PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea with Oakland

schroomytunes
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
It seems like the A's are now in transition after firing Geren, seems like a good time to see if they could be sellers! Their starting pitching is probably off limits but they do have some guys that could be useful:

1) Josh Willingham-LF is a FA after the year, hitting .235 10hr 41rbi in a very weak lineup.(6m)

2) Michael Wuertz-RHRP is 32 and posing good numbers(2.8m) Arb.Eligable in 2012.

Acquiring these 2 guys are moves that could be done to strengthen this ballclub for the stretch run. Willingham gives us the LF we need moving Heisey and Lewis to #4/5. DFA Gomes, and Wuertz stabilizes the Middle Relief corps and gives us depth for 2012!

Oakland Trades-Willingham and Wuertz

Reds Trade-Carlos Fisher, Jeremy Horst, and Chris Valaika

Benihana
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
It seems like the A's are now in transition after firing Geren, seems like a good time to see if they could be sellers! Their starting pitching is probably off limits but they do have some guys that could be useful:

1) Josh Willingham-LF is a FA after the year, hitting .235 10hr 41rbi in a very weak lineup.(6m)

2) Michael Wuertz-RHRP is 32 and posing good numbers(2.8m) Arb.Eligable in 2012.

Acquiring these 2 guys are moves that could be done to strengthen this ballclub for the stretch run. Willingham gives us the LF we need moving Heisey and Lewis to #4/5. DFA Gomes, and Wuertz stabilizes the Middle Relief corps and gives us depth for 2012!

I would think the A's could get more than that for Willingham alone. Not a single one of those guys has a chance at being an impact player.

edabbs44
06-13-2011, 07:26 PM
I think Frazier is the type that would have to go.

camisadelgolf
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Those are good targets, but Oakland would laugh hysterically at that offer. Willingham and Wuertz have more value than you give them credit for. In the case of Wuertz, almost every team in baseball is looking for more relief pitching, and not only has been good, but he is on a great contract (makes only $3.25M next year).

Chris Valaika looks like nothing more than a bench player that might even pass through waivers if given the chance. Fisher has been very inconsistent and is out of options next year. Horst could've been had by any MLB team for $50,000 this past off-season, and everyone passed on him. It's not like he developed a new pitch or had a breakout in his development that suddenly increased his value.

I feel like this would be a better offer and still wouldn't be enough (I also don't see Gomes being traded):

A's get:
Jonny Gomes
Juan Francisco
Yorman Rodriguez
Matt Maloney

Reds get:
Josh Willingham
Mike Wuertz
Travis Banwart

Big Klu
06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Admittedly I don't know much abut him, but is Josh Willingham really an improvement over Jonny Gomes? I ask because at baseball-reference.com, #8 on Jonny Gomes' list of Most Similar Batters is Josh Willingham.

Oxilon
06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
We had our chance to get Weaver in 2004.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I would rather have Ryan Ludwick over Willingham. Ludwick is a better defender and has an .823 OPS away from Petco Park this season. He could return to being that .850 OPS guy if he plays half his games in GABP.

Big Klu
06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I would rather have Ryan Ludwick over Willingham. Ludwick is a better defender and has an .823 OPS away from Petco Park this season. He could return to being that .850 OPS guy if he plays half his games in GABP.

Ryan Ludwick is #1 on Josh Willingham's list of Most Similar Batters.

Josh Willingham is #1 on Ryan Ludwick's list of Most Similar Batters.

HokieRed
06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Admittedly I don't know much abut him, but is Josh Willingham really an improvement over Jonny Gomes? I ask because at baseball-reference.com, #8 on Jonny Gomes' list of Most Similar Batters is Josh Willingham.

Good questions. Willingham's not enough of an improvement, IMHO, to justify the salary difference or to make me think trading for him would be a plus. If we're going to upgrade, I'd prefer a more significant one.

nate
06-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Have they ever been seen together?

:cool:

Sea Ray
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Those three players are not even major leaguers. It's questionable that any team would even pick them in a Rule 5 draft

OesterPoster
06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Just my opinion, but I think Carlos Quentin is a better trade target for LF than Willingham or Ludwick. Career OPS over .800 against righties and lefties. Absolutely mashing lefties this year, OPS 1.135, and still doing .886 against righties this year.

Makes $5 million this year, a contract year. Probably only have $2.5 to $3 million remaining when possibly traded. Rental player, so really shouldn't cost much.

OldXOhio
06-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I prefer to look at Willingham's recent numbers in WAS where he was surrounded by better hitters, in the NL and in a little more hitter friendly park than OAK. Whether it's JW or Ludwick, they are definite upgrades to Gomes. The new top 6 in the order might become the best in the NL:

Stubbs
Phillips
Votto
Will / Ludwick
Bruce
Rolen
Ramon / Hannigan
SS

Even league average pitching could get by w that lineup.

PuffyPig
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Ludwick would be a plus defender in left, Willingham below average.

Ghosts of 1990
06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
They found a home for Adam Rosales in taking him off our hands....

.... perhaps they would find something intriguing in Paul Janish?

cinreds21
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I personally would like a Yonder Alonso to Tampa for left-handed pitcher Matt Moore. Tampa really needs a first baseman and we could use a left-handed starter. He's 3-3 with a 2.75 ERA in Double-A this year with 92 strikeouts.

LincolnparkRed
06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I think they were talking about Josh to the Phillies last night. Seems like he might be a popular player.

In the same report they talked about Betemit again. Problem was in all the highlights they showed it looked like he has a leg injury. That or the worst built in hitch I have ever seen from a healthy player.

camisadelgolf
06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I personally would like a Yonder Alonso to Tampa for left-handed pitcher Matt Moore. Tampa really needs a first baseman and we could use a left-handed starter. He's 3-3 with a 2.75 ERA in Double-A this year with 92 strikeouts.
I like that idea, too, but who plays 1B if Joey Votto gets injured for an extended period of time? Ramon Hernandez? Miguel Cairo?

cinreds21
06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I like that idea, too, but who plays 1B if Joey Votto gets injured for an extended period of time? Ramon Hernandez? Miguel Cairo?

Danny Dorn, duh!

Seriously though, you can't keep Yonder just because we may need him because of an injury. His value is high and it's inevitable that the Reds trade him.

But to answer your question seriously, if Votto gets hurt then Frazier or Francisco would come up and play first.

camisadelgolf
06-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Danny Dorn, duh!

Seriously though, you can't keep Yonder just because we may need him because of an injury. His value is high and it's inevitable that the Reds trade him.

But to answer your question seriously, if Votto gets hurt then Frazier or Francisco would come up and play first.
I like having Alonso as insurance for if Votto leaves after 2013. Don't get me wrong--I love Moore as a prospect and would love a deal that involves trading Alonso for him--but if it can't happen, I'm totally fine with Alonso being a minor leaguer or bench player until we know for sure where Votto's going to end up.

cinreds21
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
I like having Alonso as insurance for if Votto leaves after 2013. Don't get me wrong--I love Moore as a prospect and would love a deal that involves trading Alonso for him--but if it can't happen, I'm totally fine with Alonso being a minor leaguer or bench player until we know for sure where Votto's going to end up.

Well he very well could be in the minors until the 2013 season. His fourth option would be used by then. I highly doubt they'd hang on to him for that long. Either Yonder needs to start next year or shipped off. No reason letting him rot on the big league bench or in Louisville.

camisadelgolf
06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Well he very well could be in the minors until the 2013 season. His fourth option would be used by then. I highly doubt they'd hang on to him for that long. Either Yonder needs to start next year or shipped off. No reason letting him rot on the big league bench or in Louisville.
I wouldn't call it 'rotting'. I like bringing up minor leaguers as part-time players. When they show they can handle it, that's when I like to throw them in the lineup everyday. It's 'grooming', if you will.

cinreds21
06-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't call it 'rotting'. I like bringing up minor leaguers as part-time players. When they show they can handle it, that's when I like to throw them in the lineup everyday. It's 'grooming', if you will.

Yea. It wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, I just think we would get a better value in a trade.

camisadelgolf
06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Yea. It wouldn't be the worse thing in the world, I just think we would get a better value in a trade.
I agree, but top-prospect-for-top-prospect trades are very rare. I hope I'm wrong because I love Moore as a prospect, but I just don't see it happening. I also know that I'd hate to lose both Votto and Alonso only to pray that Neftali Soto puts it together. He's the only legitimate alternative right now because we sure as heck know that Danny Dorn, Chris Richburg, Dominic D'Anna, etc. aren't the answer.

cinreds21
06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I agree, but top-prospect-for-top-prospect trades are very rare. I hope I'm wrong because I love Moore as a prospect, but I just don't see it happening. I also know that I'd hate to lose both Votto and Alonso only to pray that Neftali Soto puts it together. He's the only legitimate alternative right now because we sure as heck know that Danny Dorn, Chris Richburg, Dominic D'Anna, etc. aren't the answer.

Very true. Soto is going to be a poor man's Mike Jacobs I think. (with less power)