PDA

View Full Version : Nationals' manager Riggleman resigns

cinreds21
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Somewhat random:

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
This is a shocker: Riggleman has resigned from #Nationals, according to his agent, Burton Rocks. #MLB

Redsfan320
06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Something's up here. They've been around .500 this year, best they've done in a while... this is nothing like the FLA situation. Could be a family thing maybe... IDK.

RBA
06-23-2011, 04:12 PM
GM Mike Rizzo has announced that Jim Riggleman has resigned due to displeasure over his contract situation.

Brutus
06-23-2011, 04:13 PM
They had won 9 of their last 10 games. So yeah, needless to say, something must have been up lol

MrCinatit
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
From the sounds of it, it was very, very, very sudden and he basically gave the Nationals little time to think about it. If that is true, he might find it very difficult to get another job from another organization.

Joseph
06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Could be that Rigs wanted an extension based on success of late and they said one of two things, one that they want to wait to see how the full season plays out, or two that they had no intention of bringing him back after his current deal was up.

membengal
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Joseph: per the press conference just now with their gm, that was it. Riggleman gave an ultimatum and then quit when option not picked up.

If you all have tune in radio app for phones, or internet access, 980 am out of dc is a must listen for the next little bit.

Unassisted
06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
From the sounds of it, it was very, very, very sudden and he basically gave the Nationals little time to think about it. If that is true, he might find it very difficult to get another job from another organization.Or he already HAS a job lined up with another organization and he just wanted the Nats to match that offer.

Edskin
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
You sign a contract and then quit before the contract is up because you want then to assure you of a future contract? Gotta side with Nata management on this one.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Headline will read:

Ron Oester school of negotiations graduate Jim Riggleman resigns!!

membengal
06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Apparently he told rizzo (gm) before game today pick up the option or he was not getting on the bus for the road trip. Rizzo said I am not doing that and riggleman walked. Team was celebrating aftermath of yet another win when they were told. Moods went to stunned and funereal quicky per reports. This all happened about 30 minutes ago.

membengal
06-23-2011, 04:36 PM
It had apparently been an on-going conversation over the option and riggleman reached his breaking point. Riggleman kinda unloading on "way nats do business" at a press conference right now.

Tom Servo
06-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I gotta say I think it's a bad move by a guy who had all but one of his managerial jobs come from an interim basis and who has a career losing record. He may find another managerial job but nobody is going to be beating down the Riggleman door to hire him.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Of course he presses his option in the midst of a winning streak, a month ago they were 5 games under .500 and had lost 3 in a row.

Brutus
06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Of course he presses his option in the midst of a winning streak, a month ago they were 5 games under .500 and had lost 3 in a row.

Which is good business sense.

lollipopcurve
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds like dysfunction to me. Owner/GM/manager should have a clear, shared understanding heading into a season what the manager's contract situation is.

traderumor
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Which is good business sense.For penny stock brokers, maybe.

A bird in the hand is also good business sense. He had a job. Now he doesn't have a job and looks bad to boot. I'd say his strategy worked about as well as the umpires' strike a few years back. His bluff was called, and he folded. Not sure where there's any honor in that.

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
He was probably miserable, and quitting seemed like a viable option, so he took it.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Which is good business sense.

And it's poor business sense to push an option before half the work year is over, this is akin to a executive ignoring a poor first quarter and half of a poor second quarter and making a demand on 2 weeks of positive results.

Sure infrastructure might be improved, and other things, but the performance is always going to be the first thing that is examined, and the season will flush out more of that down the line.

Chip R
06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Headline will read:

Ron Oester school of negotiations graduate Jim Riggleman resigns!!

Heh. At least Rigs had the job before making demands.

KronoRed
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Way to stick with your players Jim, enjoy managing in the Atlantic league.

Brutus
06-23-2011, 06:15 PM
And it's poor business sense to push an option before half the work year is over, this is akin to a executive ignoring a poor first quarter and half of a poor second quarter and making a demand on 2 weeks of positive results.

Sure infrastructure might be improved, and other things, but the performance is always going to be the first thing that is examined, and the season will flush out more of that down the line.

It's not poor business sense to ask for it. In fact, I think he made a good decision to ask for it. But to quit if he didn't get it, I don't agree with.

It's not that he asked for it, it's how he handled it in lieu of not getting the extension.

CTA513
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
The Nationals have started to look like a decent team and now they have no manager.

:ughmamoru:

westofyou
06-23-2011, 06:29 PM
It's not poor business sense to ask for it. In fact, I think he made a good decision to ask for it. But to quit if he didn't get it, I don't agree with.

It's not that he asked for it, it's how he handled it in lieu of not getting the extension.

He had the option already, he tried to force their hand to exercise it, that's the poor decision IMO. He overestimated his worth by giving them the exercise it or I walk ultimatum. Which is in essence bad business 101.

Brutus
06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
He had the option already, he tried to force their hand to exercise it, that's the poor decision IMO. He overestimated his worth by giving them the exercise it or I walk ultimatum. Which is in essence bad business 101.

Why? If he thought his value was highest right at that point, why not try to maximize that and hope they pick it up? That's smart business. You know, buy low sell high. Same concept. He was trying to maximize his leverage when the team was playing its best baseball.

Anyone should market themselves best they can. Riggleman was smart to use that winning streak to his advantage. Again, not saying I respect his "walk" ultimatum. But I absolutely think he should have cashed in when he did.

06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
He does realize that he's Jim Riggleman, right ?

It's kinda like Rain Wilson making demands on The Office.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
He was trying to maximize his leverage when the team was playing its best baseball.
Guess he needs to learn about sample size, seems the GM knows about it.

reds1869
06-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Not only that, but it doesn't seem like terribly good business to walk away from the remainder of your paycheck when you don't have another lined up and are hurting your marketability.

Brutus
06-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Ask Tony Perez if they know about it.

traderumor
06-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Why? If he thought his value was highest right at that point, why not try to maximize that and hope they pick it up? That's smart business. You know, buy low sell high. Same concept. He was trying to maximize his leverage when the team was playing its best baseball.

Anyone should market themselves best they can. Riggleman was smart to use that winning streak to his advantage. Again, not saying I respect his "walk" ultimatum. But I absolutely think he should have cashed in when he did.Apparently he thinks his boss is an idiot then and would buy into that "look at it man, we're on a WINNING STREAK. We just swept the Seattle Freakin' Mariners. ANOTHER EXCITING WALKOFF WIN. We're a game over .500 and its nearly the halfway point in the season. Man, aren't you pumped? Now, about my option."

Apparently, he overestimated the stupidity of his boss. That would not be "smart business."

But then, I'd be surprised if that was even a selling point...boy, at least I hope so. If not, Riggleman needs an agent. Well, right now, a PR Rep...

westofyou
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Ask Tony Perez if they know about it.OK

If I bump into him I'll ask him if his stint as a manager in Cincinnati 18 years ago could be used as a comparison to the 2011 Jim Riggleman incident.

savafan
06-23-2011, 08:51 PM
OK

If I bump into him I'll ask him if his stint as a manager in Cincinnati 18 years ago could be used as a comparison to the 2011 Jim Riggleman incident.

I'm afraid he'd beat you down if you did that.

VR
06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Who knows the real story. Nats may have been stringing him along for some time. As a veteran MLB guy....I doubt he just blew his top and made an irrational decision after they finished the sweep.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Who knows the real story. Nats may have been stringing him along for some time. As a veteran MLB guy....I doubt he just blew his top and made an irrational decision after they finished the sweep.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/riggleman-quits-at-nationals-manager/2011/06/23/AGPDlnhH_blog.html?hpid=z2

“When is the right time, you know?” Riggleman said. “August? No. Last October is the right time. It’s been festering for me since last October, and I told Mike that when I spoke to him before.”

“I’m 58,” Riggleman added. “I’m too old to be disrespected.”

Riggleman, a Rockville native who took over the interim at the 2009 all-star break, has believed since prior to the season that not having his option for 2012 picked up would lead to a lack of authority in the clubhouse and represented a lack of confidence from ownership. Riggleman approached Rizzo several times during the season to discuss the option.

“I felt that the time wasn’t right for me to pick up the option as of this time,” Rizzo said. “Certainly, today’s conversation, put to me in the way it was put to me, you certainly can’t make that decision in a knee-jerk reaction. It’s too big of a decision to be put in that position.”

VR
06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Good for Jim.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Good for Jim.

Walter Alston managed every year with a 1 year contract.

VR
06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Walter Alston managed every year with a 1 year contract.

As did pretty much every pro athlete and manager, yes?

It's an odd story for sure.....certainly more to come out in the coming weeks.

marcshoe
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Buster Olney thinks Davey Johnson will take over, per Twitter. First McKeon gets a job, then Davey. Can Pinella be far behind????

BCubb2003
06-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Can Pinella be far behind????

Sorry, but Jim Bowden is suggesting ...

wait for it ...

Bob Boone.

https://twitter.com/#!/NFA_Brian/status/84034097663574016

JaxRed
06-23-2011, 10:24 PM
I suspect Jim Riggelman just had his last manager job. Manager's are just commodities. Plug one in. If I was a GM I wouldn't hire him after this.

westofyou
06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
As did pretty much every pro athlete and manager, yes?

It's an odd story for sure.....certainly more to come out in the coming weeks.

A lot of managers had 2-3 year contracts too. Alston originally got the job because Dressen demanded a 2 year contract.

Dressen ended up in DC and then Detroit, never won again.

BCubb2003
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
These days even the managers are at least millionaires, and doesn't it seem like they aren't waiting to get fired?

Chip R
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM

wait for it ...

Bob Boone.

:laugh::laugh::lol:

Big Klu
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM

wait for it ...

Bob Boone.

Does Ray Knight still work in the Nats' broadcast booth?

reds44
06-24-2011, 01:07 AM
I don't understand how he's being disrespected. You signed a contract, it's not like he's been successful in DC. Being one game over .500 in June does not mean you should have your option picked up. Look how bad it went for the Marlins in a hurry.

Honestly, I think Riggleman tried to go on a power play with his winning streak and it blew up in his face.

RedFanAlways1966
06-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Me, me, me... <sigh>

Goodbye, Jim Riggleman. The Nats can win-or-lose with or without you. If I were a MLB GM, you'd never have to worry about my phone number appearing on your caller ID.

:thumbdown:

cumberlandreds
06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Does Ray Knight still work in the Nats' broadcast booth?

He does the pre and post game. He also fills in as analyst when FP Santangelo is off.

Riggleman was just too arrogant to realize that decent to average managers are a dime a dozen. He wanted an exstention and the Nats called his bluff. I doubt he will ever get another manager or coaching job again in MLB. I don't why he just didn't stay around until the end of the season and take their money. If the Nats didn't extend him then he could walk away with a much better face on the situation. Now he looks like a quitter and whining cry baby. The Nats are above .500 this late in the season for the first time since 2005. Their first year in DC. If they had stayed that way at .500 or better the Nats would have had no choice but extend him at the end of the season. Its too bad for the franchise. They were actually starting to build a little excitement in DC for this team. Now the air has been let out for the moment. If they keep winning Riggleman will become just an afterthought. If they go back to losing then the good will they have built will fade away again.

RedsBaron
06-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Riggleman will almost certainly never manage in the majors again. He quit on his team. If he had the managerial resume of a Hall of Fame caliber manager, or if he had been a Hall of Fame caliber player, then he could recover from this. He doesn't, he wasn't, and he won't.

Roy Tucker
06-24-2011, 08:23 AM
[url]“I’m 58,” Riggleman added. “I’m too old to be disrespected.”

If I'm not mistaken, this is grammatically incorrect. "Disrespect" is either a noun or a transitive verb. Transitive verbs needs a direct object, e.g. "don't disrespect me". No direct object means an intransitive verb.

And I'm 58 and I get disrespected by everyone all the time. Join the club, Jim. Don't get too full of yourself. If you think you have it made, you don't. They can always do without you and always go find someone else. You aren't that special. Don't press your luck.

cumberlandreds
06-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Riggleman has 662-884 lifetime record. 140-172 with the Nats. I don't think I would be demanding anything with a record like that. I linked an article from WTOP in DC and you read the comments of people in the DC area. The opinios are wide and varied to say the least.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=490&sid=2434873

Tom Servo
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Riggleman has 662-884 lifetime record. 140-172 with the Nats. I don't think I would be demading anything with a record like that.
That's pretty much what it comes down to in my mind.

westofyou
06-24-2011, 09:49 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14351

Riggleman might have considered the way managers and teams interact before presenting Nationals GM, and thereby ownership, with an ultimatum. His career record doesn’t testify to his being a transformational figure, and the recent Nationals turnaround is potentially an ephemeral little soap bubble. Bob Brenly won 92 games and a World Series (two things Riggleman has yet to do), and it didn’t prove he was a good manager. A 15-6 June no more made Riggleman indispensible than the team’s 23-31 record over the previous two months was grounds for immediate dismissal. Note that the Nationals have gone 7-1 in one-run games this month. That’s not progress, that’s a series of lucky breaks disguised as real progress.

lollipopcurve
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
This kind of stuff doesn't happen under an effective front office and ownership.

Unassisted
06-24-2011, 10:45 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this is grammatically incorrect. "Disrespect" is either a noun or a transitive verb. Transitive verbs needs a direct object, e.g. "don't disrespect me". No direct object means an intransitive verb.

And I'm 58 and I get disrespected by everyone all the time. Join the club, Jim. Don't get too full of yourself. If you think you have it made, you don't. They can always do without you and always go find someone else. You aren't that special. Don't press your luck.I think this he meant it in the modern sense of the word. "Disrespected" has come to mean "not being paid as much as I think I'm worth." I despise this usage, because it tries to make salary negotiations, a business transaction, personal. What one is paid isn't about "respect," it's about being paid commensurate to the way one's performance benefits the business. It's a subjective measure, but "respect" is not part of that equation. :p

cincrazy
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't agree with Riggleman quitting, but I won't drag him over the coals because of it. Clearly the ownership had no committment to him at all. Why stay around if you're only being used? That's probably how he looked at it.

westofyou
06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't agree with Riggleman quitting, but I won't drag him over the coals because of it. Clearly the ownership had no committment to him at all. Why stay around if you're only being used? That's probably how he looked at it.

He was getting paid a salary, he was the leader of the team, he had a role... he was not being used.

RedsBaron
06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
He was getting paid a salary, he was the leader of the team, he had a role... he was not being used.

Exactly. Riggleman's decision is so, well, dumb, it is almost inexplicable.
You previously mentioned how Walter Alston got his job managing Brooklyn after Charlie Dressen demanded a two year contract. It was a bad decsion on Dressen's part, but at that point Dressen at least had a managerial resume that he could correctly assume would cause him to get other offers if he parted ways with the Dodgers. In three years in Brooklyn Dressen's Dodgers had gone 97-60 in 1951, losing the NL title in a playoff, 96-57 in 1952, winning the NL pennant and losing the World Series in seven games, and 105-49 in 1953, losing the Series in six games. That is a wee bit better than the record of Riggleman's teams.
Dressen was right, as the Senators, Braves and Tigers all later gave him a job as manager, and the Dodgers even brought him back as a coach under Alston at one time. I doubt that Riggleman will get similar chances.

westofyou
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/jim-riggleman-proves-he-wasnt-the-man-to-manage-the-nationals/2011/06/23/AG7RYAiH_story.html

Not getting on the bus? Not getting on the plane? Talk turkey or I quit? In three hours? Try that with your boss. Give me $700,000 for next year or I’ll resign in the middle of a long winning streak and say I didn’t get proper respect and fair treatment.

In Rizzo, Riggleman couldn’t have found a worse boss to nag about a new deal or one who would respond worse to his lobbying in the media (me included) for help.

Why? Because Rizzo faced the same obstacles when he became GM. Instead of whining about a longer deal, he did such a strong job that the Nats did what was obvious: They gave him a five-year contract. Rizzo replaced Jim Bowden on an interim basis in 2009. Then, the next year, he was on a short leash like Riggleman this year.

Rizzo said ex-president “Stan Kasten told me, ‘Forget the [expletive] contract. Own the job. Just be the [expletive] GM. Prove you’re the guy.’ ”

And Rizzo, even though he’d spent his whole life working up the baseball chain to be a GM, swallowed and did it. Talk about playing the wrong card with the wrong guy.

westofyou
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
For managers with 1,400 or more games, no one from 1900 on has a lower winning percentage than Jim Riggleman

Unassisted
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
For managers with 1,400 or more games, no one from 1900 on has a lower winning percentage than Jim RigglemanThat would make a great arbitration case for paying Riggleman the average salary of every manager since 1900. And I imagine he'd feel less respected than Rodney Dangerfield if he received that amount. He'd probably be making less than his team's traveling secretary.

RedsManRick
06-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Just saw on twitter that Davey Johnson will be the new manager.

kaldaniels
06-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Just saw on twitter that Davey Johnson will be the new manager.

Mckeon and Davey in one week.

Who is next, Bob Boone?

kaldaniels
06-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Another fact. Freddy Gonzalez is the 2nd longest tenured manager in the NL East.

Tom Servo
06-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Dusty is second longest tenured in our division, and I believe is about 5th in the entire NL.

kaldaniels
06-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Dusty is second longest tenured in our division, and I believe is about 5th in the entire NL.

That I can wrap my head around. Hard to believe the guy who took over for Bobby Cox is already 2nd most tenured in that division.

Wheelhouse
06-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Nats will be tough with Davey Johnson.

RedLegSuperStar
06-25-2011, 09:10 AM
The Nats got one of my all time favorites.. Davey is a great coach and he is in a good place to actually give the division a run for its money.

savafan
06-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Hadn't we been told for years that Davey Johnson didn't want to get back into managing?

RedLegSuperStar
06-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Hadn't we been told for years that Davey Johnson didn't want to get back into managing?

For years and years.. But I think I heard he was doing it as a favor to the GM..

Blitz Dorsey
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Just an absolutely stupid move by Jim Riggleman. Do you know Dusty could have done the same thing with the Reds last year if he wanted, but he never would have done that. He could have told Jocketty "Sign me to an extension now since my contract runs out after this year or I'm gone." But mature people just don't operate in that fashion. And Dusty Baker has a hell of a lot more credentials than Jim Riggleman.

Some people say it's "honorable" what he did. I say it's flat-out stupid. If he would have continued to win (or even close) the Nats definitely would have re-signed him. There are only 30 MLB managerial jobs available and you better not allow your stubbornness to cost you one of them. Anyone want to bet that Riggleman will never be an MLB manager again? No way anyone ever gives him another shot. He'll definitely regret making that decision.

Blitz Dorsey
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe if Davey does really well this season the Nats will replace him with Ray Knight next year.

Unassisted
06-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I hope the Nats confirmed that Davey got that whole live-in girlfriend issue resolved. Living with a significant other whom you're not married to does preclude managing a MLB team, honey. </Marge>

;)

savafan
06-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that she and Davey got married.

redsmetz
06-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Just an absolutely stupid move by Jim Riggleman. Do you know Dusty could have done the same thing with the Reds last year if he wanted, but he never would have done that. He could have told Jocketty "Sign me to an extension now since my contract runs out after this year or I'm gone." But mature people just don't operate in that fashion. And Dusty Baker has a hell of a lot more credentials than Jim Riggleman.

Some people say it's "honorable" what he did. I say it's flat-out stupid. If he would have continued to win (or even close) the Nats definitely would have re-signed him. There are only 30 MLB managerial jobs available and you better not allow your stubbornness to cost you one of them. Anyone want to bet that Riggleman will never be an MLB manager again? No way anyone ever gives him another shot. He'll definitely regret making that decision.

Tom Boswell makes some of these same points in his column from the WaPo:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/jim-riggleman-proves-he-wasnt-the-man-to-manage-the-nationals/2011/06/23/AG7RYAiH_story.html

VR
06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that she and Davey got married.

Maybe Marge though he already was married....AND had a live in girlfriend?

kaldaniels
06-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Bum move by Riggleman, but my gosh is the media bending over backward to rake him over the coals.

Blitz Dorsey
06-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Bum move by Riggleman, but my gosh is the media bending over backward to rake him over the coals.

I don't know man. When those with prestigious jobs (not that being the Nats' manager is exactly top rung, but it's still one of only 30 MLB managerial jobs in the world) do something really stupid, I think the media should rake them over the coals. This ranks up there with one of the dumber things I have ever seen a coach/manager do in all my years following sports. Talk about someone with a big ego and a lot of stubbornness. Then again, I can understand it considering his illustrious career as a manager. Oh wait, he has the worst record all-time for any manager who has managed 10+ years according to the Boswell story.

The sad thing is I bet even Riggleman already regrets the decision and wishes he could take it back. Like I said earlier, he'll never manage again ... and that has nothing to do with any media backlash. Baseball people now think he's a flake. Good luck with all that.

cumberlandreds
06-27-2011, 08:06 AM

I have heard quite a few take up for him. Some guys on ESPN radio were the other day. IMO, when you have the overall record Riggleman does you have no leverage whatsoever. He bluffed them and they called it. The Nats did just fine this weekend without him. Two out of three against the White Sox.
BTW,Earl Weaver is still alive and available. :)

redsmetz
06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I have heard quite a few take up for him. Some guys on ESPN radio were the other day. IMO, when you have the overall record Riggleman does you have no leverage whatsoever. He bluffed them and they called it. The Nats did just fine this weekend without him. Two out of three against the White Sox.

I think Boswell was correct in laying out that Riggleman made a horrible miscalculation. Had he brought the Nats through the season in the fashion they've been going thus far, management would have been hard put to not extend him.

Boswell wrote:

Yet he disdained an obvious alternative, one that, with a run of luck, might have brought him a very happy ending. Why not try to take a Washington baseball team to a winning record for the second time since 1953? Or come close. Then, no team on Earth could, or would want to, deny him a new contract. In ’12, he probably would have Stephen Strasburg and Adam LaRoche back from injury as well as, perhaps, more free agents. Rig says he’s never had the horses. If he did, he’d show ’em. Now, just as he might actually have gotten ’em, even if granted grudgingly, he probably ended his managerial career.

Very possibly, this will be best for the Nationals. It's doubtful that Riggleman would be the manager to ultimately take them in to the promised land, if they should ever arrive, but he could have had a longer tenure and better success in the long run.