PDA

View Full Version : Who gets up !st from AAA

wlf WV
06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Bailey doesn't count.Not who you think should,but who comes 1st.I say Dontrelle Willis.I wish Sappelt or Cozart.

swaisuc
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Make it a poll IMO. Could be a while for any of them outside of Bailey or more bullpen arms, but I guess I'll say Frazier.

brm7675
06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
If it's Willis we are in real trouble...:(

Reds
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Willis long relief out of the question?

brm7675
06-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Willis long relief out of the question?

There would be no relief is Willis was brought up, his days are over..

Newman4
06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Willis has been pitching pretty well. Days over at 29? If Wily Mo Pena at 29 can be called up to a MLB roster then I think there's hope for D Train lol.

Vottomatic
06-20-2011, 06:42 PM
It really depends on who up here gets injured. :thumbup:

Kiss the Baby00
06-20-2011, 06:42 PM
There would be no relief is Willis was brought up, his days are over..

he went 7 yesterday, walking 0 and allowing 1 ER. 2.5 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP on the season. While I don't think this will necessarily translate into this kind of success in the majors, I think calling him done is very unfair to his body of work on the season.

Pete4prez
06-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Alonzo, any body up for a Heisey/Alonzo platoon in left?

Maker_84
06-20-2011, 11:12 PM
at this point we need hitting over pitching. No threats in this offense besides Phillips and Votto

wlf WV
06-20-2011, 11:24 PM
I hope Willis is wrong,had to say someone, so I picked someone obscure.Although i,if he continues to pitch well his call up would not be a shock.

swaisuc
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Alonzo, any body up for a Heisey/Alonzo platoon in left?

Absolutely not. I'm ok with Alonso every day in LF or leaving him in AAA, but I'm not OK with stunting his development by not letting him face lefties.

bshall2105
06-21-2011, 12:06 PM
If it's Willis we are in real trouble...:(

somebody hasn't been following the Louisville Bats this season

DocRed
06-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Willis's control has been very good this year. his so/bb ratio is 2.54 and his SO/9 is 8.0.....2 very encouraging stats to me. I think he deserves a call up at the very least as a long man and spot starter. I would replace Fisher or Arredondo with him.

brm7675
06-21-2011, 02:41 PM
he went 7 yesterday, walking 0 and allowing 1 ER. 2.5 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP on the season. While I don't think this will necessarily translate into this kind of success in the majors, I think calling him done is very unfair to his body of work on the season.

A) Look at his body of work in the show over the past 5 years
B) pitching to AAA players is HUGLY different then pitching to players in the show.

brm7675
06-21-2011, 02:42 PM
somebody hasn't been following the Louisville Bats this season

don't need to know what he has done in AAA, I know what he has done in the majors over the past 5+ seasons...sorry you don't get better with age...

bshall2105
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
don't need to know what he has done in AAA, I know what he has done in the majors over the past 5+ seasons...sorry you don't get better with age...

If you look at his recent AAA numbers compared to this years there is no comparison. The guy has improved. I don't know if that will translate to the majors, but his production so far this year does not warrant being thrown out of the discussion.

brm7675
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
If you look at his recent AAA numbers compared to this years there is no comparison. The guy has improved. I don't know if that will translate to the majors, but his production so far this year does not warrant being thrown out of the discussion.

He is pitching to AAA level talent, how can you compare that to actual action against ML players. He can not pitch on the major league level anymore, and 5+ years of history proves that. I am unclear why people think someone of an advanced age gets better or regains what he had many moons ago. We have much better options over Mr. Willis. Let him stay in AAA and help them, we don't need him in Cincy.

The DARK
06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I see Willis as Balentien last season; a good option that will never be used due to more proven options being available. I only see him getting real time if we trade one of our main 6 starting pitchers and another gets injured for an extended period (where he'd be a better option than Lecure). With the time he's spent starting this year, I don't see a chance for him to get starts. Perhaps he can be thrown in with a trade, or left to help out Louisville in their playoff run.

Cozart, Frazier, and Francisco have the best chance to get promoted. All have power in some capacity that will be useful in Cincinnati. Frazier and Francisco are both more versatile and have been promoted already this season (thus not wasting an arb year), but Cozart plays a position of great need. I'm going to give Frazier my vote due to his defensive ability and Sweet's recommendation of him.

brm7675
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I see Willis as Balentien last season; a good option that will never be used due to more proven options being available. I only see him getting real time if we trade one of our main 6 starting pitchers and another gets injured for an extended period (where he'd be a better option than Lecure). With the time he's spent starting this year, I don't see a chance for him to get starts. Perhaps he can be thrown in with a trade, or left to help out Louisville in their playoff run.

Cozart, Frazier, and Francisco have the best chance to get promoted. All have power in some capacity that will be useful in Cincinnati. Frazier and Francisco are both more versatile and have been promoted already this season (thus not wasting an arb year), but Cozart plays a position of great need. I'm going to give Frazier my vote due to his defensive ability and Sweet's recommendation of him.

To me Willis value is in a trade, maybe a team hopeing to catch lighting in a bottle and needing a starter will part with something thinking he can still bring it...

bshall2105
06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
He is pitching to AAA level talent, how can you compare that to actual action against ML players. He can not pitch on the major league level anymore, and 5+ years of history proves that. I am unclear why people think someone of an advanced age gets better or regains what he had many moons ago. We have much better options over Mr. Willis. Let him stay in AAA and help them, we don't need him in Cincy.

Did you not see where I said "I don't know if it will translate to the majors" or where I compared his current AAA numbers to his AAA numbers of the past few years and not the ML numbers of the past few years. At least read the post before replying. I'm not saying he should be called up right away, I just think that he does not need to be thrown out of the discussion like you eagerly did in previous posts.

wlf WV
06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't think Willis is the answer...But,his problem has been lack of control,which seems to be rectified.WHIP 1.25 -54 SO in 61 Inns.Again,if he continues ,his call up would not be a surprise,just don't know who he replaces.

wlf WV
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I would venture to say Willis' numbers will improve.He probably didn't care that much about his numbers earlier in the year,just concentrated on what he needed to work on.

brm7675
06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Did you not see where I said "I don't know if it will translate to the majors" or where I compared his current AAA numbers to his AAA numbers of the past few years and not the ML numbers of the past few years. At least read the post before replying. I'm not saying he should be called up right away, I just think that he does not need to be thrown out of the discussion like you eagerly did in previous posts.

Yes he does. If this was say 2005 or even 2006 and I would say okay maybe, but it's not. He has SHOWN in numerous attempts he can no longer pitch on the ML level. We have data to prove this and I am unclear why you would even consider it given this data. Right now we have 7-8 guys who have much more ability to be starting pitchers on the ML level then Willis...

Homer
EV
Bronson
Wood
Leake
LeCure
Cueto

vottofan4life
06-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I think Homer eventually should be the closer next season since he is always on the DL. Or Travis Wood or Edinson Volquez need to be part of a trade to obtain an Ace like James Shields, Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, Chad Billingsley, Carlos Zambrano, Felix Hernandez or even a power hitter like Matt Kemp, Carlos Beltran, Andrew Mccutchen, David Wright, BJ Upton, or Carlos Quentin.

Oh and just to put in my 2 cents i believe it will be either Cozart that is brought up first unless a trade is made soon to make room for Mesoraco at catcher

UCBrownsfan
06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't think Willis is the answer...But,his problem has been lack of control,which seems to be rectified.WHIP 1.25 -54 SO in 61 Inns.Again,if he continues ,his call up would not be a surprise,just don't know who he replaces.

He has been 2nd in Cy Young balloting, and he's still under 30. If he regains his control, he can be a very strong ML pitcher. He's the perfect reclamation project. Still has a CAREER MLB ERA of 4.12 which is a solid 3-4 guy. Somewhere along the line his BB/9 jumped from 3.2 in the NL to 8.2 in the AL.

Even in AAA over the last few years his BB/9 have been about 6, and this year it's under 3. If he gets his control figured out, he is a great answer. He's had 4 consecutive years of sustained success. He's a guy that has it and has done it. The Reds plan with him seems to be a good one

bounty37h
06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
To me Willis value is in a trade, maybe a team hopeing to catch lighting in a bottle and needing a starter will part with something thinking he can still bring it...

You just trashed him for all he is worth but think another team would trade for him? Sounds like your a "this tastes like crap and there isn't enough of it" kinda guy?

Roush's socks
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
To answer the OP, I would say it depends on who gets injured. If no one gets injured I think the 1st one up will be Alonso in July, after he passes the period where the Reds don't lose an arbitration year by promoting him. I could also see Frazier getting a chance at some point as a LF/3B backup, but I'm not sure who he would replace.

As far as Willis goes, there have been many pitchers in the past who struggled with control while showing flashes of brilliance, who figured it out in the 28-20 year old range. This idea that he is old news and has proven he can't pitch in the MLB is crazy. I'm not saying the Reds should promote him, but he is making a case for it.

brm7675
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
I think Homer eventually should be the closer next season since he is always on the DL. Or Travis Wood or Edinson Volquez need to be part of a trade to obtain an Ace like

James Shields,

You see him as an ACE? I think he is very good, but ACE material? Right now I see 2 pitchers on our staff who are better then him.

Johan Santana,

Maybe 3-5 years ago, but now with injury issues and age I wouldn't touch him.

Francisco Liriano,

Way to many injury issues for me to touch

Chad Billingsley,

NIce pitcher, but again I see 3 pitchers already on our roster either as good if not better.

Carlos Zambrano,

Head case, want no part of him

Felix Hernandez

Great pitcher but think Seattle is going to keep him.

or even a power hitter like Matt Kemp, Carlos Beltran, Andrew Mccutchen, David Wright, BJ Upton, or Carlos Quentin.

Oh and just to put in my 2 cents i believe it will be either Cozart that is brought up first unless a trade is made soon to make room for Mesoraco at catcher

brm7675
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
You just trashed him for all he is worth but think another team would trade for him? Sounds like your a "this tastes like crap and there isn't enough of it" kinda guy?

there are a ton of stupid GM's in this league will take a gamble. Also there are teams with need for pitching who will take a gamble. We don't need to take a gamble when we have better options.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I was wrong.Cozart guys were right.No Dontrelle(the guy I picked) today.Maybe Sunday.