PDA

View Full Version : MLB discussing moving NL team to AL

improbus
06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

I do think that with interleague play, this is a very possible option. The team discussed in the article is the Astros, which seems logical. But, the more radical overall concept is the elimination of the divisions. This seems like a great idea (especially for the Blue Jays, Rays, and Orioles). The most important thing in this system is that the #1 overall seed needs a huge reward, like getting 4 home games in the best of 5 series, or something along those lines.

Chris Sabowned
06-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I think its about time they even out the leagues. And its time to make interleague play a season long event. The NBA and the NFL do it without any problems.

RedsFan_26
06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I say keep everything the same but either DH for both NL And AL or pitchers have to hit in AL

BluegrassRedleg
06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I think its about time they even out the leagues. And its time to make interleague play a season long event. The NBA and the NFL do it without any problems.

Agree 100% No reason why that can't be accomplished with a 162-game schedule.

40YrRedsFan
06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Give up interleague play and go back to a balanced schedule where all teams play each other an equal amount of times

BluegrassRedleg
06-11-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure why they'd pick Houston, though. Seems like they'd want to keep one NL and one AL team in Texas. Colorado maybe? Or move Milwaukee back.

BluegrassRedleg
06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Give up interleague play and go back to a balanced schedule where all teams play each other an equal amount of times

I like getting to see some of the great AL stars play against Cincinnati. It's crazy that MLB went so long with fans not being able to see some of the greats from the opposite league up close.

signalhome
06-11-2011, 06:24 PM
To have interleague play be an even bigger part of the schedule (necessary with this change), I think it's high-time that either the AL hits with the pitcher or the NL features the DH. I don't really care either way, but regardless of which one they use, it needs to be the same for both leagues.

Who Dey Time
06-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Interleague play isn't going anywhere. Right or wrong, attendance does tend to increase during interleague play and a lot of me thinks that this is one of the reasons that they are discussing this type of realignment/scheduling.

ruREaDy2
06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
I hope this happens. I brought up the issue on this board a couple months ago and the main reason against it seemed to be how to balance the schedule w/o including so many interleague games.

I am totally for it. It's a shame that we don't get to see all the other 29 MLB teams each year in my opinion. A schedule featuring more interleage matchups would definitely help attendance....which in today's world means more $$$$ and perhaps better ratings to help compete with the NFL & NBA.

Why not keep the three divisions in each league as they are (East, Central, West) and pluck the Astros from our division and stick them in the AL West??? I've always thought it to be a little unfair that we have to contend with five other teams for the division title while the Angels, A's, Mariners and Rangers have only three teams vying for theirs. :dunno:

malcontent
06-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Why not keep the three divisions in each league as they are (East, Central, West) and pluck the Astros from our division and stick them in the AL West??? I've always thought it to be a little unfair that we have to contend with five other teams for the division title while the Angels, A's, Mariners and Rangers have only three teams vying for theirs. :dunno:
Selig's greatest blunder, IMO. That is, the greatest that he was allowed to consumate.

Houston to AL West makes all the sense in the world.

The DARK
06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
As much as we hate interleague around here, I've come to accept that the AL will never relinquish the DH (Dunn/Konerko can't both play 1B, for example; there's no way to convince AL teams to give up their star veteran hitters who can't play a position), and that the NL is a superior league in terms of strategy for not having it.

Also, I see the Astros moving. Of all the NL Central teams, they have the least in terms of history to lose by moving.

DGullett35
06-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I wish the A.L. pitchers would hit..get rid of the DH IMO, and either the Astros or Brewers moving would work. There should be 15 teams in each league.

As for interleague play. I like it because its something different, and I like seeing the good A.L. teams and there star players playing in the National league parks and vise versa

webbbj
06-11-2011, 11:34 PM
id like it. playing like 25% of the games vs the AL. and 75% against the NL dispersed equally.

Tadasimha
06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure why they'd pick Houston, though. Seems like they'd want to keep one NL and one AL team in Texas. Colorado maybe? Or move Milwaukee back.

I doubt they'd move the Brewers back as they've developed a great rivalry with the Cubs that they never had with the Sox.

I think they should shift the Diamondbacks to the AL West (good regional rival for the Rangers and Angels) and then shift the Astros into the NL West.

Now, on a wilder note with regards to the DH, here's a new idea:

Starting pitchers have to hit, but also must now pitch into the 7th inning to get the win. You can use a DH once you've gone to your bullpen after the 7th inning. Starters have PLENTY of time in the off days to get into the batting cage and take some swings. The bullpen guys pitch almost every day, it makes sense for them to not have to bat.

improbus
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I might be in the minority, but I think it is time to adopt the DH. It has permeated baseball at every level and it is time. I'm not sure that I watch baseball to watch pitchers lay down sacrifice bunts or to enjoy the finer points of the double switch. I watch baseball to see greatness, and pitchers hitting does not fit into that equation.

improbus
06-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Along similar lines, I was also thinking that there might be a positive that comes out of the steroid era in baseball. Steroids have made the historical numbers arguments almost useless, so now is baseball's chance to take advantage of that and shorten the schedule. Now that the numbers are thrown off, the need to protect the integrity of the numbers is gone and would allow MLB to shorten the season back to 154 or possible even less. Imagine teams not having to use 5 starters or instead being able to better preserve their arms throughout the season. How would this be bad?

Revering4Blue
06-12-2011, 03:14 PM
IMHO,

*Arizona or Colorado, even Milwaukee should move to the A.L instead of Houston. I agree with the earlier post stating that one Texas team in each league benefits MLB.

*I do not wish to see the N.L adopt the D.H, nor I want it to be eliminated altogether. The differentiation of play in both leagues is part of MLB's appeal to me. However, I do like the idea of interleague games involving pitchers batting at A.L parks with the DH in interleague games at N.L parks.

*Off the top of my head:

Teams in each league would play each other 10 times = 140 games

1 perennial interleague team (example Mets/Yankees) 10 times = 150 games

2 rotational interleague teams 6 times (home and home) OR 4 interleague teams 3 times (no home and home) = 162 games.

Either way, moving one N.L team to the A.L to create two 15 team leagues is long overdue

Vottomatic
06-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I like the idea. I think this is how it was at one time anyway, with eliminated divisions.

15 teams in each league (American, National) and the top 5 teams make the playoffs. Everyone plays the same schedule against their league and then mix in 22 games against the other league (like that idea).

I also think they should change the 25-man roster to 26 or 27. Gives teams an extra pitcher and extra utility guy.

DocRed
06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Nati League F0 Life!!!

Reds
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Anyone here want the Reds to be the team that moves to the AL?

GABP with a DH? forgetaboutit

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Colorado should move to the American League with Houston moving to the NL West.

5TimeWSChamps
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Get rid of interleague play

That's all I care about, the AL can play beer league softball all they want, keep the Reds out of it

brm7675
06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Get rid of interleague play

That's all I care about, the AL can play beer league softball all they want, keep the Reds out of it

How is the AL beer league softball?

arkimadee
06-15-2011, 03:36 AM
I hate the idea of having no divisions. Just look at last year. It was an awesome year but if there were no divisions the Reds would have done nothing but been the third place team in the NL. What sounds better. NL Central champs or NL 3rd place?

I do think it would be fair to move a team out of the NL to the AL to make it an even 15 teams. I'm not a big fan of moving the Astros to the AL because the Astros have always been NL. I wouldn't be opposed to moving them to the West and having the D-Backs or Rockies move to the AL. Teams with less tradition.

Also I think no divisions would kill alot of rivals because they wouldn't play as many games against each other. Example, Reds vs Cards, Yankees vs Redsox, Giants vs Dodgers.

arkimadee
06-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Anyone here want the Reds to be the team that moves to the AL?

GABP with a DH? forgetaboutit
hell no, AL baseball is boring!

Pete4prez
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I dont understand moving Houston, I would have thought that moving Milwakee back to the American made more since, taking into consideration they came from the american.