PDA

View Full Version : Here's A Target: Jered Weaver

Benihana
06-13-2011, 07:02 PM
There's been a lot of talk about the dearth of frontline starters available on the trade market this year. We finally may have found one:

http://www.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/could_angels_wind_up_being_sellers/5027086
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/6/13/2222238/could-jered-weaver-be-moved

If he becomes available, the Reds should pull out all the stops. While Reyes or Kemp/Ethier would be nice, Weaver could certainly put this team squarely in pennant contention. He only makes $7.4MM this year and is eligible for arbitration in the offseason, as he will be a FA after 2012. He is affordable, fits within our window, and possibly could be available. Walt has acquired a young, arbitration-eligible cocky budding star from Anaheim before. Make it twice Walt, please.

What would you part with for Weaver?

VR
06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Love to have him. Would require most of the Louisville roster to get him.....not sure why the Angels would let him go.

Joseph
06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah I agree, the Angels are not a team who are ever really 'out of it' in that AL West. They will have down years from time to time, but most years are right in it.

Benihana
06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
I would think Alonso, Grandal, and Leake or Wood would certainly get the conversation going quickly. Throw in a Frazier or Francisco and the fact that they wouldn't be strengthening their future competitors in the Yanks or Sox and you might have something.

I'm not sure if any of the other NL contenders are/would be looking for significant pitching help: Giants, Cardinals, Brewers, and Phillies are all pretty much set at the top of their rotations, and/or don't have enough in the cupboard to get a deal done (at least let's hope).

Rojo
06-13-2011, 07:26 PM
The Angels only seem to add players.

Scrap Irony
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
He'd be the type of player to empty the farm for, certainly. Would an Alonso, Mesoraco, Chapman deal be enough to get him?

I think it would.

Will M
06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
He'd be the type of player to empty the farm for, certainly. Would an Alonso, Mesoraco, Chapman deal be enough to get him?

I think it would.

For me the following guys are ones I'd like to keep:
1) Mes
2) Cozart unless we get a SS back
3) Frazier although it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I think he is our best bet for playing 3B after Rolen retires

Pretty much everyone else is fair game. A trade for Weaver would start with Alonso. Chapman is not untouchable. In fact with his struggles & the money owed him he is quite risky for the Reds (or any team that acquires him).

dougdirt
06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't trade Mesoraco in any deal, but anyone else on the farm is tradable IMO. You just can't trade a catcher like Mesoraco.

wheels
06-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Didn't the Expos trade away Randy Johnson early in his career?

I think they got Mark Langston for him. I can draw parallels between that deal and a theoretical deal involving Chapman and Weaver.

Does it give me pause? Yeah.

Would I include him in a deal to get Weaver? Yeah.

I'd offer Chapman, Alonso, and Grandal but I wouldn't be happy to see any of them go.

Will M
06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Didn't the Expos trade away Randy Johnson early in his career?

I think they got Mark Langston for him. I can draw parallels between that deal and a theoretical deal involving Chapman and Weaver.

Does it give me pause? Yeah.

Would I include him in a deal to get Weaver? Yeah.

I'd offer Chapman, Alonso, and Grandal but I wouldn't be happy to see any of them go.

That is exactly the kind of deal that makes the Reds contenders in 2011 & 2012. Add a lesser deal to get a real left fielder. Replace Janish/Renteria with Cozart. Get Homer back. The Reds could win the NL Central & be much better equipped to handle the playoffs than the 2010 team was.

jojo
06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Concerning trade value, the Reds would be getting him for only a year and a half and his 2012 season will likely cost $10+M.......

Im not sure why the Angels would trade him but he wouldn't be painless to acquire.

Homer Bailey
06-13-2011, 10:41 PM
So the Angels trade FOR Dan Haren, but are going to trade AWAY Jared Weaver? Wow.

AmarilloRed
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
They're only 5 games back of Texas, but they are on a 12 game road trip. They'll only trade him if they really fall out of contention on this road trip.

signalhome
06-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd be willing to give up anyone in the farm except Mesoraco. Hamilton seems to fit the Angels style of play, so I think he may be a good starting point. He and Grandal would probably get the ball rolling in talks, though I'm sure it would eventually take more than just those two. Of course, the Angels have Segura and Conger in their system, so maybe they wouldn't even be interested in Hamilton or Grandal.

KronoRed
06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Their division is pretty bad, we'll fall out of it before they will.

HeatherC1212
06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
The Angels are more likely to let Jerod go as a FA than they are to trade him away while they have control of him. They did that to Lackey and to Jerrod Washburn in the past. I can't see them trading him but he is an amazing pitcher who looks good in red. :)

schroomytunes
06-14-2011, 12:37 AM
I'd much rather trade with the other LA team!!!! I think with the Dodgers current position both economics(mcCourt) and standings they will be willing to unload some salary for good young depth! Guys that interest me on them are:

1) Jamey Carroll-he is 37 not in LA's future plans makes @2.2million can play both 2nd/SS and occasional OF/3b. We would be able to acquire him for a couple of mid-low prospects...would allow us to DFA Renteria.

2)Mike MacDougle-is 34 makes 500k is an extreme GB pitcher would help the MR in the pen...could be had for low prospects.

3)Chad Billingsley-is 26 makes @6.5million a GB pitcher that would be great for GABP, would be our #1 guy, but he would be expensive as far as prospects, I'd offer....Alonzo, Grandal and D.Joseph to gauge interest!

Thoughts?

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
They could have had Weaver in 2004, but they decided to save money and take Bailey.

They saved $1.7M. I'm not sure that it was worth it, but it's not my money.

Benihana
06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
NM

jojo
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Their division is pretty bad, we'll fall out of it before they will.

Texas might win their division by 15 this season if they can stay healthy.