PDA

View Full Version : Latest Brandon Phillips Is Awesome Story...

Edskin
06-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Interviewed two young fans on the broadcast tonight.... One of them answered a trivia question BP posted on twitter. Their prize?

A fully paid for trip to SF this weekend. Not only did he pay for their hotel, flight, and game tickets, but he took them to Fishermans Wharf today and bought them lunch. That is beyond awesome... Obviously the two guys were gushing about how cool BP is and how kindly he treats everyone that approaches him.

Some cynics may question his motivation, but I say who cares? He has given those guys a lifetime memory... Hats off once again to BP.

Blitz Dorsey
06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I never seen anything like it. Brandon definitely likes attention, but he also likes spreading the love. He's just a good-hearted guy. (And a hell of a player.)

VR
06-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Maybe politicians should try trivia questions on twitter......

Brandon gets it.....beyond impressive.

cinreds21
06-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Maybe politicians should try trivia questions on twitter......

Brandon gets it.....beyond impressive.

No, they are busy providing their followers with other "perks" :)

RedFanAlways1966
06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Makes me ask...

* Will Tony LaRussa whine about this? BP is making those kids miss work or time at their local pool. Those kids should be spending quality time with their families and not be hanging in SF. At least while they are in SF can someone have those kids work on the pitcher's mound for Chris Carpenter?

* Will Yadier Molina follow suit? Have a trivia contest on Twitter. Winner gets two free neck tattoos.

* How will Carpenter explain this to his son?

lollipopcurve
06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe those who have objected to BP's style can start to appreciate the guy a little, as more stories like these emerge. Loves to play (how many injuries has he played through in the last few years?), loves to be a Red, loves the fans. Performs at an all-star level. For anybody who loves the game, you have to respect what this guy is bringing to it.

Blitz Dorsey
06-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Will Yadier Molina follow suit? Have a trivia contest on Twitter. Winner gets two free neck tattoos.

LMAO!

CTA513
06-11-2011, 01:45 PM
#85 of the Bengals has been doing stuff like this for a while.

camisadelgolf
06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
This is great and all, but I really wish people would stop acting like Brandon Phillips is some kind of amazing hero. Yes, it's great that he treats his fans so well, but the guy is making $12M this year, and not even .1% of that is going to his kids. Allegedly, he has spent less than a week of his life seeing his five-year-old in Philadelphia. He sure knows how to take advantage of the media, but it's terrible what kind of father he seems to be. Granted, there are a lot of details we'll likely never know, but my experience is that when it comes to these things, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Homer Bailey
06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
This is great and all, but I really wish people would stop acting like Brandon Phillips is some kind of amazing hero. Yes, it's great that he treats his fans so well, but the guy is making $12M this year, and not even .1% of that is going to his kids. Allegedly, he has spent less than a week of his life seeing his five-year-old in Philadelphia. He sure knows how to take advantage of the media, but it's terrible what kind of father he seems to be. Granted, there are a lot of details we'll likely never know, but my experience is that when it comes to these things, where there's smoke, there's fire.

If you're going to do that, I would advise not coming hard like that, then using words like "allegedly".

Superdude
06-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Phillips obviously doesn't seem to be the world's greatest father, and that certainly throws some cold water on all these heartwarming stories, but I would almost side with Phillips on the child support issue. The mother "allegedly" complained that Phillips was only paying $60,000 a year in child support. Regardless of what he makes, Phillips doesn't have to empty his bank account on a five year old. I'm pretty sure I could comfortably raise a child with 60 grand.

camisadelgolf
06-11-2011, 03:40 PM
I don't have a problem with the lack of money being spent on his kids so much as the lack of time being spent with his kids. Instead of flying twitter followers into town, maybe he should be flying his children in. Just a thought.

kbrake
06-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't think anyone here has enough information to talk about how Brandon Phillips is with his children. It was one tiny news story that came out and didn't present any part of Brandon Phillips side of the story. Not saying he's a great dad but I'm not sure we have the information to have an intelligent discussion about it.

Edskin
06-11-2011, 09:50 PM
All we can do is go on what we know... I dot suggest that anyone pattern their entire life after BP and I don't consider him a hero... Just think that these things he does for the fans are very cool and very unique

The Operator
06-12-2011, 02:15 AM
This is great and all, but I really wish people would stop acting like Brandon Phillips is some kind of amazing hero. Yes, it's great that he treats his fans so well, but the guy is making $12M this year, and not even .1% of that is going to his kids.If what Superdude posted above is true, and he's paying 60K in child support - the mother of his kid can live pretty comfortably while taking good care of the child and not even have to hold a job herself. There's lots of people in this country who don't have a total household income of 60K/yr, let alone receive that much money in child support. I have no idea about child support laws and whether there's a "top-out" level of payment having to be made regardless of income. If he's deficient at 60K, I'm sure the mother could take him to court and win easily since it would be a high profile case.

But either way, I think what he does is great for the game, regardless of his motivations - and he seems pretty genuine to me. I don't think he'd be spending too much 1-on-1 time with the people he treats to all this stuff if he was just doing it to get publicity.

reds44
06-12-2011, 02:36 AM

Haha what an awesome post.

06-12-2011, 02:47 AM

There isn't a hero in the history of the world that didn't have faults and didn't make mistakes. In fact, most people who are strong public figures usually have messed up personal lives. It's very common to find great philanthrophers who are terrible husbands/fathers.

And until I hear then whole story from all involved, it's a complete non-story.

Edskin
06-12-2011, 10:29 AM
There is a big difference between saying "I think Brandon Phillips is great for the game and a genuinely nice guy who cares about his fans" and saying "I think Brandon Phillips is one of the best humans on the planet and we should all strive to be like him."

cincrazy
06-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't have a problem with the lack of money being spent on his kids so much as the lack of time being spent with his kids. Instead of flying twitter followers into town, maybe he should be flying his children in. Just a thought.

I don't think any of us know the circumstances revolving around his relationship with his children and/or their mother, and it's grossly unfair to assume anything in that regard. His private life is just that, private.

reds44
06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
There is a big difference between saying "I think Brandon Phillips is great for the game and a genuinely nice guy who cares about his fans" and saying "I think Brandon Phillips is one of the best humans on the planet and we should all strive to be like him."

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/26/tim-tebow/tim-tebow_p1.jpg

smith288
06-12-2011, 06:52 PM
What's with the tebow pic?

reds44
06-12-2011, 06:54 PM
One of the best human beings on the planet and we should all strive to be like him.

fearofpopvol1
06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
It's amazing to me how judgmental some can be without knowing all of the facts.