PDA

View Full Version : Cards Release Ryan Franklin

TheBigLebowski
06-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Geez, did his career fall apart seemingly overnight, or what?

AintlifeGrande
06-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Dave Duncans magic finally wore off.

Magdal
06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Dave Duncans magic finally wore off.

Or PED's

brm7675
06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Gee wonder how long till Walt signs him...

Magdal
06-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Gee wonder how long till Walt signs him...

Good question.

Vottomatic
06-29-2011, 06:42 PM
How is Carpenter going to explain that to his son?

redsfanmia
06-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Not sure if this comment works in the minors.

brm7675
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
So the Cards have now eaten two pitchers contracts in less then a few weeks because they were not getting the job done....and we wonder why the Cards are a better run organization then the Reds.....

Razzle
06-29-2011, 09:35 PM
So the Cards have now eaten two pitchers contracts in less then a few weeks because they were not getting the job done....and we wonder why the Cards are a better run organization then the Reds.....

It took two and a half months of a near 9 ERA to dump Franklin and awful peripherals with an ERA that was smoke and mirrors to dump Batista. This should not be seen as an accolade for the Cards organization. Batista and Franklin forced the hand of the Cardinals by being putrid.

DocRed
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
2 down...2 to go

BLark = HOF
06-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Tells me the Cards know when it's time to dump people. And also tells me that we'll be signing him soon.

LeDoux
06-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Hats off to Franklin, in previous years he was sure was tough on the Reds.

I'd say the Cards made a good move, but I don't know who will take his place.

Vottomatic
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Reds will sign him. Dusty will make him the setup man and stick with him, believing that the more he pitches him that he will eventually "find it" again and become a force, just like what he did with Jonny Gomes. Meanwhile, the Reds will lose 60% of their games while he lets Franklin "find it" again. :D

Magdal
06-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Tells me the Cards know when it's time to dump people. And also tells me that we'll be signing him soon.Not really. They kept the putrid Ankiel for 10 frickin' years before dumping him!

Franklin would still be on the team if not for a St. Louis writer (Bernie Mitzlak) who called the team out on basically having a 24 man roster because Franklin was just sitting on the bench collecting pay. Razzle said it right.

What Cincy needs is for the press to use it's juice, like the Post Dispatch did in St. Louis.

texasdave
06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Not really. They kept the putrid Ankiel for 10 frickin' years before dumping him!

Franklin would still be on the team if not for a St. Louis writer (Bernie Mitzlak) who called the team out on basically having a 24 man roster because Franklin was just sitting on the bench collecting pay. Razzle said it right.

What Cincy needs is for the press to use it's juice, like the Post Dispatch did in St. Louis.

LOL. John "Juice" Fay. I love it.

Krawhitham
06-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Carpenter better worry about explaining his own numbers to his son

The Cards are 6 - 11 in games he has started

BurgervilleBuck
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
It's a shame, then, that Cincy's press needs a spellchecker like Natalie Wood needed a life preserver.

(too soon?)

Old NDN
06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
It tells me the Cards were finally tired of the bad showings by Franklin, and dumped him. Unlike the Reds, who apparently are not yet tired of, or aware of, those shortcomings on their team.

smixsell
06-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Incoherently and effeminately of course. :)

nux fan
06-30-2011, 08:17 PM
orioles gave the cards a lot of trouble I see

Magdal
07-01-2011, 02:13 AM
orioles gave the cards a lot of trouble I seeFreese and Punto returned, and the O's pitchers were less than steller. The Cards getting the .360 hitting, good field Freese back is huge. Losing Franklin is huge.

When Craig and Pujols return, that will be huge. The Redlegs need to stay close for a shot at the post season. I don't see the resurgent Pirates making it, and I hate the Brews too much to think they will.

texasdave
07-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Is Freese brittle? Did he just suffer a couple of freak injuries? He seems to not be able to stay on the field for long stretches of time.

Razzle
07-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Is Freese brittle? Did he just suffer a couple of freak injuries? He seems to not be able to stay on the field for long stretches of time.

The injury this year was more of a freak injury as he was hit by a pitch on the hand. Last year's injury was an ankle injury I believe that occurred rounding third. He's kind of received the label as being brittle, but I think it's overblown based on what we've seen to this point.

Defacto
07-01-2011, 09:54 AM

The Cardinals signed Batista to a minor league deal, I wouldn't say they've "eaten" two pitchers contracts. Only one.

Defacto
07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Not really. They kept the putrid Ankiel for 10 frickin' years before dumping him!

I don't think Miklasz influenced the Cardinals decision, but it was a very good article.

Magdal
07-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't think Miklasz influenced the Cardinals decision, but it was a very good article.You under estimate the power of the press. Frank had not been in a game for over a week but the day of the article he pitched. One week later he is gone.

He sucked for 3 months and was being hidden on the bench. The fans were appeased. Out of sight, out of mind. Then the article and BAM! This Bernie guy is the only writer that challenges LaRussa. (I will show you in a few minutes)

Magdal
07-01-2011, 12:30 PM
The big fat guy is Bernie

YouTube - ‪Tony La Russa Confronts Reporter‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64Ae58SvEk&feature=related)

bounty37h
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
The big fat guy is Bernie

YouTube - ‪Tony La Russa Confronts Reporter‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64Ae58SvEk&feature=related)

and the whiny rat face is Tony.

Wonderful Monds
07-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Freese and Punto returned, and the O's pitchers were less than steller. The Cards getting the .360 hitting, good field Freese back is huge. Losing Franklin is huge.

When Craig and Pujols return, that will be huge. The Redlegs need to stay close for a shot at the post season. I don't see the resurgent Pirates making it, and I hate the Brews too much to think they will.
Freeze won't continue to bat .360 though, and UZR has him as being just a tick below average in the field.

Magdal
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Freeze won't continue to bat .360 though, and UZR has him as being just a tick below average in the field.LOL...even if he continued to bat .360, he would still stub his toe and be out for another 2 months!

jnewm777
07-02-2011, 07:11 PM
You mean you can actually release a guys when he isn't performing? Don't tell Walt or some of the Reds might be working at the Citgo this time next week. I'd hate for that to happen.

NCCardfan
07-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Franklin was smoke and mirrors for most of his career, watching him come in in 2009 or 2010 was asking for people to have a stroke and this year the smoke was gone and so was his mirror.

I hope for your sake that Walt doesn't think he can help your team, RF is toast. JMO