PDA

View Full Version : Scott Kazmir

Benihana
06-15-2011, 11:32 AM
It appears the one-time darling of RedsZone will be released by the Angels, who will eat almost $10MM. He's still 27 and while he may be washed up, I'd take a flier. Could be another Dontrelle Willis...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/06/scott-kazmir-likely-to-be-released.html

Who knows, in a perfect world he could even help this year

Homer Bailey
06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Doesn't miss bats anymore, and walks a ton of guys. Fastball velocity is way down. Hasn't been good in a long time, and has been absolutely awful this year. I'll pass.

Benihana
06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Doesn't miss bats anymore, and walks a ton of guys. Fastball velocity is way down. Hasn't been good in a long time, and has been absolutely awful this year. I'll pass.

Couldn't the same be said for Willis?

bucksfan2
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Couldn't the same be said for Willis?

What exactly has Willis done?

TRF
06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Willis velo isn't down. I think he needs glasses, cuz finding the plate seems to be the problem.

Kazmir smells like Steve Avery to me.

westofyou
06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
http://americaexplained.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/fork-small.jpg

Cooper
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
I suspect that Willis had issues that were related to his body not being able to handle that windup of his. IIRC, he had knee issues -his windup has a ton of torque (cool word) and he was not able to put it all together because of the leg. Willis windup requires a strong foundation- he didn't have that and everything went to heck. I'm guessing his arm was fine.

Benihana
06-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Nothing yet of course, but probably offers the best hope to supplement the rotation when Volquez et al implode

Worst case he (Willis, but potentially Kazmir too) could sub for Chapman as an effective lefty reliever out of the pen

Benihana
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I wonder if another short pitcher RZ longed for in the draft but didn't get might eventually suffer the same fate (huge success early, premature flameout)?

He's certainly had a rocky road in his last couple starts...

edabbs44
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Captured the imaginations of some on here.

Brutus
06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I wonder if another short pitcher RZ longed for in the draft but didn't get might eventually suffer the same fate (huge success early, premature flameout)?

He's certainly had a rocky road in his last couple starts...

He started the first half of the year kind of slow last year too, then the second half of the year pretty much dominated after everything thought he was finished.

I think that specific tiny pitcher is simply going through another rough patch. But I don't necessarily think the premature flameout, at some point in a few years, is out of the question.

RedLegSuperStar
06-15-2011, 02:54 PM
http://americaexplained.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/fork-small.jpg

HAHAHAH! Good One..

Although if it is for the league minimum I would take a gamble. He has got to still be arbitration eligable so the team will have him beyond this season. I bet you the farm that the Pirates will be all over this. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him or not.. but I wouldn't want him to come to our division.. especially to the Cards and let Dave "I want some of CoCo Cordero" Duncan get a hold of him. Perfect experiment for Price IMO

blumj
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
HAHAHAH! Good One..

Although if it is for the league minimum I would take a gamble. He has got to still be arbitration eligable so the team will have him beyond this season. I bet you the farm that the Pirates will be all over this. I wouldn't be mad if we picked him or not.. but I wouldn't want him to come to our division.. especially to the Cards and let Dave "I want some of CoCo Cordero" Duncan get a hold of him. Perfect experiment for Price IMO

He already has more than 6 years of service time.

lollipopcurve
06-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Worth a shot. Minor league deal and run a full battery of tests on his arm. If there's something to fix, it could give him a chance at regaining his arm strength and confidence.

Johnny Footstool
06-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Maybe Gully can fix him.

wolfboy
06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe Gully can fix him.

Sometimes I really wish we had a facebook-esque "Like" button on here. I guess we had the points system back in the day.

Anyway, a Kazmir related article from FanGraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-demise-of-scott-kazmir/

Boss-Hog
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Sometimes I really wish we had a facebook-esque "Like" button on here. I guess we had the points system back in the day.

I believe that option (or something very similar) is available, but when I took a very informal poll a long time back, the majority that weighed in didn't want it.

wolfboy
06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I believe that option (or something very similar) is available, but when I took a very informal poll a long time back, the majority that weighed in didn't want it.

Gotcha. I must have missed that thread. It's wasn't a serious request. Sometimes I don't have much to add to the conversation but I'd like to give that little click of approval.