PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when?

brm7675
06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
How does a GM and a manager know when it's time to promote up a minor league player to take over as the every day player? There are times when injuries force their hand, but if injuries are not an issue you have to wonder what it takes from the players involved for the move to happen? I mean we have a couple of players right now at AAA who seem to be ready and no real challenge coming from their major league counter part. It is true that there is a HUGE difference between AAA and the Show, but you have to wonder what it takes to make a move...

RedsfaninMT
06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
I think a bunch of us are super frustrated over this very issue. Royals have called up a couple of their super prospects, meanwhile Janish languishes and Cozart is stinging the ball.

I think this is the last week of Janish, unless he starts to pull his average up a bit. If not, I expect Renteria to be cut and Cozart to get his shot.

As for the LF situation...

lonewolf371
06-18-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm sure there's a ton of things they look at. As fans all we can see are stats, but stats only give you an idea of how a guy is playing and don't tell the actual story. Walt and Dusty would break down film of a guy's swing, see if it needs any adjustments for the majors. They would look at if there are any glaring holes in their ability to see strikes vs. balls. Another thing would be whether there are parts of the strike zone that they can't hit, and if they can't hit a part of the zone can they at least foul off pitches around there. And finally of course there's defense: does a guy know how to make a read, take a good line to get the ball and consistently turn a double-play.

There isn't a number for "swing quality", but it's stuff like that that will ultimately determine how successful a guy is in the majors, not the triple-slash he posts at AAA.

Vottomatic
06-18-2011, 10:54 AM
It definately seems like Cozart and Sappelt have nothing left to prove in triple A. At that point, you have to see what a guy can do in the majors. Sure, it may be a world of difference between triple A and the majors, but if a guy has nothing left to prove in the minors, you have to find out sooner or later what they can do in the big time.

Another problem I have is that Dusty and management appear to be more concerned with hurting current players feelings. I just wish they cared more about putting butts in the seats, considering what the fans want.......and that's a winner. Surely Cozart's glove is as good as Renteria's and his bat appears better than Janish's including some power. And we've been talking about a guy that gets on base batting ahead of Votto..........wouldn't Sappelt be that guy? And they could move Stubbs down in the order?

Frustrating. Very disappointed in the lack of moves by this organization. I really believe this team would be in first place had Gomes not started so many games and maybe Cozart been up here a few weeks back.

And if I were Votto or Phillips, I'd be ticked that the organization has better options that could make the team stronger, and they fail to do anything about it.

Winning puts fans in the seats. I'm so frustrated, I'm not going to the games right now. Everytime I see the lineup with Gomes in it, I want to throw a rock through my TV.

lonewolf371
06-18-2011, 02:59 PM
It definately seems like Cozart and Sappelt have nothing left to prove in triple A. At that point, you have to see what a guy can do in the majors. Sure, it may be a world of difference between triple A and the majors, but if a guy has nothing left to prove in the minors, you have to find out sooner or later what they can do in the big time.

Another problem I have is that Dusty and management appear to be more concerned with hurting current players feelings. I just wish they cared more about putting butts in the seats, considering what the fans want.......and that's a winner. Surely Cozart's glove is as good as Renteria's and his bat appears better than Janish's including some power. And we've been talking about a guy that gets on base batting ahead of Votto..........wouldn't Sappelt be that guy? And they could move Stubbs down in the order?

Frustrating. Very disappointed in the lack of moves by this organization. I really believe this team would be in first place had Gomes not started so many games and maybe Cozart been up here a few weeks back.

And if I were Votto or Phillips, I'd be ticked that the organization has better options that could make the team stronger, and they fail to do anything about it.

Winning puts fans in the seats. I'm so frustrated, I'm not going to the games right now. Everytime I see the lineup with Gomes in it, I want to throw a rock through my TV.
There are more important things in life to be frustrated about than a baseball lineup. Why do you let it control your emotions like that?

Vottomatic
06-18-2011, 03:15 PM
There are more important things in life to be frustrated about than a baseball lineup. Why do you let it control your emotions like that?

Uh........there is a difference between real life and sports.

My sports watching life is frustrated. My real life realizes it's just sports and it really doesn't matter.

I can separate the two very easily.

Please don't go all psychoanalytical on me. This is just a message board. We all play GM. Reds management is doing a lousy job right now. That can't be disputed. And yes, from a Reds standpoint, it frustrates me.

webbbj
06-18-2011, 10:44 PM
the only thing that could make sense is they are looking to trade some of these pieces and dont want to risk them being exposed in any way.

but reds management the last 2 years has not lead me to believe that is the case.

Id like to see them up here.

lonewolf371
06-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Uh........there is a difference between real life and sports.

My sports watching life is frustrated. My real life realizes it's just sports and it really doesn't matter.

I can separate the two very easily.

Please don't go all psychoanalytical on me. This is just a message board. We all play GM. Reds management is doing a lousy job right now. That can't be disputed. And yes, from a Reds standpoint, it frustrates me.
You just have so much anger. It's weird because I hardly meet anyone in real life that's that angry, even about sports. Whatever, I guess I'll just keep disagreeing with you on everything on a message forum.:laugh:

Also, I think "throwing a rock through your TV" would cross over into "real life". As does yelling and being angry during a game.

Roush's socks
06-19-2011, 01:49 AM
The Reds aren't afraid to go with youth. Bruce, Stubbs, Votto, Bailey, Cueto, Wood all got their chances, even playing Leake without minors experience. If the offense struggles they will have to look at giving Cozart a chance to see if he can hit better than Janish. If the team wins games and is scoring runs they will live with Janish hitting .220. But if the pitching is doing better and the hitting is holding them back, the pressure will be on.

On Redszone I often see on the ORG the opinion that the Reds should use AAA players like Cozart, Frazier or Francisco on the bench in place of Renteria or Gomes/Lewis. The problem with that is you want young players getting playing time and improving. Players like Francisco need to be getting regular time on the defensive side to get their skill in shape.

Jefferson24
06-19-2011, 03:11 AM

It is an area of our lives we claim ownership of. None of us have any control of even the simplest part of our lives. It makes me feel better to invest myself in items I can express passion over. It's one thing to get mad at a stop light, its different if its the lineup that makes zero sense.

Jefferson24
06-19-2011, 03:17 AM
You just have so much anger. It's weird because I hardly meet anyone in real life that's that angry, even about sports. Whatever, I guess I'll just keep disagreeing with you on everything on a message forum.:laugh:

Also, I think "throwing a rock through your TV" would cross over into "real life". As does yelling and being angry during a game.

I work with several Cub fans, they have a rough go of it. At least there seems to be a light at the end of our tunnel.

Vottomatic
06-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Just an expression. Don't take it literally.

My frustration comes from the fact I've been calling for changes since the beginning of May, and we've had none. None.

I can only wonder where this team might be had there been some.

mlh1981
06-19-2011, 11:21 AM

It's sports. We're men. We like to drink beer and yell at the TV. We aren't a bunch of Harvard law grads here. Watching the Reds is what we like to do, and that's why we come to this forum. It doesn't mean it controls our lives, but its a nice diversion from the everyday routine.

lonewolf371
06-19-2011, 11:32 AM
It's sports. We're men. We like to drink beer and yell at the TV. We aren't a bunch of Harvard law grads here. Watching the Reds is what we like to do, and that's why we come to this forum. It doesn't mean it controls our lives, but its a nice diversion from the everyday routine.
I don't think there's anything manly about blowing your top off at a baseball lineup or yelling at the TV. Whenever I do it I see it as a lack of perspective, and it's a complete embarrassment if I lose it in front of my family. I guess if drinking beer and yelling make you happy, more power to you.:beerme:

mikdavrut
06-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't think there's anything manly about blowing your top off at a baseball lineup or yelling at the TV. Whenever I do it I see it as a lack of perspective, and it's a complete embarrassment if I lose it in front of my family. I guess if drinking beer and yelling make you happy, more power to you.:beerme:

You sound like you would be mighty boring to watch a game with

Crumbley
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm sure there's a ton of things they look at. As fans all we can see are stats, but stats only give you an idea of how a guy is playing and don't tell the actual story.
This is very true. There's no number for "stumbles in from the bar at 4 AM on game days". There's no stat for "uncoachable jerk". The jump from AAA - MLB is quite the chasm.

Vottomatic
06-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Well said.