PDA

View Full Version : why not give zack cozart a shot ?

ol'Sparky
06-14-2011, 10:41 AM
http://hawkfantasysports.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/zack-cozart-cincinnati-redss.jpg?w=199&h=300

brm7675
06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
to me at this point it just proves how anti youth Dusty is. There is no reason why Cozart isn't up here seeing what he can do. It is really shameful how dusty's inability to be open to new things is hurting the growth of a number of the Reds younger players.

bounty37h
06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
It likely isn't Dustys call to get him up here-playing him might be a different story once he gets here.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 11:12 AM
It likely isn't Dustys call to get him up here-playing him might be a different story once he gets here.

He's the manager...whom's call would it be?

texasdave
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I think as long as the Reds stay close it won't matter what the people in AAA do, as far as position players are concerned. Reds' management is going to stick with the club they have barring injury. Walt and Dusty like the roster composition and if they stay in the race won't make any changes. JMO.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I think as long as the Reds stay close it won't matter what the people in AAA do, as far as position players are concerned. Reds' management is going to stick with the club they have barring injury. Walt and Dusty like the roster composition and if they stay in the race won't make any changes. JMO.

I think you are right...which is sad....:(

Stray
06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
We made the decision to go with Janish at the start of this season. A decision that most people loved, and some other posters (no names included) didn't believe. If I recall correctly some were even saying Janish was a backup to Renteria regardless of what Dusty said.

I know he hasn't swung the bat well, but he's actually not that horrible with runners on base and is starting to get a few more hits here and there. I think if he can be a .250 hitter with great defense we'll gladly take it on this team.

Cozart will get his chance eventually, but we aren't going to mix things up like that on a team that is in contention.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 11:42 AM
We made the decision to go with Janish at the start of this season. A decision that most people loved, and some other posters (no names included) didn't believe. If I recall correctly some were even saying Janish was a backup to Renteria regardless of what Dusty said.

I know he hasn't swung the bat well, but he's actually not that horrible with runners on base and is starting to get a few more hits here and there. I think if he can be a .250 hitter with great defense we'll gladly take it on this team.

Cozart will get his chance eventually, but we aren't going to mix things up like that on a team that is in contention.

so what you are saying...be damed the talent, we enjoy being a .500 team?

Stray
06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
so what you are saying...be damed the talent, we enjoy being a .500 team?

Where did you take that out of what I wrote?

Look at a guy like Hermida, he's tearing it up in AAA right now. We all saw how he did up here... There aren't any certainties when you promote young players like that, and offensively we're fine. Sure we can have frustrating moments but what team doesn't? I'm pretty confident that with this group of guys we can lead the National League in runs scored and fielding.

We're a .500 team because we've had unreliable pitching. Lately that has started to change and if it continues I believe we'll make a steady climb up the standings.

texasdave
06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Are the Reds a good team? Yes.
Can the Reds make the playoffs? Yes.
Can the Reds win a playoff series? Depending on the matchup - maybe.
Can the Reds win it all? No.
These are just my opinions obviously. Another opinion is that Walt should only concern himself with the last question. He should ask himself this, "Is this team, as currently comprised, good enough to win it all?". If his answer is yes then, by all means, stick with the status quo. If his answer is no, then he needs to address whatever shortcomings this team has that is holding it back from the ultimate goal. A world championship.
The Reds have been down and making the playoffs was great. But is that what this organization is shooting for now? Is that the goal- a playoff berth and an early exit? I hope not.

DaytonFlyer
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Zack Cozart = World Series. Got it.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Where did you take that out of what I wrote?

Look at a guy like Hermida, he's tearing it up in AAA right now. We all saw how he did up here... There aren't any certainties when you promote young players like that, and offensively we're fine. Sure we can have frustrating moments but what team doesn't? I'm pretty confident that with this group of guys we can lead the National League in runs scored and fielding.

We're a .500 team because we've had unreliable pitching. Lately that has started to change and if it continues I believe we'll make a steady climb up the standings.

A) Hermida has had shots on the major league level and never really produced so it was no shock he didn't produce while up here.

B) You are right there are no certainties, but we do know he can play on the AAA level, so what else does he have to prove? What is the benefit to him or the Reds to keep him down there?

C) The pitcher was just fine in SF this past weekend...how did that go?

cres36
06-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I would like to see cozart up here and given a taste of the bigs....however i am in no means ready to hand him the reigns to stating ss. PJ was hurt a little while slumping which gave him some god-awful numbers there for awhile but recently his swing is coming around and his defense is usually pretty stellar. I don't get why everyone makes a huge deal out of a 8 hole hitter not tearing the cover off the ball, when does the 8th hitter do that??? I agree he needs to produce more offensively and i think he will given time. That said I would like to see Pj and cozart split time like 65-35%... its no guarantee cozart will continue you his insane june numbers up here and also what do you do with renteria?I I personally wouldnt mind seeing him go i am not a huge fan of his anyway but he is an experienced vet and if we find ourselves in the world series he could be valuable haha

izzy's dad
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I really think this guy can play. While there is no way to project a AAA ballplayer to the major league level statistically, he certainly passes the eyeball test. Tired of Renteria booting balls, and being a waste of money. Janish has had his shot and routinely looks poor at the plate. Give him a chance.

Who Dey Time
06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
to me at this point it just proves how anti youth Dusty is. There is no reason why Cozart isn't up here seeing what he can do. It is really shameful how dusty's inability to be open to new things is hurting the growth of a number of the Reds younger players.

Dusty relies on players like Bruce, Votto, Stubbs, Cueto, Leake, Wood, Volquez on an everyday basis. How is this anti-youth?

The reason why Cozart is not here is because the team we have now is the team that was constructed to win this year. While the Reds are not in first place now they are still very much in both the Central and Wild Card races. The middle of the pennant race is not the time to see what he can do as you call it. Even if he were to come up he'd wouldn't see much time....not exaclty something that is beneficial to a young player.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Dusty relies on players like Bruce, Votto, Stubbs, Cueto, Leake, Wood, Volquez on an everyday basis. How is this anti-youth?

The reason why Cozart is not here is because the team we have now is the team that was constructed to win this year. While the Reds are not in first place now they are still very much in both the Central and Wild Card races. The middle of the pennant race is not the time to see what he can do as you call it. Even if he were to come up he'd wouldn't see much time....not exaclty something that is beneficial to a young player.

Why not? He can't play anyworse then Edgar.

40YrRedsFan
06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I think Rolen's and the left fielder's poor offense is hurting us more than Janish. Rolen's poor showing has forced Dusty to bat Bruce 4th, giving us the two lefties in a row, which has benefited opposing teams managers in using their lefty relief men against us. Janish, for the most part, seems to be hitting better now than he was earlier, and if he can hit in the .250 range, I would take it. On the other hand, I think Renteria's value is nil at this point, and replacing him with Cozart wouldn't hurt us at all.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I think Rolen's and the left fielder's poor offense is hurting us more than Janish. Rolen's poor showing has forced Dusty to bat Bruce 4th, giving us the two lefties in a row, which has benefited opposing teams managers in using their lefty relief men against us. Janish, for the most part, seems to be hitting better now than he was earlier, and if he can hit in the .250 range, I would take it. On the other hand, I think Renteria's value is nil at this point, and replacing him with Cozart wouldn't hurt us at all.

How is it hurting us when Bruce and Votto are like 1-2 in best lefties hitting lefties?

Vottomatic
06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm really disappointed in management this year. We may only be 4 or 5 games out, but I feel with some better decision-making, this team should be in first place.

Stray
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
A) Hermida has had shots on the major league level and never really produced so it was no shock he didn't produce while up here.

B) You are right there are no certainties, but we do know he can play on the AAA level, so what else does he have to prove? What is the benefit to him or the Reds to keep him down there?

C) The pitcher was just fine in SF this past weekend...how did that go?

I'm not saying Hermida deserves a spot on the roster or anything, just using an example. Him and Fransisco are both tearing up AAA pitching just like Cozart. Getting him up here requires a move, and with the '?' associated with bringing a player up are you willing to plug him into the everyday lineup and demote Janish? As I said before, Janish has actually been playing better lately and I love the fact that Dusty has shown faith in him this season.

Realize we are going to be in a division race and you would be taking a guy's starting job away from him, releasing a proven vet??, and relying on an unproven commodity. I'm all in favor of upgrading positions, but I'd like to know it's an upgrade. Cozart will get his shot and I hope he makes the best out of it. Also, bringing him up to be a backup would make no sense at this point in his career.

Yeah pitching was fine in San Fran, but as everyone knows your offense isn't going to be there every night. Over the course of 162 I am more than comfortable with the run production this team will give.

VottoFan54
06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Why does everyone hate Janish he has been hitting a lot better for the last couple of weeks. If he can hit like he has been recently we will be fine as far as the shortstop position is concerned.

brm7675
06-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not saying Hermida deserves a spot on the roster or anything, just using an example. Him and Fransisco are both tearing up AAA pitching just like Cozart. Getting him up here requires a move, and with the '?' associated with bringing a player up are you willing to plug him into the everyday lineup and demote Janish? As I said before, Janish has actually been playing better lately and I love the fact that Dusty has shown faith in him this season.

I DFA Edgar, he brings nothing to the table that Cozart doesn't and Cozart has far more upside.

Realize we are going to be in a division race and you would be taking a guy's starting job away from him, releasing a proven vet??, and relying on an unproven commodity.

A proven vet? Really is that like verteran creaminess?

I'm all in favor of upgrading positions, but I'd like to know it's an upgrade. Cozart will get his shot and I hope he makes the best out of it. Also, bringing him up to be a backup would make no sense at this point in his career.

Why? Again what good does it do to keep him at AAA? He has reached the point where we need to see what this kid can and can not do? If not now then when?

Yeah pitching was fine in San Fran, but as everyone knows your offense isn't going to be there every night. Over the course of 162 I am more than comfortable with the run production this team will give.

defender
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Why not? He can't play anyworse then Edgar.

Yes, he could play worse than Edgar. I think you were correct in another thread when you said that bringing up Chapman and putting him in the pen has harmed his developement. Why risk Cozart floundering in the majors and hindering his progress?

Vottomatic
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
The Reds management is going to look up one day and all the so-called top prospects in the farm system will be 27 years old or older and not wanted by other teams.

Cozart is 26????? Geez. What else does he have to prove? It's like now or never Walt.

kfm
06-14-2011, 08:49 PM
It seems like it is time to make a couple of moves. Cozart is one that makes the most sense. He is already on the 40 man, he is hitting leadoff and he is just killing the baseball. The real problem is that management does not want to DFA Renteria or Lewis. So here they sit with what they probably consider better cheaper options at AAA but with only the DFA option to get them up here. I don't think any of them would be upset if there was an injury. BTW, Fay made it quite clear during his chat today that Walt decides the roster. As has been mentioned before, Dusty is allowed to give input just like any manager would, but ultimately Walt decides who is on the roster. To me this may be a better team with Cozart and Sappelt who just hit a two run homer to right field in the bats game tonight.

texasdave
06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Sappelt now 4 for 4. Hitting about .360 with and OPS of 1.018. Got two hits every time he came up in Spring Training. Nope. Reds couldn't use a player like that.

Old NDN
06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Some tweaking of the roster:
Sappelt: batting leadoff and playing LF/ sharing time with Hisey. Gomes becomes a PH. Reds need a spark @the top of the order.
Cozart: Sharing SS w/Janish. Let him get some experience w/the big boys. Can he play third base?
DFA/trade: Lewis, Renteria

bounty37h
06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
He's the manager...whom's call would it be?

The General Manager maybe, someone has to approve bringing him up and paying him then, service time, etc. They might ask Dusty his thoughts, needs, opinions etc, but doubt he has much say after that.

brm7675
06-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes, he could play worse than Edgar. I think you were correct in another thread when you said that bringing up Chapman and putting him in the pen has harmed his developement. Why risk Cozart floundering in the majors and hindering his progress?

What more is there to develop? Unlike Chapman, Cozart has shown he can play and play very well on the AAA level, so that means it's time to see what he can do on the next level.

Pete4prez
06-15-2011, 09:49 PM
We will see Cozart in a reds uniform next season, doubt if Walt and Dusty will make a move on Renteria this season.

Vottomatic
06-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Sappelt now 4 for 4. Hitting about .360 with and OPS of 1.018. Got two hits every time he came up in Spring Training. Nope. Reds couldn't use a player like that.

Yeah, I was on another Reds message board tooting my horn about how I wish Renteria and one of the backup outfielders would go down with a minor injury for a couple of weeks so we could get Sappelt and Cozart up here.

I wish some team in the pennant race needed a SS. Here's hoping one of theirs has a non-career threatening injury so someone trades with us for Renteria. Because I know the Reds won't DFA'd Renteria or Lewis. They just won't do it.