PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MLB All-Star game - Jay Bruce over Andrew McCutchen?

big boy
07-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Joe Posnanski doesn't think much of Jay Bruce's defense in right field. He says this:

But then the players voted and ... huh? Excuse me? They voted for Jay Bruce, Matt Holliday and Hunter Pence.

Baseball Reference has Jay Bruce with an 0.2 WAR (Fangraphs is kinder and gives him a 1.4 WAR). This means that they calculate he is roughly two-tenths of a win better than a replacement level player. They rank him so low because they estimate that he has been a dreadful right-fielder in 2011 (after being an excellent fielder in 2010). I don't know if that's right. Look, Bruce is a fine player. But McCutchen is better. He's been better over the last two seasons. And he's a lot better this year. McCutchen's on-base percentage is 60 points higher, he has a higher slugging percentage even though Bruce plays half his games in the Great American Bandbox, he's much faster, he plays a most important defensive position and he plays it better. I tweeted that with the players choosing Bruce over McCutchen might give us a hint about the quality of the next generation's color commentators.

Check it out here (http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/07/mcgriping-about-mccutchen.html).

Stray
07-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah I don't think Bruce is more deserving than McCutchen. As a Reds fan I'm excited he made the team, but taking off my homer glasses McCutchen should definitely be there.

PedroBourbon
07-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you're talking about snubs how do you get by Sabathia? I HATE the Yankees and yes I know he couldn't play anyway since he is due to pitch but the guy is a legit Cy Young candidate this year, again.

will5979
07-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you're talking about snubs how do you get by Sabathia? I HATE the Yankees and yes I know he couldn't play anyway since he is due to pitch but the guy is a legit Cy Young candidate this year, again.

Maybe MLB couldn't dish out enough hotdogs for Tubby Sabathia!

BluegrassRedleg
07-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I think Bruce read this today! :eek:

Putting on a clinic in RF.

DocRed
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Joe Nobody has no clue....absolutely no clue....

Todd Gack
07-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Except for the fact that Jay is the worst hitter in this lineup right now in a lineup full of struggling hitters.

Krawhitham
07-04-2011, 09:14 PM
The players voted during Bruce's epic 2 two week hot streak

BluegrassRedleg
07-04-2011, 09:22 PM

He actually may be the best baseball writer going today, but on this topic, he's off-base.

ruREaDy2
07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
What the baseball writers need to be talking about is the homerism that is Bruce Bochy selecting FOUR of his pitchers from the Giants pitching staff. Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Ryan Vogelsong and Brian Wilson.

Cain and Wilson are very deserving in my honest opinion, but I'm not so sure of Vogelsong and Lincecum. Vogelsong's numbers are good (6-1, 2.13 ERA), however he's started only 13 games this year. Lincecum has a LOSING record at 6-7, but a respectable 3.14 ERA. Little Timmy gets in b/c of name recognition and/or because his skipper IS the selection committee. Sheez.

redssince75
07-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Joe Nobody? You must not get SI. He does most of their baseball stuff now. Plus, he gets the back page column every other issue. One of the best sportswriters going nowadays.

bshall2105
07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Joe Nobody? You must not get SI. He does most of their baseball stuff now. Plus, he gets the back page column every other issue. One of the best sportswriters going nowadays.

After the ridiculous article about tOSU SI has lost all credibility with me.

redssince75
07-04-2011, 11:38 PM
After the ridiculous article about tOSU SI has lost all credibility with me.

lol.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

bounty37h
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah I don't think Bruce is more deserving than McCutchen. As a Reds fan I'm excited he made the team, but taking off my homer glasses McCutchen should definitely be there.

Not saying McCutchen isnt, butBruce was a player of the month this season, that *has* to count for something for an all star game. IMO, the All Star game recognizes who is having an all star year so far as well as past (should be recent) history/reputation.

bshall2105
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
lol.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I doubt you know anything about what is true and what isn't regarding Ohio State.

redssince75
07-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I doubt you know anything about what is true and what isn't regarding Ohio State.

And I'm sure you're an insider with all the true info.

I tend to trust journalistic investigation (such as SI) more than an anonymous internet poster. Plus, I've been around college athletics to know that major D-I is all dirty, no reason to think OSU is any different.

bshall2105
07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
And I'm sure you're an insider with all the true info.

I tend to trust journalistic investigation (such as SI) more than an anonymous internet poster. Plus, I've been around college athletics to know that major D-I is all dirty, no reason to think OSU is any different.

This isn't going anywhere so I will leave it at that.

Vottomatic
07-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd take McCutcheon in a heartbeat over Bruce any day of the week.

There's a reason the dollar sign is used in O$U. Next to UK, the next biggest cheaters in all of college sports. And I was born in Cincinnati and lived here all my life. O$U is a complete embarrassment.

Stray
07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd take McCutcheon in a heartbeat over Bruce any day of the week.

There's a reason the dollar sign is used in O$U. Next to UK, the next biggest cheaters in all of college sports. And I was born in Cincinnati and lived here all my life. O$U is a complete embarrassment.

How exactly is Kentucky cheating lol?

bshall2105
07-07-2011, 02:53 AM
How exactly is Kentucky cheating lol?

Any program that wins on a consistent basis cheats according to everybody that is not a fan or did not attend a certain school

bounty37h
07-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Any program that wins on a consistent basis cheats according to everybody that is not a fan or did not attend a certain school

Well, in honesty, they do have the dirtiest coach in the modern era of sports. His school just vacated what, 40 some wins in his record and turn around and give hm a crazy raise.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I can't believe UK even hired Calipari. He is a known cheater, starting with his corrupt ways at UMass, then Memphis, and you know he's still doing it at UK. Biggest snake in the grass there may ever be in college basketball. I can't wait til he's caught, and I hope UK gets the death penalty, because they should never even have hired him. All they care about is wins. They don't care how they get them.

Stray
07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, in honesty, they do have the dirtiest coach in the modern era of sports. His school just vacated what, 40 some wins in his record and turn around and give hm a crazy raise.

I'm not saying in think Calipari is the cleanest coach in basketball or anything, but to the best of my knowledge none of the stuff in his past is really directly linked to him. Derrick Rose cheated on a test in high school and Calipari played him after the investigation ruled him eligible. I don't believe there is a coach in America that wouldn't have played Rose that season.

Not real sure about UMASS but I think he was the one who reported the violation when he found out Camby was being paid by an agent?

So I get the where there's smoke there's fire argument, but until he is actually breaking rules I hate labeling the guy as a cheater.

usher21
07-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Calipari is better in my eyes,on the other side derrik rose cheated on some occasions,which is not good for the national professional.

bshall2105
07-11-2011, 01:37 AM

Oh, I thought Jim Tressel was not only the least ethical coach in all of sports but also one of the top five worst human beings still alive today. It's good to know that there is somebody worse than him.

bounty37h
07-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh, I thought Jim Tressel was not only the least ethical coach in all of sports but also one of the top five worst human beings still alive today. It's good to know that there is somebody worse than him.

I think Tressel got caught up in it unintentionally and didnt know how to get out-pressures of job and what could happen scared him and caused more problems. I dont think he is a bad guy or person at all, but in this modern era more then ever, coaches fall prey to their players and their actions, and more exposure to it.