PDA

View Full Version : Cueto: SF bullpen mound issues

GoReds
06-10-2011, 07:39 AM
This from Cueto last night:

“I had two different pitcher’s mounds,” Cueto said, through a translator. “In the bullpen the mound is kind of flat. In the game, it’s like a regular mound. It was tough in the first inning to make an adjustment with my landing.”

So, yeah, the mounds were different, but Cueto was able to work it out. He observed that the mounds were different, but didn't actually complain about it.

Get that Tony?

lollipopcurve
06-10-2011, 08:23 AM
If this is typical home field advantage manuevering, MLB should have umpires do routine checks. Not that hard to police, I would think. Teams shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff, though I'm not surprised in the least that they do.

traderumor
06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
My guess is that not a whole lot of attention is given to bullpen mound specs. Maybe MLB should supervise their league. Quite a concept, I know. Maybe they can't afford to hire a person to do that.

dougdirt
06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
This from Cueto last night:

“I had two different pitcher’s mounds,” Cueto said, through a translator. “In the bullpen the mound is kind of flat. In the game, it’s like a regular mound. It was tough in the first inning to make an adjustment with my landing.”

So, yeah, the mounds were different, but Cueto was able to work it out. He observed that the mounds were different, but didn't actually complain about it.

Get that Tony?

I don't think this is any different than what TLR was saying. This is complaining about it. Not talking about it at all would be not complaining about it.

oneupper
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
What question was asked?

cumberlandreds
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
My guess is that not a whole lot of attention is given to bullpen mound specs. Maybe MLB should supervise their league. Quite a concept, I know. Maybe they can't afford to hire a person to do that.

They wouldn't have to hire anyone. Let the umpires do it. When a new umpiring crew comes into the city they can take out a tape measure and see if it is the same as the mound on the playing field. This shouldn't take anymore than five minutes. But its too easy for MLB. The way they move at glacial speeds to change things this will never happen.

Hoosier Red
06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I don't think this is any different than what TLR was saying. This is complaining about it. Not talking about it at all would be not complaining about it.

I agree. If we take off the Reds colored glasses, this is something that should be handled in house. Cueto would have been better off saying that the mound felt different in the bullpen.

When you say definitively there's a difference, you make yourself out to be an horses backside when someone goes out and measures them and finds they are the same height.

This is something Cueto should have said something to Dusty and/or Price, they should have had an umpire look at it today, and if they are different heights, the Giants should see a big big penalty.

westofyou
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Yep, and be sure we can count on a thread somewhere saying the Reds are whining.

And I say who gives a rats behind if there is?

westofyou
06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
They wouldn't have to hire anyone. Let the umpires do it. When a new umpiring crew comes into the city they can take out a tape measure and see if it is the same as the mound on the playing field. This shouldn't take anymore than five minutes. But its too easy for MLB. The way they move at glacial speeds to change things this will never happen.

Actually a league official shows up to check these things IIRC.

cumberlandreds
06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Actually a league official shows up to check these things IIRC.

Its on them then. Cueto should have told Dusty or Price and let them take it the umpires or whoever to get it fixed. Not that much of issue anyway. It all turned out good in the end. I took Cueto's comments as a statement of fact and not really complaining.

VR
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Well......maybe it wasn't quite as whiny as the Cards approach.

Rockies head groundskeeper Mark Razum told The Denver Post that the bullpen and game mound were measured before Saturday's game and everything checked out fine.

But before Saturday's game, Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan and La Russa got into an animated argument about it.

Carpenter, a contender for the Cy Young Award, was blunt with his criticism Friday.

"The mound in the bullpen was way flatter. I don't know if they do it on purpose, but no question, it was different," Carpenter said.

Read more: La Russa angry over bullpen mound's height - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_13429495#ixzz1OspvTf5l
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

RedsManRick
06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Only difference is that Cueto figured it out and was quite successful in spite of it.

Brutus
06-10-2011, 10:57 AM

I don't think it's quite the same. Cueto was, presumably, asked a direct question why he struggled in the first inning. He gave an answer that would explain his early struggles.

LaRussa was just pontificating as he usually does.

RBA
06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
The Reds should contract with a company that can provide them digital tools to instantaneously measure the mounds and compare them. The technology is there, it just has to be modified to do it. The Reds could issued their protest instantly with documentation.

Roy Tucker
06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
The Reds should contract with a company that can provide them digital tools to instantaneously measure the mounds and compare them. The technology is there, it just has to be modified to do it. The Reds could issued their protest instantly with documentation.

Maybe we could tie it into Google Earth or CIA spy satellites and have a www.fieldmetrics.mlb.com.

Or use a tape measure and level.

:)

06-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Only difference is that Cueto figured it out and was quite successful in spite of it.

Exactly. If Cueto has lost and blamed the mound, then it would be the same. It shows how whiney Carpenter's, Duncan's and TRL's complaint was. Cueto showed that this is something that a professional pitcher deals with and overcomes.

RBA
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Maybe we could tie it into Google Earth or CIA spy satellites and have a www.fieldmetrics.mlb.com (http://www.fieldmetrics.mlb.com).

Or use a tape measure and level.

:)

Old school? It just might work.

dabvu2498
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Actually there's a template for building mounds to specs that's out there. It's rather big and bulky though. Might be tough to get on a plane for road trips.

CTA513
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Sounds like Cueto wants to play for the Cardinals.

jojo
06-10-2011, 01:36 PM
What a brat....when I was his age I had to pitch off the mound up hill both ways bare foot and in a snow storm...

remdog
06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Nothing wrong with the bullpen mound matching the playing field mound. (famous shrug) Now, MLB just has to enforce it.

TA DA! Everyone is happy, no more crying in baseball...(unless you're the Cardinals ;) ).

Rem