't play that philosophy is to have a good defense. It's not a matter of changing a philosophy. It will take some time for him to build a defense (if he can do it at all). Weis left him at least some talent on offense. He was left very little on defense from what I understand.

paintmered
09-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Defensive stigma of UC aside, Kelly won more games in 2008 with his defense and special teams than with his offense. The 2008 game against Rutgers would have made Tressel blush by the way he let Kevin Huber win the game for them. Yes, the punter.

Bottom line, he tailors his game plans to the strengths of his personnel, like any good coach. The 2009 UC team didn't have the talent to replace the outgoing 2008 defense (that had four players drafted), so he had to outscore teams the following season (leading to the stigma that UC now has, in many thanks to his lack of recruiting defensive players). That UC team, by the way, had one of the more impressive road wins in college football with a double-digit win in Corvallis. In other words, it worked against teams beyond the Big East.

The big difference between Kelly winning then and losing now is all in the execution. Why his UC teams executed and his Notre Dame teams aren't is anyone's guess. However, I'd guess that if he feels the need to outscore opponents, then he doesn't trust his defensive personnel. He'd play field position and time possession much more if he did, as hard as that is to believe.

Boston Red
09-13-2011, 02:11 AM

The first loss was to USF. They're in the Big East, you know.

And BC is horrible this year (lost 30-3 to UCF and lost to Northwestern), and is generally very average.

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
The first loss was to USF. They're in the Big East, you know.

And BC is horrible this year (lost 30-3 to UCF and lost to Northwestern), and is generally very average.

The second loss was to Michigan. They're not in the Big East.

Boston Red
09-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Yup, this ND team just hasn't been very good. Nothing to do with Big East vs. non-Big East. They're obviously capable of losing to Big East and non-Big East teams alike.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 12:44 AM
it's safe to say they're back. finally. very happy for the Irish. Brian Kelly looks to be the best hire the Irish have had since Holtz.

Revering4Blue
10-28-2012, 01:08 AM
I witnessed the Miami/ND blowout in person. When you combine an offense that rarely makes mistakes with a defense that has shut down powerful offense after powerful offense, you are capable of beating anyone. Yes, Alabama, that means you.

I don't see a loss on their remaining schedule, even against Boy Wonder Barkley and the weak defense at USC.

Boston Red
10-28-2012, 01:16 AM
They're going to need some help to get a shot at Alabama. It's not likely that ND can pass K-State or Oregon without those two losing.

Revering4Blue
10-28-2012, 01:40 AM
They're going to need some help to get a shot at Alabama. It's not likely that ND can pass K-State or Oregon without those two losing.

Absolutely true. It's going to be interesting to see just how many teams from major BCS conferences wind up undefeated and Bowl eligible.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 01:44 AM
I witnessed the Miami/ND blowout in person. When you combine an offense that rarely makes mistakes with a defense that has shut down powerful offense after powerful offense, you are capable of beating anyone. Yes, Alabama, that means you.

I don't see a loss on their remaining schedule, even against Boy Wonder Barkley and the weak defense at USC.

I don't think USC in LA is a cakewalk. I think they can win, but not easily.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 01:45 AM

I think if Notre Dame wins out, they'll play in the title game. Oregon's schedule is rather uninspiring and even though K-State is awesome, the BCS bias will put ND in the game, fair or not.

Brutus
10-28-2012, 01:54 AM
it's safe to say they're back. finally. very happy for the Irish. Brian Kelly looks to be the best hire the Irish have had since Holtz.

Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham and Charlie Weis... that's damning with feint praise.

This year's Notre Dame team appears to be really good. But I would ask them to do it for 2-3 years in a row before making the proclamation "they're back." Being an elite program is about sustaining it over several years.

Brutus
10-28-2012, 01:55 AM
I think if Notre Dame wins out, they'll play in the title game. Oregon's schedule is rather uninspiring and even though K-State is awesome, the BCS bias will put ND in the game, fair or not.

They *might* pass Oregon, but little or no chance of passing Kansas State if K-State wins out. Kansas State has a very sizeable lead on Notre Dame in the BCS. Oregon's is fairly large as well, but not insurmountable. What hurts Notre Dame is that Oregon also plays USC, so their best opportunity for big wins would cancel each other out.

While Notre Dame gets kicked in the rear by the computers the next three weeks playing Pitt, BC and Wake, Kansas State and Oregon will be helped if they beat: Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor and USC, Stanford and Cal respectively. Then the final week, while Notre Dame has USC, Kansas State and Oregon still have Texas and Oregon State. The math says Notre Dame needs help to have any chance. They're not going to face Alabama unless the teams ahead of them lose.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham and Charlie Weis... that's damning with feint praise.

This year's Notre Dame team appears to be really good. But I would ask them to do it for 2-3 years in a row before making the proclamation "they're back." Being an elite program is about sustaining it over several years.

When you consider that Holtz left in 1996, that was quite a long time ago.

I have no problem making the proclamation that "they're back." It's vague and merely means they're in the hunt, which they are. This is the best team the school has had in at least 10 years. Future recruiting classes will improve moving forward.

Brutus
10-28-2012, 02:29 AM
When you consider that Holtz left in 1996, that was quite a long time ago.

I have no problem making the proclamation that "they're back." It's vague and merely means they're in the hunt, which they are. This is the best team the school has had in at least 10 years. Future recruiting classes will improve moving forward.

I agree with you on this year's team. The defense is dominant, especially the front seven.

My point about the coaches though was that regardless of how long ago Holtz was there, Kelly is being compared against only three others (well, four if you count O'Leary).

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 02:35 AM
They *might* pass Oregon, but little or no chance of passing Kansas State if K-State wins out. Kansas State has a very sizeable lead on Notre Dame in the BCS. Oregon's is fairly large as well, but not insurmountable. What hurts Notre Dame is that Oregon also plays USC, so their best opportunity for big wins would cancel each other out.

While Notre Dame gets kicked in the rear by the computers the next three weeks playing Pitt, BC and Wake, Kansas State and Oregon will be helped if they beat: Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor and USC, Stanford and Cal respectively. Then the final week, while Notre Dame has USC, Kansas State and Oregon still have Texas and Oregon State. The math says Notre Dame needs help to have any chance. They're not going to face Alabama unless the teams ahead of them lose.

I feel more than confident that ND will pass Oregon if they go undefeated. I also feel strongly that ND will play in the title game if they win out, even. It's a big if though, as they have to take care of business the rest of the way.

Brutus
10-28-2012, 02:54 AM
I feel more than confident that ND will pass Oregon if they go undefeated. I also feel strongly that ND will play in the title game if they win out, even. It's a big if though, as they have to take care of business the rest of the way.

That's just not practical.

Again, the next three games: Pitt, BC and Wake. Meanwhile, Oregon will be facing USC, Stanford and Cal.

If you were to rank those six teams in the BCS right now, here's how they rank:

6. Boston College (108)
5. Pittsburgh (90)
4. Wake Forest (65)
3. California (64)
2. Stanford (17)
1. USC (9)

And for good measure, Kansas State is facing Oklahoma State (32), TCU (28) and Baylor (52). So if you ranked the nine opponents of those three teams, Notre Dame is literally facing the three worst in the BCS.

I don't think you realize how absolutely brutal that will be against Notre Dame's computer rankings the next three weeks.

Notre Dame isn't passing Oregon or especially Kansas State unless those teams lose. It's just not practical given the upcoming schedule.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 04:02 AM
That's just not practical.

Again, the next three games: Pitt, BC and Wake. Meanwhile, Oregon will be facing USC, Stanford and Cal.

If you were to rank those six teams in the BCS right now, here's how they rank:

6. Boston College (108)
5. Pittsburgh (90)
4. Wake Forest (65)
3. California (64)
2. Stanford (17)
1. USC (9)

And for good measure, Kansas State is facing Oklahoma State (32), TCU (28) and Baylor (52). So if you ranked the nine opponents of those three teams, Notre Dame is literally facing the three worst in the BCS.

I don't think you realize how absolutely brutal that will be against Notre Dame's computer rankings the next three weeks.

Notre Dame isn't passing Oregon or especially Kansas State unless those teams lose. It's just not practical given the upcoming schedule.

I'm not one to make emphatic predictions typically, but I firmly believe Notre Dame will pass Oregon if they win out. It may even happen in a matter of hours. Obviously it's moot if Oregon loses, which is possible. I also believe Notre Dame will pass Kansas State if Notre Dame will win out as well.

Brutus
10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm not one to make emphatic predictions typically, but I firmly believe Notre Dame will pass Oregon if they win out. It may even happen in a matter of hours. Obviously it's moot if Oregon loses, which is possible. I also believe Notre Dame will pass Kansas State if Notre Dame will win out as well.

Based on what? I don't understand what dynamic you think would cause the BCS algorithm to bump Notre Dame ahead of Oregon over the course of the next month as you seem to be ignoring that Notre Dame's strength of schedule will directly hurt their BCS rankings and they're already behind Oregon to begin with. It's like someone saying there is nothing but a high pressure system over a specified area, but another person saying "yeah but I fully expect it to rain."

Expecting Notre Dame to pass Oregon when all is said and done defies the algorithm. They are projected to narrowly pass Oregon in today's standings by both Jerry Palm and Brad Edwards, but the computers will take a pounding the next three weeks so when it's all said and done, they won't end up staying there absent an Oregon loss.

bucksfan2
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I was watching last nights game trying to figure out who ND looked like from years past. I thought maybe the 2002 OSU team because they really didn't dominate in one fashion or another and played a lot of close games. Then I thought back at the amount of overall talent on that OSU team and that dwarfs what ND currently has. Aside from their front 7 which is very good, the rest of the team is meh to me.

At the beginning of the year their schedule looked tough. But as the games began to play out, not so much. Michigan and MSU have been utter disappointments this season. Miami is a .500 football same as BYU. The Stanford win will go down as a good win although Stanford scored in OT, nice job refs! The OU win is another good win, although Te'o didn't pick the pass off, nice job ref! I wouldn't be surprised if ND loses one of the next three games and do think they lose to USC to end the season. They have done a good job of winning ugly this season but I don't know if they can continue to do so.

In watching this ND team I just don't think they are as good as the other top ranked teams and even one loss teams. I think if they do win out they will get a lot of cheer from the public but Oregon and KSU are in a class above ND right now. I also think a one loss LSU or UF are better teams than ND right now. The question is can their defense continue to dominate and can their offense continue to piece together enough points to win a football game?

Revering4Blue
10-28-2012, 02:12 PM
At the beginning of the year their schedule looked tough. But as the games began to play out, not so much. Michigan and MSU have been utter disappointments this season. Miami is a .500 football same as BYU.

But the fact of the matter is the Irish still beat four ranked teams. Judging by the "eye test", I believe that, as of right now, Alabama is the top team right now, but not head-and-shoulders above everyone else at all.

That stated, the Tide's signature wins were against that same Michigan team on a neutral field and against Mississippi State at home. Other than SEC honks, who believes that Miss. State is all that?

Brutus
10-28-2012, 02:47 PM
But the fact of the matter is the Irish still beat four ranked teams. Judging by the "eye test", I believe that, as of right now, Alabama is the top team right now, but not head-and-shoulders above everyone else at all.

That stated, the Tide's signature wins were against that same Michigan team on a neutral field and against Mississippi State at home. Other than SEC honks, who believes that Miss. State is all that?

Here are Mississippi State's wins thus far:

Jackson State
Troy
South Alabama
Middle Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
Tennessee

Yuck.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Based on what? I don't understand what dynamic you think would cause the BCS algorithm to bump Notre Dame ahead of Oregon over the course of the next month as you seem to be ignoring that Notre Dame's strength of schedule will directly hurt their BCS rankings and they're already behind Oregon to begin with. It's like someone saying there is nothing but a high pressure system over a specified area, but another person saying "yeah but I fully expect it to rain."

Expecting Notre Dame to pass Oregon when all is said and done defies the algorithm. They are projected to narrowly pass Oregon in today's standings by both Jerry Palm and Brad Edwards, but the computers will take a pounding the next three weeks so when it's all said and done, they won't end up staying there absent an Oregon loss.

See for yourself...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

Brutus
10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
See for yourself...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

That completely and utterly is avoiding the question. I said "when it's all said and done." You still haven't given any technical reasons why you think they'll stay ahead of Oregon, much less catch up with Kansas State.

As I said two posts earlier, Notre Dame had a shot of narrowly passing Oregon this week (emphasis on narrowly as they are barely ahead), but the issue is that Notre Dame's BCS score will go down each of the next three weeks. They won't be ahead of Oregon in three weeks from now.

Yes, they're ahead this week. They won't be in a week or two from now if Oregon keeps winning. I truly don't think you appreciate how the computers are going to influence the scores. Do you realize if Notre Dame's computer rankings drop an average of even one spot over the next three weeks (it will likely be an average of 2-3 spots), they would drop below Oregon? Their average would go from .9147 to .9014. Oregon is currently at .9136 and faces USC and Stanford the next two weeks. Again, dropping some is a mathematical certainty after facing Pitt, BC and Wake. Notre Dame does not have a chance unless they get help.

kaldaniels
10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Notre Dame being in the NC game would be good for business. Don't under estimate that.

fearofpopvol1
10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
That completely and utterly is avoiding the question. I said "when it's all said and done." You still haven't given any technical reasons why you think they'll stay ahead of Oregon, much less catch up with Kansas State.

As I said two posts earlier, Notre Dame had a shot of narrowly passing Oregon this week (emphasis on narrowly as they are barely ahead), but the issue is that Notre Dame's BCS score will go down each of the next three weeks. They won't be ahead of Oregon in three weeks from now.

Yes, they're ahead this week. They won't be in a week or two from now if Oregon keeps winning. I truly don't think you appreciate how the computers are going to influence the scores. Do you realize if Notre Dame's computer rankings drop an average of even one spot over the next three weeks (it will likely be an average of 2-3 spots), they would drop below Oregon? Their average would go from .9147 to .9014. Oregon is currently at .9136 and faces USC and Stanford the next two weeks. Again, dropping some is a mathematical certainty after facing Pitt, BC and Wake. Notre Dame does not have a chance unless they get help.

It certainly will depend on how close the scores are of each game. Notre Dame has a very good shot of playing in the national title game if they win out.

Slyder
10-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Notre Dame being in the NC game would be good for business. Don't under estimate that.

Last time Notre Dame was in a BcS game the result was the media creation of a national nightmare for this Raider fan. Them making the national championship while good ratings to start I'm sure will end up in a farce that will keep the most diehard Domers and haters out there. I like last years national title joke of a game will not watch.

As a WVU fan I hope KSU gets a chance to avenge the crap of last year (2 ACC teams I mean seriously they are BY FAR the WORST conference in BcS) but as a fan I want to see Oregon vs Alabama. The most prolific offense vs the most prolific defense in what should have been the storyline last year (LSU vs OK St). All this IMO.

Brutus
10-29-2012, 08:41 PM

No one that has any say in the algorithm has any vested interest in this "business" you speak of. Voters don't care about it being good for "business" nor do the computers that have algorithms that rank teams. TV networks and universities certainly have a business interest, but they don't have any say in the algorithm. This business isn't going to get them more votes nor is it going to artificially inflate their strength of schedule when playing Pittsburgh, Boston College or Wake Forest. The whole "Notre Dame draws ratings" card is a fictional narrative as far as the BCS formula is concerned.

Brutus
10-29-2012, 08:44 PM
It certainly will depend on how close the scores are of each game. Notre Dame has a very good shot of playing in the national title game if they win out.

I'll ask you for the fourth time, what technical reason do you have for thinking that? I am getting the impression, no offense, that you don't understand how the system is structured. I keep asking why you think Notre Dame's score would be higher than Oregon's and you haven't answered that question.

The scores have nothing to do with it, by the way. Margin of victory is not a component in this system and voters are certainly not going to reward Notre Dame because they blew out three of the worst teams in college football. If they wanted to bump Notre Dame, they would have done it this week after beating Oklahoma.

fearofpopvol1
10-29-2012, 11:11 PM
I'll ask you for the fourth time, what technical reason do you have for thinking that? I am getting the impression, no offense, that you don't understand how the system is structured. I keep asking why you think Notre Dame's score would be higher than Oregon's and you haven't answered that question.

The scores have nothing to do with it, by the way. Margin of victory is not a component in this system and voters are certainly not going to reward Notre Dame because they blew out three of the worst teams in college football. If they wanted to bump Notre Dame, they would have done it this week after beating Oklahoma.

The scores very well may matter. If Notre Dame has good showings, that may be the difference. Maybe it won't be. You obviously disagree. It's my prediction and I'm sticking to it. We'll see if I'm right soon enough.

kaldaniels
10-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Notre Dame being good for business will not affect the computers, I agree. But for those who feed at the trough of college football for a living, Notre Dame in the title game is quite appetizing. If there are 3 undefeated teams at seasons end, I'd bet the propaganda machine would be out in full to get voters to rank the Irish second.

I'm not complaining about that, it is just what I anticipate happening.

kaldaniels
11-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Well that discussion is all moot now.

KSU totally exposed.

Boston Red
11-18-2012, 12:11 AM
I hate Pitt's kicker.

kaldaniels
11-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Oregon - Stanford headed to OT due to Chip Kelly refusing to kick a chip shot FG on 4th down.

Live by the sword.....

kaldaniels
11-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Oregon - Stanford headed to OT due to Chip Kelly refusing to kick a chip shot FG on 4th down.

Live by the sword.....

Die by the sword.

Congrats on the #1 ranking Irish.

Revering4Blue
11-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Down goes Oregon.

At this rate, we're looking at an ND/Alabama NC game.

ZZZZZZZ.

kaldaniels
11-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Down goes Oregon.

At this rate, we're looking at an ND/Alabama NC game.

ZZZZZZZ.

Not gonna be easy next week in LA.

Revering4Blue
11-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Not gonna be easy next week in LA.

True, even though USC is due for a signature win, I'll believe a USC win over Notre Dame if and when I see it. The USC defense is a mess.

Boston Red
11-18-2012, 12:52 AM
USC's best win of the year so far is over Syracuse. I doubt that changes next week.

kaldaniels
11-18-2012, 01:22 AM
USC's best win of the year so far is over Syracuse. I doubt that changes next week.

Your first sentence is true, but that is not how one projects things going forward.

USC has lost to Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon...all top 20 teams...by an average of of 9.3 points. That suggests they will at least keep it close.

Notre Dame has won 5 games by a touchdown or less. The only other team out there who has done the same is OSU as far as I can see. Both teams have been fortunate. See Purdue and Pitt.

My only contention is that it will not be an easy game for ND.

Boston Red
11-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Your first sentence is true, but that is not how one projects things going forward.

It's certainly a factor in predicting the future that every decent team USC has played has beaten them. Close or not.

LoganBuck
11-18-2012, 08:08 AM
I hate Pitt's kicker.

Quoted to show total agreement.

Revering4Blue
11-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Per Rotoworld.

USC senior QB Matt Barkley will not start Saturday's game against Notre Dame due to an AC sprain in his shoulder.

Redshirt Freshman Max Wittek will start in his place. Head coach Lane Kiffin did not elaborate on if Barkley is available as a reserve, but we doubt it. The senior has struggled a bit in recent weeks, causing Trojans fans to lose patience, but they may not like the results with Wittek at the helm.

NJReds
11-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Per Rotoworld.

Barkley might have cost himself a lot of money by not going to the NFL last year.