PDA

View Full Version : Reds-Orioles potential trade partners?

Vottomatic
06-26-2011, 10:53 AM
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...opinion_6.html

You can bet Reds executives are watching the Orioles closely during this series because the two teams are actually a pretty good fit for a potential trade. The Reds could use an upgrade at shortstop over Paul Janish, and another solid veteran starting pitcher. J.J. Hardy and Jeremy Guthrie are two Orioles that will surely intrigue them. The Orioles need a young first baseman, which the Reds have in Yonder Alonso, who is blocked by Votto, the reigning National League MVP. They could also use a couple of more position prospects and the Reds have them in Zack Cozart and Todd Frazier among others. The trade market is still about two weeks from heating up, but Orioles President of Baseball Operations Andy MacPhail and Reds General Manager Walt Jocketty are very close friends. They spent time together yesterday and they’ve swung trades with each other before. It’s certainly something to keep an eye on.

I'd only trade for Guthrie if the O's were willing to take Volquez off our hands. Obviously we'd have to throw in another prospect for Guthrie only. If we get both Guthrie and Hardy, I wonder what it would take? Definitely have to include Volquez because of the logjam we'd have in the starting rotation. I would assume they'd want a QUALITY YOUNG starting pitcher and shortstop in return to replace what they lost, obviously.

ruREaDy2
06-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Volquez just yet.

R_Webb18
06-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Volquez just yet.

me neither but i am in cincinnati he should go to the bats

ruREaDy2
06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
me neither but i am in cincinnati he should go to the bats

Can't argue with that Webb. Let's see what the D-Train has left! :beerme:

BluegrassRedleg
06-26-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't see anyone taking Volquez right now. His contract probably negates the chances of that. He'd have to be pitching great for that to happen.

Vottomatic
06-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I can't see anyone taking Volquez right now. His contract probably negates the chances of that. He'd have to be pitching great for that to happen.

Volquez is only making $1.65M this season.

BluegrassRedleg
06-26-2011, 04:15 PM

I don't mean the money as much as the 1-year aspect. It would have to be someone who believes (A) that Volquez is going to turn things around and (B) will resign with them.

Pete4prez
06-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Let's hang onto Volquez for while.

SeeinRed
06-27-2011, 02:05 AM
I don't mean the money as much as the 1-year aspect. It would have to be someone who believes (A) that Volquez is going to turn things around and (B) will resign with them.

Volquez signed a one year contract to avoid going to arbitration. He will still be under team control after the season. That won't be a point of contention. However, trading Volquez right now would be foolish. His value is very low. He may not be pitching well, however he is not as bad as he looks right now. His value will pick back up once he starts pitching better. It would be in the Red's best interest to fix whatever is ailing him before even considering trading him.

As for Guthrie, I'll pass. He would be a very marginal upgrade at best. SS and LF would be my priorities. Hardy may be helpful, but I'd give Cozart a shot first.

brm7675
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Walt has zero plans on any trades....he is just waiting for this team to catch fire...

Girevik
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Given Walt's history, if there is nothing in the works I would tend to think it has more to do with the budget at his disposal than his just waiting.

ntorvik
06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd take Hardy over Janish. I think we could do without Guthrie, especially with Bailey back and Wood in AAA. Let's be honest, Guthrie didn't pitch that much better.

brm7675
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Given Walt's history, if there is nothing in the works I would tend to think it has more to do with the budget at his disposal than his just waiting.

How does bringing up talent from the minor league team cost the team money?

bounty37h
06-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Wish I was "only making $1.65M" to stink at my job.

Girevik
06-27-2011, 04:05 PM
How does bringing up talent from the minor league team cost the team money?

The comment I replied to was about him not making any trades. It had nothing to do with bringing someone up.

Newman4
06-28-2011, 12:27 AM
After watching the O's series and Hardy and Guthrie, I have a couple observations on both players. First, Hardy - seems to have grown as a player since his days with the Brewers and is pretty solid. I would love to see the Reds trade for him and sign him to a 3 year extension. For all those clamoring for Cozart and I have nothing against him, but I seriously don't see him producing like Hardy at the ML level. If he does, Hardy can always move over to 3rd after Rolen is done. As for Guthrie - I'm puzzled why he doesn't have higher K numbers. Throws a nice hard fastball and a nasty slider. I think his numbers would improve in the NL as compared to the AL and in particular the AL East. You see how our Reds have performed against the AL competition. This guy sees them every year. With that said, I would offer a package centered around Alonzo or Volquez. The Rangers acquired Cliff Lee for Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan + and the Phillies got Roy Oswalt for JA Happ + with cash coming back. Guthrie is a step below either and a package of Alonzo + should be sufficient. Adding Hardy may necessitate a bit more quality players, but he is a rental and as a SS trade candidate behind Jose Reyes and also somewhat equitable to Furcal in terms of production. As comparisons, David Dejesus, a similar hitter although Hardy probably more valuable since he plays SS, was traded for two low profile minor leaguers and Dan Uggla, who at the time was probably a step above Hardy, fetched Omar Infante and Mike Dunn. I would propose Guthrie and Hardy for Alonzo, Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco, Paul Janish and two lower level prospects. Feel free to substitute Volquez for Alonzo.