PDA

View Full Version : Why not give the kid a cup of coffee?

brm7675
06-27-2011, 07:35 PM
According to Fay:

Cather Ryan Hanigan is dealing with strained lat muscle.

Cather Ryan Hanigan is dealing with strained lat muscle.

“It’s been bothering me for a while,” he said. “I usually don’t pay attention to little things like that. But it wasn’t getting an better, so I went to skip and asked for a couple days.”

Hanigan last played on the Saturday. He hopes to return Wednesday’s game.

This does not sound like a situation where Hanigan will end up in the disabled list. But if he did, the Reds would have to decide whether or not to bring up Devin Mesoraco. Given that it would be a short stay on the DL and the four days of the All-Star Break would be part of it, there’s a chance they’d go with Corky Miller instead.

Posted in: News and notes

I say DL Hanigan, that would give him 15 days and the All star break. Call up Mesoraco and see how he does. Opps forgot, we can't call up AAA players ....:thumbdown:

wlf WV
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't expect Mesoraco until Sept.unless we trade a catcher or extended DL.

izzy's dad
06-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't expect Mesoraco until Sept.unless we trade a catcher or extended DL.

Yup. I gotta say I agree, although I am more excited to see what this kid can do more than any other prospect in our system.

BurgervilleBuck
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
"Cather"?

Honestly, does Fay not know how to proofread?

BigPoppa
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
"Cather"?

Honestly, does Fay not know how to proofread?

No, and it's not getting "an better" :laugh:

bshall2105
06-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Mesoraco is not on the 40 man so it's going to take one of the catchers missing a significant amount of time to get him up here.

wlf WV
06-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Yup. I gotta say I agree, although I am more excited to see what this kid can do more than any other prospect in our system.
I'm kinda excited about Sappelt since spring training showed he could hit MLB pitching .

bounty37h
06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Mesoraco is not on the 40 man so it's going to take one of the catchers missing a significant amount of time to get him up here.

The logical answer here.

krm1580
06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't want to see Mesoraco anywhere near Cincinnati until September at the earliest.

Catcher may be the most difficult position to make the jump to in the majors because it is not just making the jump in talent. There is also mental aspect of learning the pitching staff you are receiving as well as calling a game against hitters you don't know.

I think Mesoraco will be good but he is going to struggle at first. Normally that is ok but with the way this team is playing right now there are going to be a lot of people who see Mesoraco as the solution to problems which is not the best environment to walk into. Leave him where he is.

brm7675
06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't want to see Mesoraco anywhere near Cincinnati until September at the earliest.

Catcher may be the most difficult position to make the jump to in the majors because it is not just making the jump in talent. There is also mental aspect of learning the pitching staff you are receiving as well as calling a game against hitters you don't know.

I think Mesoraco will be good but he is going to struggle at first. Normally that is ok but with the way this team is playing right now there are going to be a lot of people who see Mesoraco as the solution to problems which is not the best environment to walk into. Leave him where he is.

If you are okay with him coiming up in Sept, what is the difference between now and then?

Redsnake
06-28-2011, 02:00 PM
If you are okay with him coiming up in Sept, what is the difference between now and then?

Reds can control his future longer.

krm1580
06-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Since you had to ask, the possibility exists that come September the Reds are out of contention for the playoffs. If he is brought up once the Reds are eliminated it is unlikely he will be under pressure to save the season since it will be lost.

Ideally I would prefer him up next year out of spring training once we lose Hernandez.