PDA

View Full Version : Gomes.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-26-2011, 01:23 AM
I know there's always a lot of people calling for Gomes' head when he was abysmal. I mean there was one EVERY day when he was penciled into the lineup. But I have not seen one. NOT ONE thread dedicated for how he's turned it around. He's hitting .351 this month, 3 HRs, OBP is .444, and slugging .622.

Now I'm not calling for him to make the All-Star team. But damn, can't a guy get a little appreciation? I mean most of you guys are quick to jump on him when he's in a slump. Where's his praise at now?

And I didn't even mention his defense this year. He's been above average this year.

The DARK
06-26-2011, 02:12 AM
He's been getting it together when we need it most, and improving previously poor areas of his game. I give him a lot of credit for that. He may not have the skill to be the everyday LF like Dusty wants, but he's a great guy to have on the ballclub.

Vottomatic
06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I like the guy as a person and a pinch hitter. And I hoped at the beginning of the season he would do well. I'm definitely not rooting against the guy. BUT........when a guy can't hit his weight for 2 months, and it's clearly hurting the team, and the team has better options but refuses to go with them..........I'm not happy about it. Still doesn't mean I was rooting against Jonny.

I'm happy Jonny has turned it around and it does seem like his defense has improved a bit. BUT.........Heisey surely will give you the same amount of power and batting average ATLEAST as Gomes if given the chance..........and Heisey brings better defense, more speed, and being young has a higher upside. Gomes has a track record, and right now he's hit one of those hot streaks. The question is what happens when Gomes hot streak ends and he struggles the rest of the season? Will Dusty leave him in to hurt the lineup or replace him?

I hope Gomes continues to do well. But I still think we have a better option in Heisey. And I'd like to see him given a chance.

DaytonFlyer
06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Because everyone knows he's going to have a month long stretch like this, but that doesn't make up for the other 5 months when he is almost complete and total dreck.

He should not be playing every day, period.

texasdave
06-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Let him start against lefties and some meatball righties, pinch hit or pinch run. Do not play him everyday. I would think a super-intelligent-wins-wherever-he-goes manager like Dusty Baker could figure that out. Maybe he finally has. We can only hope.

mu4103
06-26-2011, 10:21 PM
I know there's always a lot of people calling for Gomes' head when he was abysmal. I mean there was one EVERY day when he was penciled into the lineup. But I have not seen one. NOT ONE thread dedicated for how he's turned it around. He's hitting .351 this month, 3 HRs, OBP is .444, and slugging .622.

Now I'm not calling for him to make the All-Star team. But damn, can't a guy get a little appreciation? I mean most of you guys are quick to jump on him when he's in a slump. Where's his praise at now?

And I didn't even mention his defense this year. He's been above average this year.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I was about to applaud this post, because Gomes is swinging the bat better and probably deserves to be recognized. Having said that Gomes has only had 40 ABs this month his avg is .325 after his 0-3 today. He has been playing primarily against lefties. Gomes's overall avg. is .221. Gomes has not been above average this year.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I was about to applaud this post, because Gomes is swinging the bat better and probably deserves to be recognized. Having said that Gomes has only had 40 ABs this month his avg is .325 after his 0-3 today. He has been playing primarily against lefties. Gomes's overall avg. is .221. Gomes has not been above average this year.

That was about his defense this year. He's not a black hole, he's been making some GREAT plays this year, and making the routine ones as well.

HalKing
06-28-2011, 05:23 AM
In the correct role Gomes is a valuable guy to have on the team. The everyday LF'er is NOT the correct role.

wlf WV
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I think I read or heard somewhere that LF for the Reds was 2nd in NL in RBIs.I think that included Heisey playing in CF too.Still surprised me.Everybody needs to root for Bailey and Volquez,they're the keys to this teams success.

Stray
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
He's been playing well, even defensively he's been really good this year. We have a lot of guys that go really hot and then really cold on this team so it makes it frustrating to watch, but when Gomes has it going I like to see him in the lineup.

UPRedsFan
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Good for Jonny, he's on a hot streak.

But he cannot be counted on for a whole season. He needs to be the 4th or 5th outfielder.

Roush's socks
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Gomes has never been as bad as Redszone posters go on and on about. Even last year he was an AVERAGE LF'r. Not a below average, and certainly not a terrible LF'r. He OPS's around .800. He hits 20 HR's and has a knack for driving in runs. His defense is better this year.

They key with Gomes is to play him mostly against LHP. He has always hit well against lefties.

Heisey has also made a case for himself, but for whatever reason the Reds don't see him as an every day player. I really think in LF Gomes, Heisey and Lewis are about equal and it wouldn't matter that much if one was the every day LF'r---- versus using them alternating.

Hillsdale87
06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Heisey has also made a case for himself, but for whatever reason the Reds don't see him as an every day player. I really think in LF Gomes, Heisey and Lewis are about equal and it wouldn't matter that much if one was the every day LF'r---- versus using them alternating.

Agreed. Each has their positives and negatives, and none of them really stands out from the others. I think Heisey has the potential to have the best career out of the 3 though. Unfortunately, our 3 LFs, which have been an issue much of this year, are currently outproducing CF and RF by a wide margin...

DocRed
06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
This is how he SHOULD be used...in a platoon situation. As an everyday player he just puts way to much pressure on himself.

bubbachunk
06-28-2011, 12:52 PM
This is how he SHOULD be used...in a platoon situation. As an everyday player he just puts way to much pressure on himself.

and exposes the fact that he is not an every day player. He is valuable as he is used now.

Redsnake
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
"But damn, can't a guy get a little appreciation?"

.203 AVG. Runners on base
.204 AVG. RISP
.097 AVG. RISP w/2 outs

Not until these numbers can improve. Sure he is hitting better in the last 30 AB, but hitting a meaning-less HR or RBI here and there isn't a reason for me to switch my opinion.

nux fan
06-28-2011, 01:56 PM
what team has a worse left fielder than gomes?