PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully - sublime

backbencher
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Vin Scully has to be as good at his craft as any American ever has been at his or her chosen profession. What an absolute master.

westofyou
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
The other evening he referenced Alice in Chains.

Cracked me up

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm still gonna take Ernie Harwell as my favorite voice of baseball...

westofyou
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm still gonna take Ernie Harwell as my favorite voice of baseball...

Hands down, the voice of my childhood

lollipopcurve
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Harwell and Scully -- true baseball greats. Telling it like it is is telling what happens.

NJReds
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I posted this in the gamethread this a.m.

Didn't get to post last night, but I watched a few innings on MLB Network before falling asleep. It's a joy listening to Vin Scully. It seems like he knows more about each Red than even the Reds broadcasters. He spins baseball stories with ease while balancing the action in the game. Just amazing.

mbgrayson
06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
And he goes back with the Dodgers to when they were still in Brooklyn! Sixty years with one team. Amazing.

cumberlandreds
06-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Harwell and Scully -- true baseball greats. Telling it like it is is telling what happens.

You couldn't go wrong with either of these two. I didn't get to listen to Harwell very much. Only when WJR would come in clearly on summer nights back in my youth. Which didn't happen too often. I have had the chance to listen to Scully a lot since I now can get the MLBEI package. He's a true treasure to listen to. He tells great stories to go along with the game. The stories he tells fits the game and seems to never to try to squeeze a story just for the sake of telling it either. He came close to retiring after last season. So this one may be it for him. Watch and listen to him every chance you get because no one will come this way again that will be quite like him.

06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I posted this in the gamethread this a.m.

Vin has always been one of the top researchers among announcers. It's something he loves to do and takes great pride in. I would imagine he uses his staff for some of it these days.

One of the great pleasures of watching a Dodger game in LA on TV is that in-between the 5th and 6th inning, Vin always spins some tale of lore from Dodger history.

pedro
06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I love that he never talks about ANYTHING but the game. I am not tuning in to hear about the announcers tomato plants, cronies, or golf game.

Will M
06-15-2011, 04:38 PM
I quite enjoyed how he not only talked about BASEBALL during the game but actually was informative & knowledgable.

Reds Freak
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
I love that he never talks about ANYTHING but the game. I am not tuning in to hear about the announcers tomato plants, cronies, or golf game.

It's interesting that some folks have their fondest memories of Marty and Joe talking about tomato plants, Elvis, etc. Just a different style I suppose, I love them both...

westofyou
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
It's interesting that some folks have their fondest memories of Marty and Joe talking about tomato plants, Elvis, etc. Just a different style I suppose, I love them both...

My fondest memories involve Marty making the calls with Joe screaming in the background.

I could care less about the rest of the stuff 90% of the time.

signalhome
06-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Amen, I'm right there with you. That's my biggest problem with games called by Thom and Brantley -- their discussions are 70% baseball, 30% Cowboy's eating habits.

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still.

hebroncougar
06-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Funny, I was in the car when today's game started. I used to LOVE Marty and Joe. Heck, I even named my son after Joe. Marty has REALLY gotten negative. It's really telling. I had a hard time listening to him on my way in. I'll turn the Dodgers on at night, just to listen to Scully.

KronoRed
06-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Exactly, he does it the way a real baseball booth guy should.

RichRed
06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
In addition to his voice and knowledge, a big part of Scully's appeal is that he seems like a true gentleman - a rare commodity these days.

fearofpopvol1
06-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Scully on again now on the MLB package. It is bliss. Definitely my favorite by a landslide. Will be a sad day when he retires.

Chip R
06-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Amen, I'm right there with you. That's my biggest problem with games called by Thom and Brantley -- their discussions are 70% baseball, 30% Cowboy's eating habits.

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still.

Definitely an exaggeration. More like 30% baseball 70% what Brantley eats.

RedsManRick
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
What I love is that he doesn't talk about stuff outside of the game. It's either description of what's happening or it's tidbits of information about the team or players involved. No "what I had for dinner last night" or "what I think about social media". It really lets you focus on the game and feel transported. Most other broadcasters have taken a conversational approach instead of a story-telling one.

Big Klu
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think Scully has really slipped in recent years. I remember him when he used to do NBC's Game Of The Week in the 80's, and I always thought he did a great job. So I really looked forward to the free Extra Innings package a couple of years ago so I could hear him again. His voice was still excellent, but in the games I watched his playcalling was inconsistent, and he made several errors and incorrect statements. I thought maybe I just saw a couple of bad games, but last year when I watched the Dodgers on Extra Innings, I witnessed the same thing. I was saddened and disappointed by this. I wonder if the fact that he works alone has anything to do with this.

Always Red
06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
MY idea of heaven includes Marty and Joe on the radio, the Reds winning, and me sipping a cold brew in the backyard with a warm summer breeze evaporating any and all sweat.

But Vin Scully is/was the very best there has ever been at his craft.

Red in Chicago
06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think Scully has really slipped in recent years. I remember him when he used to do NBC's Game Of The Week in the 80's, and I always thought he did a great job. So I really looked forward to the free Extra Innings package a couple of years ago so I could hear him again. His voice was still excellent, but in the games I watched his playcalling was inconsistent, and he made several errors and incorrect statements. I thought maybe I just saw a couple of bad games, but last year when I watched the Dodgers on Extra Innings, I witnessed the same thing. I was saddened and disappointed by this. I wonder if the fact that he works alone has anything to do with this.

You're not a wet blanket...dude is done...time for him to move on...

RedsManRick
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM

I think the style is still there; the execution is lacking. Just like with Joe towards the end, the mistakes are increasingly frequent. But man, the style.

nate
06-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Vin is still awesome. I heard more details about Reds players in the past three days than I've heard in an entire season of the Reds broadcasting hydra.

pedro
06-15-2011, 10:20 PM

wow.

I couldn't disagree more.

he isn't what he used to be but Vin at half speed is better than most at full...

westofyou
06-15-2011, 10:22 PM

He's not Sinatra in 1948, he's Sinatra in 1988, but he's still Sinatra.

Joseph
06-15-2011, 11:20 PM
I will always love Vin Scully and I wish he'd never leave. He's baseball in my youth!

Sea Ray
06-15-2011, 11:26 PM
One of the great pleasures of watching a Dodger game in LA on TV is that in-between the 5th and 6th inning, Vin always spins some tale of lore from Dodger history.

I always make it a point to at least catch his spiel at the top of the 6th. I'm ticked if I tune in too late.

I often wonder how he gets the stories he does. I'm guessing he must have a way of sitting down with these guys and getting them to open up about themselves. I'm not so sure researchers can do that sort of stuff for him or any other announcer for that matter.

I sure hope his wife lets him do another year and I'm envious of all of you that got to listen to him do Reds games. Obviously us Cincinnati locals are out of luck there

WVRedsFan
06-16-2011, 02:13 AM
He's not Sinatra in 1948, he's Sinatra in 1988, but he's still Sinatra.Word.

I was in LA a few years ago and I can't even remember who the Dodgers were playing, but I watched every game to hear Scully. When I got MLB Extra Innings when DirecTV first offered it, I found myself staying up late to hear Vin do the Dodger games. Why? Because he makes it interesting. And he does it alone. No former player sidekick who can tell stories about the good old days. Just him with his great research and knowledge. No "O-Jonny" bullcrap. No blatant homerisms, just baseball. When he retires or passes away, the game will be poorer. You know, I hate, no despise the Dodgers, but I'll watch to hear Vin. I'm a sick man.

On the radio, when Joe and Marty teamed up, there was nothing I'd rather do than listen to the Reds. I listened to Harwell and the guy in Houston, Harry Carey (when he was with the Cardinals)--all the greats, but none was better than Marty and Joe together. Radio is different. You can't actually see the game, so you have to depend on the PBP guys to describe it for you. Joe was boring and Marty was very good. I think Marty stilll does a good job if you can get by the stuff the production staff puts in to entertain. Yes, he got negative, but I've noticed he's better these days, especially after last year's division winning year.

When I was a kid, the Reds had Waite Hoyt, and he was a master of the story, but things were different back then. Baseball was all important and entertainment on the radio wasn't a priority. Jack Fleming, the voice of the West Virginia Mountaineers was tops in my book then. Jack could make you feel like you were there. He would describe the uniforms, the wind, heck, even the look of the stadium and make you feel like you were there. He used to do Chicago Bulls games and Pittsburgh Steeler games, and I'd try to find an AM station to hear his broadcasts despite the fact that I had no interest in the Bulls (then) and hated, I mean despised the Steelers (I still do). That's the measure of a good broadcaster. Vin has it. Marty and Joe had it, and so did Jack Fleming. I can't name another I'd add to that list unfortunately.

Ron Madden
06-16-2011, 05:49 AM

Yep, Marty used to be great, he's still damn good at calling a game winning hit.... but Vin Scully and Ernie Harwell have always been in a League Of Their Own, the Best of the Best.

cumberlandreds
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
I watched the Scully broadcast of yesterdays game. I learned more about the Reds players in one game than I had all season watching Thom and whoever his sidekick is that day.
I should have written down what I heard but a couple of things were that Rolen was a great high school singles tennis player. He was 26-0. He was also recruited by Bobby Knight to go to Indiana for basketball. Rolen was smart enough to say no to that one.
Edgar Renteria comes from a family that included 8 living children. He also had six siblings to die as infants. That's 14 total children for his parents. Wow!
No that's not important stuff but things that make an interesting conversation. Not always talking about how many ribs you ate and tubs of ice cream you devoured one afternoon. That gets old and repetitive.
Scully may have lost a little off his fastball but he is still better than the vast majority of announcers today. I'll take him over Thom and his foolery everyday.

RichRed
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
I watched the Scully broadcast of yesterdays game. I learned more about the Reds players in one game than I had all season watching Thom and whoever his sidekick is that day.
I should have written down what I heard but a couple of things were that Rolen was a great high school singles tennis player. He was 26-0. He was also recruited by Bobby Knight to go to Indiana for basketball. Rolen was smart enough to say no to that one.
Edgar Renteria comes from a family that included 8 living children. He also had six siblings to die as infants. That's 14 total children for his parents. Wow!
No that's not important stuff but things that make an interesting conversation. Not always talking about how many ribs you ate and tubs of ice cream you devoured one afternoon. That gets old and repetitive.
Scully may have lost a little off his fastball but he is still better than the vast majority of announcers today. I'll take him over Thom and his foolery everyday.

There were several moments listening to Vin when he would mention a little tidbit about a Reds player and I would say to myself, "How come I never heard about that before?"

reds44
06-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Let me start out by saying I love Scully, everytime we play in LA I watch the LA feed, but you do realize all he is doing is reading the media guide, right?

westofyou
06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Let me start out by saying I love Scully, everytime we play in LA I watch the LA feed, but you do realize all he is doing is reading the media guide, right?

Actually someone compiles notes for him, by the end of the series, he's repeated most of the info 2-3 times, I'm sure the notes though come from the media guide as well.

MrCinatit
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Back in the day, when he was paired with Joe Garagiola on the NBC game of the week - I actually did not like him that much. I was young. I was stupid. And it seemed like they showed the Cubs or Yankees every bloody week. So I became annoyed with the announcers, not the teams.
Of course, my opinion of both has changed quite a bit since then. I wish I could get a time machine and watch those games again, just to hear those two and to hear Vin again in his prime. I wish MLB network would show some classic games from the period - especially the World Series during the era, so I could hear his calls. Who does not get goosebumps when they hear the classic "And look who's coming up...talk about a roll of the dice...".
Perhaps he has lost it a little bit. But the man can weave a story like few others.

cumberlandreds
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM

If that is what he does, he does it better than anyone else. I would much rather hear what's in a media guide rather than what someone is eating or someone ranting on endlessly about something, that in the end, doesn't matter to the game.

SunDeck
06-16-2011, 04:47 PM
The other evening he referenced Alice in Chains.

Cracked me up

He may wonder just who Allison Chains is, but at least he used the reference.

Big Klu
06-16-2011, 06:08 PM
He may wonder just who Allison Chains is, but at least he used the reference.

If he decides to look up "Allison Chains", he may get a shock. I just did! :eek:

Ron Madden
06-17-2011, 04:58 AM
If that is what he does, he does it better than anyone else. I would much rather hear what's in a media guide rather than what someone is eating or someone ranting on endlessly about something, that in the end, doesn't matter to the game.

I'm with you. :thumbup:

Ron Madden
06-17-2011, 05:37 AM
If you're a Baseball Fan ya gotta listen to this ten minute clip from utube as Vin Scully calls the last three outs of Sandy Koufax's perfect game Sept. 9Th 1965.

Listen to the detail Scully puts into the PBP as he paints the picture for us.

YouTube - ‪Vin Scully calls Koufax perfect game‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJdli-ONL-8)

cumberlandreds
06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Back in the day, when he was paired with Joe Garagiola on the NBC game of the week - I actually did not like him that much. I was young. I was stupid. And it seemed like they showed the Cubs or Yankees every bloody week. So I became annoyed with the announcers, not the teams.
Of course, my opinion of both has changed quite a bit since then. I wish I could get a time machine and watch those games again, just to hear those two and to hear Vin again in his prime. I wish MLB network would show some classic games from the period - especially the World Series during the era, so I could hear his calls. Who does not get goosebumps when they hear the classic "And look who's coming up...talk about a roll of the dice...".
Perhaps he has lost it a little bit. But the man can weave a story like few others.

I have a few of those World Series games on VHS tape. I know I have the Buckner game and Gibson's walk off homer game. I need to figure out a way to transfer them to DVD so they will last longer. VHS tapes will detoriate over time.

Sea Ray
06-17-2011, 02:26 PM
If you're a Baseball Fan ya gotta listen to this ten minute clip from utube as Vin Scully calls the last three outs of Sandy Koufax's perfect game Sept. 9Th 1965.

Very interesting. A few things I took from that...

-Interesting how many future managers were directly involved in that last inning. I counted three. Amalfitano, Torborg and Kuenn

-He never once mentioned a pitch count as in how many pitches Koufax had thrown

-Who would have thought that Koufax at that time was only one year away from retirement?

cincinnati chili
06-18-2011, 02:46 AM
He's not Sinatra in 1948, he's Sinatra in 1988, but he's still Sinatra.

The last 15-20 years of Harry Caray's career was like Sinatra in hospice care.

Tony Cloninger
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
The last 15-20 years of Harry Caray's career was like Sinatra in hospice care.

Kind of like the Will Ferrell take on Harry Carey?

Tony Cloninger
06-18-2011, 10:36 AM

He could make a reading of the Yellow Pages sound exciting.

Always Red
06-18-2011, 10:48 AM

I never realized that, and since it's the case, why haven't we heard any of this info- do Reds announcers not read the media guide? :D

SunDeck
06-18-2011, 11:15 AM
If he decides to look up "Allison Chains", he may get a shock. I just did! :eek:

Oops, I did not know that. :eek:

westofyou
06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I never realized that, and since it's the case, why haven't we heard any of this info- do Reds announcers not read the media guide? :D

Just the ads for UDF

VR
06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
"29,000 in the ballpark, and a million butterflies"
"The mound at Dodger stadium is the loneliest place in the world right now"

I'm not sure you could have a team of writers put together a better script than Scully called live that night.

Most of the US wouldn't read about this performance until October 1st. My how times have changed.

MrCinatit
06-26-2011, 08:02 PM
(Sorry to bump an old thread, but...)
Twice today, not once, but twice I've heard Vin openly question umpire calls in today's game. Yet, he does it with such class and dignity (and, he is Vin), it does not sound crass nor mean...it basically sounds like he is saying "Ah, sorry old man, but you blew it". (FYI, on one of those plays, it looks like the ump got it right...and, and Vin did point out, we have the ability to see this with ultra-slo-mo, while the ump is making a spur-of-the-moment call.
And reading it off a media guide or not, he pulls it together so quickly and perfectly with the action on the field, it becomes a thing of beauty.

RBA
06-27-2011, 12:16 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/let_vin_do_last_series_dbXiPZkR1fcjiQXIxepT0M

RBA
06-27-2011, 12:20 AM
http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/vin-scully-jokes-about-jack-mckeons-lack-of-twitter-knowledge-video/73768

Chip R
08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Vin is coming back in 2012

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6900592/love-people-brings-vin-scully-back-los-angeles-dodgers

Crosley68
08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Vin is coming back in 2012

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6900592/love-people-brings-vin-scully-back-los-angeles-dodgers

:thumbup: He just plain 0l' makes baseball better.

Phhhl
08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I love it when the Dodgers are home on a Friday night. It really tops off the MLB network. The Reds game is over, and I can tune in to Skully and have bright sunshine and Vin Skully at 10:30pm. I am glad he just signed a new deal. Too soon he is not going to be on the air anymore.

Wheelhouse
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Vin Scully has to be as good at his craft as any American ever has been at his or her chosen profession. What an absolute master.

For me, Vin Scully has a great voice... and that's it. Otherwise he just reads from the team's press handbook (which has lots of lovely little snippets about the players, like if one likes "Alice in Chains.") He doesn't have a partner which makes for agonizingly boring broadcasts that are kind of depressing, IMO.

Tony Cloninger
08-28-2011, 05:12 PM
For me, Vin Scully has a great voice... and that's it. Otherwise he just reads from the team's press handbook (which has lots of lovely little snippets about the players, like if one likes "Alice in Chains.") He doesn't have a partner which makes for agonizingly boring broadcasts that are kind of depressing, IMO.

I think Scully can offer more knowledge than that.....being around since 1950 and all. Many times he talks about things that are not on the yearbook. Boring and depressing? :confused:

Superdude
08-28-2011, 05:21 PM

I don't get it either. Listened to one of his games on XM, and the little snippets on every single player just got tiring after a while. I'll take Marty's occasional bitterness everyday of the week

RANDY IN INDY
08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
He broadcasts for the Dodgers. For a kid who grew up in the late 60's and early 70's, that was enough to make me not like Scully. Didn't like him on the NBC game of the week. Not my cup of tea. Glad a lot of you can gush over him. Still a Dodger in my book. Yeah, it might be crazy but I can't get over it.:)

BCubb2003
08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I think it's that he's the dean of the gentleman broadcasters: Literate, can call a game on the fly more gracefully than most sportswriters could write it, and he'd rather tell you about the players than his golf game.

Jon Miller does a wicked parody of him, though.

Ron Madden
08-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Vin Scully calls Koufax perfect game - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJdli-ONL-8)

I can't understand how any fan can listen to Scully call the the last 3 outs of this game and say Vin Scully is boring.

Ron Madden
08-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Nice article about Vin Sully from mlb.com.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110827&content_id=23801908&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

cumberlandreds
08-29-2011, 08:34 AM
I saw this over the weekend and it made me very happy he was coming back. I really thought he would retire because of all of the Dodgers ownership problems.

RBA
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Actually Vin Scully gets out and meets the players and gets a lot of his stories first hand from the players themselves. He's been doing it for over 50 years. I don't know where you get your information that he just skims the press handbook.

Wheelhouse
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Actually Vin Scully gets out and meets the players and gets a lot of his stories first hand from the players themselves. He's been doing it for over 50 years. I don't know where you get your information that he just skims the press handbook.

That may very well be true. Plus, I hear he is a wonderful guy--very cordial to fans. However, I've had the press book in hand while listening to games he's announced, and his calls are basically play-by-play that is quite good (but not nearly the electric calls of Marty, for instance) and a patchwork of the press book. He's a fine announcer, and has a buttery voice, but I wouldn't put him in the stratosphere that you have. Particularly since I feel there is a ceiling to how exciting his calls can be since he has no partner. If anything, baseball should be shared--the feeling I get listening to Scully is one of loneliness. I bet he would be fun to go to dinner with him though!