PDA

View Full Version : Boxberger Promoted

cinreds21
06-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Right-handed pitcher Brad Boxberger has been promoted to the Triple-A Louisville Bats. Boxberger, a 2009 supplemental first rounder out of USC, threw a perfect ninth inning Monday night for the Carolina Mudcats, striking out the side. Boxberger made 30 appearances out of the Mudcats bullpen, going 1-2 with a 1.31 ERA and 57 strikeouts. Righty Brandon Hynick will take Boxberger's place on the Mudcats roster.

Homer Bailey
06-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Right-handed pitcher Brad Boxberger has been promoted to the Triple-A Louisville Bats. Boxberger, a 2009 supplemental first rounder out of USC, threw a perfect ninth inning Monday night for the Carolina Mudcats, striking out the side. Boxberger made 30 appearances out of the Mudcats bullpen, going 1-2 with a 1.31 ERA and 57 strikeouts. Righty Brandon Hynick will take Boxberger's place on the Mudcats roster.

Whoa. WHOA.

WHOA!

The DARK
06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Wow. I knew he was good, but I never knew he was dealing like that. As good as our bullpen is and slim as our 40-man spots are, I wouldn't mind him being fast-tracked at this point.

corkedbat
06-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Would not shock me to see him in Cincy by year's end if he fares well in L'Ville

nate1213
06-28-2011, 02:50 AM
What is Boxberger's secondary stuff? And I have heard he has topped out at 97-98, is that true?

cinreds21
06-28-2011, 04:43 AM
His slider and changeup are good. I don't know how it ranks within the system, but they are pretty nasty. I think Box sat more between 94-96

HalKing
06-28-2011, 05:30 AM
:)Well this is some good news. I've been looking forward to seeing this kid. And as good as the Bats are and have been all season, relief pitching is not their strong suit. I've grown tired of seeing Rick Sweet's best options being recycled AAA fodder like Stephen Jackson and David Johnson. I've actually found myself missing Danny Herrera since he departed... and that's sayin something.

dougdirt
06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
His slider and changeup are good. I don't know how it ranks within the system, but they are pretty nasty. I think Box sat more between 94-96

He sits there, but I have personally seen him throw 98 MPH on a team gun.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Louisville is absolutely loaded.

Benihana
06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Louisville is absolutely loaded.

Yeah they are. Hopefully between this and the Grandal promotion, they will be catalysts to other promotions. I'm specifically thinking about Daniel Corcino and Josh Smith to Bakersfield.

lollipopcurve
06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm specifically thinking about Daniel Corcino and Josh Smith to Bakersfield.

I'll be surprised if they send both up. I am pretty sure they want to keep this Dayton team playing meaningful games all year.

Benihana
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I'll be surprised if they send both up. I am pretty sure they want to keep this Dayton team playing meaningful games all year.

You sound like Marc Katz ;)

I'm more concerned about prospect development than a minor league team's W-L record. Regardless, hopefully they'll have a healthy Kyle Lotzkar to anchor the rotation in the second half. Throw in Johnson, Tuttle, and Gerson (who belongs there IMO) and they should still have a decent staff. I could also see some of this year's college arms like Cingrani, McMyne, and Cole Green once signed there within a few weeks.

Meanwhile, a big three of Corcino, Sulbaran, and Smith in Bakersfield would be pretty nasty in the second half.

lollipopcurve
06-28-2011, 10:26 AM
You sound like Marc Katz

I'm more concerned about prospect development than a minor league team's W-L record. Regardless, hopefully they'll have a healthy Kyle Lotzkar to anchor the rotation in the second half. Throw in Johnson, Tuttle, and Gerson (who belongs there IMO) and they should still have a decent staff. I could also see some of this year's college arms like Cingrani, McMyne, and Cole Green once signed there within a few weeks.

Meanwhile, a big three of Corcino, Sulbaran, and Smith in Bakersfield would be pretty nasty in the second half.

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like Katz, but I know I do.

Big summer in Dayton, what with the sellout streak and all. And there has been a long streak of losing teams there. Could be the organization is going to reward its truly exceptional affiliate with as exceptional a team as it can reasonably put there.

Smith, because of his age, is a better bet to go up than Corcino. I think you're right about Lotzkar -- if he can get it together, it could free them up to lose Smith. Good point also about Gerson -- he's been impressive so far. Hard to know what's up with Johnson and Tuttle -- but again, I think you're right that they're guys who could be placed back in the Dayton rotation. I doubt McMyne or Green goes to Dayton to start -- they've had full college seasons and I think the Reds will limit their innings.

There is something to be said for building a winning expectation and a winning culture. Redsof72 has preached about it here re: the Dayton teams for a couple years now. With the premium prospects they've gathered there, you have to think the organization is going to make some kind of statement with its promotions, or lack of them, re: how important it feels winning is to development. And my guess -- just a guess -- is that they'll say winning is an important ingredient.

Tony Cloninger
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Whoa. WHOA.

WHOA!

He has only thrown 34.1 innings. It's not like he is being used like Scott Sullivan.

krm1580
06-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Probably a little off topic, but has the ship sailed on Boxberger being a starter?

BakoTheTako
06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
He has only thrown 34.1 innings. It's not like he is being used like Scott Sullivan.

Not sure if you're joking but he was referring to amount of strikeouts in those 30 appearances.

Hoosier Red
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Not sure if you're joking but he was referring to amount of strikeouts in those 30 appearances.

Yes, it was more of Joey Lawrence "Whoa" than a John Wayne "Whoa."

dougdirt
06-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Probably a little off topic, but has the ship sailed on Boxberger being a starter?

Yes, at least with the Reds.

_Sir_Charles_
06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I don't mean to sound like Katz, but I know I do.

Big summer in Dayton, what with the sellout streak and all. And there has been a long streak of losing teams there. Could be the organization is going to reward its truly exceptional affiliate with as exceptional a team as it can reasonably put there.

Smith, because of his age, is a better bet to go up than Corcino. I think you're right about Lotzkar -- if he can get it together, it could free them up to lose Smith. Good point also about Gerson -- he's been impressive so far. Hard to know what's up with Johnson and Tuttle -- but again, I think you're right that they're guys who could be placed back in the Dayton rotation. I doubt McMyne or Green goes to Dayton to start -- they've had full college seasons and I think the Reds will limit their innings.

There is something to be said for building a winning expectation and a winning culture. Redsof72 has preached about it here re: the Dayton teams for a couple years now. With the premium prospects they've gathered there, you have to think the organization is going to make some kind of statement with its promotions, or lack of them, re: how important it feels winning is to development. And my guess -- just a guess -- is that they'll say winning is an important ingredient.

I've always wondered why the Reds don't simply re-shuffle the affiliates. Why not make the high-drawing Dayton Dragons become their AAA affiliate and move AA to Louisville and A to Bakersfield? Dayton has always drawn really well, just seems to make sense to plant their highest prospects there to attract more fans to the Reds.

cinreds21
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
The Reds do not have any control of that since they don't own their affiliates. It's not as simple of "let's make Dayton Triple-A and just move Louisville to Low-A."

GOYA
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Dayton is averaging 8304 and Louisville is averaging 8726. Carolina is only 3394 but doesn't really come into play. Bakersfield comes in at a whopping 550 per game.

camisadelgolf
06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Dayton is averaging 8304 and Louisville is averaging 8726. Carolina is only 3394 but doesn't really come into play. Bakersfield comes in at a whopping 550 per game.
And keep in mind that less than that many people actually show up to the game. I'd have to think there are several dozen cities that could outdraw Bakersfield with only a remotely decent venue.

Sea Ray
06-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Has Boxberger been used as a closer this year? If so what has been his numbers on saves/save ops?

medford
06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
As others have said, its not as easy as moving one team from High A to low A (though wasn't Dayton a "high A" affilate their first season (in same low-A league) as they shuffled things around a bit before settling into low A status permantly. I believe Kearns/Dunn played the prior season in "low A" clinton, their second season in "high A" dayton, then up the latter to Chattanooga, Louisiville and the Reds.

Dayton would likely have to move leagues in order to become a AA or AAA team. I'd imagine that's not as easy as it sounds, and may make it hard to remain a Reds affiliate. At any rate, I kind of like having Dayton as the low A affiliate. Despite being skipped over by more polished draftees like Leake, Yonder & Grandal, Dayton is the unofficial starting point for many Reds fan's interest in certain prospects. It was the first chance for many of us to see Howington, Grueler, Dunn, Kearns, Mes, Wily Mo, Cueto, Votto, etc... Most of those guys spent a season or more in lower level affiliates, or even different organizations in Wily Mo's case, but the average Reds fan that pays little attention to the MLB draft, international signings, or DSL/VSL/Arizona/Billings box scores, its where they first become familar with a prospect.

Its where I saw the speed and power that Wily Mo first flashed, its where I saw Homer throw fastballs the competition couldn't catch up with, its where I once saw Janish hit a homer up near the concecession stand in LF, where despite claims that he was an all field, no stick prospect, Zach Cozart really impressed me with his bat one evening when friends forced us out of the house after the birth of our son w/ tickets behind home plate and a night of baby sitting. For many Dayton area fans, which comprises a significant portion of the Reds fan base, many players end up become fan favorites, or future stars, it gives us a reason to pay attention to the AA & AAA team to see how our former Dragon favorites are doing, it gives us a little bit of excitement and a trip back memory lane every time a former Dragon makes his MLB debut some 3-5 seasons of polish later.

I think its also good for the Reds. In AAA guys are suppose to be ready for a call up on a moments notice. In Dayton, they get the chance to spend a full season despite any flaws to work things out, close to the eyes of the Reds brass. I like the setup and the league that the Dragons find themselves in. There are stars that burn bright, ones you just hope keep on running towards the show, knowing that most are likely to flame out.

dougdirt
06-28-2011, 05:18 PM
As others have said, its not as easy as moving one team from High A to low A (though wasn't Dayton a "high A" affilate their first season (in same low-A league) as they shuffled things around a bit before settling into low A status permantly. I believe Kearns/Dunn played the prior season in "low A" clinton, their second season in "high A" dayton, then up the latter to Chattanooga, Louisiville and the Reds.

Dayton would likely have to move leagues in order to become a AA or AAA team. I'd imagine that's not as easy as it sounds, and may make it hard to remain a Reds affiliate. At any rate, I kind of like having Dayton as the low A affiliate. Despite being skipped over by more polished draftees like Leake, Yonder & Grandal, Dayton is the unofficial starting point for many Reds fan's interest in certain prospects. It was the first chance for many of us to see Howington, Grueler, Dunn, Kearns, Mes, Wily Mo, Cueto, Votto, etc... Most of those guys spent a season or more in lower level affiliates, or even different organizations in Wily Mo's case, but the average Reds fan that pays little attention to the MLB draft, international signings, or DSL/VSL/Arizona/Billings box scores, its where they first become familar with a prospect.

Its where I saw the speed and power that Wily Mo first flashed, its where I saw Homer throw fastballs the competition couldn't catch up with, its where I once saw Janish hit a homer up near the concecession stand in LF, where despite claims that he was an all field, no stick prospect, Zach Cozart really impressed me with his bat one evening when friends forced us out of the house after the birth of our son w/ tickets behind home plate and a night of baby sitting. For many Dayton area fans, which comprises a significant portion of the Reds fan base, many players end up become fan favorites, or future stars, it gives us a reason to pay attention to the AA & AAA team to see how our former Dragon favorites are doing, it gives us a little bit of excitement and a trip back memory lane every time a former Dragon makes his MLB debut some 3-5 seasons of polish later.

I think its also good for the Reds. In AAA guys are suppose to be ready for a call up on a moments notice. In Dayton, they get the chance to spend a full season despite any flaws to work things out, close to the eyes of the Reds brass. I like the setup and the league that the Dragons find themselves in. There are stars that burn bright, ones you just hope keep on running towards the show, knowing that most are likely to flame out.

Dayton was just a second low A team for the Reds that first season.

As for Dayton moving to another organization, that simply isn't going to happen. The Dayton franchise has to get permission from the Reds to be in their "market" and I doubt the Reds ever let another team into their "market".

RedLegsToday
06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Bakersfield comes in at a whopping 550 per game.

That's pathetic. Are the Reds stuck with Bakersfield after this year?

camisadelgolf
06-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Yeah, the contract is through 2012. After that, they can negotiate with other teams.

muddie
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM

The Reds have another year in Bakersfield, period. There was a two year agreement signed. In 2013 everyone knows the Advanced A team will be in the friendly confines of Five County Stadium in the Carolina League.:thumbup:

HalKing
06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
The Reds have another year in Bakersfield, period. There was a two year agreement signed. In 2013 everyone knows the Advanced A team will be in the friendly confines of Five County Stadium in the Carolina League.:thumbup:

Not defending Bakersfield, but a lot of those low-A teams have a hard time drawing flies to the games. Damn shame too. A lot of those little parks are awesome to take in a game at. Of course I even enjoy Independent League baseball, so I may just be an oddball.;)

Blitz Dorsey
06-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice! This was long overdue. Say hello to our closer of the future.

camisadelgolf
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Nice! This was long overdue. Say hello to our closer of the future.
Speaking of which, I'm thinking the Reds would rather give Nick Masset a shot before immediately handing the keys over to Boxberger.

RedsManRick
06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Excellent news. I imagine he's in line for a cup of coffee this year at minimum. He would make a nice replacement for Cordero in the pen next year.

_Sir_Charles_
06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
The Reds do not have any control of that since they don't own their affiliates. It's not as simple of "let's make Dayton Triple-A and just move Louisville to Low-A."

Ummm..okay. That seems odd. So how do they get set to specific levels? Who makes that distinction?

I would think with the 2 cities as close as they are, that a change in league wouldn't be that difficult. It's no big deal, it just seemed like a logical thing to do for both Dayton and the Reds.

cinreds21
06-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Ummm..okay. That seems odd. So how do they get set to specific levels? Who makes that distinction?

I would think with the 2 cities as close as they are, that a change in league wouldn't be that difficult. It's no big deal, it just seemed like a logical thing to do for both Dayton and the Reds.

I mean it's been done. Durham was a High-A team for years and then moved to the International League as a Triple-A affiliate. However I think it was easier because a new team was coming in ( Tampa)

bellhead
06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Do you guys agree if he comes out and == Masset or Logan then the pick was either a success or a disappointment.

For me I if he comes up and gives the Reds 4 to 5 years of good relief at a cheap price then I think the pick was very good.

dougdirt
06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
If a draft pick provides any value to the MLB team, it was a success. Most draft picks don't make the Majors, much less contribute.

camisadelgolf
06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Excellent news. I imagine he's in line for a cup of coffee this year at minimum. He would make a nice replacement for Cordero in the pen next year.
The Reds would need to clear a 40-man roster spot for him, which makes me doubtful that he's going to get a 'minimum' of a cup of coffee this year.

cinreds21
06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Ya I don't think he gets to the show this year.

Blitz Dorsey
06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
How great is that '09 draft going to be looking back on it if both Leake and Boxberger pan out. Not to mention Billy Hamilton and the rest of the prospects the Reds reeled in that year. (OK, so I did mention Billy Hamilton.)

Blitz Dorsey
06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
If a draft pick provides any value to the MLB team, it was a success. Most draft picks don't make the Majors, much less contribute.

It's changing though; wouldn't you agree Doug? We're seeing a higher percentage of first-round picks as the starters on MLB teams (and the stars in a lot of cases). In past years, what you say was true even for first-rounders. But these days, more and more first-rounders are making it to the Big Leagues. Scouting departments are doing a better job each year with the draft. We're seeing more 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks make MLB rosters and less 20th and 30th round guys. (There's always been more 2nd-4th rounders than 20th-30th rounders, I'm just saying even more of the early-round draft picks are making it these days because teams are doing a better job of drafting.)

So, in this day and age, I wouldn't say just eventually making it to the Majors and contributing in a small way is enough for a first-round pick. But for pretty much everyone else, even compensatory first-rounders and second-rounders, I agree it's tough to even make the Majors at all. But these days, you better not whiff on your first round pick or it is going to cost you in the long-run. Well, maybe not once or twice, but if you make a pattern out of whiffing on your first-round picks, you have no shot (unless you're a team like the Yankees or Red Sox).

edabbs44
06-28-2011, 09:57 PM
How great is that '09 draft going to be looking back on it if both Leake and Boxberger pan out. Not to mention Billy Hamilton and the rest of the prospects the Reds reeled in that year. (OK, so I did mention Billy Hamilton.)

Going back to the '09 draft, here are some of the accolades that rained down on the pick of Boxberger:

That's awful. Way to blow a chance at a great pick.

Great job Reds. Way to screw up the supplemental pick.

The Rangers select Tanner Scheppers. Must be nice. Smart organization.

Can I please say something completely awful about the Reds, Buckley and all? Freaking unbelievable tightwad franchise. Too much talent they have passed on because Buckley can't differentiate between great and bust so he is a safe picking marginal talent evaluator. Pure unadulterated crap!!!!

All that talent available and the Reds draft the 69th rated player. Boxberger walked 50 batters in 99 innings. Awesome.

That's horrible.

The optimist in me says they're saving money for either a Holliday/Rios acquisition or for making another splash in Latin America. The realist in me says they're just really cheap and blew a golden opportunity. :thumbdown

Just another example of why not to get too crazed on draft day. Meanwhile, Scheppers has had injury issues and he was the runaway consensus BPA at the time.

Tony Cloninger
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Yes..i was confused and thought he was talking about how he was being over used....since there are a lot of posters who get all worked up if any pitcher looks like they might go over 100-110 pitches or get used a lot as a reliever (A lot meaning....every other day or 2)

camisadelgolf
06-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I remember hearing the pick and thinking, "Thank god it wasn't Scheppers." His mechanics are godawful.

Edd Roush
06-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Is this just wishful thinking on your part or do the Reds actually have a gentlemen't agreement to return to Zebulon?

cinreds21
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Is this just wishful thinking on your part or do the Reds actually have a gentlemen't agreement to return to Zebulon?

No they don't. But the Reds do want to come back.

Edd Roush
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
No they don't. But the Reds do want to come back.

Thanks for the info as always, cinreds. This team would compete in the same league as Lynchburg correct. Which major league team would have players in Zebulon next year?

cinreds21
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info as always, cinreds. This team would compete in the same league as Lynchburg correct. Which major league team would have players in Zebulon next year?

Yes, we'll be in the Carolina League. We'll be the Single-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians for 2012. Then after that we'll likely get with Atlanta or Cincy (from what I've heard.)

Edd Roush
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes, we'll be in the Carolina League. We'll be the Single-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians for 2012. Then after that we'll likely get with Atlanta or Cincy (from what I've heard.)

So there's no interest in staying with the Tribe after 2012? I really hope the Reds are back in Zebulon in 2013. Bakersfield is so far away and seems miserable.

RedLegsToday
06-30-2011, 09:32 AM
So, haven't followed the minor league game threads. Has Box pitched in AAA yet?

Edd Roush
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
So, haven't followed the minor league game threads. Has Box pitched in AAA yet?

Box made his AAA debut last night and got Dontrelle out of a two on, one-out jam in the seventh. Apparently, Sappelt made a good catch on a liner in the left-center gap to prevent any of the inherited runners from scoring. Box threw 10 pitches, 7 of which were strikes.

RedLegsToday
06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Box made his AAA debut last night and got Dontrelle out of a two on, one-out jam in the seventh.

cool. Thanks for the info!