PDA

View Full Version : Another trade - would you do it?

Vottomatic
06-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Matt Kemp straight up for Stubbs and Heisey.

Dodgers have Gwynn, Jr., Kemp, and Ethier in their outfield. Gwynn has no power and isn't very good. Dodgers unload salary and get a cheap first round pick in Stubbs and a quality cheap outfielder in Heisey.

Reds get their 4-hole hitter to protect Votto.

Would you do it?

Redsnake
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Dodgers have Gwynn, Jr., Kemp, and Ethier in their outfield. Gwynn has no power and isn't very good. Dodgers unload salary and get a cheap first round pick in Stubbs and a quality cheap outfielder in Heisey.

Would you do it?

Probably not.
I would rather package Alonso, Heisey, and two top AAA prospect not named Mesoraco for Kemp.
Dodgers make payroll and Reds have one of, if not the best offensive outfields in all of baseball.

Then the Reds can address the SS position.

Redsnake
06-22-2011, 06:08 PM
I should say CF isn't a position of need. By swapping a position of stength for the same position does only so much and adding payroll isn't the right move. Why add payroll if your not addressing your main needs at weaker positions (SS, LF).

I would rather keep Stubbs and deal Heisey for Ludwick, then have a outfield of Gomes and Kemp.

brm7675
06-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Would you do it?

Nope, don't give up Stubbs. I would offer them say Heisey, LeCure and maybe Sapplet for Kemp.

CincyRed44
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Ummmmm... No.... I agree with previous poster why trade for a defensive downgrade at a significant boost to payroll, while still having major issues at other positions.

I believe "IF" Stubbs ever learns to cut down his exorbitant K rate he will be the best at his position in this generation. The talent is there, but I wonder if his grey matter processes the possibilities of what "could be" if he'd just put the ball in play. His pitch recognition needs improvement and cutting down that swing especially when he has two strikes are points he needs to focus ardently upon during batting practice and games.

As for the trade I'd love to have Matt Kemp but not if Drew Stubbs in the deal. I could see Heisey or Sappelt and Alonso for starters peaking their interests since they need a young, power hitting 1b and a left fielder.

bshall2105
06-22-2011, 07:51 PM
If there was not a huge salary difference then I'd make the trade. Kemp is one of the best players in baseball right now and is the same age as Stubbs. Stubbs' speed would be missed but since trading Heisey would open a roster spot I'd call up Sappelt and bat him first.

A top 4 like this looks pretty good
1.Sappelt CF
2. Phillips
3.Votto
4.Kemp LF

BluegrassRedleg
06-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. (One for each day of the week.)

I can't believe there's actually arguments against it. Absolutely baffled.

Drew Stubbs has taken on Paul Bunyon status among some corners of our fan base.

Old NDN
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Yes, but I don't think the Dodgers would do it. They would want a better return than Stubbs and Heisey.

The DARK
06-22-2011, 08:17 PM
No, and I'm disregarding how valuable Kemp is here, because this trade leaves us with no center fielders (the most important OF position) beyond Sappelt. That's unacceptable.

Stubbs has 10 home runs and more than 20 steals on the year, while keeping a respectable average and playing above average defense. He's not an ideal leadoff hitter, but he's still very young and is very valuable to this Reds team. For a player of his caliber who will be under team control for as long as him, some serious talent needs to be shelled out.

How long would we have Kemp in this situation? We almost certainly can't afford to resign him when his contract does run out, so he'd better have a good 2 or 3 years left after this season.

mu4103
06-22-2011, 08:34 PM
No doubter - don't think the Dodgers would do it, honestly. I think it would take more minor league prospects. Heisey, the catcher (I can't spell his name), and Alonso would be a start, I think Stubbs loses trade value because of his K's. I think the deal could be done without Stubbs.

DocRed
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
I will answer this by looking at it from the other side...there is no way in hell the Dodgers would do it.

LexRedsFan
06-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Does EV have any trade value left? Would you guys be willing to part with him?

Just curious...

Old NDN
06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Does EV have any trade value left? Would you guys be willing to part with him?

Just curious...

In a flash.....if including him in a trade would get the Reds a better "piece to the puzzle".

Pony Boy
06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
If there was not a huge salary difference then I'd make the trade. Kemp is one of the best players in baseball right now and is the same age as Stubbs. Stubbs' speed would be missed but since trading Heisey would open a roster spot I'd call up Sappelt and bat him first.

A top 4 like this looks pretty good
1.Sappelt CF
2. Phillips
3.Votto
4.Kemp LF

Sappelt would be a major defensive downgrade in CF. He is a very good corner outfielder, but he would be a below average CF. He is completely unproven offensively. I would try to sell them a package built around two of Alonso, Heisey, Wood and Leake and leave Stubbs out of the discussion.

wlf WV
06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I would,if I could man center field.Maybe keep Hiesey and substitute a pitcher.

roby
06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
I would,if I could man center field.Maybe keep Hiesey and substitute a pitcher.

Grammar rule: i before e except after c, and when spelling Heisey> lol

swaisuc
06-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. (One for each day of the week.)

I can't believe there's actually arguments against it. Absolutely baffled.

Drew Stubbs has taken on Paul Bunyon status among some corners of our fan base.

Exactly. No question in my mind this would be "selling high" on Stubbs.

I'm curious why everyone seems to think Kemp wouldn't be capable of playing center here.

Girevik
06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Biggest problem with that trade is that it doesn't solve the LF problem. Sure, Kemp is an improvement over Stubbs (at least right now), but I'd much rather make a deal that nets an extra OF to fill that hole in left.

bshall2105
06-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Biggest problem with that trade is that it doesn't solve the LF problem. Sure, Kemp is an improvement over Stubbs (at least right now), but I'd much rather make a deal that nets an extra OF to fill that hole in left.

I like the trade because it improves CF and opens a spot for Alonso or Sappelt to play LF.

Girevik
06-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm just not sure I like counting on a guy with zero major league experience to start on a contending team. Plus Gomes is still there and I think if the Reds saw either of those guys as an upgrade they'd be playing. If that trade were made we'd seen Gomes\Lewis in LF and Kemp in CF.

LexRedsFan
06-23-2011, 03:36 PM
In a flash.....if including him in a trade would get the Reds a better "piece to the puzzle".

I tend to agree with you.

If the Dodgers absolutely had to have him in a package to get Kemp, for example...I'd do it in a heartbeat.

smixsell
06-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Would you do it?

No way. Stubbs is going to be a 30-30 guy and a gold glover within the next 1-3 years