PDA

View Full Version : Astros to the AL? (Realignment)

WVRed
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Looks like Nolan Ryan is in favor of it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6719703

If I had to see a NL team switch divisions, it would be the Diamondbacks, just based on seniority.

Just do a five team, 3 division format. Switch the Astros to the AL West to make it even.

NL East-
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Florida
New York Mets
Washington

NL Central-
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh
St Louis

NL West-
Colorado
Houston
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco

AL East-
Baltimore
Boston
NY Yankees
Tampa Bay
Toronto

AL Central-
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City
Minnesota

AL West-
Anaheim
Arizona
Oakland
Seattle
Texas

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-30-2011, 12:14 PM
It makes sense for Houston to go to the AL, in my opinion. Being geographically isolated like they are, the Rangers are the only team realistically close to them to develop some sort of rivalry. The Astros certainly don't belong in a division with the Reds, Pirates, etc. Those teams are just too far away.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Houston is also the furthest west of any non-west team.

Their move to the AL West makes too much sense.

I(heart)Freel
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm not in favor of a club that has just embarked on a rebuilding project leaving the Reds' division.

Categorically opposed, actually.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm not in favor of a club that has just embarked on a rebuilding project leaving the Reds' division.

Categorically opposed, actually.

But visits to Houston have historically been nightmarish for the Reds. Although we're beating them up now, it wasn't too long ago that they just dominated series against Cincinnati. Roy Oswalt's absurd 20-1 (or whatever it was at one time) record vs. the Reds is proof of that.

I(heart)Freel
06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
But visits to Houston have historically been nightmarish for the Reds. Although we're beating them up now, it wasn't too long ago that they just dominated series against Cincinnati. Roy Oswalt's absurd 20-1 (or whatever it was at one time) record vs. the Reds is proof of that.

Think about the Reds' teams for the next 3-4 years.
Think about the Astros' team for the next 3-4 years.

Yea... I want them to stay with us. The thinking might be myopic and certainly ignores the past, but that's my logic.

For that matter, I hate the one division realignment idea for the same reason. The Reds are *presumably* starting their window for NL Central domination. On paper, of course. I want this exact division intact whilst our fruit ripens!

MikeThierry
06-30-2011, 04:25 PM
There is a lot of young talent on the Astros so I think they will be good in a couple of years.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
There is a lot of young talent on the Astros so I think they will be good in a couple of years.

Really?

I thought they had the worst farm system in baseball.

Brutus
06-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Though it won't happen, I would send Houston, Arizona and Colorado to the AL West, then Oakland and Seattle to the NL West.

This would leave the AL West with Houston, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Anaheim and then the NL would have Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, the Los Angeles and San Diego.

camisadelgolf
06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Though it won't happen, I would send Houston, Arizona and Colorado to the AL West, then Oakland and Seattle to the NL West.

This would leave the AL West with Houston, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Anaheim and then the NL would have Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, the Los Angeles and San Diego.
How do you think MLB would feel about having Oakland and San Francisco in the same league and division? If that's the hangup, what about San Diego and Colorado to the AL West with Houston and Texas to the NL West? It would at least involve less teams switching leagues and divisions.

AL West
LA of Anaheim
Colorado
Oakland
San Diego
Seattle

NL West
Arizona
Houston
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Texas

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
How do you think MLB would feel about having Oakland and San Francisco in the same league and division? If that's the hangup, what about San Diego and Colorado to the AL West with Houston and Texas to the NL West? It would at least involve less teams switching leagues and divisions.

AL West
LA of Anaheim
Colorado
Oakland
San Diego
Seattle

NL West
Arizona
Houston
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Texas

:thumbdown:
I'm against anything that takes the Rockies and Coors Field out of the NL.

Tom Servo
06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
I like WVRed's idea best. Just move the D'Backs, who have little in the way of history and tradition in the NL outside of their Johnson/Schilling World Series win, to the AL and slide Houston from the Central to the West.

_Sir_Charles_
06-30-2011, 07:31 PM

Jason Castro, once he gets healthy, is a nice looking young catcher. He's probably their best prospect at this point (although I'm not familiar with who they drafted this year). Other than him, they've got Brett Wallace, Hunter Pence & Michael Bourn. All three of these guys can be pretty decent players from time to time. They can also disappear completely for long stretches. Outside of that group, the drop off is rather dramatic. Chris Johnson has a bit of potential...but at third base he'll have to reach all of it in order to not be a below average bat at the hot corner.

In terms of pitching...the cupboard is bare. Wandy Rodriguez still probably has the highest upside, but he is not trending in the right direction the past year or so. JA Happ....I just don't know WHAT to make out of this guy. He's kind of the Astros version of what Kyle Loshe used to be...horrible most of the time and then all of a sudden he'll throw a gem. Up and down. Brett Myers, smoke & mirrors. Bud Norris, nice stuff...10 cent head.

The sad thing is, people were thinking that their starting pitching was going to be their STRONG point. LOL. I knew that wasn't going to be the case. But to suggest they've got a bright future is to ignore the fact that they may very well have the single most horrible farm system in the majors. It's bare up and down the system. Nope, the Astros should be pretty darned bad for a long while.

KronoRed
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
I like WVRed's idea best. Just move the D'Backs, who have little in the way of history and tradition in the NL outside of their Johnson/Schilling World Series win, to the AL and slide Houston from the Central to the West.

Then you have the astros in the same place as the rangers,two timezones away from most of their division. Ugh

IslandRed
06-30-2011, 08:04 PM
How do you think MLB would feel about having Oakland and San Francisco in the same league and division?

They wouldn't want it. There are reasons every two-team market has one team in one league and the other in the other.

And for that reason, I'm not sure Houston to the AL is their first choice. That move would leave an awfully large geographic footprint that would never see a NL team except for the stray interleague series.

Me too. It's probably the easiest -- if Arizona would go for it.

Brutus
06-30-2011, 08:08 PM
They wouldn't want it. There are reasons every two-team market has one team in one league and the other in the other.

And for that reason, I'm not sure Houston to the AL is their first choice. That move would leave an awfully large geographic footprint that would never see a NL team except for the stray interleague series.

Yeah that's definitely the reason I qualified it as being improbable. Because Oakland is in one of the largest markets, they would want them split up from San Francisco.

camisadelgolf
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm with Sir Charles. Granted, Hunter Pence is a nice piece to build around. However, Jason Castro is a huge question mark with only a so-so ceiling. I like Brett Wallace, but I don't project him to be anything elite. Chris Johnson is mediocre. The starting rotation looks decent, but it's not good enough to carry them. Except for their recent top draft picks (and even Deshields Jr. is looking like he's probably a bust), their top prospects project to be spare parts. I think Houston is looking at a run that could rival Pittsburgh's.

cincinnati chili
06-30-2011, 11:20 PM
"One proposal would eliminate the three divisions, and the 15 teams in each league could compete for 10 playoff spots -- five in each league."

Boy would I be in favor of this. This would almost assure that sub-90-win teams never make the playoffs and that 95-win-plus teams always make the playoffs. This is fair. I'm for fair.

I've heard the Astros are not in favor of the move, and as the Cubs have shown in the past (via litigation) it's not easy to force a team to switch divisions, let alone leagues.

One bone I think Selig could throw to the Western Division teams in the Central time zone is to stipulate that no Pacific time zone games can start after 6:05 local time against teams (such as the Astros) who willingly move West. This will help with tv ratings. I realize it still means increased travel, but Houston's not exactly close to any other major league city.

fearofpopvol1
06-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Personally, I'd rather see the Brew Crew go back to the AL where they once were instead.

_Sir_Charles_
07-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm with Sir Charles. Granted, Hunter Pence is a nice piece to build around. However, Jason Castro is a huge question mark with only a so-so ceiling. I like Brett Wallace, but I don't project him to be anything elite. Chris Johnson is mediocre. The starting rotation looks decent, but it's not good enough to carry them. Except for their recent top draft picks (and even Deshields Jr. is looking like he's probably a bust), their top prospects project to be spare parts. I think Houston is looking at a run that could rival Pittsburgh's.

Yep, until they get it in their heads that they've GOT to revamp the farm system...they're going to struggle for a long while. They've been pillaging that farm for the past 10 years in order to bring in the higher priced vets via trades. Their own screw ups are coming home to roost.

savafan
07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Personally, I'd rather see the Brew Crew go back to the AL where they once were instead.

This. I was just coming here to say this. It makes the most sense.

IslandRed
07-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Yep, until they get it in their heads that they've GOT to revamp the farm system...they're going to struggle for a long while. They've been pillaging that farm for the past 10 years in order to bring in the higher priced vets via trades. Their own screw ups are coming home to roost.

The farm-depleting trades used to be an issue, but I don't really remember them shipping off any top prospects for veterans in the last 2-3 seasons. Of course, there are good reasons for that: (1) they haven't been contenders since 2008, and (2) they haven't hardly had any top prospects. The second is the real problem -- they haven't drafted worth a rip. Like you said, they have to get that fixed before they'll get anywhere.

paintmered
10-12-2011, 07:19 PM
The latest from Peter Gammons via Twitter.

Houston ownership change expected to go through in mid-November, w/ AL move.

http://twitter.com/#!/pgammo/status/124120265784442880

savafan
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
I'd honestly prefer moving Milwaukee, a team with an AL history, back to the AL and leave Houston in the NL, where they've made their mark.

RBA
10-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd honestly prefer moving Milwaukee, a team with an AL history, back to the AL and leave Houston in the NL, where they've made their mark.

0 World Championships. 1 NL pennant in 48 years.

Mario-Rijo
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
The Rockies always seemed to me like an AL team. Move them to the AL and Houston to the West IMO.

RedsManRick
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Man... Theo to the Cubs, Pirates getting much smarter (though still poor) and no Astros to beat up on. I'm getting a feeling our window is rapidly closing.

KronoRed
10-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Houston works better then the Milwaukee or Colorado because it gives Texas someone to play in their geographical area, unlike what they have now.

Now to get Tampa into the NL East....

cumberlandreds
10-13-2011, 07:09 AM

Milwaukee does have an NL past too. The Braves were located there for about 20 years before moving to Atlanta.
Washington has the most AL past of anyone. They had the Senators for about 70 years.

Unassisted
10-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd honestly prefer moving Milwaukee, a team with an AL history, back to the AL and leave Houston in the NL, where they've made their mark.That would leave the perception that Bud made a mistake in the first place when he moved the Brewers to the NL. Can't have that.

Chip R
10-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I wonder how true this is. If this is a fait accompli, why isn't there more news about it than Gammons' tweet? Why isn't there anything on ESPN about it or MLB.com or Sports Illustrated? I checked the Houston paper and all I saw was an Astros blog with a statement from the Astros' owner to be denying anything has taken place.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/10/12/crane-spokesman-says-no-movement-yet-toward-ownership-change-al-move/

Blitz Dorsey
10-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Better late than never. I've been calling this for the last 5 years. It made no sense to have one division with six teams and other division with four. Only MLB would do something so stupid. It was obvious the Astros would be the ideal team to move to the AL West because they'll have the natural rivalry with the Rangers. Also, Houston is nowhere near the rest of the five NL Central cities, which are all fairly close together. This makes too much sense and has for quite some time.

And I've read stuff that makes it sound like a done deal. Won't take effect until 2013, but it's going to happen.

WVRed
10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Houston works better then the Milwaukee or Colorado because it gives Texas someone to play in their geographical area, unlike what they have now.

Now to get Tampa into the NL East....

MLB most usually has two teams within close geographical areas in different divisions. The only exception to this currently is the Pirates and Phillies:

Reds (NL) Indians (AL)
San Fran (NL) Oakland (AL)
Astros (NL) Rangers (AL)
Marlins (NL) Rays (AL)
Nationals (NL) Orioles (AL)
Cardinals (NL) Royals (AL)

And recently:

Brewers (NL) Twins (AL)

This isn't counting the Yankees-Mets, White Sox-Cubs, and Dodgers-Angels, since they are within the same city or close to it.

I'd move Arizona to the AL West and Houston to the NL West:

NL Central-
Cubs
Reds
Brewers
Pirates
Cardinals

NL West-
Rockies
Astros
Dodgers
Padres
Giants

AL West-
Angels
DBacks
A's
Mariners
Rangers

_Sir_Charles_
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
MLB most usually has two teams within close geographical areas in different divisions. The only exception to this currently is the Pirates and Phillies:

Reds (NL) Indians (AL)
San Fran (NL) Oakland (AL)
Astros (NL) Rangers (AL)
Marlins (NL) Rays (AL)
Nationals (NL) Orioles (AL)
Cardinals (NL) Royals (AL)

And recently:

Brewers (NL) Twins (AL)

This isn't counting the Yankees-Mets, White Sox-Cubs, and Dodgers-Angels, since they are within the same city or close to it.

I'd move Arizona to the AL West and Houston to the NL West:

NL Central-
Cubs
Reds
Brewers
Pirates
Cardinals

NL West-
Rockies
Astros
Dodgers
Padres
Giants

AL West-
Angels
DBacks
A's
Mariners
Rangers

I'd personally say screw it and start over. 2 leagues, 15 teams each league, 3 divisions in each league, each division has 5 teams. All divided up geographically and still allowing for near proximity rivals. Both leagues either have the DH or don't have it. Balanced in both leagues. Personally, I'd abolish the DH and interleague play.

Balanced scheduling to equal the playing field. 18 games against each of your 4 in division opponents (72 games). 9 games against each of your other 10 in league opponents (90 games).

Natural geographic in-state rivals are colored

National League

West
Mariners
A's
Giants
Dodgers
Angels

Southwest
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Rangers
Astros

Central
Twins
Cubs
White Sox
Royals
Cardinals

American League

Central
Reds
Indians
Blue Jays
Tigers
Brewers

Southeast
Marlins
Rays
Nationals
Orioles
Braves

Northeast
Red Sox
Yankees
Mets
Phillies
Pirates

I know it seems weird to have some teams in different leagues, but if we eliminate the stereotypes of the leagues (as in the DH stuff) then that's diminished considerably. It may look weird to have the Pirates in the same division as the Yankees, but it should actually help the pirates in the fact that they'll draw more fans due to the quality of their opponents and should see a rise in their income. I also like the fact that the 4 powerhouse teams in terms of finances are in the same division and thus will only get 1 team in the playoffs (possibly the wild card).

For the playoffs, I go with the 3 division winners and 1 wild card. Best overall record in each league plays the wild card regardless of wild card's record. 2 remaining division winners play each other. 1st round, best of 5. Pennant, best of 7. World series best of 7.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I'd personally say screw it and start over. 2 leagues, 15 teams each league, 3 divisions in each league, each division has 5 teams. All divided up geographically and still allowing for near proximity rivals. Both leagues either have the DH or don't have it. Balanced in both leagues. Personally, I'd abolish the DH and interleague play.

Balanced scheduling to equal the playing field. 18 games against each of your 4 in division opponents (72 games). 9 games against each of your other 10 in league opponents (90 games).

National League

West
Mariners
A's
Giants
Dodgers
Angels

Southwest
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Rangers
Astros

Central
Twins
Cubs
White Sox
Royals
Cardinals

American League

Central
Reds
Indians
Blue Jays
Tigers
Brewers

Southeast
Marlins
Rays
Nationals
Orioles
Braves

Northeast
Red Sox
Yankees
Mets
Phillies
Pirates

I know it seems weird to have some teams in different leagues, but if we eliminate the stereotypes of the leagues (as in the DH stuff) then that's diminished considerably. It may look weird to have the Pirates in the same division as the Yankees, but it should actually help the pirates in the fact that they'll draw more fans due to the quality of their opponents and should see a rise in their income. I also like the fact that the 4 powerhouse teams in terms of finances are in the same division and thus will only get 1 team in the playoffs (possibly the wild card).

For the playoffs, I go with the 3 division winners and 1 wild card. Best overall record in each league plays the wild card regardless of wild card's record. 2 remaining division winners play each other. 1st round, best of 5. Pennant, best of 7. World series best of 7.

Pittsburgh is closer to Cincinnati than it is to Philadelphia, and much closer to Cleveland.

savafan
10-14-2011, 05:26 PM

National League

West
Mariners
A's
Giants
Dodgers
Angels

Southwest
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Rangers
Astros

Central
Twins
Cubs
White Sox
Royals
Cardinals

American League

Central
Reds
Indians
Blue Jays
Tigers
Brewers

Southeast
Marlins
Rays
Nationals
Orioles
Braves

Northeast
Red Sox
Yankees
Mets
Phillies
Pirates

I love this idea.

savafan
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Report: Astros staying put in the National League

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/10/12/11/Report-Astros-staying-put-in-the-Nationa/landing_astros.html?blockID=580268&feedID=3716

According to the Chronicle, a spokesman for Jim Crane's prospective ownership group said there have been "no meetings about moving the Astros to the American League" as of Wednesday morning.

Crane's group is seeking to buy the Astros for $680 million.

KronoRed
10-14-2011, 06:56 PM
MLB most usually has two teams within close geographical areas in different divisions.

True but all of the examples you listed have another team close by in their division.

Texas/Houston in the AL West together works better then two divisions then 1 team in the central time zone and 4/3 in the western time zones.

KronoRed
10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Report: Astros staying put in the National League

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/10/12/11/Report-Astros-staying-put-in-the-Nationa/landing_astros.html?blockID=580268&feedID=3716

This can change quite easily if Bud lets them know moving to the AL is a part of being approved for ownership.

_Sir_Charles_
10-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Pittsburgh is closer to Cincinnati than it is to Philadelphia, and much closer to Cleveland.

But I think it's more useful to take advantage of in-state natural rivalries. 2 from Ohio, 2 from Pennsylvania.

cincinnati chili
10-15-2011, 10:42 AM
This can change quite easily if Bud lets them know moving to the AL is a part of being approved for ownership.

True, and that change can un-change if the current owners threaten to sue MLB for cramming the league switch down their throats and reducing the marketability of their team.

savafan
10-23-2011, 06:18 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/10/04/jim-crane-hasnt-been-asked-formally-about-astros-move-to-al/

Sounds like Crane will walk away from the sale if things aren't settled by Nov. 30th.

Is MLB negotiating in bad faith here by making the league switch a mandatory part of approving the sale? This has never been an issue for any other prospective ownership group in the history of the game.

savafan
10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
All told, this could be easily settled with Arizona switching to the AL since they've said that they would have no problem switching leagues.

Kc61
10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
All told, this could be easily settled with Arizona switching to the AL since they've said that they would have no problem switching leagues.

The problem is too many teams in the NL Central. How does moving Arizona solve that problem?

You would have to move NL Central teams west. I don't see that happening.

savafan
10-23-2011, 06:36 PM
The problem is too many teams in the NL Central. How does moving Arizona solve that problem?

You would have to move NL Central teams west. I don't see that happening.

Easy, you move Houston to the NL West, where they were before the 3 division split.

Kc61
10-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Easy, you move Houston to the NL West, where they were before the 3 division split.

You are correct. Not a bad solution.

Kc61
10-23-2011, 06:41 PM
You are correct. Not a bad solution.

Of course Houston may not like playing all those road games in Western venues with late night start times.

savafan
10-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Of course Houston may not like playing all those road games in Western venues with late night start times.

But it doesn't devalue the franchise and increase payroll like a move to the AL would according to Crane. Astros fans get to see their team stay in the NL, Drayton McLane gets his money, MLB gets their even leagues and Crane gets his team. It's a win-win compromise.

KronoRed
10-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Nope, Crane's complaints about starting times would still apply in the NL west, in fact they would be worst because in the AL west they would at least have the Rangers in their time zone.

He's just trying to get some $ for the move.

savafan
10-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Nope, Crane's complaints about starting times would still apply in the NL west, in fact they would be worst because in the AL west they would at least have the Rangers in their time zone.

He's just trying to get some $ for the move.

I don't know, because he's risking alienating an already shrinking fan base. Houston media polls show that 70% of those who call themselves Astros fans are against a move to the AL. An even more damning figure comes from a poll of Astros season ticket holders that shows 95% of them are against a move to the AL.

Yachtzee
10-24-2011, 12:28 PM

National League

West
Mariners
A's
Giants
Dodgers
Angels

Southwest
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Rangers
Astros

Central
Twins
Cubs
White Sox
Royals
Cardinals

American League

Central
Reds
Indians
Blue Jays
Tigers
Brewers

Southeast
Marlins
Rays
Nationals
Orioles
Braves

Northeast
Red Sox
Yankees
Mets
Phillies
Pirates

With this kind of arrangement, you might as well relegate half the teams to AAA. Part of the reason, I feel, for the income disparity in MLB has been realignment toward smaller divisions and the unbalanced schedule. It allows big market teams to keep revenue amongst themselves. This alignment would exacerbate the problem. I would keep an even balance of large and small market teams in each league, go with two larger divisions in each, and move to a balanced schedule to ensure all small markets have a regular stream of big market opponents to generate interest. It would also help reestablish traditional rivalries (Dodgers-Reds anyone) that were killed with past realignment.

RedsBaron
10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I would rather send the Brewers back to the AL.

RANDY IN INDY
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I would rather send the Brewers back to the AL.

Me too. Or Colorado, Arizona, or Miami.

KronoRed
10-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't know, because he's risking alienating an already shrinking fan base. Houston media polls show that 70% of those who call themselves Astros fans are against a move to the AL. An even more damning figure comes from a poll of Astros season ticket holders that shows 95% of them are against a move to the AL.

Fans would come around, most of them are likely just afraid of being out of a weak division :D