PDA

View Full Version : Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

Degenerate39
07-05-2011, 11:56 PM
I believe that he should definitly be considered for the Hall after he retires.

reds1869
07-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I think he certainly is in the mix. Defensively he is one of the greatest ever to play. His offensive numbers aren't too shabby, either. A quick perusal of HOF 3B shows that he stacks up quite favorably.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofst3b.shtml

Griffey012
07-06-2011, 12:49 AM
I was having this discussion with a buddy the other day, then it got me thinking, if he was a hall of famer...what team would he go in as?

He won a ring with the Cards and had some good years there, but I do not think he has an ounce of respect for TLR, and I know he had a pretty bad ending with STL? IIRC he didn't have the best of exits from Philly either. Not sure which of those two hats he would wear.

RedsManRick
07-06-2011, 12:55 AM
I think so, but then again, I'm a "big hall" guy.

On Fangraphs Career WAR leaderboard, he's pretty much right at that cutoff point where the guys above him are in and the ones below him are not.

As far as I'm concerned, he's got a very similar case to Larkin. One of the best defenders in the league throughout his career. Above average with the bat, if not always elite. Played a long time, but missed a lot of games due to injury.

Here's some guys for comparison. Again, I like him in the hall, but I could certainly understand thinking he doesn't make the cut. If you're not going to put Santo in, then how can you justify Rolen?

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/970_97_1011055_1011447_ograph_%20_7_5_2011.png

AtomicDumpling
07-06-2011, 01:06 AM
I think Rolen is a borderline HOFer. His offensive numbers are good but not good enough to get him in. Really the only stellar number is his 300+ homers. His defense was elite. He won a lot of Gold Gloves -- and those Gold Gloves were legitimately earned unlike those won by the likes of Derek Jeter. Rolen's case is boosted because he was a clean player in a PEDs-tainted era. I think if Rolen can play another couple healthy and productive seasons then he will get in.

George Anderson
07-06-2011, 01:16 AM
I am a huge Scott Rolen fan but I think he comes up short for the HOF. If you compare his numbers to Matt Williams you will see they are very simlilar. Unfortunately for Rolen, Williams got very little support for the HOF. I think his vote percentage was never above 15%. So if Williams had such weak support and Williams and Rolen are very comparable, I don't anticipate Rolen getting over the hump of 75%

fearofpopvol1
07-06-2011, 05:34 AM
I think so, but then again, I'm a "big hall" guy.

On Fangraphs Career WAR leaderboard, he's pretty much right at that cutoff point where the guys above him are in and the ones below him are not.

As far as I'm concerned, he's got a very similar case to Larkin. One of the best defenders in the league throughout his career. Above average with the bat, if not always elite. Played a long time, but missed a lot of games due to injury.

Here's some guys for comparison. Again, I like him in the hall, but I could certainly understand thinking he doesn't make the cut. If you're not going to put Santo in, then how can you justify Rolen?

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/970_97_1011055_1011447_ograph_%20_7_5_2011.png

He's also not finished playing yet though, right? Santo is at 79.3 WAR, Rolen is currently at 73.9 with a season and a half on his current contract. It's not unrealistic at all for Rolen to reach Santo by the end of next year. This assumes as well that he retires at the end of next year. I realize you're saying that even if his numbers are similar to Santo's, Rolen shouldn't be in because Santo isn't in.

I'm just saying, Rolen isn't finished with his career yet and we don't know when he'll be done definitively, even if all signs point to him retiring after next season.

Ron Madden
07-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Right now I think Rolen is a borderline HOF'er. Not very many third basemen in the HOF so that might help his case ya never know.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes.

CySeymour
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd vote for him, once you factor in defense. His offensive numbers don't stack up to his era peer, Chipper Jones, but he was vastly superior defensively. Really one of the all time greats with the glove at 3rd. With that, I'd put him in.

bellhead
07-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer... ..... .... Yes...

Will he have to wait ..... Yes...

Will the Hall of fame ballot matter the year he is voted in...... YES!!!

kaldaniels
07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm suprised to see Brooks Robinson doing so well on that chart. From all I've heard in stories, he is an "underserving" HOF guy. So much for that premise.

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
No.

kaldaniels
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I am a huge Scott Rolen fan but I think he comes up short for the HOF. If you compare his numbers to Matt Williams you will see they are very simlilar. Unfortunately for Rolen, Williams got very little support for the HOF. I think his vote percentage was never above 15%. So if Williams had such weak support and Williams and Rolen are very comparable, I don't anticipate Rolen getting over the hump of 75%

My memory evades me, but was Williams anywhere close to Rolen with the glove? Defense is huge.

George Anderson
07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
My memory evades me, but was Williams anywhere close to Rolen with the glove? Defense is huge.

I am not a new age stats guy but Williams did win 4 GG's.

camisadelgolf
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
He's a first ballot HoFer for me. Offensively, his numbers are barely good enough, but when you factor his defense, he's a slam dunk choice.

_Sir_Charles_
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm suprised to see Brooks Robinson doing so well on that chart. From all I've heard in stories, he is an "underserving" HOF guy. So much for that premise.

Undeserving? Wow. I don't think I've ever heard that sentiment before. In my book, Brooks is the best 3b to ever live. There have been better hitters there obviously (and he was no slouch at the dish...not by a long shot), but once you factor in the glove. #1 for me.

As for Rolen, great guy, good player, excellent defender...just falls short for me. I want GREAT in the Hall...not just very good.

kaldaniels
07-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Undeserving? Wow. I don't think I've ever heard that sentiment before. In my book, Brooks is the best 3b to ever live. There have been better hitters there obviously (and he was no slouch at the dish...not by a long shot), but once you factor in the glove. #1 for me.

As for Rolen, great guy, good player, excellent defender...just falls short for me. I want GREAT in the Hall...not just very good.

No time to find it now, but it's out there.

George Anderson
07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
No time to find it now, but it's out there.

Brooks received 91.98% of the HOF vote total in 1983. If people think he wasn't deserving of the HOF they are very few and far between.

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2011, 04:29 PM
If Larkin isn't first ballot, no way Rolen is. I don't think Rolen even makes the cut. If he would have had two or three more seasons like his 2004, he'd be in. As it is, he falls short.

OnBaseMachine
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
He's a Hall of Famer in my book.

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
He's a Hall of Famer in my book.

/rememberthetitansvoice