PDA

View Full Version : MLB would block a Kemp trade?

Girevik
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Buster Olney was on Mike and Mike this morning and he speculated that MLB would block a trade of Kemp that the Dodgers would make to reduce payroll. His logic is that the Dodgers will have to be sold sooner than later, and that in order to make the team atractive to a buyer they need guys like Kemp and even Ethier to build around.

texasdave
06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Buster Olney was on Mike and Mike this morning and he speculated that MLB would block a trade of Kemp that the Dodgers would make to reduce payroll. His logic is that the Dodgers will have to be sold sooner than later, and that in order to make the team atractive to a buyer they need guys like Kemp and even Ethier to build around.

Sounds like Seligian logic to me. Presumably, if you are trading Kemp, you are receiving equal or greater value back. Now if it is a straight salary dump that is another thing.
Besides, a franchise in Los Angeles should be valuable in and of itself.

Kingspoint
06-27-2011, 10:01 AM

That's a given.

texasdave
06-27-2011, 10:04 AM

This is not a given. In fact it is kinda naive. These are the Dodgers. The name alone assures it is going to sell. It's the McCourt family's team. If they wants to sell or trade off assets that is their right. I will repeat. These are the Dodgers. This is Los Angeles. That team will sell - Kemp or no Kemp. Have you seen the standings in the last forever? Parity doesn't seem to be a high priority in baseball.

bounty37h
06-27-2011, 10:34 AM
This is not a given. In fact it is kinda naive. These are the Dodgers. The name alone assures it is going to sell. It's the McCourt family's team. If they wants to sell or trade off assets that is their right. I will repeat. These are the Dodgers. This is Los Angeles. That team will sell - Kemp or no Kemp. Have you seen the standings in the last forever? Parity doesn't seem to be a high priority in baseball.

I realize it doesnt work this way, but I see it as someone will buy them no matter what; if they have to sell at a low price and take another hit-thats on them IMO. Cuban would come in and buy them if given a chance.

Kingspoint
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
This happens every year in sports....

A team goes up for sale because of economic instability.

That team is not allowed to trade away it's greatest assets.

It's pretty simple.

bleedsred
06-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Cuban should just buy an NFL team..........say a team like the Bengals

Vottomatic
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Cuban should just buy an NFL team..........say a team like the Bengals

Don't get my hopes up.

OGB
06-27-2011, 04:38 PM

This is absolutely right. One would think that someone with the financial wherewithal to buy a professional sports team would have the business sense to evaluate the organization from top to bottom, from the big league 25, to the minor leagues, to the front office...

In fact, if I were going to buy any team in baseball right now and had Mark Cuban-like assets, I'd be very interested in the Royals. (If you throw all that nonsense about maximum profitability out the window)

wlf WV
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
That dashes my hopes,ever so slim as they were of Kershaw and Furcal with a rental of Kemp for a year or so.

BluegrassRedleg
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Would they block it if a legit offer were made? I don't think so.

izzy's dad
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I can't see Kemp going anywhere. I could see Furcal being had on the cheap.

Kingspoint
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Would they block it if a legit offer were made? I don't think so.

Anything's possible to come out of the crazy brain of Bud Selig.