PDA

View Full Version : Marty's comments regarding Homer

Todd Gack
07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I thought Marty's comments yesterday regarding Homer yesterday were spot on.

I'm paraphrasing here: "Anytime something goes wrong with this man, he simply cannot put it away because it always seems to stick with him."

Examples:

After Janish's error, Homer gives up a 3 run HR.
After Votto doesn't pick up a pop up causing Adam Jones to get a 'single,' Guererro singles and Derek Lee hits a 3run HR.

Of course, these are just his last two starts since coming off the DL, but doesn't it seem like it's happened a lot before?

HalKing
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I sure wouldn't go so far as to say that there isn't truth to Marty's comment, but the bottom line is that Homer produced a quality start yesterday. Thats not only by the book definition of quality start, but just flat out pitched his ass off. Made one really bad pitch and gave up the three run shot. Our offense on the other hand gave him no run support and only one run in the entire game. Yesterday's loss is on the offense. Bailey obviously would have had to throw a shutout in order to win yesterday.

mrherd05
07-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Marty is a self absorbed ******. He ran off Adam Dunn, and now he is turning his sites on Homer and Stubbs.

HalKing
07-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Not sure I minded Dunn leaving town(regardless of who ran him that direction). Not at the price tag it would have required to keep him... but thats a whole nother subject, eh?

Todd Gack
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Marty is a self absorbed ******. He ran off Adam Dunn, and now he is turning his sites on Homer and Stubbs.

Marty's usually right and I think he's right that Homer is mentally weak.

mroby85
07-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Homer pitched fine yesterday in my opinion. He pitched 7 innings, and only gave up 3 runs off one bad pitch. The offense needs to score some runs, especially off of Carmona, and relievers from the 3rd inning on.

TheBigLebowski
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Marty definitely did not like Dunn, but you think he "ran him off?" Seriously?

redsfanmia
07-03-2011, 01:06 PM
The sooner Marty goes the better, I used to love listening to the Reds on Radio but since Joe passed no one reels Marty in and it is the Marty show now instead of Reds baseball.

mrherd05
07-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Like most of you, i grew up listening to Marty and Joe, every single night, from the This one belongs to the Reds, to the Star of the Game show, to Marty's league wrap up, to rounding third and heading for home.

If you listen to Marty right now, if you tune in late and listen to his tone. You would assume we were 25 games under .500, and down in the game 10 to 0.

He went from great, to simply awful, and unbearable to listen to because of his im better than the Reds attitude. Its no longer about the team he covers, its about Marty.

wlf WV
07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
You can be right and still tactful.Sure it bothers Homer,he's competitive,he's also human.Homer has come a long way.I still remember being in my twenties,I'm still a work in progress.I'm sure pointing out his faults over the air is going to help him.I don't know if Marty is a Reds fan.

Vottomatic
07-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I think Marty is better now that Brantley is in the booth with him.

HalKing
07-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Homer pitched fine yesterday in my opinion. He pitched 7 innings, and only gave up 3 runs off one bad pitch. The offense needs to score some runs, especially off of Carmona, and relievers from the 3rd inning on.

THIS, is dead-on accurate

Rantly
07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
...And it happened again last night....walk pitcher on 4 pitches , Weeks hits 3 run "Homer"

HalKing
07-08-2011, 12:36 PM
...And it happened again last night....walk pitcher on 4 pitches , Weeks hits 3 run "Homer"

You must not have followed the thread closely.... the point was about him being overcome by adversity. Walking the pitcher isn't adversity, its a mistake. His own mistake. Last night's loss was on Homer. His previous start it was on the offense, which produced zilch.

Rantly
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
What do you mean? I understood the original post in this thread! Marty apparently stated that whenever something goes wrong, Homer can't put it behind him. It happened after he walked the pitcher last night whether it was his mistake or "adversity"

Tuff Nut
07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Last night's loss was on Homer. While he did have his typical game, I'll throw some blame at Dusty, in the 9th. It was so obvious he was going to have Stubbs try and steal, on the one strike pitch to Cairo. Weeks almost took him off the hook with the error, but then just couldn't get a big hit when needed.

nux fan
07-08-2011, 02:00 PM
marty brenneman is correct the reds are lucky to have some one tell the truth, the "newspaper" columnists are enthralled with Baker and do not question him the way professional reporters should, marty is completely astute in his judgments, Bailey bends under pressure and has done so for over three years

Vottomatic
07-08-2011, 03:25 PM
marty brenneman is correct the reds are lucky to have some one tell the truth, the "newspaper" columnists are enthralled with Baker and do not question him the way professional reporters should, marty is completely astute in his judgments, Bailey bends under pressure and has done so for over three years

At the beginning of the season, it seemed to me that Homer had matured and gotten past the buckling under pressure problem he has had since coming to the majors. But now it appears he's regressed.

The kid has some good stuff. I thought he was less aggressive last night. But I also felt the ump was squeezing him a bit too.

lidspinner
07-08-2011, 03:41 PM
its easy to not like someone when they state the truth and dont hold anything back...Marty might be able to say his words a little different and get the same sentence out of his mouth but then again, that would not be Marty....Marty is Marty because he tells it how it is regardless of who is who....when Griff started going downhill and every coach on staff was sucking his butt and still trotting ken out there to CF everyday, Marty was the one telling you how it should be....and Marty was right.....Marty might not be liked by all, but when I want advice on how I am doing, I wish I could ask Marty.

Boston Red
07-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Marty is a self absorbed ******. He ran off Adam Dunn.

Have you seen Dunn's stats? Thank God someone ran him off.

gilpdawg
07-09-2011, 05:46 AM
What do you mean? I understood the original post in this thread! Marty apparently stated that whenever something goes wrong, Homer can't put it behind him. It happened after he walked the pitcher last night whether it was his mistake or "adversity"
Just because B follows A, doesn't mean A caused B. He made a bad pitch. Made one in the Baltimore game as well. Might have made the same bad pitches no matter what the situation was.

Marty has no clue what is going through the guy's head. Marty thinks he knows everything, but he needs to just shut up and call the game. I don't need his opinion. I'll form my own.

You almost never hear guys like Jon Miller or Scully spouting off at the mouth over every little thing, except for Miller and the Ruben Rivera thing.

As far as I'm concerned, Marty can retire and take Thom with him. Thom's always been a blowhard and Marty should have quit after Joe was forced out of the booth.

I hate saying that, because I grew up with Marty, but this Marty isn't the Marty that I loved and respected.

Rantly
07-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Agreed

AintlifeGrande
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Just because B follows A, doesn't mean A caused B. He made a bad pitch. Made one in the Baltimore game as well. Might have made the same bad pitches no matter what the situation was.

Marty has no clue what is going through the guy's head. Marty thinks he knows everything, but he needs to just shut up and call the game. I don't need his opinion. I'll form my own.

You almost never hear guys like Jon Miller or Scully spouting off at the mouth over every little thing, except for Miller and the Ruben Rivera thing.

As far as I'm concerned, Marty can retire and take Thom with him. Thom's always been a blowhard and Marty should have quit after Joe was forced out of the booth.

I hate saying that, because I grew up with Marty, but this Marty isn't the Marty that I loved and respected.

Agreed.

Todd Gack
07-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Joe needed to be forced out of the booth because he was incoherent at times.

And Marty tells it like it is. Unfortunately, we have too many 'homers' who want to hear how great their team is 100% of the time.

gilpdawg
07-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Joe needed to be forced out of the booth because he was incoherent at times.

And Marty tells it like it is. Unfortunately, we have too many 'homers' who want to hear how great their team is 100% of the time.
Tells it like it is, or feeds his ego by thinking that he's right about everything and excusing it with "well I just tell it like it is?" I can point out several times he's been dead wrong about something. That's not telling it like it is.

jwmann2
07-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Shouldn't have rushed Homer to the league. It was hard not to. Every time he got promoted, his ERA decreased.