PDA

View Full Version : Cozart Up Friday?

reds44
06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
John Fay "senses" it.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/06/22/guessing-you-could-see-cozart

I think you could see Zack Cozart in a Reds uniform by the time the club gets to Baltimore. I don’t know that for sure, but I get that sense.

The club is struggling so badly offensively that it needs some sort of spark. Cozart could provide it. He’s hitting .320 with 25 doubles, seven home runs and 29 RBI at Triple- A Louisville.

To make such a move, the Reds would likely have to designate Edgar Renteria for assignment. That means they’d have to pay the balance of Renteria’s salary.

But keep two things in mind: a) The money has already been budgeted and b) the Reds need to keep drawing to meet the budget long-term. Falling out of the race would be devastating to attendance.

Shortstops Renteria and Paul Janish are both hitting below .230 and neither has a home run. They’ve also have combined 15 errors.

For the record, Cozart was not in the lineup in AAA today.

Spitball
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
John Fay "senses" it.

:thumbup:

mth123
06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Janish just got a hit. Postpone this idea for another month.

Superdude
06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
:KoolAid:

I thought Walt was happy with what he had? That liar!

CTA513
06-22-2011, 08:50 PM

thats 2 hits for Reds shortstops today.

:rockband:

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I wonder what number he'll wear...

reds44
06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Are you implying something?

And I vote number 2.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh no, I'm not implying anything at all. I haven't heard anything.

And anyway, Janish has two hits tonight, see you in September Cozy.

IslandRed
06-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Not that beat writers are never wrong on this sort of thing, but they usually won't go out on a limb like that unless they're hearing it around the clubhouse, even if no one's willing to directly talk about it on or off the record. One can hope.

mth123

2 Hits tonight. See ya in 2012 Zach.

reds44
Janish with 2 hits tonight. So much for this.

BearcatShane
06-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Janish can hit all he wants. Edgar will be the one getting DFA and Janish and Cozart will split starts.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Well I don't trust Fay and them. They are really brutal.

westofyou
06-22-2011, 09:38 PM

Hits?

Who cares about hits/

He's as good as Larkin, a notch below Davey with the glove.

Or so I have hard.

Stay gold Poneyboy, stay gold.....

OldXOhio
06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
They haven't allowed an entire season's worth of lousy to affect their judgment to this point, so why worry about one game that happens to go the other way?

Roy Tucker
06-22-2011, 09:44 PM
I love it when a reporter has a solid base of facts when writing a story.

Makes for a professional image. That John Fay is a gem.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Or when a fan asked when Cozart was returning from his injury and he responded by saying in a week or so. He was activated that night. Good job kid.

OldXOhio
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM

It's a blog man....a free call option. Say whatever the hell you want, there's no accountability in a blog.

Sheesh

reds44
06-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I honestly think Fay knows something here.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
He may.

redsmetz
06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
oops. wrong thread.

BearcatShane
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Fay was on the radio with Marty earlier and said he just had a hunch with the way the offense was struggling and how the shortstops were underpreforming that it would be a good time to make the change.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Ok, now that I sit here and think about it, it's probably Fay just being Fay. He has nothing to go on and just felt like blogging and stir the pot. It's not gonna happen. He needs to stop it though. He's the worse.

Roy Tucker
06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
It's a blog man....a free call option. Say whatever the hell you want, there's no accountability in a blog.

Sheesh

Yeah, I know. But the man is a professional journalist and its the Enquirer web site. No time to abandon journalistic discipline. Be a pro, Leave the seat of the pants feelings for us RedsZone bozos.

OldXOhio
06-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I know. But the man is a professional journalist and its the Enquirer web site. No time to abandon journalistic discipline. Be a pro, Leave the seat of the pants feelings for us RedsZone bozos.

I'm with ya...I was being sarcastic.

kbrake
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
I thought there was something for Fay to go on or he wouldn't stir the pot like that. He knows how annoyed Reds fans are right now with the SS situation. If nothing happens, Fay will get an internet beat down and deservedly so.

Superdude
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM

I was assuming it was something he heard from a good source, but Fay was trying to be somewhat tactful in the delivery since it's not technically announced yet. Or maybe he's just stirring the pot. I don't know why I'm expecting the best from a guy with a dozen misspellings in every article.

Spitball
06-22-2011, 10:20 PM
And I vote number 2.

After Lopez, Clayton, Gonzalez, and Cabrerra, I vote any number besides number 2. :D

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Ocho.

Spitball
06-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Ocho.

Isn't it retired?

Redsfan320
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Ocho

As a number for Cozart? It's retired for Joe Morgan.

And I vote 9. The crappy SS wears 2. The last number 9 was... ick... Willie Bloomquist... then Danny Richar... then Paul Bako. Okay, so 9 is a crappy number too, but we need a good #9 for once.

cinreds21
06-22-2011, 10:28 PM

And I vote 9. The crappy SS wears 2. The last number 9 was... ick... Willie Bloomquist... then Danny Richar... then Paul Bako. Okay, so 9 is a crappy number too, but we need a good #9 for once.

That's right. I was thinking 9. My bad.

reds44
06-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Derek Jeter is crappy? That's the first name that pops into my head when I think #2.

Tulo wears it too.

And Hanley Ramirez.

Redsfan320
06-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Derek Jeter is crappy? That's the first name that pops into my head when I think #2.

Tulo wears it too.

And Hanley Ramirez.

I meant for the Reds.

westofyou
06-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Best Red ever with #9?

Chick Hafey.

corkedbat
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't know that Cozart is "the answer" at SS, but I'd bring him up and see what he's got for the next month to see if he can upgrade the position (even alittle) or if we need to go outside the system.

If he can hit .250 with a little power and play decent D, I'd be happy.

The premium trading for a SS demands, maes me hop that Zack cn shore the spot up the reset of the season. I think dealing for a decent LFer with some pop would get you more bang for the buck than the SS's you might acquire.

Superdude
06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
I think dealing for a decent LFer with some pop would get you more bang for the buck than the SS's you might acquire.

Somebody that could hit 3 homers in a game perhaps?

Big Klu
06-23-2011, 02:43 AM
John Fay "senses" it.

http://lifewithspidey.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/spidey-sense.jpg

Are you implying something?

And I vote number 2.

I think the frontrunner is probably #2. The darkhorse candidate is #17.

I think #9 might be held back for Mesoraco. There is something right about a power-hitting catcher wearing a single-digit number.

Guacarock
06-23-2011, 02:57 AM
I think #9 might be held back for Mesoraco. There is something right about a power-hitting catcher wearing a single-digit number.

Yes, I'm with you on this score. No. 9 ought to belong to Mesoraco. I wonder if Paul McCartney would approve?

Someone should ask him when he performs at GABP later this summer: What did the Beatles mean by "Revolution 9?" And did they mean the same thing if it was played backwards?

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
For what it's worth, Mes' favorite number is 36. That'll happen if he pays off Volquez or if the latter is traded...

06-23-2011, 03:10 AM
I thought there was something for Fay to go on or he wouldn't stir the pot like that. He knows how annoyed Reds fans are right now with the SS situation. If nothing happens, Fay will get an internet beat down and deservedly so.

The more hits Fay's blog gets, the better it is for him. It makes no difference whether the hits are positive or negative. that's why he writes blogs like this.

Ron Madden
06-23-2011, 03:35 AM

16 I hope.

Big Klu
06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
For what it's worth, Mes' favorite number is 36. That'll happen if he pays off Volquez or if the latter is traded...

I doubt that either of those things happen. Volquez is somewhat proud of the fact that he has Mario Soto's number, and I would take a dim view of a rookie who would attempt to buy a number off a former All-Star. It generally works the other way around--former All-Stars buy numbers off rookies.

Of course, a trade could happen, but the Reds are not going to trade Volquez just so that Mesoraco can have his favorite number. I would advise Mesoraco to take whatever number Bernie Stowe (or whoever is in charge of that now) gives him and "make it his."

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I doubt that either of those things happen. Volquez is somewhat proud of the fact that he has Mario Soto's number, and I would take a dim view of a rookie who would attempt to buy a number off a former All-Star. It generally works the other way around--former All-Stars buy numbers off rookies.

Of course, a trade could happen, but the Reds are not going to trade Volquez just so that Mesoraco can have his favorite number. I would advise Mesoraco to take whatever number Bernie Stowe (or whoever is in charge of that now) gives him and "make it his."

Great post, Klu. Agree 100%.

_Sir_Charles_
06-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Hits?

Who cares about hits/

He's as good as Larkin, a notch below Davey with the glove.

Or so I have hard.

Stay gold Poneyboy, stay gold.....

Do you mind if I begin mocking YOUR opinions? Imo, it's getting to the point where it's just flat out rude.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Do you mind if I begin mocking YOUR opinions? Imo, it's getting to the point where it's just flat out rude.

So, you can dish it out?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89749

But I can't eh?

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Any ways, a guy at work said that Mark Amazon said on his post-game show tomorrow that he heard from a very good source inside the Reds that Renteria would be DFA'd and that Cozart would be called up. I don't listen to any WLW shows, so I did not hear this personally, but I found the continued speculation interesting...

Plus Plus
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Please take the personal stuff private. A thread about Cozart doesn't need personal jabs to further the discussion.

_Sir_Charles_
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
So, you can dish it out?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89749 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89749)

But I can't eh?

That was not mocking or trying to make fun of anyone or any such thing. I posted them as examples...only. Only after the fact did someone mention that it might be viewed as "calling someone out". It wasn't meant in that way (as I clearly posted afterwards) and it was too late to edit it. And lastly...you are fully aware of this.

I hate to use the ignore feature, so instead I'd just appreciate it if you'd post a bit more respectfully is all. If not, fine...I'll use the feature. This isn't the first instance of this...it's happened quite a bit lately.

~edit~ My apologies Plus Plus. I just now saw your post.

lollipopcurve
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
I have to think Fay knew something. Could come from the clubhouse staff, who might have to be prepping a uniform, or something.

Roy Tucker
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I know I'm flagellating a deceased Fay equine, but there are journalistic terms for "I have a feeling" or "a little birdie told me", e.g. anonymous sources, off the record, on the record, not for attribution, deep background, blah blah blah. It helps frame the discussion better. Be a pro, dude.

bucksfan2
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
I know I'm flagellating a deceased Fay equine, but there are journalistic terms for "I have a feeling" or "a little birdie told me", e.g. anonymous sources, off the record, on the record, not for attribution, deep background, blah blah blah. It helps frame the discussion better. Be a pro, dude.

Be a pro? I know a lot of people don't like Fay on RZ and I don't exactly know why. For the most part he is a pretty conservative reporter and won't run with a story until he has proof that its going to happen. To me this quote is all you need to know about what is going to happen Friday night:

I think you could see Zack Cozart in a Reds uniform by the time the club gets to Baltimore. I don’t know that for sure, but I get that sense.

This could be a clubhouse source telling him, the equipment manager telling him, someone with the Bats telling him, etc. He can't come right out and say it because sources are invaluable until they are exposed.

IslandRed
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Normally, I'd agree with that. But all those other euphemisms have an inescapable conclusion -- "I was given this information by the Reds." The Reds try to be professional about these things, and I don't think they want irrefutable evidence that beat writers had this information before the club talked to Dead Man Walking. I can imagine a conversation where Fay was asked, "if you write it, don't say it came from us."

Now, Fay works for the Enquirer and not the Reds, but he has to be in that clubhouse every day. Sometimes a little finesse is required.

Hoosier Red
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Be a pro? I know a lot of people don't like Fay on RZ and I don't exactly know why. For the most part he is a pretty conservative reporter and won't run with a story until he has proof that its going to happen. To me this quote is all you need to know about what is going to happen Friday night:

This could be a clubhouse source telling him, the equipment manager telling him, someone with the Bats telling him, etc. He can't come right out and say it because sources are invaluable until they are exposed.

Agreed. I can't remember when he has said something was happening, and it didn't happen.

I tend to think the blog is made specifically for stuff like this. Where he has a sense, but doesn't have all the facts just yet.

OldXOhio
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
One thing that's curious about this instance re: Cozart is Fay hasn't even come close to forming an opinion / sharing what he knows re: the current situations with LF, SS and the rumors that involve them beyond what he's heard directly from Walt's mouth. The fact that he's shucked that mentality for a "sense" tells me he's hearing something concrete.

reds44
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
The Reds just cleared a spot on their 40 man roster. Probably has nothing to do with Cozart, but interesting anyways.

membengal
06-23-2011, 01:26 PM
If the reds need me to, I would be glad to swing over to BWI and pick cozart up.

Hoosier Red
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
The Reds just cleared a spot on their 40 man roster. Probably has nothing to do with Cozart, but interesting anyways.

Maybe Dontrelle?

Just additional needless speculation; In the 9th inning of the 2nd game last night, I saw someone warming up in the Reds bullpen. The only reason it interested me was because it was a left hander, and as far as I knew, Bill Bray is the only left hander on the roster right now(Travis Wood had been sent down earlier.) And of course he had already pitched, and had pitched earlier that day, so I couldn't see him walking back to the bullpen in any case.

I know it's not uncommon for a reliever to get up and "get some work in" when a game is out of hand, but does anyone know whom that may have been?

TOBTTReds
06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe Dontrelle?

Just additional needless speculation; In the 9th inning of the 2nd game last night, I saw someone warming up in the Reds bullpen. The only reason it interested me was because it was a left hander, and as far as I knew, Bill Bray is the only left hander on the roster right now(Travis Wood had been sent down earlier.) And of course he had already pitched, and had pitched earlier that day, so I couldn't see him walking back to the bullpen in any case.

I know it's not uncommon for a reliever to get up and "get some work in" when a game is out of hand, but does anyone know whom that may have been?

Was it Horst?

TOBTTReds
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM

When was that? Or who? I think I missed it.

Hoosier Red
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Was it Horst?

Is he a lefty? He would make sense as he hasn't pitched in a long time.
For some reason I thought he was right handed, but if not, that solves the mystery.

TOBTTReds
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Is he a lefty? He would make sense as he hasn't pitched in a long time.
For some reason I thought he was right handed, but if not, that solves the mystery.

He is, and you're right, he hasn't thrown in a while.

LoganBuck
06-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Maybe Dontrelle?

You saw Sasquatch, or in Ohio it is known as Grassman, or more precisely Jeremy Horst

OldXOhio
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe Dontrelle?

Dontrelle's tweets indicate he was in Louisville yesterday.

Far East
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
The offense in Baltimore stands to get a boost with Gomes or whoever else is the DH and with the SS hitting 9th to possibly do some table-setting for the top of the order.

Edd Roush
06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I would love to call up Yonder to DH for the next 6 games. Him or Sappelt.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Zack Cozart is in the lineup and leading off tonight for Louisville at home vs. Pawtucket; Alonso is hitting sixth.

Big Klu
06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Maybe Dontrelle?

Was it Horst?

Some folks believe Horst doesn't exist. But we now have evidence of a recent sighting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Smalfut.jpg

Brutus
06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Zack Cozart is in the lineup and leading off tonight for Louisville at home vs. Pawtucket; Alonso is hitting sixth.

He wouldn't be called up today anyhow. They don't call guys up on off-days, typically, especially if the person being replaced is going to be released or designated for assignment (because they still have to continue paying those players and the replacement would accrue service time if they're called up on an off-day).

So if Cozart were to come up tomorrow, it wouldn't happen until tomorrow afternoon (though he'd be told about it tonight so he can join the team in the morning).

Hoosier Red
06-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Dontrelle's tweets indicate he was in Louisville yesterday.

Thanks, it was Horst.

I wrote the post in a muddy way, but I meant to ask about Dontrelle and the mystery pitchers as two seperate points. I could tell it wasn't Dontrelle or Chapman, but I couldn't think of another lefty who it would have been.

TRF
06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
regarding Fay for a sec...

His blog is supposed to be different from his articles, but as both are hosted and presented on the same website, there really IS NO DIFFERENCE between his articles and his blog. Same person, same company, same topics. That is what makes his blog so frustrating. I think if he took the blog to an independent third party source, say a free one like blogspot, people could better differentiate between his opinions and when he's reporting.

just my 2 cents.

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 03:47 PM

His blog is supposed to be different from his articles, but as both are hosted and presented on the same website, there really IS NO DIFFERENCE between his articles and his blog. Same person, same company, same topics. That is what makes his blog so frustrating. I think if he took the blog to an independent third party source, say a free one like blogspot, people could better differentiate between his opinions and when he's reporting.

just my 2 cents.

It doesn't help that Fay and the other Reds beat writers are brutal in general. I'm better than them.

nemesis
06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
It doesn't help that Fay and the other Reds beat writers are brutal in general. I'm better than them.

Be careful might dislocate your elbow patting your back like that... :)

In general they are brutal as far as their personalities and overall style. But, Fay isn't one to spread false rumors. He can't spell check to save his life, but he is usually the most accurate writer on the beat.

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM

In general they are brutal as far as their personalities and overall style. But, Fay isn't one to spread false rumors. He can't spell check to save his life, but he is usually the most accurate writer on the beat.

I have people to do that for me :)

But still, Fay honestly put four pages of "omg Cozart is coming up" on here because he "sense" that Cozart would get called up because how the team was playing. I guess that means he hasn't been paying attention most of the season because he would have made that assertion over a month ago. And to me, Ramsey gives the best information, despite all the random tweets. They just all seem that they just got the job and it happened to be in baseball. It doesn't seem natural for them. Maybe that's just me.

REDREAD
06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I might be the only one here that likes Fay.

It's got to be extremely difficult to write a blog about the Reds and try to come up with fresh material everyday. My guess is that Fay had something substantial to base his "Feeling" on.. Maybe it was just someone in the organization saying "maybe".
He has not spread many false rumors in his history.

I(heart)Freel
06-23-2011, 04:42 PM

just my 2 cents.

Would help to think of his blog as a column and his articles as straight reporting. Columns can be looser and often show some subjectivity. The articles can not.

I don't think the ENQ would pay him for his opinions on a 3rd party site. They desperately need the page views on cincinnati.com. It's the only way the news business will survive in the 21st century.

RedLegSuperStar
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
note from the Lou. game tonight.. Cozart got a hit off of Kevin Millwood. I know what your thinking.. Millwood is washed up and done. Fact is he has pitched in the bigs and for a team like the Red Sox to sign him should say something. If he can hit off of a guy like Millwood then I think he can hit off of Millwoods former team.. Baltimore. I guess we'll find out soon enough if Cozart is joining Chapman in Baltimore.

fisch11
06-23-2011, 11:37 PM
there really IS NO DIFFERENCE between his articles and his blog.
just my 2 cents.

Bingo. I loathe when he posts his "article" that he writes for the website as a "blog entry". It's duplicating the same exact thing in 2 supposedly different mediums.

Ron Madden
06-24-2011, 03:46 AM

Agreed.

Ron Madden
06-24-2011, 04:18 AM
I might be the only one here that likes Fay.It's got to be extremely difficult to write a blog about the Reds and try to come up with fresh material everyday. My guess is that Fay had something substantial to base his "Feeling" on.. Maybe it was just someone in the organization saying "maybe".
He has not spread many false rumors in his history.

I think John Fay is head and shoulders above Hal McCoy these days.

The local media has been pretty bland with their coverage of the Reds.
I enjoyed the work of Marc Lancaster and C Trent Rosecrans but they wern't here very long.

The only writer to consistently give an honest opinion and not always toe the company line is John Erardi.

remdog
06-24-2011, 05:42 AM
The only writer to consistently give an honest opinion and not always toe the company line is John Erardi.

Maybe that's because Erardi has admitted that he's not a Reds fan. Besides, I think he's a writer that comes to a conclusion and then tries to write something to make it be true.

Rem

06-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Just my two sense on this subject, but I've always thought that the best writer to cover Cincinnati sports in the last few decades was Bill Peterson, especially his work in CityBeat. I miss his articles.

Chip R
06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Just my two sense on this subject, but I've always thought that the best writer to cover Cincinnati sports in the last few decades was Bill Peterson, especially his work in CityBeat. I miss his articles.

As do I. I only knew his columns from CityBeat but they were always good.

I think John Fayl is about one of the worst beat writers I've seen.

klw
06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
While I think there can be valid criticism for editing issues, the goal for the blog is speed and a rough draft that gets info out there. But for all of the criticism of Fay, he is the source of the majority of stories about the Reds and his pieces drive much of the commentary here. I think his work on Twitter and the blog certainly helps get info out there. It should not be viewed as a finished product. The contrast between now and 1990 when I was in school in NC and would go to the college library to read the 2 day old Enquirer when it got in is just staggering to me. I have no complaints with Fay and find delight in the occasional speeling and gramur mistakes.

Roy Tucker
06-24-2011, 10:20 AM
My beef with Fay is that he is very average at best. 85% of his writing is not-very-engaging paint-by-numbers stuff that any college-trained journalist could do. Once in a while, he'll have some good insight but that's like once a month and I attribute that to even blind pigs find acorns more that true acuity. The number of MLB beat writers better than him is much greater than those worse than him.

John Erardi is good, but he's best at in-depth features and not as a beat writer. When Tom Groeschen or Shannon Russell fill in for Fay, I feel the quality of the articles goes up. Groeschen went on this latest Reds west coast swing and I really liked his stuff.

_Sir_Charles_
06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
My problem with Fay is two things. First, his lack of effort in spell checking. That drives me NUTS. Second, he tends to let his own personal agenda show in his writing. Remember that whole Brandon Phillips affair he had with him not talking to Fay and the snide backhanded comments Fay would toss in his articles? Unprofessional...at best.

And now, back to the subject...any word on Cozart coming up? Or whomever?

OldXOhio
06-24-2011, 10:55 AM
My problem with Fay is two things. First, his lack of effort in spell checking. That drives me NUTS. Second, he tends to let his own personal agenda show in his writing. Remember that whole Brandon Phillips affair he had with him not talking to Fay and the snide backhanded comments Fay would toss in his articles? Unprofessional...at best.

And now, back to the subject...any word on Cozart coming up? Or whomever?

No word yet on Cozart. Chapman is said to be in Baltimore.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
My beef with Fay is that he is very average at best. 85% of his writing is not-very-engaging paint-by-numbers stuff that any college-trained journalist could do. Once in a while, he'll have some good insight but that's like once a month and I attribute that to even blind pigs find acorns more that true acuity. The number of MLB beat writers better than him is much greater than those worse than him.

John Erardi is good, but he's best at in-depth features and not as a beat writer. When Tom Groeschen or Shannon Russell fill in for Fay, I feel the quality of the articles goes up. Groeschen went on this latest Reds west coast swing and I really liked his stuff.

Well, if blind squirrels can find acorns from time to time, I suppose it's reasonable to assume that blind pigs can too. :D

Roy Tucker
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, if blind squirrels can find acorns from time to time, I suppose it's reasonable to assume that blind pigs can too. :D

I went to the "water over the bridge" vs. "water under the dam" school of mixed metaphors.

Whoops. :doh:

Unassisted
06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
If we're going to use water metaphors, I'm thinking that Fay might have flung his "Cozart up Friday?" stone into the Internet pond to see how many ripples it would create. 90 ripples so far in RedsZone's ORG.

GoReds
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
So what number is Fay going to wear?

Oh, wait...this is a Cozart thread.

CrackerJack
06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
No word yet on Cozart. Chapman is said to be in Baltimore.

Did Chapman learn how to throw strikes on the plane? They're being very impatient with him it seems, I suppose because of the $. He had what, one decent outing in the minor league stint?

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Did Chapman learn how to throw strikes on the plane? They're being very impatient with him it seems, I suppose because of the $. He had what, one decent outing in the minor league stint?

I'm not sure Volquez learned anything on his trip down either, other than how to use clippers on his hair.

06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure Volquez learned anything on his trip down either, other than how to use clippers on his hair.

Since coming back from his demotion, Volquez's BB rate has been half of what it was before, and his ERA is half as big as well.

06-24-2011, 01:38 PM

He's had two solid outings with very good control in both of them.

AmarilloRed
06-24-2011, 01:53 PM
If the Reds believed in his offensive improvement (they probably shouldn’t – it’s BABIP driven), they likely would have promoted him to the Majors

I saw this in the Cameron article. Cozart's BABIP this year is .354-about 50 points higher than it has previously been. Is this the reason the Reds haven't promoted him?

reds44
06-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Fay was wrong.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I saw this in the Cameron article. Cozart's BABIP this year is .354-about 50 points higher than it has previously been. Is this the reason the Reds haven't promoted him?

Comment from below the Dave Cameron article...

You also neglect to mention that his K% is down more than 4% from last year, while his ISO is up.

Sure, a .354 BABIP isn’t sustainable, but his improved numbers aren’t entirely “luck.”

Brutus
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM
50 BABIP points is a pretty big deal though. That's at least 100 OPS points (as it directly lowers OBP and also slugging) and probably more as some of those hits are doubles or triples.

If we normalize 100 points off his OPS, we're looking at a more reasonable .750 at AAA, and his minor league equivalencies put him at an expected Major League OPS below .700. Suddenly, he loses his luster.

He'd probably still be a little better than what the Reds are running out there, but I do think that high BABIP is a pretty big deal in evaluating Cozart's performance.

dougdirt
06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
50 BABIP points is a pretty big deal though. That's at least 100 OPS points (as it directly lowers OBP and also slugging) and probably more as some of those hits are doubles or triples.

If we normalize 100 points off his OPS, we're looking at a more reasonable .750 at AAA, and his minor league equivalencies put him at an expected Major League OPS below .700. Suddenly, he loses his luster.

He'd probably still be a little better than what the Reds are running out there, but I do think that high BABIP is a pretty big deal in evaluating Cozart's performance.

Cozart is also hitting quite a bit more line drives this year than last (25% this year compared to 18% last year). So the BABIP, while not sustainable, isn't completely attributed to luck either. He has changed something in his game that has resulted in a better eye/more contact. How that is going to translate, I don't have a clue.... but I still feel comfortable saying he is a .250 MLB hitter with 15-20 HR's and 35 doubles from the shortstop position.

Brutus
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Cozart is also hitting quite a bit more line drives this year than last (25% this year compared to 18% last year). So the BABIP, while not sustainable, isn't completely attributed to luck either. He has changed something in his game that has resulted in a better eye/more contact. How that is going to translate, I don't have a clue.... but I still feel comfortable saying he is a .250 MLB hitter with 15-20 HR's and 35 doubles from the shortstop position.

That's true. And in fairness, his xBABIP is somewhere in the neighborhood of .320 based on his hit types, so you're right that it's not all luck. I didn't mean to suggest it was, just that 50 points can be a pretty big deal.

Even assuming 30 points, his OPS, normalized, would probably be about 75 points lower which does still change the complexion a bit.

mbgrayson
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
And yet, Janish has a .538 OPS for 2011, and Renteria is at a .549 OPS. A .700 OPS would be a huge boost.

Brutus
06-24-2011, 08:43 PM
And yet, Janish has a .538 OPS for 2011, and Renteria is at a .549 OPS. A .700 OPS would be a huge boost.

If he were to hit that, I absolutely agree. You just don't know how a rookie will do. But at this point, don't mistake that statement from me as a reason not to do it--because I think it's time they give something a try.

CrackerJack
06-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Since coming back from his demotion, Volquez's BB rate has been half of what it was before, and his ERA is half as big as well.

Until tonight...

CrackerJack
06-24-2011, 08:55 PM
He's had two solid outings with very good control in both of them.

As a reliever I don't think that changes my point, but thanks for clarifying.