PDA

View Full Version : Does Joey Just Need a Couple Days Off?

Phhhl
06-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Don't look now, but the incompetence of the rest of the lineup is having an effect on the reigning NL MVP. I have never seen this guy cheating so badly, swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, taking pitches in his wheel house and playing a zero sum guessing game with the pitcher, as he is doing right now.

Aside from putting a legit right handed slugger right behind him in the order, I cannot think of a better way to try and put this ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY superstar back on track than to sit him down and let him study a couple of ballgames at this point. Not an off-day, but a couple days to sit back and watch pitchers work.

The season is in the balance. The lack of production from Votto right now is an emergency situation calling for extreme measures.

reds44
06-25-2011, 05:27 AM
In a word, no.

edabbs44
06-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Votto is allowed to slump. I don't think we have to blame the rest of the lineup.

CTA513
06-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Nope, only one allowed to get days off is Rolen.

jojo
06-25-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't see a problem with giving Votto a day off.

RedsManRick
06-25-2011, 01:36 PM
A day off, sure? Multiple days off? Preferably not.

edabbs44
06-25-2011, 02:25 PM
David Price coming up...might be a good time for a breather. Jay also.

reds44
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
There's a difference between a day off and multiple days off.

Ron Madden
06-25-2011, 05:18 PM
You should always play your best players as often as possible in my opinion.

RedLegSuperStar
06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Just hit his 100th HR of his career.. wouldn't of done that on the bench!

Currently he is 2-2 tonight

Ghosts of 1990
06-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Probably glad he didn't sit tonight?

Tom Servo
06-25-2011, 08:32 PM
from watching tonight's game

YouTube - ‪nope.avi‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14)

Tony Cloninger
06-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Bad timing Post of the year goes to.......... :D

I think Santo should get credit for riling Joey up.

HeatherC1212
06-25-2011, 08:53 PM
My fantasy team is doing a happy dance tonight over this game, LOL :laugh:

I'm thinking Joey is all right. :thumbup:

jojo
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
After circling the bases as much as he has tonight, Votto may be too exhausted to play tomorrow.

HeatherC1212
06-25-2011, 09:42 PM
He finally made an out tonight. Send him to AAA. :p

edabbs44
06-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Bad timing Post of the year goes to.......... :D

I think Santo should get credit for riling Joey up.

Fay's Heisey blog entry, hands down.

Phhhl
06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
My fantasy team is doing a happy dance tonight over this game, LOL :laugh:

I'm thinking Joey is all right. :thumbup:

Mine too. I may have been wrong :).

Big Klu
06-25-2011, 10:11 PM
After circling the bases as much as he has tonight, Votto may be too exhausted to play tomorrow.

That's why they have the DH in Baltimore. ;)

RedsManRick
06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Man, I just can't keep up with kids' slang these days. I had no clue that "days off" meant home runs.

Homer Bailey
06-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Days off/send him to AAA. RZ's solution to any slump ever.

Ron Madden
06-26-2011, 01:26 AM

I wouldn't say that's everyone on RZ's solution. ;)

Guacarock
06-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Interesting that Votto credits Renteria with helping him to pinpoint small mechanical glitches contributing to his slump and giving him some pointers on how to regain his power and form.

For the full read, follow the link to Mark Sheldon's story.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110625&content_id=20995372&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

reds44
06-26-2011, 02:06 AM
You forgot hair cut lol

Phhhl
06-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Interesting that Votto credits Renteria with helping him to pinpoint small mechanical glitches contributing to his slump and giving him some pointers on how to regain his power and form.

For the full read, follow the link to Mark Sheldon's story.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110625&content_id=20995372&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

I thought it was even more interesting that Joey was such a pal of Corey Patterson for showing him how to act as a major leaguer when he came up, even as Patterson was one of the worst position players in all of baseball during his tenure with the Reds.

As much as we would like to think major league veterans mentor young players, I just have to wonder if that even happens very much at all anymore. Marginal veterans like Patterson and Renteria are going to be super nice to guys who are threatening their paycheck while trying desperately to outperform them, and exceptional players like Joey Votto are going to overstate their appreciation in order to establish a rapport with the fanbase as a good guy.

Personally, I seriously doubt that Patterson and Renteria have any legitimate claim to the success of Joey Votto as one of the best hitters in all of baseball today at the end of the day.

reds44
06-26-2011, 03:27 AM
I thought it was even more interesting that Joey was such a pal of Corey Patterson for showing him how to act as a major leaguer when he came up, even as Patterson was one of the worst position players in all of baseball during his tenure with the Reds.

As much as we would like to think major league veterans mentor young players, I just have to wonder if that even happens very much at all anymore. Marginal veterans like Patterson and Renteria are going to be super nice to guys who are threatening their paycheck while trying desperately to outperform them, and exceptional players like Joey Votto are going to overstate their appreciation in order to establish a rapport with the fanbase as a good guy.

Personally, I seriously doubt that Patterson and Renteria have any legitimate claim to the success of Joey Votto as one of the best hitters in all of baseball today at the end of the day.
In what way did Joey Votto, a first baseman, threaten Corey Patterson, a center fielders, paycheck? These are grown men here. I don't think anybody (especially Edgar Renteria who has two world series and an MVP) is kissing up to anybody.

And Joey Votto, the leagues MVP, doesn't really have to do anything to establish anything with the fan base.

Phhhl
06-26-2011, 03:35 AM
In what way did Joey Votto, a first baseman, threaten Corey Patterson, a center fielders, paycheck? These are grown men here. I don't think anybody (especially Edgar Renteria who has two world series and an MVP) is kissing up to anybody.

And Joey Votto, the leagues MVP, doesn't really have to do anything to establish anything with the fan base.

Wow, that is so far off base from what I was trying to say I don't know how to respond. All I was trying to say is that I can't fathom a player as astonishingly good as Votto is at this point in his career continuing to draw value from players so apparently useless as Patterson and Renteria. You don't often see a superstar making such high profile comments out of charity. Is there any substance to what Joey has said?

Guacarock
06-26-2011, 03:41 AM

At the end of the day, you're right. Exceptional players like Joey are drawing more from their own reservoir of talent than from any mentoring they receive from marginal veterans. Still, baseball is full of examples where fading players can tip off emerging or established superstars on the tricks, tics and intricacies of the game.

You expect that kind of stuff to be handled by coaches and managers, and you have to hope for all of your players to be in their prime and not fading, but in reality, the lines of demarcation are never that simple. I brought up this Votto compliment to Renteria because I've also brought up Renteria's stats and limitations, and the picture portrayed wasn't pretty. Even if Renteria gets cut loose, and that might happen, is it so bad to acknowledge a small, feel-good moment about his stay with the Reds or to celebrate the totality of his experience and knowledge? What's happening with his body is undeniable, but doesn't mean his mind has shut down or he doesn't have an enduring passion for the game.

reds44
06-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Wow, that is so far off base from what I was trying to say I don't know how to respond. All I was trying to say is that I can't fathom a player as astonishingly good as Votto is at this point in his career continuing to draw value from players so apparently useless as Patterson and Renteria. You don't often see a superstar making such high profile comments out of charity. Is there any substance to what Joey has said?
Sometimes you just need another set of eyes. And Renteria is useless now because he's old. He used to be a very good hitter, so it's not like he doesn't know what it takes.

Talent and knowledge are two different things.

Brutus
06-26-2011, 04:59 AM

He could draw value from how they teach and not how they necessarily perform. Just like some of the best coaches weren't the best players, or the best players don't become the best general managers (ask Michael Jordan), the worst players sometimes are the best teachers or coaches. There's no correlation from ability to play to ability to teach.

Some people simply have a better ability to communicate than others. Perhaps those players simply were better at getting points across than others. We all have certain people that we turn to for advice, right? Why isn't it possible these players were the ones that had a rapport with him?