PDA

View Full Version : Best place to eat after the game?

redssince75
06-30-2011, 06:20 PM
So with the AFTERNOON game, my son (11) and I will be looking to eat afterwards. We're staying downtown, so something ballpark-walking distance. Parameters: we'll be wearing shorts & t-shirts and coming from the game, so nothing fancy. He is extremely picky and I am extremely not.

Thoughts?

brm7675
06-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow...what type of food are you looking for? there is a gold star downtown or use to be, there are a few other choices, but downtown doesn't offer a ton of choices.

OGB
06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
I assume the Sunday game is the afternoon game, which severely limits your options.
I think your best bet would be walking over to Newport on the Levee. It only take about 10-15 minutes to cross the bridge over to Kentucky. There your choices are:

Bar Louie - More like a martini bar, but still a casual place. Slightly more upscale bar food, emphasis on stuff made in-house.
Dewey's Pizza - Highly recommend it if you've never eaten there. They have all the basic ingredients, plus things like goat cheese, pine nuts, prosciutto, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, etc.
Johnny Rockets - Old timey diner food. Good shakes, but overall rather overpriced.
Jefferson Hall - Bar food. Good burgers and wings.
Gameworks Sports Cafe - Think Dave and Busters, it has food and games galore. Typical Americana menu.
Claddagh Irish Pub - Some traditional Irish fare, but some of the items on their menu are pretty hit and miss.
Mitchell's Fish Market - You can get away with shorts and tees in here no problem, but it is more expensive, and a more upscale dining experience.
Brother's Sports Bar - Don't go to this place, it stinks.

Also, directly across from the Levee is Arnie's which has decent bar type food - burgers, ribs, wings - and The Hoffbrau Haus, an enormous German style beer hall, which is generally a good time if you can tolerate the oompah music that is played every so often. (Traditional German food - sausages, sauerkrat, potato pancakes - obviously)

Carolina Red
06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
You can walk right down to the Montgomery Inn Boathouse. World renowned ribs. I always make a trip there when I'm in town.

redssince75
06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I assume the Sunday game is the afternoon game, which severely limits your options.

Saturday night after the 4:00 game (subject of another thread).

I'd rather not cross over to KY, staying in the downtown Hyatt.

We might do Gold Star or Skyline I guess, but for "type of food," maybe more pub-grub, wings/burgers that kind of thing

Eric the Red
06-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Saturday night after the 4:00 game (subject of another thread).

I'd rather not cross over to KY, staying in the downtown Hyatt.

We might do Gold Star or Skyline I guess, but for "type of food," maybe more pub-grub, wings/burgers that kind of thing

I'd recommend the Rock Bottom brewery on Fountain Square, which is maybe two blocks from the Hyatt for pub grub, wings/burgers. http://www.rockbottom.com/

The last place I'd go is Champs Sports Bar in the Hyatt, extremlely over priced food and not very tasteful.

mroby85
06-30-2011, 11:37 PM
You can walk right down to the Montgomery Inn Boathouse. World renowned ribs. I always make a trip there when I'm in town.

All you can eat ribs July 1st-4th at Montgomery Inn for like $20 fyi.

HalKing
06-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Jiminy christmas! Deweys Pizza is the friggin place. Just a short walk across the pedestrian bridge to Newport on the Levee. If you are a vegetarian pizza lover as I am it doesn't get any better than the Socrates Revenge. If you are a beer lover as well they have Leinenkugel Summer Shandy on tap.. it don't get better than that either.:thumbup:

mrherd05
07-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Tony Perez Dog across the street at the In-Between.

texasdave
07-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Reds' clubhouse spread is probably pretty nice. The atmosphere is first-rate after a win.

jwmann2
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
If you're hungry before the game, go to the food court in Tower Place Shoppes. After the game, RockBottom Brewery, hands down. If you're looking for something quick, there is a Chipotle next to it.

bounty37h
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
My place, grillin on the back deck all weekend!! Taking my dad to a USA Baseball game tonight, then cooking Sat and Sunday-food from the Meat House, yum!! Beef Tips, Turkey tips, great sausages.

redssince75
07-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Rock Bottom is probably the place. MAYBE Skyline or Gold Star if Rock Bottom looks too crowded. Liked the Deweys Pizza input, but I have one in SL about 10 miles from my house, so looking for something new.

Thanks to all for input.

redssince75
07-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I ended up doing Skyline.

And BOY downtown Cincy has turned sketchy (maybe it always has been). I'm from St. Louis and also lived in KC, and the number of homeless in downtown Cincy far passes those 2. It's like a squatter's camp down here.

Vottomatic
07-03-2011, 02:39 AM
With the way this team is playing, probably better not to eat Skyline or White Castles.