PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of George Grande

Blitz Dorsey
06-19-2011, 03:29 PM
First the Indians series and now this? Why must FSN keep torturing me? Just when I thought we were done with "Mr. Goodie Two-Shoes" they bring him back for the occasional series.

I need an announcer that will call it like it is, actually add something to the broadcast ... and not behave as though they are announcing a T-ball game where they don't want to say anything negative about the 5-year-old kids playing.

Redsfan320
06-19-2011, 03:36 PM
George rocks. He brings a vibe to the game that no other announcer does. IMO, he's the best we have besides Marty (who also gets a lot of haterade around here).

Blitz Dorsey
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
George rocks. He brings a vibe to the game that no other announcer does. IMO, he's the best we have besides Marty (who also gets a lot of haterade around here).

Please tell me that's sarcasm. George is nails-against-the-chalkboard for me. Hi, hello and welcome!

Holy redundancy, Batman.

There is a reason the Reds finally cut bait with him. What I can't figure is why they even bring him back for a series here and there. Can the Chinese Torture Treatment please stop?!

dougdirt
06-19-2011, 03:42 PM

Marty sucks 90% of the time. When Marty isn't describing to me what is going on down on the field, he makes me want to immediately turn off the game. That 10% of the time he is describing what is going on down on the field is fantastic, but that 90% of the time is very rough IMO.

mth123
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
I think George is the team's best play by play guy. Put Welsh on Color and Let Kelch fill in either spot. Marty needs to retire and take Thom with him. Brantley is horrible.

Redsfan320
06-19-2011, 04:07 PM
It wasn't sarcasm, Blitz. It appears we have quite differing opinions.

Doug, I don't get that from Marty.

mth, I agree with you right up until the word "Marty", which I've already addressed. Thom is okay, he's actually pretty good, but sometimes George makes him look like an amateur in a way that's hard to describe. George kinda seems to have a feel for baseball that Thom doesn't; maybe its all the football announcing that Thom does. Thom can be a bit of a drama king at times too, but other than that he's okay. Brantley can be annoying sometimes, and his pbp leaves a lot to be desired (and some of that's on WLW for having him do pbp in the first place with their weird inning-by-inning rotation), but as a color guy, when he's talking about the game, he's actually pretty knowledgeable. I rather like Kelch's pbp, very smooth. While I like Thom alright, I wouldn't shed any tears if Kelch had the main TV job.

Casey I like, on a limited basis. Keels was horrible last year, the only broadcaster RZ seemed unanimous on. I'm thrilled he's gone.

dougdirt
06-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Doug, I don't get that from Marty.

Marty comes off to me as a very bitter old man. I strongly disagree with his ideas of what a baseball player should be valued upon. He really harps on what players tend not to do rather than what they are able to do. It all just rubs me the wrong way.

reds1869
06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Kelch is by far my favorite Reds PBP man right now. I'd enjoy a TV booth pairing him with Welsh on a regular basis. Since I don't listen on the radio very much these days, I'd love to ship Thom over with his dad so I don't have to listen to him.

Always Red
06-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Marty is not as bitter as he was a few years ago- the team improved and so did his personal life, I believe.

Mostly I enjoy both Marty and GG because of their history with this team. I have listened to both of them most of my adult life, and there is a comfort level there. They're like old friends, whom you know have flaws, but you love them anyway because of how long you have known them and the experiences you have shared.

I have only met Marty a few times and have always found him to a very gracious and friendly man. I have met and talked with GG about a half dozen times, and I think he is one of the nicest guys I have ever known. A relative was very close with him and thought the world of GG.

ON the other hand, I listen to the same stuff that you guys do, and I totally understand the angst that many here have against these guys. I get it. Maybe I'm just old enough and have listened to both of them long enough that I ignore what bothers many here.

Maybe I'm just mellowing out in my old age, but even Brantley is growing on me. When he's not talking about ribs or ice cream, the guy does know how to talk about pitching, and get it across to his listeners.

PS- oh, and I do enjoy Jim Kelch, too, very much. Excellent addition to the booth- a technician, who covers all the bases and sticks mostly to baseball, which is needed when working with Marty sometimes. Marty may have morphed into Joe-like somewhere along the line, without Joe's experience as a player, of course...

Always Red
06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
From Jamie Ramsey's great site: http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2011/06/19/baseline-items-619-marty-b/

To the tune of the Beatles "Let it Be"

MARTY B.

When I turn my radio on in the summer, little Marty speaks to me,
barking words of wisdom, Marty B.
And in his sour darkness he is older than the tallest tree,
knew Rixey, Roush and Pinson and Bid McPhee.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., Marty B.
Mahogany leather skin, Marty B.

He tends to use the phrase “you people” when he’s speaking grumpily,
tiny like a ballet dancer, Marty B.
Franchester’s what they called him, his hair is as white as clean new sheets,
you’ll rarely hear him stammer. Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., he’s the long-time Reds announcer, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., too small to be a bouncer, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B. yeah Marty B., spittin’ words of venom, Marty B.

And when he’s Mr. Frowny, he is still all right, all right with me,
outlived Greta Garbo, Marty B.
I love his hair, the way he poofs it, little Marty is handsome ya see,
Golden girls adore him, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B. yeah Marty B. he uses perfect grammar, Marty B.

Marty B. Marty B., Marty B., yeah Marty B., he owns a little hamster, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., yeah Marty B., yeah Marty B., he wears a suit of denim, Marty B.

:laugh::laugh:

Unassisted
06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Grande > Thom

Thom's shtick is to tell us something is terrible, use longer words to say the same thing and then raise his voice by an octave and underscore the point a third time. I'd rather watch a game with Li'l Georgie Sunshine than endure Thom's errant harangues.

Redsfaithful
06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
I like everyone but Thom. I don't need to agree 100% with an announcer (I don't with Marty at all, but I still love the guy).

Nuxhall was a horrible announcer, but I still miss him. I don't know, to me it's about familiarity, these guys get to be like family. I think that's why I can generally forgive their faults.

GADawg
06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
i think Kelch should thank all the other losers for participating. I grew up with Marty and I at least respect the fact that he's not afraid to call out a player(be interesting to know how many confrontations there have been post rant)and his voice comforts me somehow....as for Grande I'm sure I'll throw up the next time he figures out a way to work in "a check up from the neck up"...he even has Welsh saying it. No comment on 'ole Chris by the way. As for Brantley i can stand him on radio but can't stand to watch him on TV...that lazy eye glance slowly into the camera thing is OLD. Casey is awesome except for the laughing hysterically at everything that comes out
of his own mouth thing.

gimme the Pirates announcers.

Caveat Emperor
06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Grande is the only Reds announcer with his own drinking game... ;)

Helps make the losses more tolerable.

Ghosts of 1990
06-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I miss Grande but it's because he is "Mr. Goodie Two Shoes".

Well said.

Blitz Dorsey
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Grande is just disingenuous with his audience and always has been. He acts like he's speaking to a bunch of baseball novices and is afraid to point out when even the slightest thing goes wrong. As many of the great announcers have proven over the years, there is a way to be critical at times, yet remain classy. There is certainly middle ground between "ripping the players incessantly" and "occasionally calling a spade a spade." With GG, he always tried to paint this rosy picture that wasn't always necessarily accurate. I just want my announcers to be down the middle. Be real. Kelch is very good.

At least Cairo saved GG from having a curse named after him though. I was getting worried for a minute.

WVRedsFan
06-19-2011, 11:35 PM
George = the same thing over and over and cheery even in defeat. I want him to hurt like I do.

Chris W = a guy who talks too much, but still enjoy.

Thom = anoying. His "JonnyO" routine is sickening. And yet, he's a homer. Just not a fan

Brantley = novice and learning. Can't do pbp, but his knowledge of the game impresses.

Kelch = has a voice that drives me up the wall. The inflections in his voice are simply off the wall, and sort of minor league. I do like his pbp, though.

Marty = Marty. Love the guy and hope his does games until he's 80. Or 90. I like his telling it like it is style and he really is not so bitter these days. He's entertaining which is what a radio guy is supposed to be. If he did straight pbp, listeners would tune out and only watch on TV. That said, I miss Joe.

Casey = I don't know. I used to teach school and had several (many) students like him. Always talking and laughing, but never any substance. Getting him on task is difficult. No thanks. Stay in Pittsburgh, Sean.

Truth is, for us that remember Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick on WLW-T years ago, all of these guys are better on TV. Of course back then we didn't see more than a handful of games anyway. Radio used to be Waite Hoyt and a bevy of sidekicks. Hoyt was a legend, but only the fact that he'd been with the Reds forever, he was nothing special except for rain delays and his stories. We are a lot better off than those days and most of the mjaor leagues in my opinion,

Ron Madden
06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
I'd put Jim Kelch at the top of my list of favorite Reds Announcers.

George Grande is a notch or two below Kelch on my scale. I can put up with Chris and Thom. The only thing between Marty and the bottom of my chart is Jeff Brantley.

reds44
06-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Me thinks if you heard Jim Kelch as much as you've heard the rest of them you'd hate him too.

The only people who like Georgey pooh are the ones who have forgotten what it's like to here him all the time, IMO. He is painful to listen to. He talks to us like we are all third graders. It's annoying.

cumberlandreds
06-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Grande > Thom

Thom's shtick is to tell us something is terrible, use longer words to say the same thing and then raise his voice by an octave and underscore the point a third time. I'd rather watch a game with Li'l Georgie Sunshine than endure Thom's errant harangues.

I agree with this comment. I would rather unabashed optimism and sunshine compared to Thom's endless rants that are usually about nothing important to the game. Yes, Grande is cliche ridden and can get on your nerves but I will take him over Thom all the time.

RichRed
06-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Thom is the absolute worst. Everything he says sounds obnoxious to me, and don't get me started on his "Oh Jonny!" routine.

I don't care for Grande but I feel a little guilty about it, because I'm sure he's as nice a guy as people who met him say he is. Still, I can't help but cringe at his trademark expressions.

Hap
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Have we ever had a Grande-bashing thread before?

RichRed
06-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Have we ever had a Grande-bashing thread before?

You should start one!

Nasty_Boy
06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I couldnt stand to watch the game with the sound on this weekend due to Cowboy being on TV... He just seems unprepared, he lacks knowledge about the players past, and his constant talking of ribs and ice cream kill me!

There was one instance that really got to me and some of you may think it's nothing... When he was talking about Heisey deserving/earning more playing time in the OF, he talked about him getting the same chance to fail and adjust that Stubbs and Bruce recieved. That's fine and I agree to some extent, but then he talked about how Heisey went through the same levels as Bruce and Stubbs and was the Reds minor league player of the year... He then said, the other guys can't say the same thing. I guess he forgot or just failed to mention that Bruce was the POY in all of MiLB... Little things like that really get to me. That and always pretending to know the thought process or the psyche of the players. I think he's mostly full of crap!

Redsfan320
06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I've already made my thoughts on the Reds broadcasters known here, but also wanted to mention that on MLB.com's "Free MLB.TV Game of the Day", if you're viewing the home video feed, one audio option is no broadcasters, just the sounds of the park. I rather like it. I really don't need broadcasters. :dunno:

The Voice of IH
06-20-2011, 01:39 PM

HERE HERE :beerme:

George is my childhood, stop taking a crap on it people.