PDA

View Full Version : "Itís going to be hard to keep me here" - Brandon Phillips

Degenerate39
06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/06/16/a-day-with-brandon-phillips/

Phillips on staying in Cincinnati: ďItís going to be hard to keep me here Ö Iím not trying to break the bank. Iím just trying to be fair. I donít want Jayson Werth money or CC Sabathia money.Ē

Haven't seen this any where. If I missed it please close

westofyou
06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
<Hawk Harrelson>He Gone</Hawk Harrelson>

hebroncougar
06-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Well, I've come to like Phillips, but I certainly wouldn't pay anymore than he's getting now.

muddie
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Looks like a fairly contradictory statement to me.

TOBTTReds
06-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Looks like a fairly contradictory statement to me.

Yeah, the article doesn't make it out to be like he wants top dollar. Just what he thinks he is worth. Which for all we know, may be more than we are willing to pay still.

SirFelixCat
06-17-2011, 08:14 PM
When I originally read that, I really thought it was a misprint and they forgot "not". I still think that's the case.

kbrake
06-17-2011, 08:35 PM
I think BP just gets the financial situation. He wants a fair contract but with guys like Bruce, Votto, Cueto, and Arroyo already getting extended and Stubbs probably coming soon he probably knows it will be hard for him to get a fair deal.

KronoRed
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh well.

kaldaniels
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Arroyo did the same sort of posturing remember.

Brutus
06-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Arroyo did the same sort of posturing remember.

Very true. It's almost like Phillips just wants to make sure he gets what he wants, but doesn't want to upset anyone or give the indication he wants out.

Blitz Dorsey
06-18-2011, 01:12 AM
It's irrelevant at this point. Why? Because BP has a team option next season that the Reds will definitely pick up. Past 2012, who knows, but I'm not worried in the least. Plus, as much as he doesn't want to, this forces Brandon to continue to prove to the Reds' front office that he deserves a lucrative LTC. He would love them to hand him one now -- and no one can fault him for that. He's been an excellent player during his time in Cincinnati and has been good in the community (actually lights-out great over the last couple years ... although he was always good with the fans ... Twitter has just taken it to new levels).

I like the idea of making him earn it by finishing up this season in impressive fashion. If he does, I bet the Reds will not only pick up his '12 option, they will look to offer him a LTC much like they did with Arroyo last year. If you remember, Bronson had a team option for this season. At the time, I thought the Reds would pick it up, have one more year with Bronson, then likely part ways after 2011. However, they decided to sign him to a 3-year deal. Maybe they'll look to sign BP to a four-or-five year deal.

But the point is the Reds are in a great position here. They control him through 2012 and only if he proves to be worthy of the cash will he get it. Something tells me he will.

Griffey012
06-18-2011, 01:36 AM
It's irrelevant at this point. Why? Because BP has a team option next season that the Reds will definitely pick up. Past 2012, who knows, but I'm not worried in the least. Plus, as much as he doesn't want to, this forces Brandon to continue to prove to the Reds' front office that he deserves a lucrative LTC. He would love them to hand him one now -- and no one can fault him for that. He's been an excellent player during his time in Cincinnati and has been good in the community (actually lights-out great over the last couple years ... although he was always good with the fans ... Twitter has just taken it to new levels).

I like the idea of making him earn it by finishing up this season in impressive fashion. If he does, I bet the Reds will not only pick up his '12 option, they will look to offer him a LTC much like they did with Arroyo last year. If you remember, Bronson had a team option for this season. At the time, I thought the Reds would pick it up, have one more year with Bronson, then likely part ways after 2011. However, they decided to sign him to a 3-year deal. Maybe they'll look to sign BP to a four-or-five year deal.

But the point is the Reds are in a great position here. They control him through 2012 and only if he proves to be worthy of the cash will he get it. Something tells me he will.

That's kinda what I was thinking..."No BP it is actually going to be really easy to keep you here, all we have to do is exercise your option" - WJ

I(heart)Freel
06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
This is going to be a great test of how much the club values off the field contributions. BPhil is a godsend for this team in that respect. Does BCast reward that? Frankly what he's doing on the field warrants a LTC, but the good will he's creating makes it a foregone conclusion.

Remember too that the club hired Joe Morgan back to specifically help with inner city interest in baseball. Look around the field. BPhil is the only African American regular. I suspect they'll value that (as they should, since that's an area they're already investing in with Morgan et al).

nemesis
06-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I like Brandon. I think he is a bigger cog on this team than most of us realize.

That being said this offseason would be the ideal time to trade him because his value will probably never be higher. He will have been an All-Star, Gold Glover and most likely with Utley having such a poor year, Sliver Slugger. He will have one very affordable year on his contract and give whomever trades for him a Type A FA who won't accept arbitration.

This is the type of piece you trade for a big name arm or high end prospects. I am also a firm believer you could get similar production out of Cozart at SS to offset his bat.

Caveat Emperor
06-18-2011, 06:10 PM
<Hawk Harrelson>He Gone</Hawk Harrelson>

They'd be foolish not to pick up the option for a year, at least. They can make a run at doing something in 2012 and then re-tool for 2013 -- possibly dealing Votto in the offseason.

westofyou
06-18-2011, 06:27 PM
They'd be foolish not to pick up the option for a year, at least. They can make a run at doing something in 2012 and then re-tool for 2013 -- possibly dealing Votto in the offseason.

Agreed, the dearth of quality at the position factors in too. However I don't see another long term contract for him here if he wants to be "shown the money"

06-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Phillips Wants To Stay (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/06/18/phillips-wants-extension/)

kaldaniels
06-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I love all the guys on the team right now and I love BP. I advocated signing Arroyo for a few more years, cause he just seems like he has the make-up to earn the big bucks for a few more years.

In BP's case. Let's say he signs a 4 year extension past 2012 (I imagine at his age he wants at least that). He would be 35 at the end of that contract. Do I think I'll be looking at 35 year old Brandon Phillips and say to myself, "Man, he earned that 65 million dollars"? Sadly, I think the answer to that question is no. Pay the man his 12 million in 2012, and unless the price/years is absolutely right, be prepared to move on.

cinreds21
06-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Ok so if BP does dip out during this off-season, who replaces him? Internally we don't have a set answer. I know Frazier only dabbled at second two years ago so that won't be the answer. Free agent wise, there isn't anything attractive that the Reds could afford. The only second baseman that may be available via trade would be Mark Ellis, Howie Kendrick and Michael Young.

kaldaniels
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Ok so if BP does dip out during this off-season, who replaces him? Internally we don't have a set answer. I know Frazier only dabbled at second two years ago so that won't be the answer. Free agent wise, there isn't anything attractive that the Reds could afford. The only second baseman that may be available via trade would be Mark Ellis, Howie Kendrick and Michael Young.

Not sure I follow the dip out phrase :D, but I advocate excercising the 2012 option, which gives us 1.75 years from today to have an answer to that question, be it from internally or externally.

cinreds21
06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Not sure I follow the dip out phrase :D, but I advocate excercising the 2012 option, which gives us 1.75 years from today to have an answer to that question, be it from internally or externally.

haha. It means leave.

cinreds21
06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
@datdudebp is about to be MLB Networks' Intentional Talk right now, so watch!

cinreds21
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow, Brandon is very funny. I've never really listened to him talk. I was a fan before, but wow he's great.

cinreds21
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow. BP called Volquez's dreads "black cheetos" hahah

reds44
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
When I originally read that, I really thought it was a misprint and they forgot "not". I still think that's the case.
This is how I feel. Thought it was a misprint then, still think it is now.