PDA

View Full Version : Dusty and Walt on SS: "We are happy with what we have"

Vottomatic
06-19-2011, 09:38 AM
From Fay:

Shortstop Zack Cozart is hitting .323 with 23 doubles, seven home runs and 28 RBI, while the Reds shortstops hover around .230 with little power.

Does there come a point where Cozart forces a move?

“We’re not at that point yet,” Jocketty said. “We’ve got a lot of guys down there doing well. (Yonder) Alonso’s done well, (Juan) Franicsco, (Jeremy) Hermida. A lot of guys are down there who are putting up good numbers. Dusty and I have talked about it. Right now, we’re happy with what we have.”

Yep. Pretty much why we're in third place. Management is clueless.

When they made Volquez Opening Day starters, I pretty much knew that Alzheimer's had set in on both Jocketty and Dusty Baker. :eek: :p

Reds
06-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Don't get it confused, Fred Wilpon owns the Mets not the Reds, we don't throw members of our team under the bus.

A change/trade might occur, until then, it's business as usual verbally.

texasdave
06-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't get it confused, Fred Wilpon owns the Mets not the Reds, we don't throw members of our team under the bus.
A change/trade might occur, until then, it's business as usual verbally.

Unless our name is Edinson Volquez and we are talking about the hitters.

mlh1981
06-19-2011, 11:16 AM
He pretty much has to say that, though he's watching the same thing we are. I just don't see how he or Dusty can be happy with the play at SS.

lonewolf371
06-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Unless our name is Edinson Volquez and we are talking about the hitters.
He's talking about management. There's a difference when an athlete has a loose tongue and when management has a loose tongue.

texasdave
06-19-2011, 03:40 PM
He's talking about management. There's a difference when an athlete has a loose tongue and when management has a loose tongue.

To you there is a difference. To me it's all the same.

tobttr
06-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Mr. Baker has a reputation of being a players' manager. I don't know all that much about Jocketty's philosophy. But I suspect that this is a morale-boosting politically correct way of saying things in mid-June.
I can't imagine George Steinbrenner looking at a similar situation while he was running the Yankees and saying he was "happy" about what he was seeing. But I sincerely hope that is just a different style of leadership. Like the rest of you forumers, I would be deeply troubled if Reds management is REALLY satisfied with what is going on at SS.

wlf WV
06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
The trouble with these politically correct statements are the actions mimic them.I expect something soon,even for the cautious FO.

Crumbley
06-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't take anything that comes out of an exec's mouth at face value.

mu4103
06-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Here is the problem with that statement. He is justifying why he is not bringing him up by saying other players are playing well too. First that doesn't make sense. Second it can mess with a players confidence and sends a bad message. He is getting the "Chris Heisey" treatment for not playing.

They are justifying there decision by comparing him to Jeremy Hermida. We all saw what Hermida did we he came up here. I have noticed this a lot from Dusty. He justifies his decision by putting down his players that he does not want to play.

The correct thing to say is that "We are being patient and still have confidence in the guys we have up here. He is doing an outstanding job in the minors, but at this point we believe the guys we have up here are going to do the job." Enough said.

What sense does it make to compare Corzatt to Hermida? It only makes the manager and owner "look" smart while taking confidence away from a young player. Heck Dusty had a whole book full of reasons Heisey wasn't ready to play, after he ran out of reasons Gomes should. That really bothers me when someone tells the press something to defend themselves while at the same time putting down a player. Comparing Corzatt to Hermida does not make sense and if I was Corzatt, I would be throwing my arms up in the air.

mu4103
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Wrong thread - so I had to delete this post. Sorry.

wlf WV
06-20-2011, 07:53 AM
We have 4 of the top 8 batters in IAAA,and Sappelt would be leading the pack if he had a couple (?) more ABs.That's 5 of the best batters in the International League at this time,amazing.I think Sappelt has been more consistent than any of the others.He also did it in spring training.

Vottomatic
06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
For the record, I don't want them to trade for a SS. I want to see what Cozart can do in the Big Leagues.

If he crashes and burns, so be it. But he has nothing left to prove in triple A. And our Big League SS's aren't exactly doing much anyway.

Old NDN
06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Of course they're going to say they're happy. Just trying to give a little encouragement to the SS's. But I agree with most: there definitely needs to be a few changes. Sometimes it re-energizes the players, (and pacifies some fans) knowing that mgmt. is TRYING to make the team better.

izzy's dad
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I can't even look at Renteria's face without being filled with rage. If he boots one more routine ground ball I might have a stroke. Both of our shortstops have warning track power at best... in GABP that is weak. I don't think Cozart is going to be Derek Jeter, but Stephen Drew maybe. Please God, prompt Walt to release Renteria and call up Cozart. If you do this I promise to quit drinking... for real this time. Amen.

brm7675
06-20-2011, 11:42 AM
As soon as you allow "feeling" and emotions dictate your decision making process as a GM and Manager you are bound to fail.

mu4103
06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
As soon as you allow "feeling" and emotions dictate your decision making process as a GM and Manager you are bound to fail.

Well if that were the case we could all just get out a baseball almanac and manage in the majors! :)

Vottomatic
06-20-2011, 03:08 PM
The latest from Fay:

Dusty and Walt on Gomes hitting: "We're both happy that Gomes is hitting .213. We think he's great!"

;) :lol:

texasdave
06-21-2011, 01:50 AM
From Fangraphs this is a chart of the WAR team totals for SS to date in 2011. To save time if you are looking for the Reds start at the bottom. Zero is Replacement Level. A negative number would indicate worse than Replacement Level. And our braintrust (lol) is happy with what they have. The numbers should speak for themselves.

TEAM WAR
Mets 4.2
Rockies 3.0
ChiSox 3.0
Tigers 2.7
Indians 2.6
Rangers 2.2
DBacks 1.9
Orioles 1.9
B-Jays 1.9
Phils 1.7
Cubs 1.5
Astros 1.4
BoSox 1.2
Dodgers 1.1
Angels 1.1
Royals 1.1
Braves 0.9
Nats 0.8
Marlins 0.8
M's 0.8
Padres 0.6
Cards 0.4
Yanks 0.4
Twins 0.3
Pirates 0.2
Brewers 0.2
A's -0.1
Rays -0.1
Giants -0.3
Reds -0.5

Vottomatic
06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
From Fangraphs this is a chart of the WAR team totals for SS to date in 2011. To save time if you are looking for the Reds start at the bottom. Zero is Replacement Level. A negative number would indicate worse than Replacement Level. And our braintrust (lol) is happy with what they have. The numbers should speak for themselves.

TEAM WAR
Mets 4.2
Rockies 3.0
ChiSox 3.0
Tigers 2.7
Indians 2.6
Rangers 2.2
DBacks 1.9
Orioles 1.9
B-Jays 1.9
Phils 1.7
Cubs 1.5
Astros 1.4
BoSox 1.2
Dodgers 1.1
Angels 1.1
Royals 1.1
Braves 0.9
Nats 0.8
Marlins 0.8
M's 0.8
Padres 0.6
Cards 0.4
Yanks 0.4
Twins 0.3
Pirates 0.2
Brewers 0.2
A's -0.1
Rays -0.1
Giants -0.3
Reds -0.5

Could be the Mets. Tons of talent that isn't getting it done.

vottofan4life
06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Like for the Reds to trade for Carlos Beltran and RA Dickey/ Jon Niese/ or Chris Capuano. Put a package around Yonder Alonso, Donnie Joseph and a few Double A or Single A guys and get it done. Mets would throw in money to make a trade. Maybe even work out a contract with Beltran for a year or two before he is traded.

Kiss the Baby00
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I think at this point Reyes is unmovable for the Mets. their fans will go into an uproar if they trade him on the cusp of an MVP season. I wish he hasnt lpayed so well up to this point so we could get him but unfortunately I think it is a long shot

malcontent
06-21-2011, 01:36 PM

TEAM WAR
Mets 4.2
Rockies 3.0
ChiSox 3.0
Tigers 2.7
Indians 2.6
Rangers 2.2
DBacks 1.9
Orioles 1.9
B-Jays 1.9
Phils 1.7
Cubs 1.5
Astros 1.4
BoSox 1.2
Dodgers 1.1
Angels 1.1
Royals 1.1
Braves 0.9
Nats 0.8
Marlins 0.8
M's 0.8
Padres 0.6
Cards 0.4
Yanks 0.4
Twins 0.3
Pirates 0.2
Brewers 0.2
A's -0.1
Rays -0.1
Giants -0.3
Reds -0.5

texasdave: You need to send that to Jocketty, straight-away.

brm7675
06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Like for the Reds to trade for Carlos Beltran and RA Dickey/ Jon Niese/ or Chris Capuano. Put a package around Yonder Alonso, Donnie Joseph and a few Double A or Single A guys and get it done. Mets would throw in money to make a trade. Maybe even work out a contract with Beltran for a year or two before he is traded.

Zero chance of this trade or any "major" deal involving the Reds happening this year. Both Walt and Dusty have made it pretty clear that they are happy with how the team and the players are performing. The chances of any real change happening is pretty close to zero....

Vottomatic
06-21-2011, 03:31 PM

I originally wanted Beltran, but his salary is a huge stumbling block. I prefer Matt Kemp, and I think the Reds could obtain him. Cordero is finished after this season and they could just not re-sign Phillips. That would save $24M between the two of them. They save nearly $7M next season when Renteria, Gomes, and Ramon Hernandez become free agents. That's $31M worth of savings. Fred Lewis and Jared Burton won't be back either, saving $1.65M between the two. Plenty of money to trade for Kemp and sign him. He goes to arbitration. Bring up Sappelt to fill Phillips place in the batting order. Use Cozart at SS........can't be any worse. I'd be willing to trade Stubbs to obtain Kemp.

LF Sappelt
2B Frazier/Valaika/Cairo - whoever
1B Votto
CF Kemp
RF Bruce
3B Rolen
SS Cozart
C Hernanigan

brm7675
06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I originally wanted Beltran, but his salary is a huge stumbling block. I prefer Matt Kemp, and I think the Reds could obtain him. Cordero is finished after this season and they could just not re-sign Phillips. That would save $24M between the two of them. They save nearly $7M next season when Renteria, Gomes, and Ramon Hernandez become free agents. That's $31M worth of savings. Fred Lewis and Jared Burton won't be back either, saving $1.65M between the two. Plenty of money to trade for Kemp and sign him. He goes to arbitration. Bring up Sappelt to fill Phillips place in the batting order. Use Cozart at SS........can't be any worse. I'd be willing to trade Stubbs to obtain Kemp.

LF Sappelt
2B Frazier/Valaika/Cairo - whoever
1B Votto
CF Kemp
RF Bruce
3B Rolen
SS Cozart
C Hernanigan

What leads you to believe the Dodgers would trade him?