PDA

View Full Version : 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

Homer Bailey
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't know why, but I'm not sure I've ever been so excited for a major. I'm a Tiger fan, but not having him in this tournament is a plus for me, as his game and health just isn't where it needs to be, and if he was there, I think he would be a bit of a distraction from what we're going to see.

I've followed the PGA Tour closer this year than any other year, and its got to be because of all the young players that I really enjoy following. To name a few, Dustin Johnson (my favorite), Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, Nick Watney, etc.

My 3 picks to win this week are DJ, Bubba, and Adam Scott.

Also, a friend of mine from high school, Chris Wilson from Dublin, OH, is playing this week. he is in the last 3-some today.

I'm watching live right now on www.usopen.com. Will not be getting much work done today.

bigredmechanism
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see Dustin win it, also. Never seen a guy hit a 3 iron 280 yds (and straight) at standard altitude. McIlroy I like too. Golf has gotten some exciting new players as Tiger, Phil, Ernie, etc. have aged.

Although it would be cool if Mickelson could pull another one off for good measure.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Luke Donald just turned in 40 after starting birdie birdie. I've never seen him hit the ball so bad.

bucksfan2
06-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Luke Donald just turned in 40 after starting birdie birdie. I've never seen him hit the ball so bad.

Good thing I saw that, he would have been my pick to win.

I would like to see any of the young American players win. Johnson, Bubba, Fowler. It also would be a fun weekend to watch a unheralded qualifier make a run. My buddy was asking me who was the last guy to win who had to qualify for the open. I couldn't think of anyone.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2011, 11:22 AM
2nd feature group is Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, and Rory McIlroy.

Dear employer, I am sorry.

Hoosier Red
06-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Good thing I saw that, he would have been my pick to win.

I would like to see any of the young American players win. Johnson, Bubba, Fowler. It also would be a fun weekend to watch a unheralded qualifier make a run. My buddy was asking me who was the last guy to win who had to qualify for the open. I couldn't think of anyone.

Actually Lucas Glover won it after having to qualify a few years ago, but he wasn't exactly an unknown amateur.

That's one of the things I really like is that the standards are pretty high so even a number of tour veterans have to get through a qualifier.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Dustin Johnson is 4 over through 4 holes.

Y.E. Yang is the leader at -3. He's done for the day.

bucksfan2
06-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Actually Lucas Glover won it after having to qualify a few years ago, but he wasn't exactly an unknown amateur.

That's one of the things I really like is that the standards are pretty high so even a number of tour veterans have to get through a qualifier.

Their qualification standards are pretty tough. Glover wasn't an unknown but he was hardly a household name. I don't remember but Rocco may have been a qualifier when he went toe to toe with Tiger a few years back.

The biggest long shot I can remember had to be Steve Jones.

Hoosier Red
06-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Their qualification standards are pretty tough. Glover wasn't an unknown but he was hardly a household name. I don't remember but Rocco may have been a qualifier when he went toe to toe with Tiger a few years back.

The biggest long shot I can remember had to be Steve Jones.

He was. The other cool thing about the qualifiers is that once the rounds are complete, to break ties they send everyone out on the same hole. So if 9 guys are playing for the final spot, there are 9 guys playing the hole at the same time.

I seem to remember him telling the story of everyone teeing off, and him saying, "Cmon children!" jokingly as he led the 7 or 8 guys off the tee.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Rory makes the turn at -3. He played the harder 9 first.

MWM
06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm puling for Rory. I think he may pull it off this time.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Rory shoots a 65. I'm calling it. He wins by a minimum of 8. I watched every shot he hit today, and he was absolutely sick. Every ball but one went pretty much right where he wanted it. It could have easily been a 63.

My boy Chris Wilson shot a 74. Not bad. I'd say he needs a 73 or 72 tomorrow to make the cut.

paintmered
06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
65 at the U.S. Open, even on Thursday, is not supposed to happen. He hit 17 greens today. 17!

Rory has the game to be the future world's No 1, no doubt. That much was clear even before he hit a single shot at Augusta this spring. I want to see how he plays over the weekend when the pressure can get to him. If he's matured and learned to managed his expectations over the last few months, it's only a matter of time before we pass the torch. Perhaps it's this weekend?

bucksfan2
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Rory shoots a 65. I'm calling it. He wins by a minimum of 8. I watched every shot he hit today, and he was absolutely sick. Every ball but one went pretty much right where he wanted it. It could have easily been a 63.

My boy Chris Wilson shot a 74. Not bad. I'd say he needs a 73 or 72 tomorrow to make the cut.

Remember Dustin Johnson at Pebble? It was one shot that did him in. One shot that came up short and created a disaster. The Open can punish you dearly for one bad shot or one unlucky bounce. You need to make sure that one poor shot leads to no worse than a bogey, double depending on how bad the break is. In the Open one bad shot often leads to a 7 or 8 or even worse. You avoid those big numbers, you avoid the doubles and you have a very good shot at winning.

Homer Bailey
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Remember Dustin Johnson at Pebble? It was one shot that did him in. One shot that came up short and created a disaster. The Open can punish you dearly for one bad shot or one unlucky bounce. You need to make sure that one poor shot leads to no worse than a bogey, double depending on how bad the break is. In the Open one bad shot often leads to a 7 or 8 or even worse. You avoid those big numbers, you avoid the doubles and you have a very good shot at winning.

I remember it all too well. I was there.

Rory is -4 through 8 holes, just made an eagle 2 at #8, and has a 7 shot lead. First ever to reach -10 in the 2nd round of an open, and he did it in 26 holes. I may have undersold him saying he would win by 8.

Chip R
06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I remember it all too well. I was there.

Rory is -4 through 8 holes, just made an eagle 2 at #8, and has a 7 shot lead. First ever to reach -10 in the 2nd round of an open, and he did it in 26 holes. I may have undersold him saying he would win by 8.

Yikes. The rate he's going he may break Tiger's Open record.

Homer Bailey
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Rory McIlroy is a bigger threat to Nicklaus's major record than Tiger Woods is.

I just said that.

NJReds
06-17-2011, 11:04 AM

I just said that.

As long as he can seal the deal on Sunday. I hope the Masters was the exception for him. The psychology of winning, particularly in golf, can be a slippery slope. But right now he looks like the real deal for a long, long time to come.

But this does really put a stamp on what Nicklaus accomplished. It's an amazing mark that he set.

Chip R
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM

I just said that.

He's gotta win one before even thinking about that.

Homer Bailey
06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Birdie at 14. -11 for the tournament, and an 8 shot lead.

Chip R
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Birdie at 14. -11 for the tournament, and an 8 shot lead.

With the lack of Tiger this year and McIlroy seemingly running away from the field, NBC (is it NBC?) has to be praying either he collapses or someone makes a run at him. The casual fan is not going to watch McIlroy run away with this.

Homer Bailey
06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
With the lack of Tiger this year and McIlroy seemingly running away from the field, NBC (is it NBC?) has to be praying either he collapses or someone makes a run at him. The casual fan is not going to watch McIlroy run away with this.

I disagree. His collapse at Augusta, and the way he handles it has added to Rory's "star power" if you will, and we're watching the birth of a super star. The fact that he's not American will hurt a bit, but we're witnessing history. Golfer's just don't do this at this age, unless your name is Tiger.

Homer Bailey
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
-13 with one hole remaining. 10 shot lead. First player to ever reach -13 in a US Open, and Tiger's 15 shot victory record is in jeopardy.

Chip R
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I disagree. His collapse at Augusta, and the way he handles it has added to Rory's "star power" if you will, and we're watching the birth of a super star. The fact that he's not American will hurt a bit, but we're witnessing history. Golfer's just don't do this at this age, unless your name is Tiger.

I don't disagree but people are going to watch on Sunday for two reasons: 1. Tiger is playing and perhaps in contention. 2. Some kind of battle for the championship. You and I may watch McIlroy destroy the competition but Joe Schmoe is going to turn the channel.

paintmered
06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
What's the deal with Rick Reilly rooting for Rory to collapse?

SunDeck
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM
What's the deal with Rick Reilly rooting for Rory to collapse?

What's a little different here is that his typical hook miss showed up on the last hole of the second round. Reilly seems to think (hope maybe?) it will spook him, but I think that it's pretty fortunate for him to have had those two horrible shots at the end of Friday. He can analyze where he was going wrong, hit some balls on the range and work his way towards a solution, as opposed to facing things when the shots count. He has a pretty big cushion to work with and I'm hoping he gets right by today and continues to motor to a record round. When he's on, his swing is a joy to watch.

Redhook
06-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I like McIlroy a lot. I love his attitude, personality, and his golf game. I guess the only thing I don't like about him is his hair...lol.

He's far and away the most talented golfer in the world right now. He's that good. His swing is simply amazing. It's beautiful to watch and technically perfect. I'm infatuated with it. In all my years watching golf swings, his is the best I've seen and definitely my favorite. Every time I watch him hit a tee shot, I go wow.

I'm really pulling for him to win today and I hope it's a blowout. Golf needs a buzz and McIlroy can provide that.

As far as Jack's major record, McIlroy needs to win the first one before we can talk about 18. I don't think McIlroy will come close to Jack's record. I do see him being the #1 player in the world in the near future, but I'd be surprised if he reached double-digit majors for his career. What Jack and Tiger did was simply amazing. Tiger, IMO, has a much better chance at breaking Jack's record than McIlroy does. As we've seen with Tiger, a lot can happen over a player's career that can derail it. One of these days, McIlroy will struggle with something and will have some scar damage to deal with. It happens to every player. Right now, he's just a kid having fun playing golf, which is great. I hope he stays that way for a long time.

Good luck today Rory! I'll be watching.

SunDeck
06-19-2011, 02:30 PM
His swing was not very pretty on Sunday at the Masters. Even to my relatively untrained eye, it looked like a quick hack compared to his normal smooth swing. When he's on, he makes it look like anyone could do it, though. Towards the end of the round yesterday (17?) he knocked one 40 yards ahead of Yang. The swing was certainly hard, but seemed practically effortless.

MWM
06-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Redhook, the one thing I disagree with is that I do think he'll win double digit majors. I think the floodgates are wide open. It's sick to think about him in the last 4 majors. He could have won last year's British, darn near landed in the playoff at the PGA. Was 9 holes away from the Masters and now dominated the US Open. He just turned 22. I think he'll be one of the all time greats. He's THAT good.

Homer Bailey
06-20-2011, 01:08 AM

;)

Redhook
06-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Redhook, the one thing I disagree with is that I do think he'll win double digit majors. I think the floodgates are wide open. It's sick to think about him in the last 4 majors. He could have won last year's British, darn near landed in the playoff at the PGA. Was 9 holes away from the Masters and now dominated the US Open. He just turned 22. I think he'll be one of the all time greats. He's THAT good.

I agree the floodgates are open and he'll be one of the greats. He certainly has the talent to win 10+ majors and I hope he does it. I think he can, but I doubt he will. I'm simply basing this off the odds. Only 3 men in the history of golf have won 10+ majors. Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Tom Watson, and Gary Player didn't reach 10 majors. It's so difficult to win them. So many things can happen to derail a guy from getting there.

bucksfan2
06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
What in the world happened to the American Golfer? The guy to finish the best was a no name qualifier. For all the talk about the young guns, its been the young European guns who are destroying the competition.

Rory ran away with the tournament. But some of the scores below him were pretty damn impressive. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place scores would win most opens yet they lost by 10+ strokes.

You think the USGA is going to have a chip on their shoulder next year? I think the winner is lucky to break par next year.

SunDeck
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
What in the world happened to the American Golfer? The guy to finish the best was a no name qualifier.

With a Tiger Woods USA Kids Golf putter.

Chip R
06-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Ratings were down from last year.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/06/us-open-tv-ratings-down-from-last-year.html

MWM
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
ratings, schmatings..... who cares!!!!

Chip R
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
ratings, schmatings..... who cares!!!!

NBC, the USGA, the advertisers.

IslandRed
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
NBC, the USGA, the advertisers.

But unless the ratings decline to the point where golf isn't televised anymore... not our problem. :cool:

Chip R
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
But unless the ratings decline to the point where golf isn't televised anymore... not our problem. :cool:

Not our problem necessarily but as golf went through a boom era with Tiger at the top of his game, when he's gone, there's a huge difference. If ratings decline, advertisers pay less for commercials and networks pay less to the PGA for TV rights and the purses decrease. If purses decline, guys like McIlroy may decide to stay over in Europe instead of playing on the U.S. tour.

MWM
06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I always hear arguments about ratings, advertisers, networks, etc.... and none of that means anything to me. Golf has been around a long time and will continue to be even if ratings aren't as high as they once were. It doesn't add or detract from my enjoyment of the sport in the least. The difference is on the fringes and it just doesn't mean anything. Nothing is different as a fan of the sport with higher or lower ratings.

Roy Tucker
06-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I always hear arguments about ratings, advertisers, networks, etc.... and none of that means anything to me. Golf has been around a long time and will continue to be even if ratings aren't as high as they once were. It doesn't add or detract from my enjoyment of the sport in the least. The difference is on the fringes and it just doesn't mean anything. Nothing is different as a fan of the sport with higher or lower ratings.

Back in the day when NBA ratings stunk, they had the NBA playoffs on tape delay at 11:30 PM instead of live. Which bit the big one.

So if ratings get bad enough, they can affect the TV fan experience.

RFS62
06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
The legacy of the Tiger era (can't believe I'm talking about it as past tense) is that he brought a lot of people into the game as participants, as well as fans. I don't think anyone other than Arnold Palmer in the '60's did more for golf than Tiger in that regard.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Tiger now reminds me of Ali, a flawed hero (in the public eye) who now plays the role of David vs. Goliath, the exact opposite of what we have come to know. He went from the "Chosen One" to Rocky, in one fell swoop of public humiliation and physical injury.

Superman needs his Kryptonite in order to be relevant.

He's infinitely more interesting to me now than he was before. I miss seeing him play at the peak of his legendary physical prowess, but I can't wait to see if he can re-invent himself yet again and make it back to the top.

Redhook
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM

I'm curious, what do you and Homer Bailey think about Rory after the last two majors? Do you still think double-digits and passing Jack. My opinion remains the same. He'll be #1 in the near future, next year, and will win about 6 majors.

Homer Bailey
08-17-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm curious, what do you and Homer Bailey think about Rory after the last two majors? Do you still think double-digits and passing Jack. My opinion remains the same. He'll be #1 in the near future, next year, and will win about 6 majors.

For the record, I didn't say that I think he'll pass Jack. I said that he has a better chance of doing it than Tiger Woods does.

That being said, I may have gotten a little too excited back in June with the statements I made. I do think he will be the number 1 player in the world for a while, and I don't put too much stock into the last two majors. I think he got pretty unlucky with the weather at the British (on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember), and obviously the wrist was an issue at the PGA.

That being said, I think the talent pool is wayyyyy deeper in this day and age than when Tiger was winning majors left and right, and I think it will be very difficult for Rory to replicate what Tiger did. The reason I was/am so confident in Rory is not just his win at Congressional, but the fact that he competed significantly for the win in the previous three majors as well. That kind of consistency is bound to lead to more major wins.

bucksfan2
08-17-2011, 11:04 AM
For the record, I didn't say that I think he'll pass Jack. I said that he has a better chance of doing it than Tiger Woods does.

That being said, I may have gotten a little too excited back in June with the statements I made. I do think he will be the number 1 player in the world for a while, and I don't put too much stock into the last two majors. I think he got pretty unlucky with the weather at the British (on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember), and obviously the wrist was an issue at the PGA.

That being said, I think the talent pool is wayyyyy deeper in this day and age than when Tiger was winning majors left and right, and I think it will be very difficult for Rory to replicate what Tiger did. The reason I was/am so confident in Rory is not just his win at Congressional, but the fact that he competed significantly for the win in the previous three majors as well. That kind of consistency is bound to lead to more major wins.

I tend to disagree that the talent pool is wayyyyy deeper now than when Tiger won all his majors. I think it is deeper but not by all that much. I think it speaks to more how good Tiger was. I do think there is more of an European influence on the PGA tour now but those guys were playing in the majors. I don't think the young players fear him as much as people did 5 years ago. I also think the added length for all the tour players is really closing Tiger's gap. He used to hit that Titleist 975D out there 30+ yards further than his opponent. Now with technology all tour players have extra length.

As for Rory I think he can have a Phil type career. He can be a very good golfer who if he doesn't let his head get in his way could win double digit majors. I think Rory already has two major meltdowns in tournaments that he should have won. He went Tiger in this past US Open blowing the field away. I think once anyone wins the first major it makes the next ones much easier.

I don't think anyone catches Jack because there are just too many good players in the game today. But I do think Rory has 10 win potential because of age, game, and a picture perfect putting stroke.