PDA

View Full Version : Bronson Arroyo vs. left handed hitters

Orenda
07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
lefties were hitting 331/ 377/ 602 for a 979 OPS against Arroyo coming into tonight's game. So far he's served up 3 dingers to left handers tonight, is he untouchable or is a rehab stint in order?

Will M
07-01-2011, 09:20 PM
lefties were hitting 331/ 377/ 602 for a 979 OPS against Arroyo coming into tonight's game. So far he's served up 3 dingers to left handers tonight, is he untouchable or is a rehab stint in order?

left handed power hitters have always been Arroyo's Achilles heel.

Orenda
07-01-2011, 09:34 PM
left handed power hitters have always been Arroyo's Achilles heel.

True, but he is getting lit up worse than any point in his career against lefties. His numbers could normalize but I just don't see many southpaws with bad swings against him this year.

savafan
07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Is this one of those made for SyFy movies?

Danny Serafini
07-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Is this one of those made for SyFy movies?

Thanks to you I now have mental images of such things as Mega Python vs. Bronson Arroyo and Bronson Arroyo: The Source. I'm not happy right now! :laugh:

savafan
07-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Thanks to you I now have mental images of such things as Mega Python vs. Bronson Arroyo and Bronson Arroyo: The Source. I'm not happy right now! :laugh:

You're welcome. :D

traderumor
07-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Here's one of those things that must be too easy to be true. Bronson, along with our other starters, have been regularly getting beat on poorly located fastballs. Maybe I'm overstating the case, but I regularly see hitters either taking or looking bad swinging at the breaking stuff early in the count to get ahead. Then, our guy gives in, throws a fastball near the zone, and they jump all over it.

Last night was a glaring example with Arroyo. Early in the count, he was getting ahead with good backup spinners on the inside of the plate. They were either taking strikes or taking poor swings. Then, Arroyo would come in with a fastball, maybe some changeups, get them up, and they pound it. It is as if the scouting report is "wait, these bonehead Reds starters, they'll give you the fastball." Why? Why not stay with the offspeed stuff until they prove they can hit it?

Bronson had no business throwing those left-handers anything but the inside spinners that he was using to get ahead in the count. Make them hit it before you go away from it. Take the Woody Hayes approach and don't care if they know what's coming if they can't do anything about it.

I get the idea of mixing up pitches, but they were missing those spinners that broke on the inside corner at the knees all night, then he would give them an 0-2 fastball. It is puzzling that I can observe these things from my couch and the players can't recognize this. Maybe I'm just making faulty observations :confused:

Big Klu
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Take the Woody Hayes approach

Dusty should start punching players from the other team? (I couldn't resist.)

reds44
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
That contract extension was awful at the time and looks even worse now.

traderumor
07-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Dusty should start punching players from the other team? (I couldn't resist.)Are you my father in law? ;)

Your tag line says it all. Patton was Woody's hero.

BCubb2003
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe Bronson should go to the pen as a roogy.