PDA

View Full Version : OOTP12 is OUT! And I highly reccommend it.

LvJ
06-22-2011, 04:34 PM
So folks.. OOTP 12 was released today and it is AHHH-MAZZ-ING! :thumbup:

I started my Reds franchise and made a few moves:

- Traded Edgar Renteria to Oakland for OF Jeremy Barfield (AA)
Just wanted Edgar gone. Barfield may project as a backup OF/AAAA player. We'll see. Fair trade.

- Traded Edison Volquez, Jordan Smith and Kris Negron to Detroit for MR Daniel Schlereth, SP Drew Smyly (A), C Patrick Leyland (low A) and CF Jamie Johnson (AA).
Edison is my least favorite Red. Not because he sucks, I just don't like his attitude. He is rated fairly decently in this game, as he should be. Smyly projects to be a potential #3 starter in the bigs in about ~3 years. Leyland has good potential, but is pretty far out. Johnson, I hope will be starting CF next season for me. Has a great eye, great glove and great speed. Schelereth is a top of the line middle reliever and is currently setting up Cordero for me. He's young and should be my Closer soon. Fair trade, I do believe. Tigers rotation is pretty crazy.

- Traded Roman Herandnez to Los Angeles Dodgers for SS Jake Lemmerman (AA).
Simply a salary/player dump. Love Ramon, but I wanted Mes on the big team. Lemmerman is 21 and has some mild potential. Could be a backup or utility in a few years.

That's all the trades I made. Had to get the team how I wanted it to be to start the season.

My lineup:
Stubbs, CF
Phillips, 2B
Votto, 1B
Bruce, RF
Rolen, 3B
Cozart, SS
Hanigan, C
Lewis, LF (Gomes vs. LHP)

I'm going to bring Alonso up in a few weeks I imagine.

Bench: Janish, Mes, Heisley, Cario, Gomes, Francisco.

Rotation:
Cueto
Bailey
Chapman
Arroyo
Leake

Pen:
Cordero
Schlereth
Bray
Masset
Ondrusek
Wood

:beerme:

First game of the season was INTENSE!

Take a look:

http://designatedforassignment.net/ootp/OpeningDay.shtml

Fred Lewis for the win. :thumbup:

jmcclain19
06-23-2011, 01:10 AM
I've been hooked on the iPhone version for weeks. Buying that app was one of my worst decisions ever.

KronoRed
06-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Looking at the 'new' features I actually think I'll be skipping this one, at least until the half off sale they will have a few months, nothing really ground breaking to me to make an upgrade from 11 worth it.

reds1869
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Looking at the 'new' features I actually think I'll be skipping this one, at least until the half off sale they will have a few months, nothing really ground breaking to me to make an upgrade from 11 worth it.

It may look like not much has changed, but I can't even begin to describe how much better this version plays. I highly recommend it.

LvJ
06-23-2011, 05:09 PM
It may look like not much has changed, but I can't even begin to describe how much better this version plays. I highly recommend it.
Agreed. Better than 11 in a number of ways and it's worth the $40.

reds1869
06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh, and according to my season thus far this Heisey kid might have a little bit of power. :D

LvJ
06-24-2011, 02:18 AM
Oh, and according to my season thus far this Heisey kid might have a little bit of power. :D
He needs to pick it up for me. :(

My best hitter thus far:

Joey Votto, leading every category in the majors pretty much.

.415 AVG, .500 OBP, 1.269 OPS, 6 HR, 13 RBI in 65 AB. :eek:

gilpdawg
06-24-2011, 05:09 AM
They don't let you try it before you buy it? I downloaded it, and figured there was a trial period before you have to register it, and every option is blacked out. Don't know how they expect me to drop 40 bones sight unseen. This is why people torrent stuff.

LvJ
06-24-2011, 07:34 AM
They don't let you try it before you buy it? I downloaded it, and figured there was a trial period before you have to register it, and every option is blacked out. Don't know how they expect me to drop 40 bones sight unseen. This is why people torrent stuff.

There is usually a demo every year. Maybe try the OOTP11 demo if there isn't a 12 yet. I've been buying since OOTP7 and it's absolutely the best game, as a baseball nerd, I've ever "experienced".

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Curt Schilling agrees:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-12-general-discussions/210366-only-baseball-sim-ive-ever-gotten-addicted.html

Redsfan320
06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
So this OOTP thing is like The Show, but without actually playing the baseball games?

reds1869
06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
So this OOTP thing is like The Show, but without actually playing the baseball games?

It is a text sim. You can be as hands on or off as you like from a management perspective. I play out every at bat as the manager but a lot of people sim seasons and act solely as GM. It is extremely addictive.

Redsfan320
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
It is a text sim. You can be as hands on or off as you like from a management perspective. I play out every at bat as the manager but a lot of people sim seasons and act solely as GM. It is extremely addictive.

I see. Sounds cool.

LvJ
06-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Curt Schilling agrees:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-12-general-discussions/210366-only-baseball-sim-ive-ever-gotten-addicted.html

:thumbup:

jwdoc77
06-25-2011, 10:02 AM
So is this a lot better than Baseball Mogul or are the pretty similar. I have been playing Mogul for years now and love it. Only thing that I dont like in BM is from a GM perspective it is unrealistic with no waivers and options never coming in to play. Does this have that?

reds1869
06-25-2011, 10:28 AM
So is this a lot better than Baseball Mogul or are the pretty similar. I have been playing Mogul for years now and love it. Only thing that I dont like in BM is from a GM perspective it is unrealistic with no waivers and options never coming in to play. Does this have that?

Baseball Mogul is a teeball league compared to OOTP's MLB. OOTP is incredibly deep and the options for rules are pretty wide open. The MLB quick start mimics real life pretty realistically.

LvJ
06-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Oh man, so much better and more in depth.

Added this year is even the option of rehab assignments in the minors and contract vesting options.

Geeet it!

jwdoc77
06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh man, so much better and more in depth.

Added this year is even the option of rehab assignments in the minors and contract vesting options.

Geeet it!

This sounds pretty cool, im pumped...I found '11 for mac thru the apps page...wonder if '12 is just not out yet for mac as I dont see it on there.

LvJ
06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
This sounds pretty cool, im pumped...I found '11 for mac thru the apps page...wonder if '12 is just not out yet for mac as I dont see it on there.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball/downloads.php

jwdoc77
06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball/downloads.php

So i got the game and have been playing. Not sure I like it mainly becuase of 1 reason. 20 games into my first season and Votto tore his labrum....guess how long he is out? Forever, he decided to retire. :(

LvJ
06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
So i got the game and have been playing. Not sure I like it mainly becuase of 1 reason. 20 games into my first season and Votto tore his labrum....guess how long he is out? Forever, he decided to retire. :( Oh man! That stinks. Well, I'm all for realistic game play and you take what you get, BUT - personally, I wouldn't allow that to be the case.

You can edit his injury and make it only for the season (or however long you wish) and put him back on your team. ;)

jwdoc77
06-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Oh man! That stinks. Well, I'm all for realistic game play and you take what you get, BUT - personally, I wouldn't allow that to be the case.

You can edit his injury and make it only for the season (or however long you wish) and put him back on your team. ;)

Yeah...i think I am just going to start fresh...I was only 20 games in :D

Redsfan320
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
How much does it cost?

LvJ
06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
How much does it cost?

320 $39.99

Also the cost of a divorce lawyer or whatever your job is worth to you, cause you will be addicted.

Redsfan320
06-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Also the cost of a divorce lawyer or whatever your job is worth to you, cause you will be addicted.

Dude, I'm a kid in the summer with no job or social life whatsoever. I've got all the time in the world. And I've owned OOTP12 for all of 15 minutes now, and I'm already addicted... but also kinda confused and overwhelmed. Any 1st-timer tips are much appreciated.

Oh, 1 question- why are all the team logos fake?

Another question- can you edit player numbers?

reds1869
06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Dude, I'm a kid in the summer with no job or social life whatsoever. I've got all the time in the world. And I've owned OOTP12 for all of 15 minutes now, and I'm already addicted... but also kinda confused and overwhelmed. Any 1st-timer tips are much appreciated.

Oh, 1 question- why are all the team logos fake?

Another question- can you edit player numbers?

Below is a helpful website that is essential if you play OOTP. It is official and the creator of the series posts regularly. As for the logos, they are fake due to licensing restrictions. A poke around the mods section of the forums will help solve that in a hurry. To edit a player number, go to his profile page and choose "assign jersey number" in the lower right hand portion of the screen (or act in commissioner mode and edit his profile in the player editor).

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/

Also, Padres Fans Mods (http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/OOTPMods/Main.html)is excellent. It is thin on 12 files, but things for OOTP 11 will work great for the most part.

Redsfan320
06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Below is a helpful website that is essential if you play OOTP. It is official and the creator of the series posts regularly. As for the logos, they are fake due to licensing restrictions. A poke around the mods section of the forums will help solve that in a hurry. To edit a player number, go to his profile page and choose "assign jersey number" in the lower right hand portion of the screen (or act in commissioner mode and edit his profile in the player editor).

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/

Also, Padres Fans Mods (http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/OOTPMods/Main.html)is excellent. It is thin on 12 files, but things for OOTP 11 will work great for the most part.

Thanks a lot, 1869. Much appreciated.

Redsfan320
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Guys, go ahead and roast me alive for my first ever OOTP trade, which I made 4 weeks into the Reds 2011 season:

Alonso, Hernandez, and Hermida for

Mike Cameron and 3B prospect David Renfroe.

Renfroe is still in A-ball but with a ton of potential. I "shopped" Alonso, and BOS said they'd take him for Renfroe. I added in Hernandez and Cameron, so I could call up Mes and help the OF (Heisey's been really struggling for me), then proposed the trade. Theo Epstein e-mailed back and said he'd do it if I added Hermida. So I did.

Also, why are all the opposing GMs so... grumpy.

reds1869
06-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Guys, go ahead and roast me alive for my first ever OOTP trade, which I made 4 weeks into the Reds 2011 season:

Renfroe is still in A-ball but with a ton of potential. I "shopped" Alonso, and BOS said they'd take him for Renfroe. I added in Hernandez and Cameron, so I could call up Mes and help the OF (Heisey's been really struggling for me), then proposed the trade. Theo Epstein e-mailed back and said he'd do it if I added Hermida. So I did.

You haven't lived until you've set trading to "Very Hard, Favor Prospects." Then get back to me about grumpy GMs! ;)

Redsfan320
06-27-2011, 04:07 PM
You haven't lived until you've set trading to "Very Hard, Favor Prospects." Then get back to me about grumpy GMs!

LOL, I mean its not that they're disagreeable, just grumpy about it.

Anyway, about a month later, I called up Cozart, sent down Janish, and sat Renteria's butt on the bench. He sends me an email about wanting to be in the lineup, hating coming to the ballpark, and hoping he gets the respect he deserves. I promptly traded him to the Royals for a very high potential starter named Jake Odorizzi.

LvJ
06-27-2011, 05:00 PM

That's a smart and fair trade, IMO. Good work.

What is your rotation?

Redsfaithful
06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Anyone here play in online leagues? I used to do that, probably all the way back in OOTP 6, but just haven't had the time in recent years. It was a pretty fun hobby.

LvJ
06-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Anyone here play in online leagues? I used to do that, probably all the way back in OOTP 6, but just haven't had the time in recent years. It was a pretty fun hobby. I use to as well.

We should get a RedsZone league going.

Redsfan320
06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
That's a smart and fair trade, IMO. Good work.

What is your rotation?

Thanks.

And my current MLB (Reds) rotation is: Arroyo, Cueto, Maloney, Volquez, Bailey; with Wood on the DL, LeCure in the pen, and Leake in LOU.

reds1869
06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
I use to as well.

We should get a RedsZone league going.

That would be a blast! I've always wanted to wade into the online league water but have never figured out when/how. A RedsZone league would be excellent and a really fun idea. With the first major patch coming Thursday I think we will have the opportunity to set such a thing up if there is interest.

Redsfaithful
06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
I'd probably consider a RedsZone league also, although I have to say, I always played in fictional leagues, which I'm not sure would be popular enough here to recruit enough members. From what I saw real leagues fell apart pretty quickly from having to have so many owners, some having to take weak teams, etc. A fictional league you start from scratch so it starts on a little more equal footing, and you can enact some interesting scenarios.

reds1869
06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
I'd probably consider a RedsZone league also, although I have to say, I always played in fictional leagues, which I'm not sure would be popular enough here to recruit enough members. From what I saw real leagues fell apart pretty quickly from having to have so many owners, some having to take weak teams, etc. A fictional league you start from scratch so it starts on a little more equal footing, and you can enact some interesting scenarios.

In single player fictional is the way I prefer to play, so I'd imagine it would be great for online as well. If more people would give fictional a shot I think they'd find they like it.

Prf15
06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Online leagues is the only way I can play the game nowadays. Being able to build your own team and compete against 30 other owners is just awesome.

LvJ
06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
So I imagine it would be hard getting enough owners for a RZ only league, right?

Redsfan320
06-29-2011, 09:18 PM
So I imagine it would be hard getting enough owners for a RZ only league, right?

Yeah, I prob. wouldn't do one right now... just not familiar enough with the game yet.

BTW, feel free to join me, reds1869, and hebroncougar here. (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/)

Also, someone posts there under the name "perfectDARK", not sure if that's the same person as Sun Decker "theDARK" or not.

LvJ
06-29-2011, 09:19 PM
I am "0-2, 2 BB" at the OOTP forums. :beerme:

Zeta16
06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
I would play, but only have OTTP 5 and I am in several leagues there, that version is free and I think is more fun than the newer versions.

reds1869
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I would play, but only have OTTP 5 and I am in several leagues there, that version is free and I think is more fun than the newer versions.

OOTP 5 was a lot of fun, as were all of the older versions. There are still many people who consider 6 the best edition ever. I agreed until 11, which I think has been passed by 12.

KronoRed
06-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I still think 6.5 was the most fun, I enjoy the added on features of 7 to 11 (not gonna buy 12) but 6.5 was the easiest one to just open and go.

HotCorner
07-01-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm in two OOTP online leagues currently, HBL and APBL. Competing against other live "GM's" is very entertaining. I have even competed against a few RedZoners in these leagues.

reds1869
07-01-2011, 09:04 AM
The newest patch came out yesterday and already Markus is working on an update for today. The bugs that are being fixed would be completely ignored by most companies, and Markus is adding new features to boot. I've never experienced better customer service!

Zeta16
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I still think 6.5 was the most fun, I enjoy the added on features of 7 to 11 (not gonna buy 12) but 6.5 was the easiest one to just open and go.

I think I have played 6, owned 8 I think or 7, but I hate the scout scale 20 to 80. I like ones based on 1 to 10 or 1 to 100. Can't tell you why I just do not like the scout scale.

RedsManRick
07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Would every owner need to have OOTP?

I'm in two sim leagues (http://www.reynlow.com/prime/prime.asp) that are awesome, but they use some old school software and don't have the bells and whistles OOTP does.

I'd be in either way.

jwdoc77
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
So I am hooked on this game now. Won the 2012 World Series last night with the Reds. Its such a fun realistic game. I feel like I only use about a quarter of all the features I could though. There are so many :)

BoydsOfSummer
07-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I bought v11 a couple months ago, I had a couple of the earlier versions also. It's an awesome GM sim, but lacking in the actual playing of games. But I'm used to thousands and thousands of Diamond Mind games and am spoiled in that regard. Want a killer GM sim, this is the choice far and away. Want to replay seasons and manage games--Diamond Mind and Strat are your go-to's there.

I play in three Diamond Mind leagues but have never tried an OOTP league. I could be easily convinced to join a Redszone OOTP league probably.

cincyinco
07-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I bought v11 a couple months ago, I had a couple of the earlier versions also. It's an awesome GM sim, but lacking in the actual playing of games. But I'm used to thousands and thousands of Diamond Mind games and am spoiled in that regard. Want a killer GM sim, this is the choice far and away. Want to replay seasons and manage games--Diamond Mind and Strat are your go-to's there.

I play in three Diamond Mind leagues but have never tried an OOTP league. I could be easily convinced to join a Redszone OOTP league probably.

We've talked before but I agree with you on Diamond Mind. However last I understood it they stopped making their projection system and you had to use third party projections like Zips? Is that still the case? Unfortunately I have dropped out of the leagues I participated in due to time constraints.

BoydsOfSummer
07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Cincy, yeah I do believe the projection seasons are no longer produced.I only used it once for a league I was in. But I get Dan Z's ZiIPS disk every year and fool around with it. My opinion is that it's as good as DMB's projection disk if not better--and free. Dayne Myers has taken the DMB product and done his best to ruin it. His name is cursed in the DMB circle I run with.

VottoFan54
03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Anyone getting OOTP 13? I already preordered mine :D. Sounds like it should be released in early April.

AtomicDumpling
10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
OOTP 14 is now on sale for half price ($20). I just bought it and am trying to figure out the best way to play. Help!

reds1869
10-25-2013, 08:22 PM
OOTP 14 is now on sale for half price ($20). I just bought it and am trying to figure out the best way to play. Help!

The MLB QuickStart this year is really fun. Fictional is also a blast.

AtomicDumpling
10-25-2013, 08:37 PM
The MLB QuickStart this year is really fun. Fictional is also a blast.

I am leaning towards fictional. Should I use the fictional download or start my own?

reds1869
10-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I am leaning towards fictional. Should I use the fictional download or start my own?

Depends how creative you want to be. The included fictional and historical setups are fun but kind of vanilla. I've loved the Kalama QuickStart in the past (he didn't update it for 14 but you can convert the file) but am just now playing around with my own setup. Check out the mods section of the OOTP forums, there is a lot of good stuff to play with there.

AtomicDumpling
10-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Depends how creative you want to be. The included fictional and historical setups are fun but kind of vanilla. I've loved the Kalama QuickStart in the past (he didn't update it for 14 but you can convert the file) but am just now playing around with my own setup. Check out the mods section of the OOTP forums, there is a lot of good stuff to play with there.

I created a new fictional league. I left most of the settings at the default. I am playing as the Cincinnati Reds even though all the players are fictional.

I didn't install the All In One update until after I had created the league, so the logos and ballparks and things like that are generic. I like the game a lot. I am still learning all the features. I have played it about 16 of the 24 hours since I installed the game. LOL

I am in June of my first season already. Just finished the Amateur Draft. I hope my scouting director knows his stuff.

hebroncougar
11-05-2013, 01:24 PM
I created a new fictional league. I left most of the settings at the default. I am playing as the Cincinnati Reds even though all the players are fictional.

I didn't install the All In One update until after I had created the league, so the logos and ballparks and things like that are generic. I like the game a lot. I am still learning all the features. I have played it about 16 of the 24 hours since I installed the game. LOL

I am in June of my first season already. Just finished the Amateur Draft. I hope my scouting director knows his stuff.

I'd sim about 20 years, then jump into a fictional league. Take a look at the history, rename awards after great players, etc. It really helps with the immersion. Great, great game.

AtomicDumpling
11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
I'd sim about 20 years, then jump into a fictional league. Take a look at the history, rename awards after great players, etc. It really helps with the immersion. Great, great game.

Renaming the awards is a great idea.

I am now in my 8th season already. I quick-sim all the regular season games one by one and examine the box scores after every game. I play out the playoff games manually.

My team has done quite well, having made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years including one World Series title. The Milwaukee Brewers somehow ended up as the big market powerhouse in this fictional league and they are in the same division as my Reds of course. They have had the best record in baseball every single year except one, and that was the year I won the World Series. I have made the playoffs 6 times but 5 of those have been as the first Wild Card because those dang Brewers always finish ahead of me.

One thing I have noticed is that free agency has run amok. It seems like half the players in the league are free agents in any given offseason. Before this season I decided to change the free agency eligibility to 7 years of service time (it was 5). Hopefully this will calm things down a bit.

My team has run into payroll difficulties. I don't spend any money on the free agent market but it has become very difficult to afford the costs of keeping all my good players under contract. It takes a few seasons to figure out how all the financial aspects of the game function, but I think I am getting the hang of it now.

My player Howard Garner is the all-time career leader in OPS and wOBA and is 3rd in VORP. For some reason he has not played at a star level the last 1.5 years despite his ratings staying the same as before. Maybe I should change my hitting coach. :p

I find the game to be tons of fun. The game results and season stats seem very realistic. The options are endless. I could tinker with this game for eons.

hebroncougar
11-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Renaming the awards is a great idea.

I am now in my 8th season already. I quick-sim all the regular season games one by one and examine the box scores after every game. I play out the playoff games manually.

My team has done quite well, having made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years including one World Series title. The Milwaukee Brewers somehow ended up as the big market powerhouse in this fictional league and they are in the same division as my Reds of course. They have had the best record in baseball every single year except one, and that was the year I won the World Series. I have made the playoffs 6 times but 5 of those have been as the first Wild Card because those dang Brewers always finish ahead of me.

One thing I have noticed is that free agency has run amok. It seems like half the players in the league are free agents in any given offseason. Before this season I decided to change the free agency eligibility to 7 years of service time (it was 5). Hopefully this will calm things down a bit.

My team has run into payroll difficulties. I don't spend any money on the free agent market but it has become very difficult to afford the costs of keeping all my good players under contract. It takes a few seasons to figure out how all the financial aspects of the game function, but I think I am getting the hang of it now.

My player Howard Garner is the all-time career leader in OPS and wOBA and is 3rd in VORP. For some reason he has not played at a star level the last 1.5 years despite his ratings staying the same as before. Maybe I should change my hitting coach. :p

I find the game to be tons of fun. The game results and season stats seem very realistic. The options are endless. I could tinker with this game for eons.

I always play with reserve clause financials and limit my trading. That way I have to build with the draft, and can't go crazy in FA. I turn the scouting off, can't stand it. I play with actual ratings off, but potential ratings on.