PDA

View Full Version : Scott Rolen's career is over!

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
He's a sinking ship who's taking the REDS down with him.

He already ruined....completely by himself....any playoff chances the REDS had last year.

Every great player gets a Dead-Cat-Bounce once during the end of their career. I predicted that Scott Rolen would get one (not two, as no Veteran ever gets more than one unless they do steroids), and Rolen had his already with the REDS.

I'm hoping Scott Rolen and Miguel Cairo and Edgar Renteria all get Major back injuries over the next week so that their aging bodies can be replaced. Their time is over. They are sinking ships. They are taking the REDS 2011 potential down with them.

brm7675
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I will agree with you on Rolen and Edgar, but not sure how you can be upset with the play of Cairo this season. He is versitile and produces when not asked to play day in and day out. For a bench role player, to me Cairo is very good and a key part of the bench.

mgbrown66
06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
He has really lost his power stroke this year and he has been frustrating to watch. However, the entire team looks like they got old in a hurry. At least Rolen doesn't make stupid, fundamental mistakes.

He wouldn't be terrible if you could hide him hitting 7th in your lineup.

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I will agree with you on Rolen and Edgar, but not sure how you can be upset with the play of Cairo this season. He is versitile and produces when not asked to play day in and day out. For a bench role player, to me Cairo is very good and a key part of the bench.

Only that if Rolen wasn't here, Cairo would play every day and then his weaknesses would be exposed.

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
He has really lost his power stroke this year and he has been frustrating to watch. However, the entire team looks like they got old in a hurry. At least Rolen doesn't make stupid, fundamental mistakes.

He wouldn't be terrible if you could hide him hitting 7th in your lineup.

We have too many guys trying to hide 7th in the lineup right now.

mgbrown66
06-22-2011, 03:08 PM
We have too many guys trying to hide 7th in the lineup right now.

Touche

brm7675
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Only that if Rolen wasn't here, Cairo would play every day and then his weaknesses would be exposed.

No if Rolen wasn't here I am thinking we would see either Frazier or Juan at 3rd. The Reds see Cairo as the true versitile backup, not an everyday starter.

R_Webb18
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
its not over until he retires

Stray
06-22-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure I follow you when you include Cairo on that list. As a bench and backup player you aren't going to get much better than him, anywhere in baseball.

Spaxspore
06-22-2011, 03:33 PM
who do we have to replace him? Francisco? From what ive seen he is worst.

Kevin1476
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
No if Rolen wasn't here I am thinking we would see either Frazier or Juan at 3rd. The Reds see Cairo as the true versitile backup, not an everyday starter.

I agree, a lot more pop in Francisco and Frazier's bat. I also cannot get over the fact that a guy that was throwing no harder then 86mph, held us to two ugly runs we were lucky to get.

Spaxspore
06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Yea their 3rd base man gave us those two runs... By all rights we should have been shut out.

Kevin1476
06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
who do we have to replace him? Francisco? From what ive seen he is worst.

Francisco does not have warning track power, he will deliver the long ball. He has not been healthy for an entire year. Defensively not as good as Rolen, but I trade the pop in his bat. I know it is AAA, but he hit two dingers last night.

knoonan991
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM

He already ruined....completely by himself....any playoff chances the REDS had last year.

Every great player gets a Dead-Cat-Bounce once during the end of their career. I predicted that Scott Rolen would get one (not two, as no Veteran ever gets more than one unless they do steroids), and Rolen had his already with the REDS.

I'm hoping Scott Rolen and Miguel Cairo and Edgar Renteria all get Major back injuries over the next week so that their aging bodies can be replaced. Their time is over. They are sinking ships. They are taking the REDS 2011 potential down with them.

You can't be any more wrong about Cairo IMO, the guy has been very valuable in his role on the roster.

You're saying he has no value because of what the Reds would theoretically do if Rolen wasn't playing? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM

I have to bump this to respond to the two people who asked me, "Why Cairo?".

knoonan991
06-22-2011, 03:54 PM

I think most bench players around the league would be "exposed" if they were forced to takeover as a starter. That's why they aren't starting every day.

bshall2105
06-22-2011, 03:59 PM
What do you propose they do to replace these players? You started a thread earlier in the week telling us how awful the AAA hitters have been recently, and now you want to get rid of three players on the ML roster. So if you're not going to call anybody up what would you do?

Vottomatic
06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I hope Scott retires at the end of the season. I appreciate his leadership, but I feel his skills have diminished to the point he needs to retire.

But I do think if we had a Matt Kemp type player batting 4th, and a leadoff hitting SS batting first, you could move Stubbs to 6th and Rolen to 7th in the lineup.

SS Cozart?
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Kemp
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs
3B Rolen
C Hernanigan or Hanoroco

brm7675
06-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I hope Scott retires at the end of the season. I appreciate his leadership, but I feel his skills have diminished to the point he needs to retire.

But I do think if we had a Matt Kemp type player batting 4th, and a leadoff hitting SS batting first, you could move Stubbs to 6th and Rolen to 7th in the lineup.

SS Cozart?
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Kemp
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs
3B Rolen
C Hernanigan or Hanoroco

I think Rolen would make a great coach, but sadly I don't see him retiring next year....:(

texasdave
06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Cairo has produced for the Reds. I didn't think he would but he has. I was wrong on Miggy.

R_Webb18
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
SS Cozart?
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Kemp
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs
3B Rolen
C Hernanigan or Hanoroco

i love that lineup. rolen would be pretty solid as 7 hitter just not a 5 or 6

Stray
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Yeah I get that but that isn't a fault of Cairo, that is a Rolen problem. We never signed Cairo with the intention of him being an everyday player. Both sides knew all along that he would be a backup and bench guy, and as far as that goes he's amazing.

Rolen sucking doesn't mean that if we forced Cairo into doing something that he shouldn't be asked to, and then failed, that Cairo is by some stretch of the imagination a team problem.

kwatson0013
06-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Frazier but not Francisco. Everytime up he tries to knock the cover off and strikes out. He would be like the second coming of Adam Dunn without the 40 homeruns a year.

kwatson0013
06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
how bout leading off for the reds, SS, Jose Reyes

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 05:28 PM
What do you propose they do to replace these players? You started a thread earlier in the week telling us how awful the AAA hitters have been recently, and now you want to get rid of three players on the ML roster. So if you're not going to call anybody up what would you do?

I posted that thread yesterday, and it covered only the games from June 16-20. That's Walt's job to figure out. But, with the plethora of Minor Leaguers of talent that the REDS have, there are plenty of options where Walt can trade away players being blocked by Votto, Bruce and Stubbs.

It's all irrelevant what I want because Hall-of-Fame players aren't traded away, unless they ask to be traded. They just keep putting up poor game after poor game until their career is run out.

I'd trade Alonso and others, along with Rolen (or release Rolen if you can't get someone to take him) and I'd release Gomes, Renteria, and Cairo. I'd bring up Sappelt, Frazier and Hermida.

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 05:29 PM

I'm sure a package could be put together to make that happen.

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah I get that but that isn't a fault of Cairo, that is a Rolen problem. We never signed Cairo with the intention of him being an everyday player. Both sides knew all along that he would be a backup and bench guy, and as far as that goes he's amazing.

Rolen sucking doesn't mean that if we forced Cairo into doing something that he shouldn't be asked to, and then failed, that Cairo is by some stretch of the imagination a team problem.

I'd keep Cairo if Baker would keep him on the bench as a Utility player.

brm7675
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM

Never happen and here is why:

1. Mets are not going to trade him unless they get bowled over by an offer which I wouldn't want the Reds to make

2. Reds are not in it for the short haul, they have no interest in rent a players

3. He is expensive.

brm7675
06-22-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd trade Alonso and others, along with Rolen (or release Rolen if you can't get someone to take him) and I'd release Gomes, Renteria, and Cairo. I'd bring up Sappelt, Frazier and Hermida.

How much this pains me to say this...Rolen is going nowhere. He was brought here by owners request. He was given an extension because of Bob. Scott will be at 3rd until Scott choses to retire which I see happening after the 2012 season.

Natty Redlocks
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Wow, what a great idea for a thread title. Next, someone should start one called "Dusty Baker Killed By Runaway Garbage Truck!"

RedLegsToday
06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing Frazier but not Francisco. Everytime up he tries to knock the cover off and strikes out. He would be like the second coming of Adam Dunn without the 40 homeruns a year.

And with about 100 fewer walks.

bounty37h
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM

I dont think he single handedly ruined last years playoffs, and to wish Major injury on someone, let alone 3 players on your own favorite team, wow man. I wouldnt wish 3 Major injuries on the Cards, let alone our own team (not to mention Cairo is a great sub/utility guy).

texasdave
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
If his career is indeed over let me be the first to tip my cap. It was one helluva ride for Mr. Rolen.
I personally feel that his arrival in Cincinnati turned the fortunes of this franchise around. Do we win the Central Division in 2010 with Edwin Encarnacion at third? Probably not. For that playoff appearance alone I will be eternally grateful.

Moosie52
06-23-2011, 12:29 PM

So, what are you saying? That Rolen is much better than Cairo?