PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn, In a Slump or Washed Up?

Pages : 1 [2]

Sea Ray
04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
HR tonight 1-2. HOT STREAK!

What did he do in the 9th inning with the bases loaded and no outs?

Struck out, of course

Johnny Footstool
04-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Struck out, of course

So he's continuing to help his team by not grounding into a double play. Nicely Dunn!

jojo
04-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I watched Dunn throughout the Seattle series and he looked good. Last year he looked lost.

smith288
04-24-2012, 12:32 PM
So he's continuing to help his team by not grounding into a double play. Nicely Dunn!
For reals! Sean Casey didn't strike out as much but boy could he GIDP.

Nasty_Boy
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
They were up in 4-0 in the 9th, so that doesn't count against his "clutch" stats. If they were down 3-0 then he surely would have homered. Dunn is clutch if nothing else!

oneupper
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
They were up in 4-0 in the 9th, so that doesn't count against his "clutch" stats. If they were down 3-0 then he surely would have homered. Dunn is clutch if nothing else!

June 30, 2006!

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260630117

Nasty_Boy
04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
June 30, 2006!

One of my favorite moments... I'm a huge Dunn fan. I was being a little facetious with my last post. I actually picked Dunn up in a deep mixed fantasy league and have had some decent production from him banking on his resurgence. :)

fearofpopvol1
04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
June 30, 2006!

Too bad the video content isn't available. That was an amazing game. I remember watching it in a bar and the place going nuts.

Sea Ray
04-24-2012, 02:29 PM

They were up 3-0. Dunn didn't want to blow the save opportunity...

Yachtzee
04-24-2012, 03:22 PM

I just had a new clutch put in my Toyota Camry.

oneupper
04-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Too bad the video content isn't available. That was an amazing game. I remember watching it in a bar and the place going nuts.

I actually bought the video of that game on MLB.tv. Only game I own.

Scrap Irony
04-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Dunn's numbers so far this young season: .250 .366 .550 .916

Seems as if he's gone back to basics and again is a three true outcomes poster child.

Good to see.

westofyou
04-24-2012, 08:49 PM
I just had a new clutch put in my Toyota Camry.

Iv'e had a clutch in all my cars for 30 years

oneupper
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Dunn's numbers so far this young season: .250 .366 .550 .916

Seems as if he's gone back to basics and again is a three true outcomes poster child.

Good to see.

Last year was Ozzie's fault. :D

wheels
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
He's still one of my favorite players ever. I'm as happy for him as anyone.

Too bad the Reds didn't try to trade for him in the offseason. I bet Chicago would have paid a good chunk to get him off their hands.;)

WVRedsFan
04-25-2012, 12:03 AM

Too bad the Reds didn't try to trade for him in the offseason. I bet Chicago would have paid a good chunk to get him off their hands.;)Word.

kaldaniels
04-25-2012, 12:20 AM
I would have to know the terms, but Dunn was arguably the worst player in the AL last year -2.7 WAR. Hard to target a guy like that.

Nasty_Boy
04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Last year was Ozzie's fault. :D

Not at all saying it was Ozzie's fault... But I've often wondered how some guys handle playing for Ozzie. Ventura's personality seems more suited for a guy like Dunn to be comfortable and relaxed. No doubt Ozzie was not the reason Dunn struggled so bad last season, but I could see him not helping matters.

Sea Ray
04-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Too bad the Reds didn't try to trade for him in the offseason. I bet Chicago would have paid a good chunk to get him off their hands.;)

Dunn doesn't play a position that we're allowed to use in this league

RichRed
04-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Even the game show "Jeopardy!" is getting in on the Adam Dunn snark!

Last night, one of the categories had to do with various people named Dunn. I wondered aloud if one of the clues would involve Adam. Sure enough, one of them went something like: "Slugger Adam Dunn of the Chicago White Sox, who hit .159 in 2011, ironically saw most of his playing time at this position."

The answer (question), of course being, "What is designated hitter?"

I see what you did there, clever Jeopardy writers.

Unassisted
04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
"Slugger Adam Dunn of the Chicago White Sox, who hit .159 in 2011, ironically saw most of his playing time at this position."

The answer (question), of course being, "What is designated hitter?"
I now have a picture in my mind of White Sox fans holding their chins and realizing the irony when they watch Dunn fail to reach base for the third time in a game. http://www.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/think.gif

mbgrayson
05-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Adam hit a walk-off HR tonight for the ChiSox. Through May 5, 2012, Adam is hitting:

.250/.376/.573 for an OPS of .949, with 8 HRs, 22 RBIs, 40 Ks, and 19 BBs.

Much more like the Adam Dunn we all knew....

RedsManRick
05-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Dunn's rate of swinging at pitches out of the zone is back down from its high of the last two seasons. Coincidence?

Vottomatic
05-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I heard 2 callers on Doc's Reds postgame show say the Reds should trade to get Dunn back as a cleanup hitter, and see if the ChiSox will throw in alot of money to unload him.

I don't see it happening, and I'm conflicted as to whether or not it's a good move with his long contract.

Razor Shines
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM

Struck out, of course

Dunn Revives His Late-inning Lightning
From Elias: Adam Dunn's two-run home run in the ninth inning turned a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead and an eventual White Sox victory over the Tigers by that score. It marked the 17th time in Dunn's major-league career that he had belted a go-ahead home run in the ninth inning or later. Dunn is tied with Chipper Jones for the fourth-highest such total among active players, trailing Andruw Jones, Jason Giambi and Jim Thome, each of whom has 18, but it was Dunn's first blast of that kind since Sept. 28, 2010, when, while playing with the Nationals, he connected off the Phillies' Jose Contreras. (If you're wondering, Albert Pujols has hit 16 home runs of that type and Alex Rodriguez 15.)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nasty_Boy
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
^^^^ Don't let facts get in the way of good argument! :beerme:

dougdirt
05-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Dunn's rate of swinging at pitches out of the zone is back down from its high of the last two seasons. Coincidence?

Very doubtful. Expanding the zone is bad. Doing so when you already suck at making contact is worse.

Gainesville Red
05-06-2012, 01:14 PM
He just hit another one. That's #9.

reds44
05-06-2012, 01:22 PM
#teambigdonkey

Sea Ray
05-06-2012, 05:53 PM
^^^^ Don't let facts get in the way of good argument! :beerme:

Don't let context get in the way of a good argument. My comment referred to his striking out with the bases loaded during the game in question. To point out that he was later successful in the 9th inning of a game that wasn't even played yet is the epitome of lame. If you really want to impress me, you should have said at the time that he was going to hit a game winning two run homer on such and such date.

Would you consider it lame of me if I posted something like :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: the next time he struck out in a key 9th inning situation? That would get us nowhere and I have more class than that. Adam Dunn has some of the lamest fans And that hasn't changed

Ron Madden
05-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Don't let context get in the way of a good argument. My comment referred to his striking out with the bases loaded during the game in question. To point out that he was later successful in the 9th inning of a game that wasn't even played yet is the epitome of lame. If you really want to impress me, you should have said at the time that he was going to hit a game winning two run homer on such and such date.

Would you consider it lame of me if I posted something like :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: the next time he struck out in a key 9th inning situation? That would get us nowhere and I have more class than that. Adam Dunn has some of the lamest fans And that hasn't changed

You have the right not to be an Adam Dunn Fan but I don't think you have the right to insult Adam Dunn Fans and call them lame..

Class?

Razor Shines
05-06-2012, 06:55 PM

So you think posting that he of course struck out in the 9th inning of a game they were winning 4-0 is more relevant than the fact that he is in the top 5 of active players for their careers in 9th inning go-ahead home runs?

I wouldn't even try to make the claim that Dunn is clutch but I wouldn't say he's unclutch either. I think he pretty much does what he does at the same rate regardless of the situation, like most players.

Sea Ray
05-06-2012, 07:08 PM
So you think posting that he of course struck out in the 9th inning of a game they were winning 4-0 is more relevant than the fact that he is in the top 5 of active players for their careers in 9th inning go-ahead home runs?

I wouldn't even try to make the claim that Dunn is clutch but I wouldn't say he's unclutch either. I think he pretty much does what he does at the same rate regardless of the situation, like most players.

My comment was limited to that night. I agree with you in that I won't attempt to call him clutch or non clutch

As to relevance, fine but don't take something that hadn't happened yet to apply to my post.I was in no way saying that he'd never hit a 9th inning HR again

Sea Ray
05-06-2012, 07:11 PM
You have the right not to be an Adam Dunn Fan but I don't think you have the right to insult Adam Dunn Fans and call them lame..

I don't know if I am or am not an Adam Dunn fan. That's been endlessly debated around here but I do think it's lame to pull an event out of the future and apply it to a past quote if nobody predicted it. I call 'em like I see 'em as you did in characterizing me as someone who is not an Adam Dunn fan

Ron Madden
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't know if I am or am not an Adam Dunn fan. That's been endlessly debated around here but I do think it's lame to pull an event out of the future and apply it to a past quote if nobody predicted it. I call 'em like I see 'em as you did in characterizing me as someone who is not an Adam Dunn fan

There was a time when name calling was against the rules of RedsZone but I guess it's alright to call other members lame now days. :(

Johnny Footstool
05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Play nice or the playground will close.

RedEye
05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
My goodness, this man is such a lightning rod -- and he hasn't been on the team in years. The only time we can avoid fighting about Dunn on here is when he is indisputably sucking (like last year). Soon as he has a hot streak, the mods start working overtime. ;)

AtomicDumpling
05-06-2012, 09:34 PM

The inference in your post came across that Dunn usually strikes out in a clutch situation, so it was not a surprise that he did so in that particular game. Maybe that is not what you meant?

Aren't you the one that created this thread to disparage Dunn and his supporters? Seems you enjoy rubbing peoples' noses in the poo when Dunn is playing poorly, but it gets under your skin when people point out that Dunn is playing well again. I am sure you enjoyed Dunn's horrible 2011, but now there are signs that Dunn has returned to his usual stellar performance. We will see where it goes from here. Could go either way. He is the front-runner for Comeback Player of the Year one month into the season. So he has that going for him, which is nice.

The folks that felt Dunn was a bad player had to wait a decade for him to finally put up a bad season. They kept telling us how bad Dunn was because of his low batting average and high strikeout totals, but Dunn just kept on hitting hundreds of home runs and leading the team in RBIs and Runs Scored. Finally he had a bad season in 2011 and everyone felt justified in saying "I told you so", even though it was years later after they "told us". Now he is back to being a very good hitter again, at least for now. Maybe he wasn't too lazy, fat and slow after all? People claimed he was too lazy and fat the whole time he played for the Reds and was one of the best hitters in the league. Then he had a terrible 2011 and people thought their opinion of him was finally vindicated.

No matter how good or bad Dunn plays from here on out it won't change the fact that Dunn was an excellent hitter for the Reds for many years.

Some people hope he does well. Other people want him to fail. I don't remember any other Reds player whom so many Reds fans wished would play poorly. Fans usually want all Reds players to succeed, but a lot of fans wanted Dunn to fail just so they could justify their hatred of him. I've never seen anything like it.

mbgrayson
05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Today, Dunn hit another HR, #9, and was 1 for 4 w/ 2 Ks. He is back, and is once again a three true outcomes type of guy. He is also hot, and when Adam gets hot, he tends to stay that way for a week or two. Five of his nine HRs have come in the last week.

Sea Ray
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
The inference in your post came across that Dunn usually strikes out in a clutch situation, so it was not a surprise that he did so in that particular game. Maybe that is not what you meant?

Aren't you the one that created this thread to disparage Dunn and his supporters? Seems you enjoy rubbing peoples' noses in the poo when Dunn is playing poorly, but it gets under your skin when people point out that Dunn is playing well again. I am sure you enjoyed Dunn's horrible 2011, but now there are signs that Dunn has returned to his usual stellar performance. We will see where it goes from here. Could go either way. He is the front-runner for Comeback Player of the Year one month into the season. So he has that going for him, which is nice.

The folks that felt Dunn was a bad player had to wait a decade for him to finally put up a bad season. They kept telling us how bad Dunn was because of his low batting average and high strikeout totals, but Dunn just kept on hitting hundreds of home runs and leading the team in RBIs and Runs Scored. Finally he had a bad season in 2011 and everyone felt justified in saying "I told you so", even though it was years later after they "told us". Now he is back to being a very good hitter again, at least for now. Maybe he wasn't too lazy, fat and slow after all? People claimed he was too lazy and fat the whole time he played for the Reds and was one of the best hitters in the league. Then he had a terrible 2011 and people thought their opinion of him was finally vindicated.

No matter how good or bad Dunn plays from here on out it won't change the fact that Dunn was an excellent hitter for the Reds for many years.

Some people hope he does well. Other people want him to fail. I don't remember any other Reds player whom so many Reds fans wished would play poorly. Fans usually want all Reds players to succeed, but a lot of fans wanted Dunn to fail just so they could justify their hatred of him. I've never seen anything like it.

A lot of assumptions here. I'm a pretty direct guy. Just look at the title and you'll see why I started the thread. The purpose was to see if people thought he'd rebound from his horrible season and I think that is a great baseball question. It said nothing about his time as a Red.

As to his clutchness, I wasn't making any broad statements, only that he wasn't clutch that night. But even if I was, what good does it do to point out one exception along with a bunch of :laugh: 's? What good does the post that follows it serve? One game doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he failed in the instance I originally mentioned.

Razor Shines
05-07-2012, 11:52 AM
A lot of assumptions here. I'm a pretty direct guy. Just look at the title and you'll see why I started the thread. The purpose was to see if people thought he'd rebound from his horrible season and I think that is a great baseball question. It said nothing about his time as a Red.

As to his clutchness, I wasn't making any broad statements, only that he wasn't clutch that night. But even if I was, what good does it do to point out one exception along with a bunch of :laugh: 's? What good does the post that follows it serve? One game doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he failed in the instance I originally mentioned.

I wasn't pointing out one exception, I was pointing out something that he has done throughout his entire career. And let's be clear you weren't just commenting on that one instance. You added "of course" and I think we all knew what you were inferring by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea Ray
05-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I wasn't pointing out one exception, I was pointing out something that he has done throughout his entire career. And let's be clear you weren't just commenting on that one instance. You added "of course" and I think we all knew what you were inferring by that.

The only thing you wrote in that post was :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

What was purpose did that serve?

Johnny Footstool
05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
I think this thread has run its course.