PDA

View Full Version : Just for the sake of discussion... if NL had DH, who would DH for the Reds right now?

Redsfan320
06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm against the DH, and never want to see it here, FTR, but I'm just wondering who would, on our current roster, DH for us?

Gomes, to get him out of the field?
Rolen, to rest his back?
(Call up) Alonso, because his bat is too good to ignore, but he has no real place in the field?
Phillips, because no one would expect it... lol?

Speculate hypothetically amongst yourselves...:)

reds1869
06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
I think it would have to be Alonso. His bat is too good not to put on the big league roster with one less pitcher and one more hitter.

kaldaniels
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Yonder.

HokieRed
06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Alonso. He ought to be in the lineup everyday now without the DH.

westofyou
06-13-2011, 01:47 PM
If NL had DH, who would DH for the Reds right now?

Satan... because if that scenario occurred it would be hell.

RedsManRick
06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Assuming the roster doesn't increase, it's Gomes, unquestionably. Any playing time he gets is because of his bat. And if the Reds liked Alonso's bat better at this point, he'd be up. LF would become a platoon of Heisey and Lewis.

cumberlandreds
06-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Alonso. Although you could make a case for Francisco being on the roster. He and Rolen could split time at DH.

Caveat Emperor
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Fun fact: the DH is referred to in several satanic rituals (and, if it isn't, it oughtta be).

mth123
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I might make a case for recalling Mesoraco and rotating the three catchers in the DH spot. Mes would be the missing RH power bat. It would allow him to learn the big league catching ropes while getting his bat in the line-up and still having the Hernanigan safety net behind the plate. It would be an ideal way to break him in and fill the 5 hole. Ramon could play a little 1B in this scenario as well while Votto plays some DH and semi rests.

Sea Ray
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM

It's true that the Reds are not set up to greatly benefit from a DH right now but think about the Big Red Machine ...maybe the best ever. Now think about how good they would have been if they were allowed to use a DH? We got a sneak peak at this possibility in the 1976 World Series and they were unbeatable. Insert Danny Driessen in there at DH, use Johnny Bench vs tough LHPs and imagine what that team would have achieved?

reds1869
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Assuming the roster doesn't increase, it's Gomes, unquestionably. Any playing time he gets is because of his bat. And if the Reds liked Alonso's bat better at this point, he'd be up. LF would become a platoon of Heisey and Lewis.

The roster size wouldn't need to increase if we added the DH. AL teams carry 11 pitchers and 14 hitters rather than our 12/13. They don't use as many pitchers because they don't PH for them. I also think Alonso would already be up in that situation.

westofyou
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
It's true that the Reds are not set up to greatly benefit from a DH right now but think about the Big Red Machine ...maybe the best ever. Now think about how good they would have been if they were allowed to use a DH? We got a sneak peak at this possibility in the 1976 World Series and they were unbeatable. Insert Danny Driessen in there at DH, use Johnny Bench vs tough LHPs and imagine what that team would have achieved?

I could care less about the added offense, I don't like the position, I don't like what it does to the game and the way it changes the way the game is managed. I'd rather watch pitchers run the bases every day of my life than to have to stomach a game where all the teams have the DH.

mattfeet
06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Bring up Juan Francisco for the majority of playing time at 3B. Let Rolen DH where he can stay rested and remain (hopefully) more productive. Give Rolen 1-2 games/week at 3B just so he doesn't lose his good glove. Why people are saying Gomes should be a DH, I have no idea. He'd be better as a designated fielder (if it existed) than a designated hitter.

-Matt

CTA513
06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I would probably give Alonso a shot at it, but wouldn't be surprised if it was wasted on one of the guys rotating in LF.

BCubb2003
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I would probably give Alonso a shot at it, but wouldn't be surprised if it was wasted on one of the guys rotating in LF.

Yes, AL teams seem to be built with the DH
in mind and actually (usually) get somebody who can really hit. When NL teams use a DH, they usually just grab the fourth outfielder.

15fan
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I could care less about the added offense, I don't like the position, I don't like what it does to the game and the way it changes the way the game is managed. I'd rather watch pitchers run the bases every day of my life than to have to stomach a game where all the teams have the DH.

Amen.

Big Klu
06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Like westofyou, I also have great disdain for the DH. Let the other league use it, but as for me and mine, we will follow the NL.

However, in the interest of answering the hypothetical question asked by this thread, I would think there are two answers:

1) If the roster were to remain unchanged, then it would be obvious that Jonny Gomes would be the primary DH (Fred Lewis and Chris Heisey would split time in LF in a semi-platoon). I think you would also see the DH position used as a way to get key regulars a day off without taking their bat out of the lineup. Scott Rolen would likely be the DH on most days he gets off from playing in the field. Joey Votto might also get more days off from the field, with Cairo or Hernandez filling in at 1B. Depending on how well he is hitting and who the opposing pitcher was, you might see Gomes get an occasional start in LF on those days.

2) If the DH were to become a fact of life, then you would likely see Alonso or Francisco up as the DH against RHP, with Gomes still serving as the DH vs. LHP.

Captain Hook
06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
If the Reds had a DH would they always use it for the pitcher?Has there ever been a situation when a team used the DH for one of their position players?Not that it's ideal for this team but Yanish is pretty bad and Mike Leake has a career OPS over .700.

westofyou
06-13-2011, 05:51 PM
If the Reds had a DH would they always use it for the pitcher?Has there ever been a situation when a team used the DH for one of their position players?Not that it's ideal for this team but Yanish is pretty bad and Mike Leake has a career OPS over .700.

DH at the MLB level may be used for the pitcher only as stated in Rule 6.09.

Captain Hook
06-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Well that's no fun.:D

steig
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM

I think you mean 6.10

westofyou
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I think you mean 6.10

Copied it from Wiki, could be