PDA

View Full Version : Sam LeCure

RedsManRick
06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
For some reason I've always been skeptical of LeCure. Seemed like a very run of the mill talent. But every time I've seen him pitch, I'm reminded of how much movement he has. Sure, he doesn't light up a gun, but his fastball rides pretty hard, his cutter has good life and his breaking stuff moves pretty well too.

So far this year, he's been throwing strikes and getting strikeouts: 33 K, 9 BB in 36.2 IP. I'm obviously no scout, but I've definitely started to re-asses him. I mean a guy with that awesome of a mustache has to be worth a roster spot, right? What do you guys think? Is he a legit major league starter?

RedLegSuperStar
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm not sold on starter.. But he has been as such a reliable asset to the pen

edabbs44
06-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Leave him in the pen.

nate
06-25-2011, 02:50 PM
He's had OK results in 36.2 IP this year. He's got a HR/9 trending poorly and an extremely low BABIP. I'm not thinking that's a good mix for success but he has so few IP, it's hard to say. He's been kind of a 4 FIP guy in the minors which is totally useable and right now, I prefer him starting to EV.

He's kind of like a TV show that's on with nothing better to watch. I'll keep watching until it gets better or something else comes on.

Totally agreed on the stache though!

The Voice of IH
06-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I like him right where he is. He could have a really good career if he continues to perform in the pen like he is now.

mth123
06-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Leave him in the pen. Those pereipherals have a way of going south quickly when a guy goes from facing 3 or 4 hitters to the entire eline-up 3 or 4 times. His minor league career suggests 5th starter who gets rocked IMO.

He's good for a spot start, but trying to put him in there consecutive times through the rotation seems like an awful plan. I agree that some of the other internal options aren't good enough, but that just points the need to bring somebody in (and it doesn't need to be an ace to improve things). Moving Lecure will weaken the pen and the best we could hope for is that it doesn't make the rotation any worse IMO.

06-25-2011, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't mind switching him with Volquez for awhile. It's counter-intuitive, but I could see Volquez excelling in then pen, especially as a short reliever.

Tom Servo
06-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I like LeCure and think he's a perfect bullpen/swing starter guy. Also he was awesome in No Country For Old Men.

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/199000_main.jpg