PDA

View Full Version : Erik Bedard

SqueezeplayJS
06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey everyone. First I would like to just say hello. I have been reading the forums since they were created and began following forums before that (I believe it was cincinnatienquirer.com maybe?). I have never posted though I just enjoyed reading others insights.

Now onto business. Whats everyones thoughts on aquiring Erik Bedard? He has pitched well this year. His salary is not a problem and will be a FA after this year. If a true ace is not available could he be a better option right now then what we have? It might not cost and awful lot to get either. Definintely wouldn't cost us Votto this time around:D. Thoughts?

CySeymour
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
He would be an interesting player to look at. But with Seattle only like 1 game out in the West, they won't be looking to unload players for a while.

izzy's dad
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Does he project as a type-A free agent? If we were to trade for Bedard would we sign him in the offseason? What would it take to get him? Who would be sent to the pen or Louisville to make room? All of these questions factor in to my opinion. If the price is Leake or Wood then I say no way. If we could get him for a fringe prospect or two then I might be on board. I would be OK with renting a guy like Bedard, if he continues to pitch well and we lose him in the offseason we get draft picks in return. I have no idea if this guy is more of a flyball or groundball pitcher. I haven't seen the guy pitch yet this year, so all I have to go on is stats. If he can help our club, and doesn't cost much more than a cheese sandwich I say yes.

brm7675
06-16-2011, 11:06 AM
You have to ask yourself this simple question. Whom on our staff is he better then?

Would he replace Cueto?
Would he replace Bronson
Would he replace Wood
Would he replace Leake
Would he replace EV
Would he replace Homer?

I don't see him being any better then any of those guys, so I see no reason in adding him.

SqueezeplayJS
06-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Cueto? No.
Bronson? No.
Homer? No, but has had injury problems.
Wood? Love the guy but has been known to be inconsistant at times this year
Leake? Has pitched great but hopefully doesn't repeat last years second half.
EV? We know the story on him.

Pitching has been good the past few weeks but still has question marks. I've seen names like Felix and Weaver thrown around the board sparingly but perhaps a more realistic name would be Bedard, a cheap rental player. Cost of talent? No idea and hard to say where Seattle will be in the standings in a month. Just throwing the idea out there and seeing thoughts as many was on board in acquiring him a few years back.