PDA

View Full Version : question

jamess697
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM
so at what point do we make some kind of change? After today we are below 500, and they are in 4th place. they need a spark and janish, gomes, renteria, and stubbs just aren't getting it done right now. I am not ready to right them off, but they need some kind of spark.

Who Dey Time
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
IMO there will be a couple of significant changes upon returning from the All-Star break, particularly Cozart and Willis will be up.

jamess697
07-05-2011, 09:27 PM
so after the all star break? we will be like 7 out by then, why wait, sometimes patience is not a good thing. I think they have sit on there hands and expected the fans to buy into this average baseball team. I believe they could be a lot better but you have got to try to put the best team on the field everyday.

ervinsm84
07-05-2011, 09:33 PM
cozart wasnt exactly hitting well until this year and hes like 25 or 26? I agree bringing him up and cutting renteria still makes sense bc he cant really perform much worse than edgar, but i wouldnt expect that to make some huge impact.

Id make heisy the starting lf, but again, i dont think that makes some dramatic change in their win total.

Biggest thing is the current guys just have to perform better. Their run differential still isnt terrible which makes me think all is not lost fwiw. Rolen and stubbs have to perform better at the plate, but idk just how likely that is. Rolens at the twilight of his career and stubbs pretty much is what hes going to be. Bronson has to pitch better. Edinsons has to pitch better, although i doubt it. A lot of times in baseball the simplest explanation is the best. The current guys have to perform better, or its just not going to be good enough.

The one kind of trade I think they could consider is trying to trade hernandez + alonzo (they may not want to bc if he walks after FA this year they get a 1st rd or a sandwich pick between 1st and 2nd, maybe both not sure) and bring up mesoraco to split time with hannigan. Whether they do that or not though depends entirely on what they could get for that kind of package, which i doubt would be a anything near an impact position player or starting pitcher

Krawhitham
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
so after the all star break? we will be like 7 out by then, why wait, sometimes patience is not a good thing. I think they have sit on there hands and expected the fans to buy into this average baseball team. I believe they could be a lot better but you have got to try to put the best team on the field everyday.

What do you want them to do, Cozart is not the answer. A .300 hitter in AAA is a .255 hitter in the majors.

Willis is not the answer because in the last 30 days the Reds have the 2nd best BAA in the NL, so pitching is not the problem

I would like to see JJ Hardy traded for Alonso and a ML catcher before bringing up Cozart. Trading a Catcher also opens up a spot for Mesoraco

This team needs a spark more than anything and a trade will spark more that releasing a player the rest of the team likes (Renteria) to bring up someone who is not the answer at SS.

kfm
07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
This season has been so frustrating. It is not just that they can't find a way to win close games or to score consistently, it is that the front office is content to do absolutely nothing about it. This team needs a leadoff hitter and while Dave Sappelt still needs to become a much better baserunner, he is this teams leadoff hitter and the answer that they have been searching for since Bip Roberts beat them in arbitration in the early 90s. They don't have a catcher who can play everyday but they have a catcher leading his respective league in OPS, they need shorstop who can provide some type of offensive punch to just extend this lineup and they have that in AAA and they will not call him up. I just don't get it. I understand that they thought Rolen would produce this year and that Johnny Gomes was a full time player and that the Hanigan Hernandez tandem would produce like it did last year and that Renteria still had some hits and defense left in his bat and that they hoped Drew Stubbs would be their leadoff guy, and that Volquez was their number one starter but they have been wrong about all of this. They have possible answers in AAA, because you don't know until a guy is actually playing in MLB but it seems like they have a bunch of guys who have shown that they have done what they need to do in AAA and if it means they lose Edgar Renteria, or they have to trade Ramon Hernandez to the Giants or they lose Fred lewis so be it. How is doing nothing or waiting until they are 7 games out leadership? I just don't get it.

Krawhitham
07-05-2011, 09:45 PM
1st thing I would do is hire the hitting coach

A guy with a career .334 OBP should not be a hitting coach, more than half of the players in baseball this season have a higher OBP