PDA

View Full Version : Transactions

redsof72
06-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Not sure if this has been reported, but Torreyes to Dayton, Lohman and Gerson to Billings.

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks 72. I'm excited to see how Torreyes does in Dayton.

lollipopcurve
06-18-2011, 08:02 AM
excellent -- really solidifies the Dayton club as the "next wave" after the Louisville group, IMO -- opens up a spot for Ryan Wright in Billings, too, if they can get him signed

batsfan
06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Torreyes will be very interesting to watch.

_Sir_Charles_
06-18-2011, 11:13 AM
It's about time! :clap:

The DARK
06-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Very good move!

I still believe Lohman has a shot at being a replacement level shortstop, but Torreyes deserves the chance to prove himself at a higher level. With Lotzkar returning as well, Hamilton chasing 100 steals, and the team about to set the sellout record, this 2nd half of the season in Dayton will be exciting to watch.

mace
06-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Dayton now has a remarkably dynamic roster. No fewer than eight players might be listed on somebody's top 10 in the organization, and almost everybody's top 20: Hamilton, Yorman, Torreyes, Lotzkar, Corcino, Barnhart, Smith, Duran.

And the next-level guys are no slouches. The great majority could be considered prospects, worthy of the top 40: Vidal, Doyle, Hayes, Howell, Gerson (if he returns), Tuttle (if he returns), Renken, D'Anna, Lutz . . .

Even if you look at players who might be considered the lesser lights on the club, they're guys still worth keeping an eye on: Bowe, Matthews, Rogers, Walczak, Wolford, Infante. Simply no clunkers there.

The only guy on the roster who, at this point, has not shown much, is Chris Berset, whom I certainly wouldn't give up on.

Anybody know where Dayton ranks in the league in terms of average age?

bubbachunk
06-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Who was the Dayton writer last year? Think he would still try to complain with this type of roster?

Benihana
06-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Who was the Dayton writer last year? Think he would still try to complain with this type of roster?

Marc Katz. He gone now.

While Dayton's roster is certainly interesting this year, it should continue to be next year as well. At this point, I'd expect Duran, Yorman, Hamilton, Torreyes, Stephenson, Guillon, Cisco, Mugarian, and either Waldrop or Rosa and Buckley or Arias (or both) to be a part of the team for at least the first half of next season.

As I look at that, it's possible that Hamilton and possibly Yorman and/or Duran get bumped up to High A ball to start next year. A lot of it will depend on how they perform the second half of this season. Corcino and Smith should play in Bakersfield the second half of this season, and Barnhart will start in High A next year.

Kevin1476
06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Off topic a little bit, but does anyone know where Anthony Cingrani( 3rd round LHP) was assigned to?

Benihana
06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
If both Waldrop and Rosa look to be ready for Dayton next year, and Duran continues to produce at least an .800 OPS in Dayton, I wonder if he starts in High A next year or if they try him somewhere else, like say 1B?

Not sure they'll have enough room for Rosa, Waldrop, Yorman, and Duran in the Dayton OF next year. Not to mention, some scouts believe that Hamilton may join them (in CF) someday. Ad with a solid effort in Billings, Juan Silva could be in the mix as well.

Scrap Irony
06-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Marc Katz. He gone now.

While Dayton's roster is certainly interesting this year, it should continue to be next year as well. At this point, I'd expect Duran, Yorman, Hamilton, Torreyes, Stephenson, Guillon, Cisco, Mugarian, and either Waldrop or Rosa and Buckley or Arias (or both) to be a part of the team for at least the first half of next season.

As I look at that, it's possible that Hamilton and possibly Yorman and/or Duran get bumped up to High A ball to start next year. A lot of it will depend on how they perform the second half of this season. Corcino and Smith should play in Bakersfield the second half of this season, and Barnhart will start in High A next year.

I think a lot depends on the second half of the season.

At the beginning of the year, there were a couple posters that believed it would take the young guys at least half a season to find their rhythm in low A Dayton.

Now that half the season is over, you've started to see Hamilton come around (over .300 BA and improved slugging over the past two weeks). Duran has been a pleasant surprise all year and is slugging well. Yorman is starting to take walks and has hit a little better over his last few games. All could very well make huge jumps as the second half unfolds.

Torreyes is likely going to stay in Dayton until the halfway point of the next season, though he could very well make the jump with the Yorman, et al, if he hits like he has his entire career.

Guillon, Stephenson, Cisco, Mugarian, Waldrop, Rosa, Buckley, and, IMO, Wright, Lohman, Buckley, Arias, etc, should make the trip to Dayton in 2012 (and perhaps this season).

A quick and dirty batting order/ starting rotation for 2012:
Devin Lohman/ Ryan Wright 2B
Junior Arias SS
Juan Silva OF
Nicholas O'Shea 1B
Jaren Matthews OF
Kyle Waldrop OF
Sean Buckley 3B
Vicioso/ Gonzalez C

Add in a bunch of interesting bats as DH/ extra OFs/ middle IFs and you've got another good bunch of kids ready.

This assumes, of course, that the Hamilton/ Yorman/ Duran/ Torreyes group hits in Dayton.

The rotation:
Tanner Robles/ Stephenson
Sterling Gerson
Cisco
Wes Mugarian
Ismael Guillon

That's a pretty solid prospect rotation with both youth and upside. Same with the offense.

Benihana
06-19-2011, 05:49 PM
According to the DDN article, the Reds are sending Lohman to Billings because they want him to play SS everyday. Where does that leave Junior Arias? Is he going to play 3B and Buckley 1B? I assume Ryan Wright, once signed, will play 2B everyday. At this point, I think Arias is the best prospect of the bunch, so I'd be most concerned with finding him a home first. Something's gotta give...

mth123
06-19-2011, 07:13 PM
According to the DDN article, the Reds are sending Lohman to Billings because they want him to play SS everyday. Where does that leave Junior Arias? Is he going to play 3B and Buckley 1B? I assume Ryan Wright, once signed, will play 2B everyday. At this point, I think Arias is the best prospect of the bunch, so I'd be most concerned with finding him a home first. Something's gotta give...

With Campbell in AA now, I'd like to see Vidal promoted and Arias play 3B in Dayton. Or maybe Buckley to Dayton. The Reds need 3B help. I have hopes for Arias there.

Benihana
06-19-2011, 10:13 PM
With Campbell in AA now, I'd like to see Vidal promoted and Arias play 3B in Dayton. Or maybe Buckley to Dayton. The Reds need 3B help. I have hopes for Arias there.

I like this plan, and also like Arias as the best 3B prospect in the system at this point.

Kc61
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Very good move!

I still believe Lohman has a shot at being a replacement level shortstop, .

Isn't it kind of premature to limit a guy like Lohman to replacement level?

I recall the bashing of Zack Cozart as a draftee and beginning player, now everyone is on the bandwagon.

Lohman probably was rushed to Dayton but at Billings is likely at the appropriate level. Glad the Reds are putting him there, hopefully he'll do well.

dougdirt
06-20-2011, 02:48 PM

I recall the bashing of Zack Cozart as a draftee and beginning player, now everyone is on the bandwagon.

Lohman probably was rushed to Dayton but at Billings is likely at the appropriate level. Glad the Reds are putting him there, hopefully he'll do well.

I will admit, I wasn't a fan of the Cozart pick when we made it. His scouting reports said he couldn't hit (and to be truthful, at the time, he couldn't hit.... he was all arms in his swing and it was quite apparent). But they also said that he could play a good shortstop.

Lohman on the flip side had scouting reports that said he couldn't hit (the part that worried me at the time was that the reports noted he would sell out everything he had for power, but in college he showed next to no power) and that he wasn't a good shortstop (range wasn't good, arm was).

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
From the DDN:

Said a Baseball America scouting report: “Torreyes is a wizard with the glove, capable of making the highlight play ranging into the outfield or behind the bag. At the plate, he has surprising pop for his size and he profiles as a top of the order hitter.”

In Venezuela with the Reds affiliate in the summer league there last year, Torreyes won the batting title with a .390 average and also led in doubles, triples, slugging percentage and runs.

“He’s an ideal No. 2 hitter,” Pelaez said. “He can hit, but he doesn’t have that little man’s syndrome where he tries to generate power.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/dragons-2nd-baseman-gets-2-hits-steals-in-debut-1188390.html

The DARK
06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
So, he's a young, mini-Brandon Phillips? Sign me up.

Benihana
06-20-2011, 05:54 PM

No and no. Doug addressed the Cozart issue.

Lohman's ceiling is likely somewhere between Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier, therefore a replacement level is pretty accurate. His floor is that he never gets by AA. I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome, especially the latter.

As a 22 year old former Top 100 pick from a big time college program, putting him in Dayton in his second year of pro ball is hardly rushing him. If anything, given that pedigree he could have started in Dayton last season. The fact that he couldn't hit a lick or play plus defense while there (or in Billings, where everybody hits) only confirms my original statement about his projection.

I hope the kid turns it around, but I'm certainly not expecting much out of him, now or in the future.

dougdirt
06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
No and no. Doug addressed the Cozart issue.

Lohman's ceiling is likely somewhere between Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier, therefore a replacement level is pretty accurate. His floor is that he never gets by AA. I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome, especially the latter.

I think you are drastically overrating his ceiling there. Perhaps defensively he falls in with those two guys, but both of those guys have shown power at points in their careers already that Lohman isn't likely to ever touch.

lollipopcurve
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't see Lohman as a prospect. Stick appears woefully short, and he doesn't have much speed, which limits his appeal as a utility guy. Brodie Greene is the far better middle INF/utility prospect, IMO.

Kc61
06-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Lohman did ok last night.

Benihana
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Lohman did ok last night.

A 22 year old had a couple hits in Billings? REJOICE!:bowrofl:

Benihana
06-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I think you are drastically overrating his ceiling there. Perhaps defensively he falls in with those two guys, but both of those guys have shown power at points in their careers already that Lohman isn't likely to ever touch.

My point was that his ceiling is two players who are (or will be) 26 and have played less than 30 major league games between them. I was agreeing with the previous poster who said his absolute best-case scenario is as a replacement level player.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Moves are being made.

bubbachunk
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Moves are being made.

Concerning which team(s) and when will the moves be known.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
The worse team in the minors and the team below. It'll be on the transactions page tomorrow I would think. Look to see who isn't in the lineup tonight.

batsfan
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
The worse team in the minors and the team below. It'll be on the transactions page tomorrow I would think. Look to see who isn't in the lineup tonight.

Any AAA moves?

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Any AAA moves?

Chapman to Louisville.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Whoops Bakersfield is off too. So don't look at the lineup. Yas is up, Codi down. There ya go.

batsfan
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Chapman to Louisville.

Any idea who is down to AA?

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Any idea who is down to AA?

I don't know. They have to make two moves since Wood is going down too. Someone might get released, but I don't know.

Edd Roush
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Whoops Bakersfield is off too. So don't look at the lineup. Yas is up, Codi down. There ya go.

Any chance Fleury starts over Codi in Bakersfield? I like Fleury better as a prospect.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Any chance Fleury starts over Codi in Bakersfield? I like Fleury better as a prospect.

I'm not too sure. I don't know much about Fleury other than what you guys say about him.

JayBruceFan
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
There is no doubt that Fleury will start over Coddington, he is by far the better player of the two.

GOYA
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Chapman to Louisville.

Chapman is still on a rehab stint. Wood has been sent down to Louisville's roster. No corresponding move yet as Wood has not been activated.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Chapman is still on a rehab stint. Wood has been sent down to Louisville's roster. No corresponding move yet as Wood has not been activated.

One of the Reds beat writers said he would be optioned if I read it correctly. And it also said it on rotoworld.

And yes, no corresponding move for Wood.

RiverRat13
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Grandal to Carolina per Mudcats Twitter...

texasdave
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Reineke has been outrighted to AAA. Reds have a spot open on their 40-man.

batsfan
06-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Reineke has been outrighted to AAA. Reds have a spot open on their 40-man.

Dontrelle Willis? Cozart is already on it.

reds44
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Its gotta be Willis or a trade.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Dontrelle Willis? Cozart is already on it.

Sappelt?

JaxRed
06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Sappelt?

Interesting... hard to do after Heisey's game.. "4 would have been impressive Chris"

BuckeyeRedleg
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
True.

How about just dump Gomes completely off the roster?

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 01:43 PM
True.

How about just dump Gomes completely off the roster?

That is a ridiculously stupid idea. Jonny currently sports a 1.084 OPS against lefties this year and has a career .890 OPS against lefties in 843 PAs. Just because Dusty uses him inappropriately against right-handed starting pitchers does not mean Jonny should be "dumped" from the roster.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no room for Dave Sappelt on the roster right now. I like having a lefty bat off the bench which Sappelt is not and Heisey and Gomes are nice pieces. Unless you are going to add a star in left, there is no reason to make a move there now.

On the other hand, Cozart for Renteria makes a lot of sense.

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Grandal to Carolina per Mudcats Twitter...

Told you :)

BuckeyeRedleg
06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
That is a ridiculously stupid idea.

I think you could have still made your point without this.

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I think you could have still made your point without this.

You are correct. I apologize for those words. I got a little upset because I have gone from a Gomes' "hater" to an "appreciator" this year, simply because the fans' view of Gomes has changes so much in one year.

Last year people (not necessarily informed posters on Redszone) were saying he was better than Bruce, which simply was not close to true because his defense is no where near Bruce and he is a below average hitter against right-handers to the point this year where people want to get rid of him.

Gomes is what he is. He is a great clubhouse guy to have around (which is impossible to quantify), he smokes left handers and he struggles in the field and at the plate against right handers. I think it would be irresponsible to get rid of Gomes because he is a flawed ballplayer. Give him all of the starts against left-handed starters, let him be your big LOOGY killer off the bench and sit him against right-handed starters. I hope Dusty is finally starting to see it this way too.

I like Dave Sappelt as a prospect. He is certainly lighting the world on fire at the plate in Louisville. I would love to see him in Cincinnati if something happens (God forbid) to one of our outfielders. Right now, I just don't think any outfielder deserves to be moved off the roster.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-23-2011, 03:51 PM
You are correct. I apologize for those words.

Fair enough. No hard feelings.

As for my issue with Gomes, it is because Dusty seems to not how to use him. I have no problem if he only plays vs. LHP. Hopefully if he's to remain on the roster, Dusty will use him correctly going forward.

Speaking of Sappelt, you mentioned above that you have zero interest in seeing him called up, but then a few minutes later on the ORG, you posted this.

I would love to call up Yonder to DH for the next 6 games. Him or Sappelt.

Who would you have moved if he's called up?

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I like the five current outfielders as stated in this thread. I would temporarily go down to eleven pitchers and send down Carlos Fisher for the next two series. Horst would be long man and if we tap out his arm, I would send him down and let Reineke clean up the rubble until Fisher is eligible again.

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 05:21 PM
I like the five current outfielders as stated in this thread. I would temporarily go down to eleven pitchers and send down Carlos Fisher for the next two series. Horst would be long man and if we tap out his arm, I would send him down and let Reineke clean up the rubble until Fisher is eligible again.

He was just taken off the 40 today.

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 05:29 PM
He was just taken off the 40 today.

Good point. Either way, I don't care who the long man is because if they are pitching its usually a blow out and you are just trying to save the rest of the bullpen for the next day. A DH like Alonso who can hit big league righties better than a Cairo has more value to me than a second long man (Fisher or Horst).

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
You're right. It just depends. Sometimes NL teams like to have an extra pitcher in an AL park since there are no double switches. But I don't know what they'll do.

AmarilloRed
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Reds trade SP Steven Jackson to the Pirates for a PTBNL.

Benihana
06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Reds trade SP Steven Jackson to the Pirates for a PTBNL.

The PTBNL will be RB Chris Perry.

OnBaseMachine
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
From Kevin Goldstein:

The #Reds have added Italian LHP Luca Panerati to the Low-A Dayton roster.

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

Danny Serafini
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
The PTBNL will be RB Chris Perry.

Well played. :laugh:

cinreds21
06-26-2011, 10:44 AM
INF Cody Puckett placed on the 7-day disabled list.

RHP Carlos Fisher optioned to Triple-A Louisville.

muddie
06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
RHP Jason Braun has been reinstated on the Mudcats roster. If this is posted prior to now I apologize.

cinreds21
06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Interesting that they are going with an extra arm for now.

muddie
06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
RHP Jason Braun has been reassigned to the High-A Bakersfield Blaze, with IF Jake Kahaulelio returning to the Mudcats from the Blaze.

cinreds21
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I knew it!

cinreds21
06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Your prayers have been answered...

Brutus
06-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Your prayers have been answered...

My prayers about winning $300 million, climbing into an intimate relationship with Jessica Alba or Cozart/Sappelt getting a call?

cinreds21
06-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I'll let you know in a little bit

Brutus
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I'll let you know in a little bit

Well, since I know you don't work for a lottery commission and I don't believe you're Alba's agent, I think I'll safely eliminate the first two options lol (but only for tonight. I still believe they're perfectly realistic)

cinreds21
06-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I'll try to work on Alba for you. But after I'm done with her first. :)

reds44
06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Was our prayers being answered Boxberger? If not, I may pee my pants.

Brutus
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Yea I want a refund on my prayers if it's only Boxberger's promotion.

reds44
06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Yea I want a refund on my prayers if it's only Boxberger's promotion.
GIVE ME BACK THE COLLECTION PLATE IM TAKING MY MONEY BACK haha

cinreds21
06-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Everyone was cussing the Reds out for not promoting him. Maybe prayer was a bit extreme. Hey, if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't know this until tomorrow. So ya, take it or leave it :)

Brutus
06-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Everyone was cussing the Reds out for not promoting him. Maybe prayer was a bit extreme. Hey, if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't know this until tomorrow. So ya, take it or leave it :)

You're right, at least tonight I can use my prayer for something else prior to bedtime :D

cinreds21
06-28-2011, 12:51 AM
lol, jerk :)

camisadelgolf
06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
I really wish you would've issued a spoiler alert. I didn't want to find out about the promotion until tomorrow. :(

klw
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey, if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't know this until tomorrow. So ya, take it or leave it :)

time on post 11:59
time until tomorrow: less than 60 seconds
:D:D:D

all jokes aside, thanks for the info both on this and throughout the season.

cinreds21
06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
]time on post 11:59
time until tomorrow: less than 60 seconds
:D:D:D[/B]

all jokes aside, thanks for the info both on this and throughout the season.

lol. It still wasn't "tomorrow" though :) haha

GOYA
06-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Justin Lehr placed on the DL. Lower back strain.

mace
06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I really like Lehr, but he is appearing to be just about done. He'll make a fine coach.

GOYA
06-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Lehr really appears to me to be still recovering from his surgery. But it might also be the end. Hard to say.

muddie
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
OF Quintin Berry has been activated from the disabled list, with IF Miguel Rojas returning to the disabled list with an injured right shoulder.

mace
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Apparently the Reds have released starting pitcher Lance Janke, who was in his second year at the high-A level and not doing well. (It's in a mbltraderumors link on my facebook page, but I don't see it in the actual web site.)

camisadelgolf
06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Apparently the Reds have released starting pitcher Lance Janke, who was in his second year at the high-A level and not doing well. (It's in a mbltraderumors link on my facebook page, but I don't see it in the actual web site.)
I run the mlbtr page on Facebook. I saw the transaction here yesterday: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_trn&lid=110&sid=l110

cinreds21
07-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Former Reds farmhand Sean Henry signed with Atlanta and is now with the Mississippi Braves.

cinreds21
07-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Bats infielder Juan Francisco (knee) will be placed on the 7-day disabled list. first/third baseman Mike Costanzo will be called up from Double-A Carolina. Third baseman Carlos Mendez will be called up from Single-A Bakersfield to Double-A Carolina.

cinreds21
07-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Just an update. Francisco has a torn meniscus in his right knee. I don't know if he's going to rehab it or opt for surgery. If the he and the Reds choose the latter, the typical recovery time is four to six weeks. I'll try and find out which route they are going to take.

GOYA
07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Lehr activated from Bats DL
Cozart up to the Reds
Janish down to Bats
Volquez down to Bats
Fisher up to Reds

muddie
07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Retro to July 8th, Travis Webb has been placed on the disabled list with a viral infection.
James Avery off the temporary inactive list. Avery will start tonight.

dougdirt
07-10-2011, 03:49 PM
JC Sulbaran was placed on the 60 day DL in Bakersfield.

Edit: Seems that it was just an entry error of some kind. He had a blister and his start was pushed back a few days.

GOYA
07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Willis to Reds
Fisher to Bats

HokieRed
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Willis to Reds
Fisher to Bats

Sorry to be stupid about this guys, but I've been wondering. Did we have to make a 40 man roster move to get Willis on or did we have an open space?

cinreds21
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Sorry to be stupid about this guys, but I've been wondering. Did we have to make a 40 man roster move to get Willis on or did we have an open space?

The latter.

HokieRed
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
The latter.

Thanks, CinRed.

camisadelgolf
07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
In addition to Ryan Smith being released, so were Tzu-Kai Chiu and Mike Henry.

cinreds21
07-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Jeremy Horst was recalled by Cincy.

JaxRed
07-15-2011, 04:28 PM
In addition to Ryan Smith being released, so were Tzu-Kai Chiu and Mike Henry.

Why in the world would they release a guy with a 0.00 ERA in the Cal League? Maybe it was a fluke, but wouldn't you let him fail first?

reds44
07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Jeremy Horst was recalled by Cincy.
Whaaa? For who?

dougdirt
07-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Whaaa? For who?

Arredondo to the DL. Muscle strain.

dougdirt
07-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Why in the world would they release a guy with a 0.00 ERA in the Cal League? Maybe it was a fluke, but wouldn't you let him fail first?

Perhaps it was an off the field issue? Pure speculation on my part, but the numbers were ok. He just came back from an injury, so even if he wasn't "right" you imagine that they would give him time to get back.

batsfan
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Who is going to AAA?

camisadelgolf
07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Unless it was a character issue, the Reds must have felt his stuff didn't translate to the high minors.

mace
07-16-2011, 12:33 PM
A nice, detailed story about the Reds signing a former University of Kentucky safety, Matt Lentz, from a tryout camp.

http://www.ukathletics.com/blog/2011/07/former-uk-safety-lentz-earns-another-shot-at-playing-career-with-the-reds.html

short UK bio and photo: http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lentz_matt00.html

Edit: Sorry, I hadn't seen that corkedbat posted this in the draft picks thread.