PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Poreda

Benihana
06-13-2011, 09:50 AM
was just DFA'd by San Diego. The former 1st round pick was the key to the Jake Peavy trade, but has struggled so far this year in AAA. Still 24 and left-handed, I'd see if he could be had for a song, as I'm a sucker for faded prospects and former first round picks who still have time to turn it around.

At least he's younger than Tom Cochran or Chad Reineke. Since they have interest in young, cheap OF (rumored Heisey deal) I might offer up Felix Perez, who clearly has no future in Cincy.

cinreds21
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
He had an ERA over 7 this year in Trips. I understand what you're saying but I'd rather have Horst or eventually Donnie Joseph than use up a 40-man spot on Poreda.
As for Perez's future with the Reds, he has a lot to learn. I don't know if he's as good as people thought last year, but he is just one year into his professional career. He still could be a big league backup for this organization that is somewhat thin at the backup outfield spot.

RedsManRick
06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Tall lefties often take awhile to develop, but the guy has demonstrated no control whatsoever the last few years. If the development guys see something they can fix, I guess the upside is there. But he definitely looks like a project at this point.

texasdave
06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2009/03/aaron-poreda-bio-scouting-report-pitches-white-sox-rotation/

They really liked this guy in the spring of 2009. Somewhere along the line he forgot how to throw strikes.

Benihana
06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
He had an ERA over 7 this year in Trips. I understand what you're saying but I'd rather have Horst or eventually Donnie Joseph than use up a 40-man spot on Poreda.
As for Perez's future with the Reds, he has a lot to learn. I don't know if he's as good as people thought last year, but he is just one year into his professional career. He still could be a big league backup for this organization that is somewhat thin at the backup outfield spot.

I don't think this team is thin at backup outfield spots at ALL.

Bruce
Stubbs
Heisey
Gomes
Lewis
Sappelt
Alonso
Frazier
Francisco
Hermida
LaMarre
Dorn
Negron
Puckett
Fellhauer

I'd put all of those guys on the depth chart ahead of Perez, who turns 27 this year and is OPSing .576 in AA.

cinreds21
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't think this team is thin at backup outfield spots at ALL.

Bruce
Stubbs
Heisey
Gomes
Lewis
Sappelt
Alonso
Frazier
Francisco
Hermida
LaMarre
Dorn
Negron
Puckett
Fellhauer

I'd put all of those guys on the depth chart ahead of Perez, who turns 27 this year and is OPSing .576 in AA.

Bruce-starter
Stubbs-starter
Heisey-backup, possibly starter
Gomes- Gone after this year
Lewis- gone after this year
Sapp-Could be a starter
Alonso-Could be traded soon, natural infielder.
Frazier- could start or be back in Trips next year, natural infielder.
Francisco-Could be dealt, only used in the outfield in emergency settings
Hermida-Could be gone after this year
LaMarre-Will be in Double-A next year, big league backup at worse
Dorn-Likely gone next year
Negron-mostly plays infield but can play center
Puckett-infielder who can play left.
Fellhauer-Could be big league backup at worse.

So that's, four or five "outfielders" that won't be starting and likely in the organization next year. What I was saying was that we don't have a deep outfield backup depth. Perez could very well tank and not make it to the show, but what I was saying is that we don't have many pure backup outfielders that are close.

Benihana
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Bruce-starter
Stubbs-starter
Heisey-backup, possibly starter
Gomes- Gone after this year
Lewis- gone after this year
Sapp-Could be a starter
Alonso-Could be traded soon, natural infielder.
Frazier- could start or be back in Trips next year, natural infielder.
Francisco-Could be dealt, only used in the outfield in emergency settings
Hermida-Could be gone after this year
LaMarre-Will be in Double-A next year, big league backup at worse
Dorn-Likely gone next year
Negron-mostly plays infield but can play center
Puckett-infielder who can play left.
Fellhauer-Could be big league backup at worse.

So that's, four or five "outfielders" that won't be starting and likely in the organization next year. What I was saying was that we don't have a deep outfield backup depth. Perez could very well tank and not make it to the show, but what I was saying is that we don't have many pure backup outfielders that are close.

All I'm saying, is that a guy who is turning 27 and is OPSing <.600 in AA has almost no value to this organization IMO. If we could get a 24 year old lefty, even with a 7+ ERA in AAA for him, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

cinreds21
06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
I understand. I think I'm being argumentative just because. Sorry.

cinreds21
06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Just an update, left-handed pitcher Aaron Poreda was outrighted to Triple-A Tuscan by the Padres today.

Orenda
06-17-2011, 05:35 PM
hmmm...he is striking out a batter per inning, giving up less than a hit per inning, and has only served up 1 hr in 32 innings. His stuff must still be there.

RedsManRick
06-18-2011, 06:37 PM
hmmm...he is striking out a batter per inning, giving up less than a hit per inning, and has only served up 1 hr in 32 innings. His stuff must still be there.

I don't think that was ever in question. The problem is he has no clue where it's going. He's also walking a batter per inning.