PDA

View Full Version : False Alarm: A Move Has NOT Happened

reds44
07-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't know what it is, but the Louisville starter for tonight just went from Wood to Willis to TBA.

Something has gone done.

Tommyjohn25
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Whatever it is, I'm sure it will not be anything more than chair shuffling. JMO.

westofyou
07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
The beast is hungry, any move must satisfy a hungry and assuming crowd.

Blitz Dorsey
07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm sure it's something minor like Arroyo might miss one start and Willis might take his place.

REDREAD
07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I'd be happy with Volquez being sent back to AAA and either Willis or Wood taking his place.

Volquez needs to spend the rest of the year in AAA. Then bring him back to spring training next year and make him fight for his life.

Blitz Dorsey
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd be happy with Volquez being sent back to AAA and either Willis or Wood taking his place.

Volquez needs to spend the rest of the year in AAA. Then bring him back to spring training next year and make him fight for his life.

Maybe we can trade him to the Rangers for Josh Hamilton. We'll even throw in a 5-foot-5, 45th-round draft pick just to "sweeten the pot."

(Too soon?)

OldXOhio
07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Wood back to being the starter in Louisville tonight

And BP is tweeting about a new role, one he's been asked to do before. Leading off?

RedLegSuperStar
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM

And BP is tweeting about a new role, one he's been asked to do before. Leading off?

Cause I doubt it's SS

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Leadoff or cleanup.

camisadelgolf
07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
The Reds traded for Chase Utley and moved BP to shortstop.[/yeah, right]

Brutus
07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Leadoff or cleanup.

He did the cleanup thing quite a bit there for a while. Anyone here should remember vividly because it was quite the topic of conversation lol

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:37 PM
It's Willis for Volquez. I'd almost bet the house on that.

The question is, does Cozart come up too?

LvJ
07-06-2011, 04:37 PM

That is very interesting...

CarolinaRedleg
07-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Fay noted on Twitter that if there is a move, press would probably know something around 5:00.

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Phillips is hitting cleanup, Heisey leadoff, Renteria 2nd.

Heisey is in CF, btw.

kbrake
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I think I'd rather beat my head off a wall for 3 hours than watch this team play tonight. Good work, Walt.

batsfan
07-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Guessing Arroyo to DL, Willis up.

wheels
07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Just when I wanted to clear my head of anything Reds for a couple of days...Now I have to monitor this situation.

I am truly a Baseball addict.

CarolinaRedleg
07-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Arroyo's in the lineup as well. D-Train's staying at the depot.

OnBaseMachine
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Renteria batting second. That will solve everything!

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Maybe nothing has happened lol

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I think I'd rather beat my head off a wall for 3 hours than watch this team play tonight. Good work, Walt.

Bob Castellini must love hearing stuff like this. Especially after the way his team routinely treats sellout crowds at GABP. Honestly, on Friday night, the most exciting thing all night for the crowd was the Skyline Chili Shuffle on the big screen.

That's the kind of stuff that doesn't exactly make people want to come back.

signalhome
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Wow. Renteria hitting second is unbelievable. I'm 100% sure that solves nothing.

REDREAD
07-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe we can trade him to the Rangers for Josh Hamilton. We'll even throw in a 5-foot-5, 45th-round draft pick just to "sweeten the pot."

(Too soon?)

Yea, too soon.. people willl still insist that we can still "win" the trade.
They will also insist that it was the right thing to do at the time, regardless of the outcome.

Pretty amazing that Volquez might be cut at the end of the year if he doesn't get his act together.. He's in his second year of arb, can't be sent to AAA next year, and is generally useless on the mound.. Any team that wants to contend can't keep running him out there and hoping he gets his act together.

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
LouisvilleBats Who will #BatsBlast? Cozart 6, Sappelt 8, Alonso 7, Mesoraco 2, Hermida 9, Dorn DH, Frazier 3, Costanzo 5, Valaika 4, Wood 1

lol. At most we will get Willis for Volquez. Print those playoff tickets baby!

oneupper
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow. Renteria hitting second is unbelievable. I'm 100% sure that solves nothing.

CF leads off, SS hits second.
The team lost its way when it deviated from this time-tested formula.

Reds Freak
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I know everyone is frustrated with this season but a lot of people on here are making Bob/Walt out to be Mike Brown.

oneupper
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM

The latter has lead to the former for me!

reds44
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I know everyone is frustrated with this season but a lot of people on here are making Bob/Walt out to be Mike Brown.
Oh it's not Bob's fault. It's on Walt.

RichRed
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
CF leads off, SS hits second.
The team lost its way when it deviated from this time-tested formula.

That's what I was thinking. Back to basics.

OldXOhio
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
LouisvilleBats Who will #BatsBlast? Cozart 6, Sappelt 8, Alonso 7, Mesoraco 2, Hermida 9, Dorn DH, Frazier 3, Costanzo 5, Valaika 4, Wood 1

lol. At most we will get Willis for Volquez. Print those playoff tickets baby!

Not surprising, but I guess it's a start. Addition by subtraction for now, esp if Willis can keep his ERA around 4.00.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Both teams have been to the playoffs in the past two years, and neither has won a game.

Brutus
07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. That's what this is.

bucksfan2
07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Bringing Willis up for Volquez makes little sense. You bring a reliever or an extra bat up and then option that player down when Volquez's spot in the rotation comes up.

OldXOhio
07-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. That's what this is.

Desperation, the world's worst cologne.

CarolinaRedleg
07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
http://img.tfd.com/wn/18/5F7F8-punt.gif

Always Red
07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh it's not Bob's fault. It's on Walt.

How do you know?

Maybe Bob's not opening up his wallet, and we're stuck with what we have? :(

VR
07-06-2011, 06:02 PM

He batted second for the 1997 World Champs......that's convincing enough for Dusty. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
07-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Maybe there is something to the rumor of Ramon to San Fran? Just throwing something different out there

Benihana
07-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Maybe there is something to the rumor of Ramon to San Fran? Just throwing something different out there

If that were the case, I don't think Mez would be in the Louisville lineup tonight.

As others have said, wake me up when we do something substantial. I too have had enough of shuffling deck chairs.

RedLegSuperStar
07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
If that were the case, I don't think Mez would be in the Louisville lineup tonight.

As others have said, wake me up when we do something substantial. I too have had enough of shuffling deck chairs.

Cough.. Corky.. Cough

_Sir_Charles_
07-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Renteria in the lineup, as is Lewis. Just odd that he'd go with Renteria in the 2 hole. Not sure I get the thinking on that one.

Benihana
07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Cough.. Corky.. Cough

He's the key to the whole thing! He'll turn it around!

_Sir_Charles_
07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Bringing Willis up for Volquez makes little sense. You bring a reliever or an extra bat up and then option that player down when Volquez's spot in the rotation comes up.

Unless they're moving Dontrelle to the pen and LeCure back to the rotation. Then it makes "sense". I just really prefer Sam in that long-man role. He seems to have really adapted to it.

Guacarock
07-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Just odd that he'd go with Renteria in the 2 hole. Not sure I get the thinking on that one.

If Cozart's coming up in another day or two, then perhaps Dusty is getting the rest of the ducks properly aligned in the batting order, with the idea that Cozart would be batting second. That would be a possible and logical place to let him hit.

Otherwise, it makes little sense to bat Renteria second, unless it's meant as a classy send-off.

klw
07-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Moving Phillips to cleanup does make some sense as he has been the hottest bat of late- though that it all relative. Maybe getting him behind Votto gets Votto a bit more protection (even if it is only perceived) and takes some pressure off Bruce/Rolen.

lollipopcurve
07-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Gotta think major moves, if they happen, will happen at the break.....

reds44
07-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Baker: Willis being pulled from start "could be" related to #Reds. State secrets.
half a minute ago via TweetDeck

Willis for Volquez it is.

Brutus
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Baker: Willis being pulled from start "could be" related to #Reds. State secrets.
half a minute ago via TweetDeck

Willis for Volquez it is.

It would make sense because they'd have to first get Volquez through waivers. So by doing it now, it gives them a few days to see if that goes through.

cinreds21
07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
It would make sense because they'd have to first get Volquez through waivers. So by doing it now, it gives them a few days to see if that goes through.

They could just option Volquez. No need to outright or designate him.

Brutus
07-06-2011, 07:29 PM
They could just option Volquez. No need to outright or designate him.

They would have to pass him through option waivers. I'm not talking about outrighting him. He would still have to be subject to waivers in order to be optioned (see the Janish/Volquez thread).

cinreds21
07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Dontrelle is piggybacking Travis Wood tonight for Louisville.

wheels
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Dontrelle is piggybacking Travis Wood tonight for Louisville.

:laugh:

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
:laugh:

Apparently there was smoke but, as usual, no fire. Dontrelle Willis will pitch tonight in Louisville and Edinson Volquez will make his regularly scheduled comedy appearance on Sunday, according to Jocketty.

Walt had this to say about a shake up:
“I don’t normally react that way,” Jocketty said. “If I make a move, I don’t do so not to shake things up but to make the club better.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

reds44
07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2011/07/06/jocketty-no-shake-up/

The organization has a collection of young players at Triple-A Louisville doing well — whether it’s Zack Cozart, Devin Mesoraco or Yonder Alonso. Asked if they could make this club better, Jocketty declined to discuss.

“I’m not going to answer a question like that so stop asking,” Jocketty said.

ahahaahahahaah

Matt700wlw
07-06-2011, 08:37 PM
If they really don't think these guys can help the team....THEN TRADE THEM for proven players who CAN help!

Brutus
07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Walt's starting to get defensive.

I trust he has a method to his madness, but I'm really starting to question what it is. I am glad he's not doing things just to shake things up. He's right that's not a very prudent approach. But the goal should be to improve the team and considering they're now under .500, it's well past time to do just that.

Matt700wlw
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Walt's starting to sound like Marvin Lewis.

reds1869
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Walt's starting to sound like Marvin Lewis.

And the team is trending in a similar direction. I've been a big supporter of Walt but find his recent attitude very disappointing.

Superdude
07-06-2011, 08:47 PM
The organization has a collection of young players at Triple-A Louisville doing well whether its Zack Cozart, Devin Mesoraco or Yonder Alonso. Asked if they could make this club better, Jocketty declined to discuss.

Im not going to answer a question like that so stop asking, Jocketty said.

:bang: I genuinely hate this man right now.

reds44
07-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Shame on me for thinking the Reds did something, anything. I apologize everyone.

Nothing has happened. Everything is fine.

Matt700wlw
07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
And the team is trending in a similar direction. I've been a big supporter of Walt but find his recent attitude very disappointing.

I'm with you. Very discouraging.

AtomicDumpling
If Walt Jocketty is incapable of improving the team maybe it is time to replace him with someone who can. It has been years since he has done anything to improve the club he inherited.

paintmered
Walt has always held stuff close to the cuff. I don't see why we should be outraged at him when we should have all expected such a comment out of him.

Lack of comment doesn't necessarily mean lack of movement. I want to see the latter, I don't care about the former.

IslandRed
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Walt has always held stuff close to the cuff. I don't see why we should be outraged at him when we should have all expected such a comment out of him.

Lack of comment doesn't necessarily mean lack of movement. I want to see the latter, I don't care about the former.

Yep. Might as well ask a poker player what his hole cards are.

Not saying that the no-comment comments are indicative that anything's about to happen, mind you. But his m.o. is pretty consistent over the years -- whatever it is he does or doesn't do, we'll find out when it's time to find out.

Superdude
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
If they really don't think these guys can help the team....THEN TRADE THEM for proven players who CAN help!

Dude be patient. Prospects aren't worth anything until they crack thirty.

Rojo
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I like to remember that these are people we're talking about and that you can't shuffle them around like chessmen without messing with the team's psyche.....but:

A) At this point, Volquez might want to send himself to Louisville to iron out his first inning jitters. He can't be having fun right now.

B) Cozart must be wondering what he needs to do to make the bigs.

C) It's not like anyone's clamoring to replace everyone who's just slumping. Arroyo, Bruce, Stubbs and Rolen have all had their troubles, but I'm fine with Dusty's Tammy Wynette routine with those guys. But EV hasn't re-established himself, Gomes was never that good and Janish is, and always was, a banjo hitter.

redsmetz
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
This has to be one of the more amusing threads in the history of Redszone. Sort of reminds me of the monument my wife has told me about in her hometown, Jefferson City, MO (and Sam LeCure's!) commemorating a battle that almost happened there during the Civil War.

Big Klu
07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
If Walt Jocketty is incapable of improving the team maybe it is time to replace him with someone who can. It has been years since he has done anything to improve the club he inherited.

There it is. I have been wondering when I would see a post calling for Walt's and/or Dusty's head. The answer is July 6.

Matt700wlw
07-06-2011, 09:12 PM
There it is. I have been wondering when I would see a post calling for Walt's and/or Dusty's head. The answer is July 6.

Did anyone start a pool on that?

Joseph
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Damn, I had the 8th, so close!

cinreds21
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Shame on me for thinking the Reds did something, anything. I apologize everyone.

Nothing has happened. Everything is fine.

Tisk tisk. :nono:

:)

edabbs44
07-06-2011, 09:31 PM

I was thinking of the irony of much of the recent griping. Many failed to give credit to WJ last year b/c he inherited much of the team and have to do much with the roster, yet he is now criticized for not doing anything this past offseason to improve basically the same roster.

Superdude
07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I was thinking of the irony of much of the recent griping. Many failed to give credit to WJ last year b/c he inherited much of the team and have to do much with the roster, yet he is now criticized for not doing anything this past offseason to improve basically the same roster.

Are you just pointing out the irony or saying we shouldn't be griping about Walt?

Reds Freak
07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Walt has a decent history of building successful ball clubs. Us? We're commenting on a fan message board. I trust the man, with a proven track record, to do his job.

edabbs44
07-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Are you just pointing out the irony or saying we shouldn't be griping about Walt?

This point was purely on the irony, but I think my overall position on Jocketty is well documented.

OldXOhio
07-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Fay still saying he believes Dontrelle will be in MIL this weekend.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Fay still saying he believes Dontrelle will be in MIL this weekend.

They might need another arm after the bullpen was taxed tonight. And who knows what the deal is with Lecure?

AtomicDumpling
07-07-2011, 02:06 AM

Where is the irony? The core of the team as it stands now is almost identical to the team he inherited years ago. The team proved last year it was good enough to win baseball's weakest division but not nearly good enough to be a threat in the playoffs. It was obvious that improvements were needed. He has had plenty of time and opportunity to improve the team and has failed to do it. If he can't find a way to improve the team the Reds should replace him like the Cardinals did.

AtomicDumpling
07-07-2011, 02:37 AM
A case can be made that Janish has been the worst position player in the major leagues this year. If the Reds don't have a viable alternative somewhere in their system for the worst player in baseball then whose fault is that?

Seems to me an adequate General Manager would be sure to have a decent fallback at every position.

Paul Janish's line so far this year is .229/.261/.273 -- that is a ghoulish .534 OPS!

I think Cozart is the best in-house option the Reds have to fill the gaping chasm at shortstop. Cozart is certainly not going to be an All Star, but I bet he can manage better than Janish.

Superdude
07-07-2011, 02:44 AM
A case can be made that Janish has been the worst position player in the major leagues this year. If the Reds refuse to recognize the viable alternative for the worst player in baseball then whose fault is that?

There ya go :thumbup:

Guacarock
07-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Groundhog Day.

cinreds21
07-07-2011, 06:50 AM
For what it's worth, Dontrelle did not come in after Woody tonight for Louisville. That might mean something, or it might have to do with Wood dealing over seven innings. I'm guessing the latter?

edabbs44
07-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Where is the irony? The core of the team as it stands now is almost identical to the team he inherited years ago. The team proved last year it was good enough to win baseball's weakest division but not nearly good enough to be a threat in the playoffs. It was obvious that improvements were needed. He has had plenty of time and opportunity to improve the team and has failed to do it. If he can't find a way to improve the team the Reds should replace him like the Cardinals did.

The irony is that he didnt have to do anything last year and now, with most of the same team in place, he hasn't done enough. With Votto, Bruce, BP, Stubbs, volquez, Wood, Arroyo and Cordero already in house, therewasnt much to do at all. Until this year.

signalhome
07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
A case can be made that Janish has been the worst position player in the major leagues this year.

I would say that distinction belongs to the great Chone Figgins.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1580&position=3B

Man that's bad.

IslandRed
07-07-2011, 11:02 AM
For what it's worth, Dontrelle did not come in after Woody tonight for Louisville. That might mean something, or it might have to do with Wood dealing over seven innings. I'm guessing the latter?

The "piggyback" thing sounded fishy from the get-go. After 13 starts, suddenly he's going to the bullpen in Louisville for no particular reason? I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that was a delaying tactic -- "we have to give them some reason why he isn't taking the ball in Louisville but isn't in Cincinnati either," etc.

Chip R
07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Arroyo had a bout with vertigo on Monday and that's why they moved Willis back.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110705/SPT04/307050012/Arroyo-s-latest-malady-Vertigo?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Reds

REDREAD
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Hold on man.. That's a little bit of an exaggeration.

Yea, this season has been disappointing..
What could've been done to fix it in the offseason?

I guess Walt could've had a crystal ball and saw the following players were going to struggle or be super streaky: Arroyo, Rolen, Janish, Volquez, Wood, Bruce, Stubbs, Chapman, Arrondo.. Who on this board forsaw that, especially Wood? The offseason whipping boys (Leake and Gomes) are actually doing ok. Yea, Gomes is not a superstar, but he's projected at 2.4 WAR.. that's pretty good at the salary he's making.

As I said in another thread, even in a fantasy world, if the Reds added Cliff Lee and either DeJesus or Willingham in the offseason, the team would still be in trouble.. Too many of the mainstays are having down years.

cinreds21
07-07-2011, 01:14 PM
The "piggyback" thing sounded fishy from the get-go. After 13 starts, suddenly he's going to the bullpen in Louisville for no particular reason? I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that was a delaying tactic -- "we have to give them some reason why he isn't taking the ball in Louisville but isn't in Cincinnati either," etc.

Piggybacking is to get a guy innings without having to totally disrupt the rotation. Now you may be right, but that's usually what it's used for.