PDA

View Full Version : Are you enjoying yourself this season?

Ghosts of 1990
06-19-2011, 01:46 AM
I don't know if I was spoiled by 2010 or what, but I'm not having fun this year. There's something missing. Beyond the whole 'it's baseball, of course I'm enjoying it'. I get that. But this season just seems like one big blah-fest to me that has never really gotten off the ground, on the heels of last year anyways. I think when we look back on 2010 and 2011; we're going to remember the first one sweeter.

BearcatShane
06-19-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm having fun. Last year we were kinda spoiled. The Reds kinda coasted with a 2-3 game lead until August and then once St. Louis swept that series the Reds just coasted in the last 30 games of the year and had a comfortable lead the whole way. The Reds are right in the middle of a potential great pennat race right now and thats what baseball is all about. Here's to a fun summer with our guys celebrating in the end.

Redhook
06-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Last year, the Reds exceeded my expectations.

This year, the Reds aren't meeting my expectations.

I had great fun watching them last year.

This year, I've had some fun, but they're very frustrating because they could and should be better.

Overall, it's really nice that the Reds are at least decent again and in playoff races. It'd just be better if they went from pretty good to great.

Also, I wish Walt would bring up Cozart and maybe Alonso asap. IMO, it's a lot of fun watching rookies develop in front of your eyes. Right now, watching the mess at SS and LF isn't fun. It's like watching a bird flying into a window over and over and over again. I guess, for some, that could be fun to watch.

Redsfan320
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, its been fun. I agree with Rh that they should bring up Cozart and maybe Yonder, but its been a tight race, and the pitching is finally straightening out.

I haven't been in the GTs here near as much this year, but I've scored games a lot and watched on TV more, whereas for the GTs, I have to listen on radio. Been to 3 games so far this year, so yeah, not as fun as last year, but I'm enjoying myself.

Tony Cloninger
06-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I would rather they just ... go on a great run and just take the division easily while developing a Cozart and/or an Alonso.

I think i am more interested in watching the people in the minors develop then watching ...win 2...lose 3...win 1/lose 1...win 3/lose 2.

kbrake
06-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Not as much fun this year either but I guess that's because a .500 team just isn't as much fun. I consider myself a big Walt supporter but I'm really struggling to enjoy anything with this team with the current LF and SS situations. I think Walt has been brilliant at times but that doesn't mean he is above mistakes and LF and SS are looking more and more like two huge mistakes and every day that passes without him doing anything to address it just makes this season less fun.

VR
06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Having a blast.

Even in the dark years....baseball doens't make me miserable until the Reds are out of it.

Lot of irritants along the way with losses, lousy minor league players, sloppy play, poor managers, cheap owners......but baseball is like listening to a classical symphony over the course of a season, it's a beautiful thing.

RedRoser
06-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Having a blast.

...baseball is like listening to a classical symphony over the course of a season, it's a beautiful thing.

Well said, VR. :beerme:

SunDeck
06-19-2011, 01:19 PM
I cannot possibly be unhappy when there is Reds baseball to be played. Would I like them to be 5 games in front? Sure, but I have a long view of their chances and even barring that, I am happy to go to a ballgame anytime.

westofyou
06-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I am I enjoying the baseball season?

Do I enjoy sunshine, a pretty girl, a good laugh with friends?

Blitz Dorsey
06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes, mainly because we're fresh off a divisional title from last year and I think the future is very bright. I didn't have any delusions that the Reds were going to be World Series champs this year (or even NL champs with that absurd pitching staff in Philly ... the best MLB rotation of my lifetime and I'm 35) so I'm fine with them being a team that's "in the race" but "clearly has some flaws" yet is "exciting most of the time."

Next year is when I'm hoping it all comes together for the Reds. There won't be a rash of injuries on the pitching staff (including the injury to Volquez's brain earlier this year, which he seems to be getting past), LF and SS won't be a complete black hole offensively, Votto, Bruce and Phillips will all be their usual selves, catching will still be good with Hanigan and Mesoraco ... and hopefully they finally figure out Chapman needs to be a starter and quit messing around with this reliever nonsense. Yeah, you pay a guy $30 million who has never pitched out of the bullpen before -- he's clearly uncomfortable pitching out of the bullpen -- yet you leave him there? Eventually they'll figure it out and Chapman will be a starter. I bet he's a starter throughout the 2012 season in fact.

So, yes, I'm having fun this year. But I have big expectations for next season. Then again, that Phillies roadblock will still be standing in front of us, so I probably won't expect anything more than a divisional title and an eventual trip to the NLCS.

Blitz Dorsey
06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Do I enjoy sunshine, a pretty girl, a good laugh with friends?

Someone at your age saying they enjoy a pretty girl is kinda creepy. Just sayin'. :beerme:

jojo
06-19-2011, 01:34 PM
This season is awesome. We're not even at the all star break yet.

06-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Last year at this time the Reds were in almost exactly the same situation. They were four games above .500 and 2 games back of first. I'm actually more optimistic about the Reds chances this season, than I was last season.

And as long as the games the Reds play matter, I'm very happy. :)

Edskin
06-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm still fairly confident in this team and generally happy that the Reds are competitive again, but I do sense what the OP is getting at here... It's been a tad of a "blah" season thus far. The individual games haven't had a ton of drama or excitement. Am I having fun? Sure. But I do think there is a little something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.

jojo
06-19-2011, 02:34 PM
This is a good team.

Ghosts of 1990
06-19-2011, 02:55 PM
This season is awesome. We're not even at the all star break yet.

What has been awesome about it for you?

I am having trouble finding anything that's been 'awesome' about it.

mth123
06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Baseball is always awesome. I'm very restless in wanting this team to improve, but I'm still having a ball.

jojo
06-19-2011, 03:10 PM

We're blessed with getting to see a legitimately good team. This is so different than the lost decade that it's strange to hear vocal complaints.

Kc61
06-19-2011, 03:35 PM
We're blessed with getting to see a legitimately good team. This is so different than the lost decade that it's strange to hear vocal complaints.

Here's a vocal complaint. This is a pretty good team that doesn't make the moves to be top tier. That is frustrating and this is a frustrating season so far.

westofyou
06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Someone at your age saying they enjoy a pretty girl is kinda creepy. Just sayin'. :beerme:
Pretty lady?

I'm not THAT old

BearcatShane
06-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Johnny Cueto has been awesome in my opinion.

Will M
06-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Here's a vocal complaint. This is a pretty good team that doesn't make the moves to be top tier. That is frustrating and this is a frustrating season so far.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

My frustration actually goes back to the 2010 trade dealine when the team made little attempt to improve themselves.

Ghosts of 1990
06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Johnny Cueto has been awesome in my opinion.

Actually, you are right. You are completely right on this. Cueto is the only thing that I can think of that has been awesome.

I wouldn't even enlist Bruce (very good) and Votto (very good) as awesome. But you are right, Cueto is a point I missed; probably because he began the year on the DL.

jojo
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Firstbase, second base, centerfield, rightfield and catcher are all on pace to be above average...

Tough crowd I say....

Ghosts of 1990
06-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Sweeping the Yankees could make things feel great in a hurry. We almost had a sweep against them several years ago. Got a good feeling about this upcoming series, I really do.

WVRedsFan
06-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Baseball season was always a ball and still is. It makes my summer. Despite the frustrations of watching Volquez pitch (?) and the SS and LF situation, it's a winning club and that's really more than we've had, especially two years in a row.

And yes, I like pretty girls, women, females. And I'm a helluva lot older than WOY. Life does not end at 40 or 50, contrary to popular belief.

TOBTTReds
06-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Firstbase, second base, centerfield, rightfield and catcher are all on pace to be above average...

People don't want above average anymore. What pace is Phillips on (unless you are saying defensively, then of course, but offensively he's on pace to fall to a weak hitting Mid IF).

Although I love winning teams, I've always rooted for teams that are frustrating and don't win. I like to "solve" the problems in my head. I like to be the arm chair GM.

I have some moves that could help this team right now. Unfortunately, they are very simple and near obvious moves that would help.

I have fun either way, despite the frustration.

Superdude
06-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Are we complaining about baseball season here? :confused: Come on kids! Don't you realize the cold, seemingly endless months of hockey and NBA highlights are right around the corner? You've gotta cherish this time

I'm gonna drive my point home with a vaguely related inspirational video....YouTube - ‪Face Jiggle‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjQM5Fy2Lo)

Tony Cloninger
06-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Baseball season was always a ball and still is. It makes my summer. Despite the frustrations of watching Volquez pitch (?) and the SS and LF situation, it's a winning club and that's really more than we've had, especially two years in a row.

And yes, I like pretty girls, women, females. And I'm a helluva lot older than WOY. Life does not end at 40 or 50, contrary to popular belief.

I would still rather be about 28-35. Without a doubt....my best years.

WVRedsFan
06-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I would still rather be about 28-35. Without a doubt....my best years.Yeah. Me, too, but that's not going to happen. When I in that age group, the Reds were pretty bad. At least now, they appear to be just a couple of moves away from being really, really good.

Tony Cloninger
06-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah. Me, too, but that's not going to happen. When I in that age group, the Reds were pretty bad. At least now, they appear to be just a couple of moves away from being really, really good.

And the bengals were god awful during those years as well. My nation of origin was under performing in soccer. So i will enjoy the rest of my 40's.... feeling that at least 2 out of the 3 have improved, while The Bengals...never will.

Roy Tucker
06-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Each year that I've been a Reds fan, I've followed with passion and fervor the grand arc of the season with all of its micro and macro turns over, under, sideways, down, backward, forwards, square and round. Sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I'm pissed off, sometimes I'm disconsolate, sometimes I'm ecstatic, and sometimes I'm just meh.

But the one thing I am never is not enjoying a Reds season. Baseball seasons are a gift given to us baseball fans every year. Just like life, not every season is base-clearing blast over the center field wall. Sometimes its a weak dribbler to the pitcher or solid double off the RF wall. But they are always endlessly fascinating, frustrating, interesting, exasperating, and thrilling. And I wouldn't trade any of them for a million bucks.

(well, maybe 1982)

Ron Madden
06-20-2011, 04:29 AM
The Baseball Season is my favorite time of the year. On those cold Dec. and Jan. nights I really miss listening to the Reds play baseball.

GAC
06-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Having a blast.

Even in the dark years....baseball doens't make me miserable until the Reds are out of it.

Lot of irritants along the way with losses, lousy minor league players, sloppy play, poor managers, cheap owners......but baseball is like listening to a classical symphony over the course of a season, it's a beautiful thing.

Couldn't have said it better myself VR. :thumbup:

I know we're all Red fans here, but my enthusiasm and passion is for the game itself, and not just the Reds. So yeah I'm enjoying myself, and will till the last pitch is thrown for the 2011 season. Them I'll shed a tear till next ST.

The "ups and downs" we saw our team go through in the early stages of this season, and due mainly to injuries, is all part of the game. We're getting healthy, our pitching is coming around.

Need I remind some that on June 20th of last year we were 37-33 .529 and 1.5 games behind the Cards. Right now we're 38-35 .521 and 2 games back of the Cards/Brewers who are tied.

How can one not enjoy this?

GAC
06-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Betty White is hot! :lol:

http://girlstalkinsmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/BETTY-WHITE-HOT-DOG.jpg

cumberlandreds
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Each year that I've been a Reds fan, I've followed with passion and fervor the grand arc of the season with all of its micro and macro turns over, under, sideways, down, backward, forwards, square and round. Sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I'm pissed off, sometimes I'm disconsolate, sometimes I'm ecstatic, and sometimes I'm just meh.

But the one thing I am never is not enjoying a Reds season. Baseball seasons are a gift given to us baseball fans every year. Just like life, not every season is base-clearing blast over the center field wall. Sometimes its a weak dribbler to the pitcher or solid double off the RF wall. But they are always endlessly fascinating, frustrating, interesting, exasperating, and thrilling. And I wouldn't trade any of them for a million bucks.

(well, maybe 1982)

Couldn't have said it better. :thumbup:

The Voice of IH
06-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow, great question.

Am I enjoying myself this season. I tweeted Johnfay and Jim day asking them if it is OK for me to be a little upset at the then under-preforming team. And I got the usual jackass responses. I even received tweets from other followers who saw my question, and they told me to go away also.

Quite frankly I expected much more of this club at the beginning of they year. But throughout it all I guess I have adjusted my views and instead of expecting a ten game lead at the end of the season I will be thrilled with a one. So to answer the question, yes, I am enjoying myself this season because the Reds are in the race, which forces me to pay attention and really cheer on the boys. And I find cheering for sports teams just as fun as watching them win.

jojo
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
People don't want above average anymore. What pace is Phillips on (unless you are saying defensively, then of course, but offensively he's on pace to fall to a weak hitting Mid IF).

I'm assuming that he'll come out of his funk and return to something like a league average hitter over his remaining PAs this season.

Concerning the point behind pointing out that the Reds are a good team full of above average players is that they are legitimately a contender for the division. In other words this is real reason to hope.

Although I love winning teams, I've always rooted for teams that are frustrating and don't win. I like to "solve" the problems in my head. I like to be the arm chair GM.

For me the joy is to estimate the true skill of the team as accurately as possible (so I can understand just what is reasonable to expect) and watch them over come the adversity that they face. In other words, appreciate the team/players for what they actually are and enjoy the battle with appropriate expectations.

I guess that's why I tend to be critical of the narratives that often get applied to players/teams. If one needs a narrative to make the reality more pleasing, why devote so much energy to rooting for a player/team? Again, that's just how I'm wired. But sports are best for me when they're a metaphor for life and the metaphor breaks down for me when inappropriate expectations are applied or a narrative distorts the reality.

That's what's so pleasing to me about the last season and a half.... no narrative need be applied. This team is good enough to make magic as the second half of 2010 demonstrated. It's just a matter of whether they'll overcome adversity.

Anyway, every body watches for different reasons and in different ways.

Ghosts of 1990
07-23-2011, 01:27 AM
I don't know if I was spoiled by 2010 or what, but I'm not having fun this year. There's something missing. Beyond the whole 'it's baseball, of course I'm enjoying it'. I get that. But this season just seems like one big blah-fest to me that has never really gotten off the ground, on the heels of last year anyways. I think when we look back on 2010 and 2011; we're going to remember the first one sweeter.

I felt this way. I feel this way. It won't go away, and it's getting worse.

I guess I have seen enough baseball to know when something is just 'off'.

This is not our year. We are snakebitten, and there's been few true positives that you can even take from this season. It amounts to the window closing, uncertainty, another year of primes gone by.

This has been the most challenging season of being a fan yet--not the worst record wise--but when you consider expectations, it's been the worst for me.

redsfaninbsg
07-23-2011, 02:24 AM
I felt this way. I feel this way. It won't go away, and it's getting worse.

I guess I have seen enough baseball to know when something is just 'off'.

This is not our year. We are snakebitten, and there's been few true positives that you can even take from this season. It amounts to the window closing, uncertainty, another year of primes gone by.

This has been the most challenging season of being a fan yet--not the worst record wise--but when you consider expectations, it's been the worst for me.

Co-sign, this team has too much talent to have this record. Tonight was the worst regular season game I've experienced in a long time. I live around a ton of Braves fans and regardless of what happens the rest of the series, all I'll hear is your manager is too stupid to know the count.

Captain Hook
07-23-2011, 02:26 AM
I enjoy every season believe it or not.If I ever did stop enjoying the Reds then I doubt I'd be around here to answer such a question.

cincyinco
07-23-2011, 03:07 AM
No.

Wheelhouse
07-23-2011, 06:11 AM
My answer to the post question: no. The point of watching baseball is to be entertained, and for me that means watching the game being played well. The Reds do not play the game well.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-23-2011, 06:20 AM
I'll agree with the "no" crowd. Just an incredibly disappointing season that really started with the lackadaisical and complacent offseason.

Dear football, please get here fast.

GAC
07-23-2011, 06:39 AM
I'll agree with the "no" crowd. Just an incredibly disappointing season that really started with the lackadaisical and complacent offseason.

Dear football, please get here fast.

What do either Bengal or Brown fans have to look forward to? They're usually out of it before the halfway mark. :laugh:

And while the Reds this year haven't played up to expectations, the last I looked they're still in it.

signalhome
07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm frustrated with the Reds losing, sure, but there's no way I could say I'm not enjoying myself. I love watching the Reds play, period. It doesn't matter if they're five games up or five games back or twenty games back and completely out of it. I truly look forward to the Reds game every day and will continue to do so every day until the season ends. And for what it's worth, I'm the same way with the Bengals and UK (even the Billy Clyde years!).

However, I do understand where you're all coming from with your frustration and disappointment. I've just mellowed a lot over the past few years, and I find myself enjoying the Reds, Bengals, and UK regardless of record. I still get plenty mad and upset over losses, but I don't know, I'm now just able to put that completely behind me and fully enjoy the next game as if the last one never happened.

RANDY IN INDY
07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Feels a lot like 1971 to me where there was loads of talent but not much of anything went right.

WVRedsFan
07-23-2011, 10:05 AM
A bad baseball season beats a good football season every time. It is frustrating to see people you thought were good look so bad. It is frustrating to see nothing done to improve the club, but I'll take it and hope things turn around. If not--well that's baseball. '

mth123
07-23-2011, 10:40 AM
A bad baseball season beats a good football season every time. It is frustrating to see people you thought were good look so bad. It is frustrating to see nothing done to improve the club, but I'll take it and hope things turn around. If not--well that's baseball. '

This is about where I am. I've lost patience and confidence in the current regime both in the GM chair and on the field and enjoy discussing solutions even if I know they are very very unlikely. But I still love the games and hope for a turnaround.

I don't think I could ever not love a baseball season.

GAC
07-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Feels a lot like 1971 to me where there was loads of talent but not much of anything went right.

Ain't that the truth. Maybe we'll see a slobber-knocker trade this coming off-season like the one Howsam made following that '71 season? ;)

RANDY IN INDY
07-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Ain't that the truth. Maybe we'll see a slobber-knocker trade this coming off-season like the one Howsam made following that '71 season? ;)

Doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-23-2011, 11:26 AM
What do either Bengal or Brown fans have to look forward to? They're usually out of it before the halfway mark. :laugh:

And while the Reds this year haven't played up to expectations, the last I looked they're still in it.

With football I can enjoy other games even when my team is out of it. And I can get into any college football game even if it's not OSU or UC playing. In baseball I can't do that. When the Reds check out, I check out. Maybe - maybe - if the Rockies are interesting I'll watch/follow them a little after the Reds are out, but that's not going to be the case this year.

Blitz Dorsey
07-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I was very optimistic until recently. However, I can now officially say I am NOT having fun this season. I already can't wait 'till next year.

Joseph
07-23-2011, 08:35 PM
With football I can enjoy other games even when my team is out of it. And I can get into any college football game even if it's not OSU or UC playing. In baseball I can't do that. When the Reds check out, I check out. Maybe - maybe - if the Rockies are interesting I'll watch/follow them a little after the Reds are out, but that's not going to be the case this year.

I'm the opposite. Yes the only team I care for is the Reds, but I can watch the two worst teams in baseball any day of the week. I'd rather watch the two worst teams in baseball than the Superbowl. Football is a time passer sure, but there is not the same beauty in that game that there is in baseball.

marcshoe
07-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Some frustration, but things will get better, I think. And I've enjoyed seeing kids like Cozart and Heisey develop and hope to see Frazier join in. Love Rolen, but think he's done for. It's fun seeing kids step right in.

I'm also enjoying seeing Cueto turn into an ace.

marcshoe
07-24-2011, 02:39 AM

Even though that was the year before I started following seriously, I heard a lot about the disappointment from friends, and it made the next year sweeter. I've made the comparisons too. I haven't given up on this season yet, though. I think there's still fun to be had.

marcshoe
07-24-2011, 02:41 AM
I enjoy every season believe it or not.If I ever did stop enjoying the Reds then I doubt I'd be around here to answer such a question.

Good point. fwiw, when I get too down on the team, I can't make myself come here.

redsmetz
07-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I typed something yesterday from my hotel room & the computer ate it.

Can't say I'm "enjoying" the season. Last year, if this club got behind, I had a regular sense, they could come back & win a game. I don't have that feeling this year. I agree with those who say the team seems "snakebit," nothing seems to be jelling, although it doesn't feel like a lack of "chemistry." I think one of the games Cordero blew before the break is emblematic of the season. Runner on third, two outs, slow roller to Rolen which the runner beats, game tied. Then we lose it. My son noted that had the ball been hit just a little bit harder, the games over and "belongs to the Reds."

Winning's going to be tough, but I can't dismiss it. History is replete with clubs coming from behind, leapfrogging others and winning. Will it be easy? No. But it can be done, with that I remain hopeful.

RedLegsToday
07-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Still enjoying it, eventhough the last 30 games or so are really trying my patience. :)

There's always something to get excited about every baseball season, win or lose.

Always Red
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
The interest now for me is not so much if the Reds can win the Central (although not impossible, it is unlikely at this point) but rather how they position themselves for improvement in 2012. This team needs some changes, course, but I'd rather them be long term changes rather than stop gap rentals.

The Reds need to continue to follow the Tampa Bay and Minnesota model due to the budget; they will never be able to compete with the Phillies, Yanks and even the Cardinals and Brewers (unless GABP starts selling out every game) at adding big difference makers at the deadline.

That requires patience, foresight and not overreacting. Which is tough to do in today's instant world.

IslandRed
07-24-2011, 11:29 AM

+1.

More than any other sport I follow, baseball is about the journey, not the destination. Not saying the destination isn't important. But the day I don't enjoy the journey is the day I'm not a baseball fan anymore. There's no room in my life for something that sucks up as much time as following baseball if I'm not enjoying it.

RANDY IN INDY
07-24-2011, 11:34 AM
When I get frustrated, I remind myself that it could be late November. :)

Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

— A. Bartlett Giamatti (Take Time for Paradise: Americans and Their Games)