PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Tropicana Field Tuesday

mlh1981
06-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I will be in the Tampa/St. Pete area in Tuesday, and I'm thrilled that the Reds are there.

Anyone ever been to this beautiful, breathtaking facility before?

smoke6
06-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I have. It's weird if you're used to outside baseball... Everything feels much closer. Good times though.

BluegrassRedleg
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
That park is dreadful, but you're going to be treated to one helluva pitching matchup with Cueto vs. Price. Hope it's a good one for you!

40YrRedsFan
06-26-2011, 06:00 PM
IMHO one of the LEAST appealing parks to see a game.

Vottomatic
06-26-2011, 06:03 PM
I hope you go to the game they win. Because they will lose 2 of 3 to be par for the course.

CrosleyField
06-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Very friendly ballpark. But it is really weird going to a game inside.

jwmann2
06-26-2011, 08:04 PM
I hear the ballpark is terrible. Still cool to see a game indoors. And I have yet to see the Reds on the road, def on my bucket list! Have fun at the game!

KYRedLeg
06-27-2011, 03:58 AM
That park is dreadful, but you're going to be treated to one helluva pitching matchup with Cueto vs. Price. Hope it's a good one for you!

I'll be at the game Monday. Cueto is the SP that day, vs Hellickson.

wlf WV
06-27-2011, 07:20 AM
I'll be at the game Monday. Cueto is the SP that day, vs Hellickson.

Leake vs Hellickson according to Cin.com

matt85webb
06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
reds.com and mlb.com show cueto pitching

izzy's dad
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I have been told that park is in a rough area. Anyone know if this is true?

smoke6
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM

There are pretty shady areas nearby yeah, but get there early and park in the lot. Everybody inside the stadium was very friendly.

brm7675
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM

rough area? Really in downtown St. Pete? What do the senior citizens go after people with their walkers?

brm7675
06-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I have been there to see a Arena football game way back. The stadium is in a horrible place in that it is in St. Pete which is boring and rolls up it's sidewalks right after the early bird specials. If you hit the ball to high it hits walkways and such. I doubt there is a worse stadium in baseball since Riverfront, Three Rivers and Vet Stadium were tore down.

mlh1981
06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm at the park right now. Very bizarre looking, but quirky and colorful. Strange being in an indoor stadium.

brm7675
06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm at the park right now. Very bizarre looking, but quirky and colorful. Strange being in an indoor stadium.

Don't forget to pet the Rays...pretty cool..

Newman4
06-28-2011, 09:12 PM
We were on vacation a few years ago and attended a game. I actually liked the stadium and thought the Rays did a nice job trying to make the stadium decent despite the obvious challenges with the structure being built for hockey originally. My wife REALLY liked the indoor baseball after attending so many hot summer games watching the Reds. My daughter petted the rays and liked the experience. My only problem was with the parking. The Rays were playing the Red Sox and the place was crowded which is apparently not always the case of course. We had to park in this parking garage in a business district and ride a free shuttle which was fine prior to the game other than getting there a few minutes late, but was awful afterwards and took us over an hour to get to our car. The Rays fans were very into the game and seemed knowledgeable. Overall, we enjoyed the experience.

brm7675
06-29-2011, 12:49 PM
We were on vacation a few years ago and attended a game. I actually liked the stadium and thought the Rays did a nice job trying to make the stadium decent despite the obvious challenges with the structure being built for hockey originally. My wife REALLY liked the indoor baseball after attending so many hot summer games watching the Reds. My daughter petted the rays and liked the experience. My only problem was with the parking. The Rays were playing the Red Sox and the place was crowded which is apparently not always the case of course. We had to park in this parking garage in a business district and ride a free shuttle which was fine prior to the game other than getting there a few minutes late, but was awful afterwards and took us over an hour to get to our car. The Rays fans were very into the game and seemed knowledgeable. Overall, we enjoyed the experience.

The stadium was built for basebal, it was the hope of the people of St. Pete that with an indoor stadium they could get a major league baseball team. At first the Tampa Bay Storm of the Arena League used it and did okay playing in there, but it was never built for hockey.

The stadium is and was built in a horrible area. If you actually "live" in Tampa Bay you are looking at over an hour drive to get to the ballpark. The area around the park is not much and the downtown ST. Pete rolls up the sidewalks around 7pm.

mlh1981
07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Here are a few of my "action" photos. I LOVED the way these turned out....

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/mlh1981/DSCN0903.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/mlh1981/DSCN0900.jpg

texasdave
07-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice photos. Thanks.