PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question

Slyder
06-29-2011, 01:37 AM
First off: I don't get to see many of the games because I am usually working in the evenings. But it seems more often then not when we lose like last night, it is because we choose to pitch to the teams best player. Whether its Pujols in St Louis or Longoria in Tampa, etc. Meanwhile anything remotely high pressure results in Votto not getting anything remotely tempting to swing at.

A) Do I have a selective memory?
B) Is this how others view it?
C) Is this Dusty "trusting" the guys he has?
D) Other?

Really want to know what others thinks because this is something that (when I have gotten to watch) drives me up a wall.

BearcatShane
06-29-2011, 02:27 AM
I mean besides tonight when has someones best player beat us? An aging Chipper beat us in Atlanta, Orlando hudson beat us in SD, Raul Ibanez beat us in Philly.

PuffyPig
06-29-2011, 06:45 AM
selective memory....

traderumor
06-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Votto had game winning HRs vs. Milwaukee, a three run homer that blew open a close game and a game winning single in Los Angeles in the month of June. That I'm remembering off the top of my head.

Roy Tucker
06-29-2011, 07:55 AM
I can see pitching around Pujols and making just putting him on. I fear Pujols. Maybe a couple other guys like Kemp or Howard I'll be very careful with and pitch Votto-like. But Evan Longoria? He's a good player, but hardly a Pujols.

Its baseball. You go after guys.

traderumor
06-29-2011, 07:59 AM
And Longoria has had a rough season so far. I imagine Cordero talked to Ondrusek after the game: "no inside pitches in the late innings."

RedLegsToday
06-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I imagine Cordero talked to Ondrusek after the game: "no inside pitches in the late innings."

I'm more upset that Cordero wasn't pitching the ninth. I would think that using your best reliever against the opposition's best hitters in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game is a no-brainer. He's hardly pitched lately (only 1 appearance since the 19th) and he's your bullpen ace. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Nasty_Boy
06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm more upset that Cordero wasn't pitching the ninth. I would think that using your best reliever against the opposition's best hitters in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game is a no-brainer. He's hardly pitched lately (only 1 appearance since the 19th) and he's your bullpen ace. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I'm with you on this... I want to see our best reliever in high leverage situations, not just save situations. I'm more than fine with Bray being used against Damon in the 8th, but if that were a RH I would want Coco out there. Even as little as Coco has been used there is no way Dusty would use him for a 4 out save, even with the game in the balance.

_Sir_Charles_
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Longoria is a talented kid, don't get me wrong, but he's struggled considerably this year. I don't think he's the best player on their team right now. But I do see the OP point. Frustrating.

signalhome
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm with you on this... I want to see our best reliever in high leverage situations, not just save situations. I'm more than fine with Bray being used against Damon in the 8th, but if that were a RH I would want Coco out there. Even as little as Coco has been used there is no way Dusty would use him for a 4 out save, even with the game in the balance.

Very few things frustrate me more than a manager not using his best reliever in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game. Who cares that it isn't a save situation -- if the opposition scores, you lose, so put your best pitcher out there.

Big Klu
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Very few things frustrate me more than a manager not using his best reliever in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game. Who cares that it isn't a save situation -- if the opposition scores, you lose, so put your best pitcher out there.

His agent cares. "You have taken a potential save opportunity away from my client, which affects his ability to get paid, which in turn affects MY ability to get paid!"

I agree with you. From a baseball standpoint, I want my best out there in that situation, and then work backward in extra innings, if necessary--Cordero, Massett, Ondrusek, then LeCure. But the economics of baseball are a factor that cannot be ignored.